Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Diatribe said:
If I was American I'd vote but since I'm not... :D
I think it's a weird concept that you have to register in order to vote. You should be registered and written to by the government, meaning some voters agency, like it is in other countries. I think the entire registering to vote thing keeps participation down in the States too.

The problem with that is registration is tied to a particular location (so that we can vote in local elections), which means that if this sort of registration were required, we'd have to re-register with the government every time we moved. Americans don't like that kind of bureacracy. Many states do now have "motor voter" laws, which automatically register you to vote when you get your driver's license (assuming you're voting age), but that doesn't affect people without licenses.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
wordmunger said:
The problem with that is registration is tied to a particular location (so that we can vote in local elections), which means that if this sort of registration were required, we'd have to re-register with the government every time we moved. Americans don't like that kind of bureacracy. Many states do now have "motor voter" laws, which automatically register you to vote when you get your driver's license (assuming you're voting age), but that doesn't affect people without licenses.

In Germany you do have to register with the government every time you move. I think, although a bit annoying, that serves a lot of useful purposes.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Diatribe said:
In Germany you do have to register with the government every time you move. I think, although a bit annoying, that serves a lot of useful purposes.

Yeah, I mean honestly, most people end up letting the government know their address for some reason or another: property tax, income tax, stuff like that. Though in America the people who don't pay those sorts of taxes are exactly the people we have difficulty getting to register or to vote.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Bravo adzoox! That was a great writeup... I wouldn't agree more. I'm tired of the Florida election moaning. If Gore had really won, there would have been 10x the complaining by... Al Gore and the Democratic party. Just my 2 cents.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
adzoox said:
The fiasco in Florida, actually wouldn't have mattered. Democrats made way too big of a deal out of this.
I wonder how big a deal the Republicans would have made if Gore had won on a recount.

What "those that feel cheated" don't understand is that our forefathers did NOT establish this country as a democracy. What most people don't understand is that we DO NOT want a democracy in Iraq.

This country was established as a Republic.

By the way, if you're thinking Democracy = Democrat and Republic = Republican - the four terms are completely unrelated.
This country is not simply a republic, it is a democratic republic, where representatives are elected democratically, which appears to be also what Bush wants for Iraq.

See, in 2000 - the Florida vote wasn't really even close - it was almost 14,000 votes. Gore would have had to come up with that many votes to win the popular election in the state.
Source? Even Katherine Harris said the margin was 537 votes. Depending on how you count, the votes could swing for either candidate. For me the most damning evidence against the Republicans was the supression of the vote for black felons but not for conservative-leaning hispanic felons.

Why this made a difference in 2000 was because Florida (unlike most states) actually makes their electoral college vote the same as the popular vote. Most states DON'T do this.
Does it make a difference or does it not make a difference? Make up your mind.

The electoral college, which is a process similar to a Republic, essentially let's people who KNOW what they are doing and are SUPPOSE to be unbiased in their political affiliation, represent EVERYONE - even those that did not vote. For instance - even if my home state of South Carolina had Kerry as the popular vote winner, the electoral college from my state would STILL give Bush the votes from our state - because this state, no matter how many people vote, is greater than 60% Republican/Conservative.
I believe there is exactly one example of an electoral college member voting in a different direction from the voting public, which had no impact on the overall results. The electoral college, for all intents and purposes, is simply an accounting system. There is NO WAY the scenario you envision (south carolina voting for Kerry but its electors voting for Bush) would EVER happen.

Don't base your vote on revenge, on misconceived notions about Iraq, or on someone's military service.

Both candidates have strong points and both have weak points. You honestly owe your country a duty to write down a good vs bad list for both candidates.

Take into account that there has been no "gold rush type" economic boom like Clinton was able to luck into [internet], any of the war Presidents were able to, or any of the Railroad or Gold Rush presidents were able to. There also have been no social revolutions [major] such Kennedy or Reagan were able to take advantage of .
Bush didn't "luck into" Iraq. He CHOSE Iraq. Now the American people can choose if that was the right choice. Not all of a presidency is luck, and Bush's choices have consistently been the wrong ones.

bviz2

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
I'll vote. Since I turned 18 in 1978 I may have missed two elections including all of the miscellaneous local elections. Voting is a right & obligation I take very seriously, just like freedom of speech and others. A lot of people have given up their lives to obtain and protect our rights and I plan to thank them by exercising those rights.

