Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2020 iPhone with Touch ID AND Face ID

• Both

• Only Face ID

• Only Touch ID

• I don’t care!’

Results are only viewable after voting.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
TouchID works through powder-free vinyl and nitrile gloves for me. That was pretty surprising.
I think more people are wearing masks than gloves today but that is very interesting. I've heard fingerprints can happen though thin gloves like that.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
In a prefect world, both would be nice. And it may come pretty soon if the reports are to be believed. However, in most cases FaceID is superior and I'll take it over TouchID any day.

Stridr69

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Going back to touch ID after face ID, is like going from CDs back to cassette tapes.

Apple is ahead of the game.

Face ID must be ahead of its time for people to freak out about it like they have been. Apple even improved it so I can actually look at my phone on an angle and it still open. The cons against Face ID list is getting smaller and it’s even faster this year.

Having both, Face ID and Touch ID, only creates less room in your phone, perhaps inviting a smaller battery, no thank you.

I feel apples only bringing back touch ID because of people freaking out about advancement in technology.

So let’s take a step back and take a breather is their philosophy I guess, for those ‘older’ folk.

Define "older" folk. I'll be the benchmark. I'm 65. I use a launch day XS Max. And totally dig Face ID :D

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Face ID all day every day never fails to work for me. ?

Tried the under screen fingerprint reader on a few Samsung phones was absolute garbage very hit and miss.

Reactions: compwiz1202

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I’m holding my next upgrade for both. I can’t picture myself buying the 12 if it’s only Face ID and dropping so much money on a phone. But if it’s both I’m getting it! I’m actually putting money aside for the next upgrade so we will see what September hold.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I’m holding my next upgrade for both. I can’t picture myself buying the 12 if it’s only Face ID and dropping so much money on a phone. But if it’s both I’m getting it! I’m actually putting money aside for the next upgrade so we will see what September hold.

doubt the iPhone 12s will have Touch ID no leaks suggest they will.

Don’t blame Apple for not adding the under screen finger print reader at the moment it’s trash and hardly works properly on the android phones.

I reckon they’ll add it once a larger sensor comes out that covers the bottom half of the screen.

Which will make life easier instead of having to place your finger perfectly every time to unlock the phone.

got a family member with a Samsung s10 who has turned off finger print unlock and uses face unlock Instead because of how hit and miss the small sensor is.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Face ID is quicker and more convenient. When my phone lights up with a notification I can glance at the phone to unlock it to see the notification.

I don’t see how it’s quicker if you want to unlock your phone as you are picking it up, or unlocking it in be when it’s under the covers. More convenient? I don’t think so. But whatever you say.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don’t see how it’s quicker if you want to unlock your phone as you are picking it up, or unlocking it in be when it’s under the covers. More convenient? I don’t think so. But whatever you say.

I agree with you there. TouchID is still faster than FaceID for unlocking the device and convenience depends on the scenario I suppose. If the device is flat on a table then TouchID is more convenient. I often unlock my phone as I’m picking it up or getting it out of my pocket, to which it’s usually locked before I even look at it. A few of my friends who aren’t particularly interested in phones highlighted the difference when they bought FaceID equipped devices too.

It won’t bother me when I get my next iPhone as you adapt. A few of the top reviewers have drawn this comparison too.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
When I’m working and it’s on my desk I don’t have to pick it up. Under the covers no. But we each can find a use case to support our opinions. Mask, gloves, on desk, under covers, wet hands, cold hands etc. Pick your nuanced use case as if it were the only use case.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Face ID and underscreen Touch ID both have their unique good features and an iPhone with both would be a powerhouse

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Face ID is so objecively inferior to Touch ID in terms of speed and performance, if the next iPhone I might buy doesn't have Touch, I won't buy it.
Well I guess you won't be buying the next iPhone. The only "new" iPhone that might come out with Touch ID is a Plus size version of the SE2. Maybe 2021 or 2022 who knows but not this year.

As to Touch ID vs Face ID the only advantage I've found is when wearing a mask. Other than that it's not nearly as reliable for me. Of course everyone has their own needs and wants and that's just for me.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
giphy.gif

I voted both because both have worked great for me.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
giphy.gif

I voted both because both have worked great for me.
People will vote for both without thinking about the price. Both means the price will be higher. For me the regular Touch ID kind of sucks so I would rather not have it at all. I think at some point when the price of the tech goes down Apple will just include it though.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Well I guess you won't be buying the next iPhone. The only "new" iPhone that might come out with Touch ID is a Plus size version of the SE2. Maybe 2021 or 2022 who knows but not this year.

As to Touch ID vs Face ID the only advantage I've found is when wearing a mask. Other than that it's not nearly as reliable for me. Of course everyone has their own needs and wants and that's just for me.
It's [plausibly] rumoured to be coming back, either as an under-screen sensor, or in the power button, for future versions of what are currently FaceID only models - it looks like the latter tech is going to debut in the upcoming iPad Air 4.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I still find, on my iPad with touch-ID that it sometimes requires several tries to get it to work - especially when winter comes.
Face-ID always works right away for me

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
No debate, Face ID all day long. Can’t actually believe there are people who prefer touch.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have an iPad that has touch id - this time of year (winter in Maine) I find that touch ID almost never works - at least it takes several tries where Face ID on my iPhone works all the time.
I have found touch -id in winter has always been unreliable in winter over a bunch of phones.
Try adding your fingerprint in cold weather. I had a similar problem for cold weather, but adding my fingerprint again worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.