Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Love EVERSPACE so much bought a copy on XB1 since it was on sale as well as the XBox Live Cards were on sale at Amazon as well...

Definitely a different experience playing on the couch with a controller instead of at a desk with a mouse/keyboard.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
MGS V, FF XV, AC Unity, CoD BO III

All bought online when PS store has special offer, very cheap. Good enough for me to play for months :D

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Ordered a copy of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory this weekend. Last one I needed before starting a play through of each Splinter Cell game.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Just purchased in the latest PS Store sale the following:

- Ratchet & Clank.
- The Last of Us Remastered.
- The Order.
- Bloodborne.

All for 62€.

Also bought 'Zombi' for 5€ two weeks ago.

Reactions: Taustin Powers

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just purchased in the latest PS Store sale the following:

- Ratchet & Clank.
- The Last of Us Remastered.
- The Order.
- Bloodborne.

All for 62€.

Also bought 'Zombi' for 5€ two weeks ago.

Cannot Wait for the Last Of Us 2. Last Of Us Remastered was brilliantly executed.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Cannot Wait for the Last Of Us 2. Last Of Us Remastered was brilliantly executed.
Yeah, that's why I bought it. Will get me going until part 2 releases. I never completed the first one. I didn't play too much on PS3 and now I'm finishing some old games, like Bioshock.

Also very excited after hearing the new Spider-Man game will be release this year!!

I'm also thinking about purchasing 'God of War 3' 9€ and the 'Uncharted Collection' for 16€. Already played all Uncharted games on the PS3, so I don't know if I will have time to do them all over again. Maybe I'll just play new games instead of old ones again.

Also 'Uncharted Legacy' will be release this year also.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Between Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and The Witcher 3 which would you guys choose?

Seems The Witcher 3 has better graphics and overall has better critics. Both are on sale right now.

And between The Witcher 3 and GTA V?

I want a new open world game and those three are the same price.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Between Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and The Witcher 3 which would you guys choose?

Seems The Witcher 3 has better graphics and overall has better critics. Both are on sale right now.

And between The Witcher 3 and GTA V?

I want a new open world game and those three are the same price.

Tough decisions. All great games in their own rights.

Between your top three, Witcher 3 for sure. (And I agree with Witcher 3 has great graphics, with a vast open world.)

And between Witcher 3 and GTA V, I prefer more modern open world games. GTA V just plays so smooth and there is so much to do. My advice is GTA V. Rockstar makes such a great game.

Reactions: Sensamic

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Between your top three, Witcher 3 for sure. (And I agree with Witcher 3 has great graphics, with a vast open world.)

Is Witcher 3 worth the time investment? I've been getting bored of most of the open world games I've played lately. They tend to not have the most compelling stories and a lot of boring, repetitive, mostly pointless side missions. Hundreds of hours of gameplay sounds great on paper but if 90% of it is just pointless padding give me a concise, linear game with a great story and I'll be much happier.

Seems Witcher 3 gets a lot of praise so I'm still undecided if I want to give it a try. I've only ever played about an hour of the first Witcher game on PC years ago - just couldn't get into the combat.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Is Witcher 3 worth the time investment? I've been getting bored of most of the open world games I've played lately. They tend to not have the most compelling stories and a lot of boring, repetitive, mostly pointless side missions. Hundreds of hours of gameplay sounds great on paper but if 90% of it is just pointless padding give me a concise, linear game with a great story and I'll be much happier.

Seems Witcher 3 gets a lot of praise so I'm still undecided if I want to give it a try. I've only ever played about an hour of the first Witcher game on PC years ago - just couldn't get into the combat.

Got it as well from a Black Friday sale for like $15 and still havent even opened it. I am like you, I am tired of the term "open world" and how a large portion of games feel it needs to be open world to be successful.

I grow tired of the 200+ hour type games and really want a more concentrated, streamlined type experience.
I know I am in the minority with this but thats my playing preference.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Got it as well from a Black Friday sale for like $15 and still havent even opened it. I am like you, I am tired of the term "open world" and how a large portion of games feel it needs to be open world to be successful.

I grow tired of the 200+ hour type games and really want a more concentrated, streamlined type experience.

I agree with you. I like a linear game that I can finish in a reasonable time. Otherwise, I lose time or interest and it never gets finished because I feel the need to start over to remember the story line.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The other side of the argument is that linear games tend to make you complete more tasks to move forward in order to open up the storyline versus having multiple paths you can take in open world games to create make decisions that impact the character/game. (Which can also apply to open world games.)

