Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
The Logitech combo touch has a fundamental flaw in it: the trackpad freezes every so often, like once an hour. Just hit a key on the keyboard to get it back, but this proved extremely annoying. It’s all over the internet and probably this thread if I read all 9 pages. But just wanted to let new people know. It’s too bad, because it was a nice case and when it worked it was very well made. I switched to the Magic Keyboard because of this. It’s even better made, but just not as flexible as the combo touch. Logitech won’t acknowledge the trackpad flaw unfortunately.
Have had mine for over a year and not once has that happened to me. I use it every day in my real estate business and works as well as the day I got it. Have you installed the Logitech Control app on your iPad and updated the firmware?

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
That’s great, and I was going to buy another one to test, but I read too many stories about the replacement units having this issue too. I upgraded the firmware many, many times, no avail, and my experience parallels the hundreds or people on Reddit, Logitech forums. Perhaps that is a small percentage of those sold, but still…. The Magic Keyboard that I’m typing on now is a more premium product, but it’s not nearly as versatile. I miss that function row. I wonder how many times I can buy and return from amazon to get a combo touch without this problem. I’m wondering if it’s a certain batch that has this issue. I’d say if I buy 3 separate units and they all have this problem, Logitech has a problem.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Maybe it's just not as big of a problem as some are trying to make it out to be, and that is why Logitech is not acknowledging it. As far as I know, the LCT comes with a one year warranty like all their products, and can be repaired or returned within that period. My relationship with Logitech and their products over the last almost 30 years has been an excellent experience. I have had one product that I had to return in all that time. I still have a couple of their products that are 16 and 18 years old that I use regularly. I liked my LCT so much that my brother decided to get one for his iPad Pro, and he too has experienced no problems with his. For the money that you save over the magic keyboard, Logitech provides a very quality premium product that is not only more protective and durable and stands up to more abuse than Apple's MKB, but also provides more features, a bigger click anywhere touch pad, an excellent typing experience, a whole row of very useful function keys, a keyboard that can detach but leaves the iPad in a very protective case that has a fully adjustable stand, lighted keyboard, and no need to charge because it has the connector pins like the MKB. I have read many stories here, and Reddit of many problems with the MKB also. The material it is made of gets dirty easily, wears out and shows age quickly, the keyboard expanding and seams splitting open, etc., and all from a much more expensive "Premium" product. Truth is, I love Apple's hardware, but their accessories are overpriced, and made in China just like the rest of the tech we buy. Logitech has been around for over 40 years and has a well known reputation for its products and accessories, and in this case, the LCT offers more than the MKB for a lesser price, more durable, and more features, making it a much better bang for your buck.

Edit: BTW, Apple has its own history of quality issues that it has had to be forced to own up to.

IMG_1356.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: nzxred

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
I’ve had my Logitech Combo Touch for 1.5 years, right when the 2021 iPad Pro 12.9 was released. One side, by the speaker grill, the rubber surround is getting stretched out. But I mean, can’t really complain. The case has been getting 1.5 years of use.

Reactions: bondr006

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
I’ve had my Logitech Combo Touch for 1.5 years, right when the 2021 iPad Pro 12.9 was released. One side, by the speaker grill, the rubber surround is getting stretched out. But I mean, can’t really complain. The case has been getting 1.5 years of use.
Yeah, that is a weak spot but I think the 12.9" version had more problems with the stretching around the speaker grills than the 11" did. I have the 11" and still no stretching, but I leave mine in the case for protection, so there is not a lot of wear and tear with taking it off and putting it back on. I've had mine a little over a year now.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Alright, little update, small sample size, but I bought a brand new one from Target, trackpad freezes randomly. Another one from Amazon brand new, also freezes randomly. Updated firmware, etc etc. Bad luck, maybe, but thankfully I can return. I also picked up a used magic keyboard, and I experienced zero trackpad issues. It's not as flexible but without question more premium of an experience. I'm just going to stick with the magic keyboard as I value rock solid core features more than the function row and the extra protection. Also pretty sure there is a problem (?software) with these combo touches that basically won't be fixed.