I can remember the news reports of people in South Africa waiting for days to cast their first votes.

The apathy of the U.S.A. eligible voters is a world issue as shown by the Iraqi situation.

My vote will NOT be for Bush.

(I don't believe it has much of an impact on the Mac world unless one of the candidates is proposing that all PCs in the U.S. government will be replaced by Macs. That would be a rumor worth posting!) :D

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
It's more relevant than you think.

edesignuk said:
Why the hell is this on MacPolls? It isn't even relevant to many of your members :rolleyes:
The most obvious connection between the upcoming election and the Mac is the Microsoft anti-trust lawsuit. The Clinton Administration diligently and successfully prosecuted Microshaft for blatantly abusing its monopoly power by engaging in anti-competitive behavior. The Bushies let them off the hook, scot free. A just punishment for Microsoft would generally have been good for Apple.

To the more general computing community, the current junta's creepy "Big Brother" powers that they are usurping are going to have more and more effects on what we can do (and what we can do comfortably.)

I'm surprised that a Brit would complain about this poll since we sucked you guys into the war with false intelligence (aka, lies) that was overwhelmingly unpopular in the UK. The result of this election will determine when and how your troops get to come home from Iraq.

The good news for the UK is that if Bush wins, America's influence on the world stage will erode. Since Russia has such domestic trouble and can't project power worldwide like the Soviet Union could and that the emerging powers of China and India don't have imperial/colonial aspirations yet, Britain is poised for ascendancy on the international stage.

ThomasJefferson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Virginia
wEEl, I've been voting since 1789 and look forward to supporting Kerry in this election. "War, distorted in the service of a lie and wrapped in an untruth, has ever been the death of a republic."

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
edesignuk said:
The fact that it isn't relevant to a lot of us is just another thing :rolleyes:

Especially since both are apparently Mac users. Now if one or the other was a Windows guy, then maybe.

Still, I can agree with having the poll, since this is a community of folks who happen to use Macs (as well as PCs), and this is an issue relevant to community discussion.

Besides - I think it would be interesting to see the comparison of MacRumors members who vote (or are eligible) vs. the general population numbers in November.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Voting is very important to me and my family and should be to every person in our country. It's sad when evry other democratic nation on the planet has 85-90% voter turnout and we have less than 50% in the USA. Sad state of affairs when our citizens feel distant and disenfranchised from our government. That said, I'm voting for Kerry - can't stand the chimp in charge any more. On my wife's orders the names Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, etc. are not allowed to be spoken in our house and I agree with her - these people just boil the blood.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
adzoox said:
Why this made a difference in 2000 was because Florida (unlike most states) actually makes their electoral college vote the same as the popular vote. Most states DON'T do this.

Not exactly. Except in two states, the party that wins the popular vote becomes that states electors. So yes, even though it isn't technically required that they vote for the party's candidate, it is essentially the same as saying that all electoral votes for a state go to the winner of the popular vote.

sedarby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Dallas, TX
Not informed, don't vote

Doctor Q said:
Hey, no disparaging Mr. Bond or I won't give you any more tours of Q division!

I've voted in every election since I've been old enough to vote. Whether I knew enough about the issues and candidates or not!

That is the principal reason why everyone should NOT vote. If you can't take the time to be informed then you do more harm than good. Personally, I see no reason to cast a vote for either of these candidates. Now if Ross Perot were running again I would vote for him (again).

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I voted then and I will vote now. I'm also going to be driving as many people as I can to the polls Nov 2nd! Even in St. Peter MN 50 miles away I'm driving people to the polls. If I had the time and money I would rent a bus fleet and drive the state to the polls.

On the more candidate side of this all I can say is I hope to god on Nov 2 this nightmare ends. I don't think my stomach or my psyche can take another 4 years and that ISN'T a joke. :(

apple2991

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
jemeinc said:
... I think Bush wins a lot easier than people think , & truthfully I'm of the opininon that the Democratic Party leaders are alright with that because it opens the door for Hillary in 08'....

