Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
I wonder which US cell phone manufacturer(s) cut the deal to black list Huawei?

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
This trade war will have lasting impact on China if Apple shifts manufacturing

Apple wants to cut down on manufacturing in China https://www.cultofmac.com/632548/apple-wants-to-cut-down-on-manufacturing-in-china/

It’s actually not that difficult as they will just shift manufacturing of ones that are shipped to US. All other locals and globally shipped items will remain manufactured in China. Many other manufacturers are doing the same. With a local market of 1.4 billion people those that struggled to get in will not want to get out I reckon. China is not a market you don’t want to be in.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It’s actually not that difficult as they will just shift manufacturing of ones that are shipped to US. All other locals and globally shipped items will remain manufactured in China. Many other manufacturers are doing the same. With a local market of 1.4 billion people those that struggled to get in will not want to get out I reckon. China is not a market you don’t want to be in.
of course...for sales...but that is not the same as having them manufactured there....

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Looks like eligible Huwawei phones will be getting android Q

1E0925B7-9A0D-4FAA-ABC9-9CA63A7C1A75.jpeg

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Great news about Mate 20 Pros getting Q. Love the phone and happy to be able to use it in the next year.

Probably won't, but still.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Haaa, love it

US companies find legal ways around Huawei blacklist
American technology companies have resumed selling certain products to Huawei after concluding there are legal ways to work with the Chinese telecommunications giant in spite of its inclusion on a Trump administration blacklist.

Micron Technology, the largest US maker of computer memory chips, said on Tuesday that it had started shipping some components to Huawei after its lawyers studied export restrictions. Intel, the largest microprocessor maker, has also begun selling to Huawei again, according to a person familiar with the matter. It’s not clear how many other suppliers have reached the same conclusion.

The US commerce department added Huawei last month to what’s known as an Entity List, a move designed to bar the Chinese company from buying American components and software. The Trump administration said Huawei helps Beijing in espionage and represents a security threat — charges the company denies. Officials at commerce and the White House are frustrated that companies have resumed Huawei shipments, according to another person familiar with the matter. The White House didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
https://techcentral.co.za/us-companies-find-legal-ways-around-huawei-blacklist/90581/

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This is no surprise to allot of us who work in enterprise security

Here is the proof everyone said didn't exist....

“Summary
Huawei has been accused of maintaining backdoor access to networks, but until now, little evidence has been available to support or refute those claims. Finite State’s automated system analyzed more than 1.5 million unique files embedded within 9,936 firmware images supporting 558 different products within Huawei’s enterprise networking product lines — many of which could be used within the core of 5G networks. Our analysis looked for risks including hard-coded backdoor credentials, unsafe use of cryptographic keys, indicators of insecure software development practices, and the presence of known and 0-day vulnerabilities.
The results of the analysis show that Huawei devices quantitatively pose a high risk to their users. In virtually all categories we examined, Huawei devices were found to be less secure than those from other vendors making similar devices.”

https://finitestate.io/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Finite-State-SCA1-Final.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Lol lol lol just like that ol Trump allows business between US companies and Huawei to continue in a concession to China
Trump says US firms can sell to Huawei
US president Donald Trump has said American firms are allowed to continue trading with Huawei, in an apparent concession after initial discussions with Chinese president Xi Jinping.
Speaking at a press conference during the G20 summit in Japan, the president said: “I did agree to allow our companies – you know, jobs, I like our companies selling things to other people. So I allowed that to happen. Very complex things. Not easy – this is not things that are easy to make.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/trump-to-allow-us-firms-huawei-deal-2019-6

Was security really an issue here? How can they just let this supposed threat back into doing business if they are THAT big of a threat.

Oh Murica

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Lol lol lol just like that ol Trump allows business between US companies and Huawei to continue in a concession to China
Trump says US firms can sell to Huawei

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/trump-to-allow-us-firms-huawei-deal-2019-6

Was security really an issue here? How can they just let this supposed threat back into doing business if they are THAT big of a threat.

Oh Murica

At this point, even brain dead people should understand Huawei is no security threat.

It's the same as the U.S. labelling steel and aluminum imports from Canada as "national security threats" last year.

Reactions: ramram55 and Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
At this point, even brain dead people should understand Huawei is no security threat.

It's the same as the U.S. labelling steel and aluminum imports from Canada as "national security threats" last year.

Absolutely, it’s been dead obvious what this was all about and it is hilarious to watch Trump make seem like he is making educated decisions

It’s a long way from being over, but this is an interesting step against a supposed threat

All those articles about Huawei being some sort of threat going down the drain, all that bashing and demonizing to try convince people that they are so bad

It’s all just so hilarious.

Anyway, the damage in the long run is done, China are officially looking at alternatives and Silicone Valley at some point will suffer for it, year-by-year they will see less demand from Chinese OEMs as they work on becoming self reliant. There maybe a spike for now over the next 12months as they try prepare for another crazy decision like Trumps decision in May, but best believe they are working overtime behind the scenes to ensure they never make the mistake of being reliant on US tech again.

Reactions: JPack

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Anyway, the damage in the long run is done, China are officially looking at alternatives and Silicone Valley at some point will suffer for it, year-by-year they will see less demand from Chinese OEMs as they work on becoming self reliant. There maybe a spike for now over the next 12months as they try prepare for another crazy decision like Trumps decision in May, but best believe they are working overtime behind the scenes to ensure they never make the mistake of being reliant on US tech again.

Couldn't agree more. You block one road, people will always find another road.

30 years ago, China faced export restrictions on military technology. Look at the warships and stealth fighters coming out from China today.

10 years ago, Obama tried to get TPP signed. Today, the Belt and Road Initiative is the largest global infrastructure in the history of the world.

