Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coconn06

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
King of Prussia, PA
Ja Di ksw said:
Roughly 4% of the people on here who can vote won't vote. While that is a small number compared to how many people normally don't vote who can, why would you not vote? It doesn't take up much time, and it does affect you. Are people just that lazy, or is there some other reason I don't know about? Someone give me a good reason to not vote when you can.

A lot of people don't like either Bush or Kerry, so choose not to vote. That is why 3rd parties really need to make gains publicly. Voting for a 3rd party is not "wasting a vote." Take the time to do some research and you might like what you see.

P.S. I'm not speaking to you, but to people in general

feeze

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Bathurst, Australia
Ausie Election day today

I obviously did the last point in the vote.

The australian elections are on today (I posted this at 4:23am, Yes I know I need a life)

It wouldn't be too interesting to run that poll down here considering voting is compulsory. Although it would be interesting to run a poll to see how many people who didn't vote actually received a fine.

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
I will not be voting for anyone. Why you ask? Because niether one is worth voting for, there is no lesser of two evils. Frankly, I don't see Kerry changing anything for the better and we all see how Bush runs the show. If you are wondering, I am a registered Republican and no I did not vote for Bush in 2000, I voted for McCain in the primary after he lost I felt we had the same situation then, neither Bush nor Gore was worth damn, so I didn't vote.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
aricher said:
Voting is very important to me and my family and should be to every person in our country. It's sad when evry other democratic nation on the planet has 85-90% voter turnout and we have less than 50% in the USA. Sad state of affairs when our citizens feel distant and disenfranchised from our government. That said, I'm voting for Kerry - can't stand the chimp in charge any more. On my wife's orders the names Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, etc. are not allowed to be spoken in our house and I agree with her - these people just boil the blood.

There is a reason for that mate. Generally speaking in most democratic countries the winner of the election becomes the deomocratically elected leader of the country, in america its given to the runner up (Bush). So I guess there are alot of americans who realise their vote doesnt count!

Sorry, but had to play devils advocate!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
KingSleaze said:
Now, I would have thought there wouldn't be a need to suppress the votes of any felons, because I was under the impression that felons weren't allowed to vote anyway (a right revoked by the conviction of a felony).
Felons are not allowed to vote according to Florida law, but the law was only enforced on black felons, not Latino felons. So contrary to Florida's law, Latino felons were allowed to vote. See this article.

Surprise, surprise: in Florida, Latinos are overwhelmingly Republican.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
adzoox said:
Don't base your vote on revenge, on misconceived notions about Iraq, or on someone's military service.

Both candidates have strong points and both have weak points. You honestly owe your country a duty to write down a good vs bad list for both candidates.
We actually did that, my friends and I, and it really brought into focus how many Bush decisions, positions, and policies I have thoroughly disagreed with ever since he took office--even before the Iraq mess.

No matter who you vote for, get out and Vote! Don't let the polls fool you into thinking you don't need to bother. It's not about who answers polls, it's about who shows up at the ballot box, and the decision they make there. Wouldn't you hate it if all the supporters of your candidate lost him the race by figuring it was already tied up, and they didn't need to bestir themselves?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
jared_kipe said:
I have no real reason to vote, my state is already locked in as voting for the canidate I would vote for. Thus, no real reason to vote besides getting that sticker.

How good for that candidate, that he can lock up a state's votes before anyone has actually voted. :rolleyes:

It is always frustrating to me to see this, because the media runs polls on those that are anticipated to vote, which never turns out to be the ones who actually vote, and then people think that anything they do won't count. It is quite conceivable that all those who would have voted for the "winner" stay home, and hence the "loser" ends up winning. Just vote. What is it, a 1/2 hour out of your day to impact your life and the lives of everyone around you for substantially longer than the 4-year term of the presidency?

And don't forget - the November elections also include senate races, local representatives, local referendums, etc. You can vote on other issues even if you decide not to vote on the presidential election.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Another Absentee Voter

Voted yesterday, and not for the Shrubbery either. Definately time for a change, I really like having the extra time to sit down and research some of the other things that I am going to be voting for.

"Mista Boosh, your time grows short."

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
apple2991 said:
yeah, you're wrong, jemeinc. stop listening to rush limbaugh--despite what he tells you, we don't all love or even like hillary clinton.

I'm more interested in the OTHER Clinton. So far Chelsea is following all the right steps for going into public office in the next decade, or sooner?, or so and from there??? Who knows.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Im gonna vote, I voted every year since I was legal to 6 years ago. I don't care who you vote for, just don't listen to the spin from the left or the right, vote how you want not how some star in hollywood wants you to.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
emw said:
How good for that candidate, that he can lock up a state's votes before anyone has actually voted. :rolleyes:

It is always frustrating to me to see this, because the media runs polls on those that are anticipated to vote

No ****. :mad: How easy it is to forget our recient history. How many people didn't go to the polls in 2000 in florida because the ***hats in the media called it a win for Gore. A few thousand [LISTEN TO THOSE WORDS PEOPLE. A FEW THOUSAND!!!] could have made the difference. NEVER say that a state is locked up. Never say its a sure thing because there isn't a single thing in this life that can be counted on to be a sure thing.

