Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2020 iPhone with Touch ID AND Face ID

• Both

• Only Face ID

• Only Touch ID

• I don’t care!’

Results are only viewable after voting.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I have yet to miss Touch ID since 2017... it just feels so old now when I unlock my kids phone with it.

The pin code.

Both your thumbprint and what your face looks like are not actual secrets. Also, courts have compelled people to give up biometric information. So far (to my knowledge), no court has been successful in compelling a person to give up a secret code (password).

I have memorized a 6 digit code that was generated randomly and I use this to unlock the phone.

Not to mention, I was looking at my new (to me) iPhone 8 the other day in the sun. I could see my thumbprint crystal clear sitting there in the "button" circle. Literally that would be the password sitting out in clear text. Just seems stupid to me.

Face ID is also useless if you cover up the front camera on the phone. I know a few people who do this. They use the back camera all the time but they aren't into "Selfies" or "FaceTime".

Reactions: Project Alice

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
Both would be nice. I’ll admit Face ID comes in really handy sometimes but Touch ID was faster.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
LOL , I made my subjective, a bit over the top point. :)

I just think people need to move on, if we didn’t, we would still be riding horses because of those who feel uncomfortable moving onto the automobile. ;)
Just cause it’s newer doesn’t make it better. Why don’t TVs have 3D any more? It’s newer and thus automatically better.

I’ve had both the iPhone X and iPad Pro 3 since their launches and I honestly prefer Touch ID. It’s beyond annoying to have to lean over a table to unlock my phone, or move around in bed because a pillow is slightly obstructing my face, or look down while I’m driving to open maps. It’s even worse on iPad because my fingers constantly are blocking the camera on accident or if I have it on my table it says my face is too far. The funny thing is Face ID would probably work best on the Mac and yet the Mac is the only device still with Touch ID.

Yea Face ID has pros like working with gloves, but also is less secure if you have a twin. The obvious answer is to have both to cover each others short comings.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
FaceID works better when I'm holding the phone and prepared to use it but I use the phone many times throughout the day where my face isn't in front of it so I'm STILL missing touchID - it worked better (for me) in many more situations.
Definitely want Touch for Apple Pay and new apps instead of the clunky double power press. I could pay faster by double tapping and holding my thumb on home as I moved the iPhone to the terminal.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple could offer both touch ID and face ID if they wanted to. But I believe that they spent millions of dollars in R&D to make face ID their future. They probably would rather perfect (<— I use that word loosely) one technology then have two technologies, especially given how much they truly believe in Face ID and it’s overall stringent security.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Touch ID is more accurate. You can actually unlock your phone faster and under the covers in bed. Can't do that with face id.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
Honestly, I prefer Face ID. I love how fast and effective it is. It works perfect whether I wear contacts, glasses, etc. It’s much faster for me and I don’t miss Touch ID at all.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
With face id the big issue for me is the ‘notch’ to house the sensors. It obscures the relatively small screen of an iphone and wastes valuable screen estate. If they placed the sensors in a minimum bezel it would have solved this issue, and allowed for a perfect rectangular screen which is all i want. For this reason i vote touch id only (under screen, or on the power button to allow for an ‘all screen display’). This is just my own opinion of course.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
In this day of having to wear gloves - touch id is sort of "worthless" to me. I have a phone with face-id and ipad with touch and even without the gloves issue - face is much more accurate for me - of course I have never used a phone while in bed - it get plugged in in another room with mute on when I go to bed

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I like both, TouchID on my iPad Air 2 is fast and reliable, and FaceID on my iPhone 11 Pro Max is fast and reliable to.

If we could have both in a phone and on a tablet it would be great.

What I love about FaceID is how cohesive it is in daily usage, you don’t realize how much is going on with this thing and don’t actually realize how advanced of a system it is until you use a competing device.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I prefer Touch ID. Both are rumored to be coming on the 2021 iPhone.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Face ID all the way! I will never go back to the dark days of Touch ID. I don't know how many times I've had to enter my PIN because of the fingerprint reader not reading correctly. The only advantage of Touch ID is wearing a mask but I don't expect this will be a permanent thing
[automerge]1587338086[/automerge]
Is Face ID in landscape mode a thing yet?
On the iPad Pro it is. The reason is people have their iPads on a keyboard setup in landscape. Not many people set their phones on a desk with a keyboard so I guess Apple hasn't done it yet.

Reactions: Stridr69

Calebtt

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Touch ID was one of the features that brought me to iPhone when was first introduced. If they could do Touch ID without a button and get rid of the notch I’d like to see that, otherwise I’ll keep Face ID.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
In this day of having to wear gloves - touch id is sort of "worthless" to me. I have a phone with face-id and ipad with touch and even without the gloves issue - face is much more accurate for me - of course I have never used a phone while in bed - it get plugged in in another room with mute on when I go to bed
TouchID works through powder-free vinyl and nitrile gloves for me. That was pretty surprising.

Reactions: russell_314
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.