Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Google are making the case that the ruling goes against security interests in the US

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/7/18656163/google-huawei-android-security-ban-claims
[doublepost=1559900518][/doublepost]It is forbes so we can take it with a pinch of salt

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdof...recast-down-20-30-report-claims/#295f782d5be8
Google makes some very good points!
Yeah...Forbes is a little bit suspect sometimes. At least it wasn't Gordon Kelly....his articles are all just clickbait with a "nasty surprise" lol

Reactions: Shanghaichica

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
No FB or Instagram going forward...

Facebook bans Huawei from pre-installing its apps, WhatsApp & Instagram included

According to Reuters, Facebook has banned Huawei from pre-installing any of the company’s apps on its smartphones going forward. In some markets, Huawei does currently pre-install some Facebook apps, including the core Facebook app, as well as popular services such as WhatsApp and Instagram.

https://9to5google.com/2019/06/07/huawei-facebook-pre-installed-apps-ban/

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I know but thats not what i meant. What i mean is if Samsung became too good and threatened the existence of iphones and pixels in the future i can assure you it will have same fate as Huawie. They all at the mercy of google.
Ummm Samsungs already outsell iPhones and Pixels are a very small percent of Android phones which by the way are usually built by foreign OEMs to Google's specs anyway.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ummm Samsungs already outsell iPhones and Pixels are a very small percent of Android phones which by the way are usually built by foreign OEMs to Google's specs anyway.
Samsung Galaxy does not outsell iPhones. if the entire lineup including the cheap phones are included, samsung phones outsell iPhones.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Samsung Galaxy does not outsell iPhones. if the entire lineup including the cheap phones are included, samsung phones outsell iPhones.
Hmmm thought I was clear that was what I meant, didn't mention Galaxy models in particular - but yea you put it more accurately.

Reactions: I7guy

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
hmmm let's put it this way...Samsung sells more phones than Apple does.....
[doublepost=1560136446][/doublepost]Huawei Ark OS leaks; looks like iOS and is probably based on Android
https://www.talkandroid.com/340864-huawei-ark-os-leaks-looks-like-ios-and-is-probably-based-on-android/?utm_source=feedburner-ta&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+AndroidNewsGoogleAndroidForums+(TalkAndroid)
Is the comparison really against a Samsung Galaxy J7 V 2nd Gen, which retails for $240 against an XR for example (both on VZW)? If that is what is being compared, then yes Samsung sells more phones than Apple. Toyota also outsells Ferrari in numbers and all, but they are in slightly different markets. Horses for courses, I guess.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Is the comparison really against a Samsung Galaxy J7 V 2nd Gen, which retails for $240 against an XR for example (both on VZW)? If that is what is being compared, then yes Samsung sells more phones than Apple. Toyota also outsells Ferrari in numbers and all, but they are in slightly different markets. Horses for courses, I guess.
yes.... a sale is a sale....
If that is what is being compared, then yes Samsung sells more phones than Apple
Glad you agree with me....

Your car analogy does not fit this scenario

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
White House Acting Budget Chief Seeks to Delay Huawei Ban
A senior White House official is seeking to delay putting in place portions of a law that limits the U.S. government’s business with China’s Huawei Technologies Co., according to a person familiar with the matter.

In a letter to Vice President Mike Pence, White House acting budget chief Russell Vought asked to delay a provision of the 2019 National Defense Authorization Act that bars any executive agency, government contractor or company that receives a government loan or grant from using Huawei equipment.

Vought warned that the law will place burdens on U.S. companies that use Huawei technology, according to the person. The Wall Street Journal, which reported Vought’s letter earlier Sunday, said he warned that the law could dramatically reduce the number of companies that would be able to supply the U.S. government.

https://time.com/5603724/huawei-ban...m_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialflowfb

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
This just gets more hilarious

US 'could ease Huawei sanctions' if China trade deal advances
The US treasury secretary appears to suggest the security grounds for prohibiting Huawei were dependent on a China trade deal.

