Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2020 iPhone with Touch ID AND Face ID

• Both

• Only Face ID

• Only Touch ID

• I don’t care!’

Results are only viewable after voting.

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
You guys fully understand that Face ID is less secure and all it was Meant to be was a Marketing tool. Even if you never enroll in FaceID it’s still tracking Faces if anyone is looking at the device.
Just imagine you can skip a YouTube video today after 5 seconds. But soon, you can only skip that video if any when FaceID cameras detect a person is actually looking at the ad.
Ive never enrolled in FaceID on my iPad Pro but when I glance at myNews a feed it quickly Updates. Because Face ID cameras have detected a glance which triggers an immediate Update to fresh News which always gets me to look more at the top stories.

Its pretty frightening and genius.

You see ads on youtube? Adguard is your friend.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
More options imo tends to be better. On my Galaxy A71, I enabled its face recognition so I can go in while wearing gloves.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, Touch ID isn't as dead or as bad: the new iPad Air has it built into its top (sleep/power) button.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I'd kill for Touch ID to be build into the iPhone 12 home button like on the new iPad Air. This whole mask thing has made me absolutely detest Face ID since I now have to put my passcode in every time I want to use my phone when I'm out.

Reactions: redbeard331

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I'd kill for Touch ID to be build into the iPhone 12 home button like on the new iPad Air. This whole mask thing has made me absolutely detest Face ID since I now have to put my passcode in every time I want to use my phone when I'm out.
Covid-19 should guarantee wide-zone Touch ID on the iphone 13.

Dual biometric authentication should be on the top of Apple's list of necessary features for their next iPhone.

I want to think that anyway...

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
The iphone 12 should also have touch id on the power button, but I guess the phone's design had already been finalized last year, so room for last minute changes (?)

Last edited:
Reactions: AJAAY and Ralfi

Lakris

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2020
Norway
Face-id. I love it. Touch ID did often not recognize my finger because I was cold or moist but Face ID recognizes me every time except when I use a mud mask. ?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
No reason there can’t be both. What logical reason against having both is there? Security? Disable it if you’re that paranoid.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Don’t worry, they won’t make your Pro Max $1101.99 if they add it.

I’ve not read of recent cost data (anyone has?) but the article was speculating Face ID components needed for iP X was $60. I think Touch ID is orders of magnitude less than that (like $7 from way back iPhone 5S) on physical button at least. So adding Face ID probably isn’t trivial cost an cheaper models don’t have it like SE2.

AXone1814

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2018
They are both pretty convenient methods, let be fair here.
I agree. But people are bound to have a preference on what is faster or more convenient for them. Especially with having to wear face masks now a lot of people may prefer Touch ID.

Either way you seem to be missing the point I was making which was that the question isn’t based on people getting excited about unlocking their phone but rather from what gives them the best user experience when using their device.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I agree. But people are bound to have a preference on what is faster or more convenient for them. Especially with having to wear face masks now a lot of people may prefer Touch ID.

Either way you seem to be missing the point I was making which was that the question isn’t based on people getting excited about unlocking their phone but rather from what gives them the best user experience when using their device.
I did get your point but the discussion about the two is anything from user experience to people absorbed by features they find exciting. The post you quoted of mine was from last year so I made my point know back then.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Power button Touch ID like on the new Air 4, now makes it possible to introduce a notchless, all screen Touch ID iPhone (Squeeze the selfie camera in a absolutely minimal bezel). Maybe this is what the rumoured iPhone SE plus will be? The problem here is that this kind of iphone would look better than the more expensive notched Face ID phones, and knowing Apple they will gimp it somehow.

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2019
Power button Touch ID like on the new Air 4, now makes it possible to introduce a notchless, all screen Touch ID iPhone (Squeeze the selfie camera in a absolutely minimal bezel). Maybe this is what the rumoured iPhone SE plus will be? The problem here is that this kind of iphone would look better than the more expensive notched Face ID phones, and knowing Apple they will gimp it somehow.

it might have bigger side bezels for sure and of course it will not have the same cameras like the iPhone 12 or even 11

it will definitely have two cameras, but if it comes with ultrawide instead of telephoto

people, lot of them will buy this over the iPhone 12

this is like iPad air vs iPad pro but the latter has advantages like quad speaker and pro motion which the iPhone 12 doesnt have

so it's interesting which area of the fone they will hold out, might be just the screen since all iphone 12's are oled, 2nd is the front facing camera

everything else might be the same with standard iphone 12 (ultrawide/telephoto is the question)

Reactions: snipr125

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I’ve not read of recent cost data (anyone has?) but the article was speculating Face ID components needed for iP X was $60. I think Touch ID is orders of magnitude less than that (like $7 from way back iPhone 5S) on physical button at least. So adding Face ID probably isn’t trivial cost an cheaper models don’t have it like SE2.

I was arguing for adding TouchID to have both.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
If you think about it, Face ID + Touch ID can make your devices even more secure.

There are many different applications on data privacy and security where you could take this. Imagine a really nutty scenario where a device holds really sensitive secret data and it requires three different people to authenticate with face scan, fingerprint scan, and then a password, and if either of the biometric scans are disabled, then a separate master password is required to simply re-enable biometric authentication, but still not unlock the device.

Another application I could see is a certain finger can be registered as a “distress” fingerprint and when applied, it immediately locks the phone and disables all biometric authentication and requires the password to unlock the phone.
Taking the distress scenario even further, if compelled to enter a password, a user could have set up a distress password that seems to unlock the phone, but in reality, hides all the user’s data and boots into an alternate Home Screen that only the user would know that it’s the distress screen and quietly in the background makes a SOS call to emergency services.

With Apple’s relentless push to increased privacy and encryption, this could be a truly Pro level security feature that can also flow over to the next iPad Pro for Pro Grade Data Privacy and Security.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Right now I’m using my old iPhone 7 Plus because my XS Max broke and it reminded me how inferior Touch ID is over Face ID. Even adding Touch ID as a second unlock method just seems like adding junk to increase the price. I say leave Touch ID buried where it belongs

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Right now I’m using my old iPhone 7 Plus because my XS Max broke and it reminded me how inferior Touch ID is over Face ID. Even adding Touch ID as a second unlock method just seems like adding junk to increase the price. I say leave Touch ID buried where it belongs
How does Face ID go with a mask on?

You’ll find many people want Touch ID back as a secondary option solely due to the mask situation hampering Face ID.

Reactions: inkhorn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.