In my opinion, the ban gave a wake up call to Huawei and other Chinese firms to domesticate their products or potentially suffer.

Reactions: Tsepz

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So independent research proves Huawei devices are not secure and leave intentional backdoors so Huawei can spy and people just stick their head in the sand....:eek:.

There is finally proof of what so many here denied.
Just because the ban was political doesn't mean Huawei doesn't spy on ALL of its customer lol

It is just comical watch some defend Huawei for no reason other than brand loyalty lol
Oh fanboys....

d4gMETY.jpg

“Summary
Huawei has been accused of maintaining backdoor access to networks, but until now, little evidence has been available to support or refute those claims. Finite State’s automated system analyzed more than 1.5 million unique files embedded within 9,936 firmware images supporting 558 different products within Huawei’s enterprise networking product lines — many of which could be used within the core of 5G networks. Our analysis looked for risks including hard-coded backdoor credentials, unsafe use of cryptographic keys, indicators of insecure software development practices, and the presence of known and 0-day vulnerabilities.
The results of the analysis show that Huawei devices quantitatively pose a high risk to their users. In virtually all categories we examined, Huawei devices were found to be less secure than those from other vendors making similar devices.”

https://finitestate.io/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Finite-State-SCA1-Final.pdf

Last edited:

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
From Trump in g20 press conference,

"One of the things I will allow, however, is, a lot of people are surprised we send and we sell to Huawei a tremendous amount of product that goes into the various things that they make. And I said that that’s okay, that we will keep selling that product. These are American companies… that make product and that’s very complex, by the way, and highly scientific. And in some cases we’re the ones that do it, we’re the only ones that do it. What we’ve done in Silicon Valley is incredible, actually and nobody has been able to compete with it, and I’ve agreed and pretty easily, I’ve agreed to allow them to continue to sell that product. So American companies will continue and they were having a problem, the companies were not exactly happy that they couldn’t sell because they had nothing to do with whatever it was potentially happening with respect to Huawei, so I did do that."

For those who do not want to trust the device. Is their business. Meanwhile Trump is backing out from pressuring huawei means a lot. Huawei tech has been so advanced. They have no one to copy from. In the words of CEO, Ren he has words out that if he would lower their product price, competitors will go out of business. It is the heart of great boss, he does want others to get the spoil.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
And they've reversed course. Plus, Verizon is in debt to Huawei in the form of a billion or more dollars because they licensed their 5G patents.

Cisco and Linksys left backdoors open in their hardware. Even Western Digital had a hardcoded password for their NAS storage devices capable of being reached globally.

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
From Trump in g20 press conference,

"One of the things I will allow, however, is, a lot of people are surprised we send and we sell to Huawei a tremendous amount of product that goes into the various things that they make. And I said that that’s okay, that we will keep selling that product. These are American companies… that make product and that’s very complex, by the way, and highly scientific. And in some cases we’re the ones that do it, we’re the only ones that do it. What we’ve done in Silicon Valley is incredible, actually and nobody has been able to compete with it, and I’ve agreed and pretty easily, I’ve agreed to allow them to continue to sell that product. So American companies will continue and they were having a problem, the companies were not exactly happy that they couldn’t sell because they had nothing to do with whatever it was potentially happening with respect to Huawei, so I did do that."

For those who do not want to trust the device. Is their business. Meanwhile Trump is backing out from pressuring huawei means a lot. Huawei tech has been so advanced. They have no one to copy from. In the words of CEO, Ren he has words out that if he would lower their product price, competitors will go out of business. It is the heart of great boss, he does want others to get the spoil.

Indeed, if security was really that big of an issue to them, they would be putting even more pressure and completely killing business between them and US companies.

Much like how it all sudden went away with ZTE, I see this simply being handled with some monetary package or something similar

And they've reversed course. Plus, Verizon is in debt to Huawei in the form of a billion or more dollars because they licensed their 5G patents.

Cisco and Linksys left backdoors open in their hardware. Even Western Digital had a hardcoded password for their NAS storage devices capable of being reached globally.

Lol, yes, these are things that get conveniently ignored.

BUT

It gets better mate, they are considering banning End-To-End Encryption
Check this:

US officials ponder ban of end-to-end encryption
Senior Trump administration officials want to ban the end-to-end encryption, according to a report by Politico on a National Security Council meeting that took place earlier this week. The encryption challenge, called “going dark”, was discussed with officials from key agencies, including FBI, Department of Justice, Commerce and State Departments. There was no final decision, but the report suggests the issue will not stay in the background for much longer.
https://m.gsmarena.com/us_officials_discussing_ban_of_endtoend_encryption-news-37845.php

People want to talk about backdoors and spying, and yet the very country that claims Huawei is spying wants to ban what keeps peoples privacy and security, here is a real zinger in the article:
The DOJ and FBI were quoted that catching criminals is a top priority, “even if watered-down encryption creates hacking risks”.

And Huawei is a threat!?

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
that anyone takes this Trump serious is beyond me.
Trump is, imho, (one of) the most unreliable world leaders, as well as business men.

First let sh*ts loads of outlets spread news about spying and other ''dangerous stuff'' and all of the sudden on a Saturday we start doing business again with this company, as if nothing happened.

No, this US president is an absolute joke. I would feel embarased/ashamed to have a president like him.

If tomorrow Trump starts a ''spying''-campaign towards the company of Samsung (like he obvious did with Hauwei the last few months) ; any time later and half of US would believe him and stop buying Samsung smartphones.
He just needs to use the proper news outlets to put out garbage about Samsung.
He has THAT much power, that's quite scaring (and dangerous the whole world!!)

resume:

this whole circus has to do with money ans money alone. NOTHING (like security) else!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.