Last edited:

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
I've had the unresponsive touchpad issue. Just disconnect/reconnect the keyboard and it works again. Doesn't happen very often to me.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
If it doesn’t bother you that’s cool. But I experienced the freezes around once every hour or two, so multiple times a day. Given the high price, I didn’t want to deal with it. Besides, I’ve never had any device or laptop do this before. FWIW my Magic Keyboard has none of these issues and is rock solid.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
The stretching in the sides, espeically around the speakers, happens because of the way people grab their iPads. If you grab/hold it with one hand, with four fingers on the back, and your thumb pressing down on the side, you will bend the rubber side outward, and a lot of folks do that exactly where the rubber side is weakest, around the speakers.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
The stretching in the sides, espeically around the speakers, happens because of the way people grab their iPads. If you grab/hold it with one hand, with four fingers on the back, and your thumb pressing down on the side, you will bend the rubber side outward, and a lot of folks do that exactly where the rubber side is weakest, around the speakers.
Not once I held my 12.9" this way, and it still developed "rubber ears" around all four speakers. I live in Europe, so no heatwaves etc. It’s a design flaw, but I don’t care much about it.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Not once I held my 12.9" this way, and it still developed "rubber ears" around all four speakers. I live in Europe, so no heatwaves etc. It’s a design flaw, but I don’t care much about it.
Well, I have had mine since Nov 2021. Get's used every day and not a sign of "stretching" or "rubber ears".

IMG_3694.jpg
IMG_3696.jpg

Reactions: nzxred

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Well, I have had mine since Nov 2021. Get's used every day and not a sign of "stretching" or "rubber ears".

View attachment 2165823 View attachment 2165822
Strange. I think I care well for my devices. To the point I don’t need a screen protector on any of them. When I press down on the "ear", it doesn’t appear to be stretched at all, it fits, just doesn’t want to stay like it. I don’t know what caused it, it slowly formed to what it it looks like today 😂😅.
FAD11CFF-AD31-4335-9365-D56854D3D1FC.jpeg

Tbh, how many people can truly say their iPad "has grown ears"? 🧐🙃

Last edited:

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I have had mine for a few Month now, since the M2 iPad Pro came out, and not a smidgen of stretching around the speakers. I am conscious though, every time I carry my iPad in one hand, that I do use those specific areas for support.

There is no doubt in my mind that this stretching only happens because of an external force exerting outward pressure on the side where the side is weak because of the speaker holes.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I have had mine for a few Month now, since the M2 iPad Pro came out, and not a smidgen of stretching around the speakers. I am conscious though, every time I carry my iPad in one hand, that I do use those specific areas for support.

There is no doubt in my mind that this stretching only happens because of an external force exerting outward pressure on the side where the side is weak because of the speaker holes.
The only force I ever present to my iPad is the opposite one, the inwards one. When I carry my iPad, I take it by both hands (putting just enough Newtons on both sides to lift it). Then, I carry my iPad holding it on the bottom of the wide side in one hand.
So, I’m pressing X to doubt your doubt.
My theory is, on a sunny day, it got hot enough in my backpack. The rubber stretched where it could (around the speakers). It cooled off and stayed deformed in that way, forever.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
My theory is, on a sunny day, it got hot enough in my backpack. The rubber stretched where it could (around the speakers). It cooled off and stayed deformed in that way, forever.
I'll certainly grant you that it looks "funny" that it should stretch the same at all 4 speakers... If that is the case, I'd complain with Logitech. Only poor material will act like that, and I'd say that easily classified is a manuafacturing issue and you should get a replacement.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
Bought this today, am just mindblown how good this case is. The added weight is nice. The ipad bare was too light for my liking and adding more weight makes it feel better in the hands. Everyone wants lighter but I prefer heavier. Now you don’t have to be worried about the ipad breaking when you throw it down the stairs with this combo case on.