US treasury secretary Steven Mnuchin reportedly told G20 finance ministers that President Donald Trump may ease sanctions on Huawei if he sees progress in trade talks with China.
https://news.sky.com/story/us-could-ease-huawei-sanctions-if-china-trade-deal-advances-11738917

Reactions: stylinexpat

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Huawei is seeking $1 billion from Verizon over 230 patent infringements
A new report from Reuters claims that Huawei is in a patent dispute with Verizon for unregulated use of an estimated 230 patents. The total fines for these could be worth as much as $1 billion. The major infringements are allegedly in the network equipment area where an estimated twenty additional vendors are involved. Some of those are reportedly large scale US tech companies.
https://m.gsmarena.com/huawei_is_se...leged_230_patent_infringements-news-37565.php

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
S&P says U.S. tech firms could wind up as collateral damage in Huawei ban
"The supply ban, in our view, will also serve as a catalyst for Huawei, and the Chinese administration, to accelerate their technology investment to reduce reliance on foreign suppliers for critical components," S&P Global said on June 12. "This could heighten competition in the technology sector and potentially lower the long-term growth prospects of US technology firms."
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Huawei-ban-could-negatively-impact-U.S.-tech-industry_id116796

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Huawei's Efforts to Steal Apple Trade Secrets Include Employee Bonus Program and Other Dubious Tactics

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/02/18/huaweis-efforts-to-steal-apple/
[doublepost=1560474667][/doublepost]they are getting into a LOT of debt....

Huawei Seeks $1 Billion in First Big Funding Test After U.S. Ban

Huawei’s latest fundraising attempt comes about four months after it obtained a 14 billion yuan loan from five Chinese banks. In September, the company raised $1.5 billion offshore from a group of 10 mostly international banks.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Hmmm thought I was clear that was what I meant, didn't mention Galaxy models in particular - but yea you put it more accurately.

No need for this :)

You were correct with or without the word Galaxy as Samsung prefixes all of its models with Galaxy for some years now

Both Samsung sells more phones than Apple or Samsung sells more Galaxy phones than Apple are equally correct :)

As you can see in the example quoted Samsung Galaxy J7 V 2nd Gen :rolleyes::)

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Spain rolls out 5G network using Huawei gear despite US blacklisting Chinese tech giant
Spain became one of the first European countries to roll out a 5G network as Vodafone Spain commercially launched the service in 15 cities, including Madrid and Barcelona, in cooperation with Chinese telecom giant Huawei.
The local carrier of the world’s second-largest mobile operator Vodafone became the first to launch the superfast mobile phone network, which promises download speeds of up to one gigabit per second, in the Spanish market on Saturday. Apart from the Spanish capital and the capital of the country’s autonomous region, the services will also be available in Valencia, Malaga, Seville, Zaragoza, San Sebastian, Bilbao, Vitoria, La Coruna, Vigo, Gijon, Pamplona, Santander, and Logrono.

The company uses equipment from both Swedish manufacturer Ericsson and Huawei, which has put been put on US’ “entity list,” severely restricting American companies from trading with the Chinese tech firm.

Before Spain, only two European countries had commercialized 5G: Switzerland and the UK. However, Washington has already been pushing its allies to drop Huawei technology on the 5G rollout, citing security concerns. Despite US pressure, British lawmakers have not barred Huawei from participating its fifth-generation network to date, but mobile operators EE and Vodafone have already dropped Huawei phones from their 5G launch plans.

Meanwhile, telecom company Sunrise announced the first 5G smartphone in Switzerland in partnership with Huawei.
https://www.rt.com/business/461954-spain-5g-network-huawei/

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Huawei expects its international phone shipments to drop by as much as 60 million units in 2019
Bloomberg reported on Sunday that as a result of its placement on the Entity List, Huawei itself expects a steep 40% to 60% decline in international phone shipments this year. About half of the units shipped last year were delivered to international buyers, so Huawei's own computations show it will ship 40 million to 60 million fewer smartphones outside of China in 2019. That is a pretty wide range, but the company itself can't come up with a better estimate because of the uncertainties surrounding it.

Things are so bad that the smartphone manufacturer is monitoring the launch of the Honor 20, set to be released in the U.K. and France on June 21st. Two French carriers have stopped carrying Huawei's Honor sub-brand, and if the launch of the Honor 20 goes as poorly as expected, Huawei is reportedly set to quickly stop shipping the phone. While the device is powered by Huawei's own Kirin chipsets, potential buyers might be worried about the inability of the Honor 20 to receive Android updates and updates for Android apps.
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Hua...-shipments-to-drop-sharply-this-year_id116884

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.