Awimoway said:
I think Republicans are more excited about running against Hillary than Democrats are about running with her.

yeah, you're wrong, jemeinc. stop listening to rush limbaugh--despite what he tells you, we don't all love or even like hillary clinton. you seem to think that the Dems think hillary is some great secret weapon we're waiting to pull out to trump everyone in a few years. Will Hillary make a bid for presidency? Maybe. Will she get the nomination? Not likely. This country isn't even ready to let gays get married or Cat Stevens fly on a plane; the Dems know there's no way most people would vote for a woman right now, and a CLINTON (dun dun dun) woman, no less.

i could be wrong, and if i am i'll buy you a beer. :rolleyes:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Yes, I'm voting and proud to cast my vote. I have been voting every election since reaching eligibility.

Thank you for this poll, nice to have a new poll. :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
This doesn’t apply to me as I live in Canada, but I some ways, I’m kind of glad I don’t have to make a decision between Bush or Kerry – pick your poison in many respects! But, such is every government in some way or another I suppose, the US is no different - it’s just that the US has such a high profile and impact on the world (whether that’s a good thing or not...) We’re not exactly the best here in Canada either, but it is nice to not be bound to a two-party system at least. Anyway, just some thoughts, no harm meant, I’ll quit now before I get relegated to the Political Discussion forums…. ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
One other thing I'll say is that it is nice to see so many people committed to voting, and encouraging others to vote. Regardless of the candidates, the current situation, etc., I think it is important for everyone to exercise their rights and be committed to that. :cool:

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
please, everyone, if you can vote, DO SO.

i don't care who you vote for (ok, i do, but that's not important at the moment), all i care about is that you do vote. the candidates seem to be two very different people this time around (not always the case), so your choice MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

if you can vote but choose not to you are saying you don't care who runs this country. you lose your right to complain about public policy, and you fail to take advantage of one of the best things this country has going for it (the idea that leaders have to be in some way accountable for their actions - even though it doesn't always work out that way).

anyway, VOTE.

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
nagromme said:
There's a WHAT now? Really? I'll have to register... :)

(Sad to say, this issue probably DOES affect the whole world more than it ought to. And at least the poll has the option to say you're not in the US.)

The very first time I voted, was by absentee ballot as I had recently turned 18 and moved overseas. As striking are the various opinions about winner (loser) of the last Presidential election, the result of this one is sure to be of interest to everybody around the world.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
hey edesignuk... as much as you've been posting on this forum, I've got one thing to say to you... Thank you, thank you for putting that gorgeous Keira Knightly on your avatar... God did a very good job with her :)

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
4%

Roughly 4% of the people on here who can vote won't vote. While that is a small number compared to how many people normally don't vote who can, why would you not vote? It doesn't take up much time, and it does affect you. Are people just that lazy, or is there some other reason I don't know about? Someone give me a good reason to not vote when you can.

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
wordmunger said:
Source? Even Katherine Harris said the margin was 537 votes. Depending on how you count, the votes could swing for either candidate. For me the most damning evidence against the Republicans was the supression of the vote for black felons but not for conservative-leaning hispanic felons.

Now, I would have thought there wouldn't be a need to suppress the votes of any felons, because I was under the impression that felons weren't allowed to vote anyway (a right revoked by the conviction of a felony).

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I have no real reason to vote, my state is already locked in as voting for the canidate I would vote for. Thus, no real reason to vote besides getting that sticker.

coconn06

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
King of Prussia, PA
adzoox said:
Both candidates have strong points and both have weak points. You honestly owe your country a duty to write down a good vs bad list for both candidates.

Don't take his advice. There are more candidates than Bush and Kerry. Look into them. You may like what you see. Also don't believe the notion that voting 3rd party is "wasting a vote." The more votes the 3rd party candidates get, the better position they'll be to compete with Democrats/Republicans in the future. Do yourself and your country a service by not voting for the "lesser of two evils" but by voting for someone you actually agree with. 3rd party candidates give you this option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.