I find the keyboard to be better quality than the Surface Type cover and I don’t get why anyone would say the Logitech combo touch isn’t lappable. I have no issues. I have a feeling people who say this isn’t lappable and trying to use it while standing. You are sitting when trying to use it on your laptop right, and not standing right?

Last edited:

Peter_John

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2022
Bought this today, am just mindblown how good this case is. The added weight is nice. The ipad bare was too light for my liking and adding more weight makes it feel better in the hands. Everyone wants lighter but I prefer heavier. Now you don’t have to be worried about the ipad breaking when you throw it down the stairs with this combo case on.

I find the keyboard to be better quality than the Surface Type cover and I don’t get why anyone would say the Logitech combo touch isn’t lappable. I have no issues. I have a feeling people who say this isn’t lappable and trying to use it while standing. You are sitting when trying to use it on your laptop right, and not standing right?
Nice to know it is a good fit for the iPad.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
Nice to know it is a good fit for the iPad.

No problem. I do find it to be a bit expensive though, luckily I got it on sale this week for $30CAD off. The case is soooo good, instantly fell in love with it but I am still getting used to the additional weight when the keyboard is detached as I've been using a super thin TPU case up until now that added barely any weight to the ipad when in the hand.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Understood quality varies on every product. But 1.5 years for case is not long use. I have my Magic Keyboard, almost 2 years which is still in very good condition (not saying it’s pristine as it had oily mark in space bar and few other keys).

Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Understood quality varies on every product. But 1.5 years for case is not long use. I have my Magic Keyboard, almost 2 years which is still in very good condition (not saying it’s pristine as it had oily mark in space bar and few other keys).
I've already reported that my Logitech was replaced free of charge due to the screen edge frames stretching outward, and thinning at two places. Well with two days use I've got the same problem in one spot, though it is just beginning. I've reverted to my Apple keyboard folio, but I sure miss the function buttons and edge protection. Also the Logitech does bulk up the iPad when slipping it into several of my camera bags/backpacks. It is a pretty tight fit.

I guess you can't have your "cake and eat it too". ;)

TriSpyker

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
Hey everyone,
I just bought the Combo Touch and I‘m unsure if I should keep it or try to exchange it for another unit. Is it normal that the case doesn‘t sit flush against the iPad around the Apple Pencil cutout? There‘s a pretty substantial gap on mine, which would allow dust and even sand to get into there pretty easily. I tried bending it inward a little, but that didn‘t help.
221B7388-A8A0-4A3A-855E-08A1CCD907F2.jpeg

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
Hey everyone,
I just bought the Combo Touch and I‘m unsure if I should keep it or try to exchange it for another unit. Is it normal that the case doesn‘t sit flush against the iPad around the Apple Pencil cutout? There‘s a pretty substantial gap on mine, which would allow dust and even sand to get into there pretty easily. I tried bending it inward a little, but that didn‘t help.
View attachment 2219669

I just checked mine, yes it's normal mine is the same. I always have my apple pencil there so I've never noticed it until you mentioned it but it doesn't bother me anyways.

The bottom kickstand will also develop a gap over time as you open and close it more and more. Be sure to open and close it by grabbing the center of the kickstand. Much better to have the developed gap in the center of the case and not in a corner.

Enjoy the new case, it's a pretty kick ass keyboard case combo.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Hey everyone,
View attachment 2219669
I have the LCT for my M1 iPad Pro 11, and it looks about the same as yours. Never noticed it until you posted this. Don't let it bother you. This is an excellent keyboard case. In my opinion, the best.

IMG-5971.jpg

Last edited:

TriSpyker

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
Thanks you two! I‘m really torn if I should keep it. Versatility is really good, especially with the detachable keyboard. But it does turn the light iPad Pro into a chubby bunny.
The alternative would be a Magic Keyboard combined with the Smart Folio. Use the MK for light work, and easily switch to the Folio for note taking, light photo editing and multimedia stuff. Doesn‘t really offer any protection, but would probably offer a nicer feeling experience. Price would be about double the Combo Touch, due to discounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.