EVERYONE GET YOUR COLLECTIVE ***ES OUT OF YOUR LAZYBOY, GET REGISTERED, AND VOTE DANG IT!!!

But I'm calm. *takes a deep breath and goes to his happy place* ;)

ThomasJefferson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Virginia
SiliconAddict said:
No ****. :mad: How easy it is to forget our recient history. How many people didn't go to the polls in 2000 in florida because the ***hats in the media called it a win for Gore. A few thousand [LISTEN TO THOSE WORDS PEOPLE. A FEW THOUSAND!!!] could have made the difference. NEVER say that a state is locked up. Never say its a sure thing because there isn't a single thing in this life that can be counted on to be a sure thing.

EVERYONE GET YOUR COLLECTIVE ***ES OUT OF YOUR LAZYBOY, GET REGISTERED, AND VOTE DANG IT!!!

You seem to be a bit conflicted on this issue. Could you be a bit more specific as to what you want.
:D

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think its self explanatory, The media should not be giving poll results until everyone had voted.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
MacNut said:
I think its self explanatory, The media should not be giving poll results until everyone had voted.

I thought the media was no longer allowed to project winners until after voting closed, with the possible exception of the Hawaii votes. Is this not the case?

I was referring more to how they are already publishing poll results of which candidate will win which state, etc., which makes people think that there is no reason for them to go out and vote, which is ridiculous. Not only is too much at stake in the presidential election (there almost always is), there are also local and state elections and referendums to consider.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I didn't vote in 2000 because I didn't think it was worth it. I'm not making the same mistake this time. I'm not happy with the current administration, and I think a lot more people feel the same way than are being reflected in the current polls. Most of them look at the people who voted last time.

From what I've been hearing, there are a lot of new people being registered vs. for the 2000 election. A larger percentage are registering as Democrats. Hmmm.

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ
SiliconAddict said:

thats all fun, but the truth is it is all a numbers games, statistics,

so if your in say NY where Gore won 60% to 35% Bush, you might as well not vote for Bush, that kind of margin can not be made up.

and if your in for example Utah where Bush won 67% to 28% Gore you too might well as not vote for Kerry.

Its all numbers, and there is only a certain amount you can do "legaly" to budge the stats in some states, and it won't be enough, for either side.

The story is different for states that are within 5-8% margin between the two candidates.

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ
solvs said:
I didn't vote in 2000 because I didn't think it was worth it. I'm not making the same mistake this time. I'm not happy with the current administration, and I think a lot more people feel the same way than are being reflected in the current polls. Most of them look at the people who voted last time.

Polls are based on either "likely voters" or "registered voters", and most are not in anyway related to whether you voted last time.

solvs said:
From what I've been hearing, there are a lot of new people being registered vs. for the 2000 election. A larger percentage are registering as Democrats. Hmmm.

It only depends on what states those new Dems are registered in, and if all of these new voters actually vote. The odds are, from one report I read, that a lot of new registered voters are just jumping on the bandwagon and may not vote this year, especially young voters.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
SiliconAddict said:

Easy for you to say....you prolly don't live in Texas. The only thing my vote is going to effect is the overall popular vote, and we all know how well that went 4 years ago.

I can understand the feeling of helplessness, living in a state like TX...but I figure I might as well vote and maybe even if Satan re-elected, maybe he'll lose the popular vote again...my contribution to that situation is the leas tI can do.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
aricher said:
Voting is very important to me and my family and should be to every person in our country. It's sad when evry other democratic nation on the planet has 85-90% voter turnout and we have less than 50% in the USA.

The turnout at the last UK General Election in 2001 was 59.2%, so you're not alone. I'm curious as to whether recent events will contribute to a substantial increase on this figure at the 2005 election, but I'm not optimistic.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
SiliconAddict said:

In Canada it's the same, all the media projected either a coalition government or a Tory minority, Liberals ended up winning since the Tories f'ed up their chances in Quebec, but then again so did the liberals, but thankfully the Liberals won, or else I'dd be hiding right about now.. tories only f things up here

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
SilvorX said:
In Canada it's the same, all the media projected either a coalition government or a Tory minority, Liberals ended up winning since the Tories f'ed up their chances in Quebec, but then again so did the liberals, but thankfully the Liberals won, or else I'dd be hiding right about now.. tories only f things up here

And, in good old Canada, basically as long as your party wins Ontario, you're in, regardless of how the other provinces voted. ;)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The majority of voters are still independent. Not Republican or Democrat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.