The advantage of open world games is that you don't have to complete or do everything. Usually most open world games allow you to pick and choose your missions the way you want to play. I've never played an open world game to 100% of completition, because I don't feel like investing 200+ hours into a game, where linear games drive the gamer to seek the ending.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Which is what I prefer for my gaming style and that is why it is great to have choice.

Noted from your previous post. My point was both games offer the same concept, just different routes for the gamer to take advantage of, essentially which offers more content in open world games, that is if the gamer actually takes advantage of the additional content.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Bought Lego City Undercover on PS4 and it's great. Just how I always wanted it to be. On my PS4 Pro its smooth with stable frame rate and no tearing and load times are 1/3 of what they were on the Wii U.

I tried Switch version at GameStop (they allowed me to try it as I'm an 'epic' loyalty with no hassle returns) and the load times were at least double PS4 and the handheld mode which was all i tried was very choppy (worse than the Wii U's worst moments).

Reactions: s0nicpr0s

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Witcher 3 easily has 250 hours worth of content inside the game. It's a vast open world, graphically stunning, but overall is a solid game. There are lots of side quests that you do NOT have to complete and the main story missions can be boring at times, but other times can be very exciting.

HowEver, I think you will find out that every open world game will have "Padding" missions that either assist in developing the storyline or are there for your playing pleasure. In retrospect, of all the open world games I have played, I don't think I've ever come across a game that doesn't have filler missions. It's just part of the sandbox world, where developers try to utilize the environment And the resources around them to make the game as explorable as much as possible.

If you were looking for a game that is linear and concise as you stated in your previous post, then no, I would not suggest this game to you or many other open world games for that matter.

Reactions: Weaselboy

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Hundreds of hours of gameplay sounds great on paper but if 90% of it is just pointless padding give me a concise, linear game with a great story and I'll be much happier.

I grow tired of the 200+ hour type games and really want a more concentrated, streamlined type experience. I know I am in the minority with this but thats my playing preference.
I'm with you both 100%.

I watched my son finish BoTW on the Switch last week. Just a guess here, I think he probably put 200 hours in it. He's done 110 shrines, the four divine beasts, 100% on stamina (3 full rings), and 25 hearts (out of possible 30), and lots of heavily upgraded gears. Oh and a measly 100+ Korok seeds out of the 900+ possible :eek: The final boss battle seemed too easy. In fact all boss battles (the divine beasts) were quite easy. He's still playing on and off to find the remaining shrines.

I love most Zelda games, but BoTW was not one because of the "open world" nature, and the complete lack of traditional Zelda dungeons. Unfortunately, Nintendo stated this is the direction on future Zelda titles. I do not believe I'll purchase another "open world" title. BoTW being the first and last. I actually returned my copy of Horizon Zero Dawn unopened.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Deformers Collector's Edition - half off for Power Up Pro members - $20!

Played it on Steam - fun game!

Looking forward to playing on Xbox One...

Downloading Day 1 Update right now (obviously, there were bugs during the Steam Betas over the last 3 weekends).

The figures are really, really cool.

Though, the one with the spikes can cause bleeding - there's probably gonna be a "product recall" soon... :eek:

Gonna keep mine, nonetheless...

Reactions: MRU

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Just bought GTA V for PS4. About to play it. Really excited after all the reviews I've seen in YouTube.

Chose it above Witcher 3. Will probably buy that later on when it becomes even cheaper on a PS Store sale.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just bought GTA V for PS4. About to play it. Really excited after all the reviews I've seen in YouTube.

Chose it above Witcher 3. Will probably buy that later on when it becomes even cheaper on a PS Store sale.

GTA V. One of my all-time favorite games. Not because of the storyline, but Rockstar did such a great job with the open, dynamic world. There are so many little details this game entails that It did so well, that makes it seem like you're immersed into a real world. From the weather effects, to the cars, to the expansion of exploring an open environment, I really enjoyed this game for everything it had to offer.

Even for a five-year-old game, Rockstar still does things better than other developers fail to do in today's open world games. The More you play, the more you will notice the subtle features that the other games are missing. I'm looking very forward to Red Dead Redemption 2 late this fall.

Enjoy.

Reactions: Sensamic

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
So up until last week I didn't care about Persona 5 at all. Then over the weekend, a friend mentioned that he was having difficulty tracking down a copy to give as a gift. Regular versions of the game were even selling at a premium on eBay. So I looked into it, and was immediately curious at its scarcity...which then became a challenge to try and find a copy. After scouring the web, I got lucky with one online store that happened to get a small batch in.

tl;dr, Persona 5 (PS4). Also Mario Kart 8 on Switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.