Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
So, I’ve been trying to get a Ti Natural without scratches out of the box as I think it looks great paired with a link bracelet. I was losing hope (after 4 returns) and decided that they probably don’t exist, so thought I’d try the white ceramic and brown leather loop.... Wow! I’ve always thought the white looked too bright, hence why I got the grey ceramic for my Series 3, but this is REALLY growing on me.

AJ44

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2019
So, I’ve been trying to get a Ti Natural without scratches out of the box as I think it looks great paired with a link bracelet. I was losing hope (after 4 returns) and decided that they probably don’t exist, so thought I’d try the white ceramic and brown leather loop.... Wow! I’ve always thought the white looked too bright, hence why I got the grey ceramic for my Series 3, but this is REALLY growing on me.

Ceramic and Natural Ti to me look so much better in person and pictures do not do them justice.

Reactions: Bazooka-joe

otisblack

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009

i did the same thing with stainless steel. Bought and returned 8 or 9 before ending up with one without scratches out of the box. Really disappointed with Apple Quality control. I prob will just get the ceramic for Series 6 because I don’t want to go though the hassle of buying and returning again, even though I like the look of steel better. :/

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
i did the same thing with stainless steel. Bought and returned 8 or 9 before ending up with one without scratches out of the box.

No snark, but this is a bit ridiculous. (You’re Probably flagged in Apples data-base FYI.). I mean, I totally understand the frustration when you’re spending that kind of money on a stainless steel Apple Watch when you expect something to look new without damage, but to exchange 9 Apple watches is extreme. What I would do, is teach Apple a lesson by not giving them your money if their quality control is poor and give them feedback regarding your experience. But to invest that much time in purchasing _that_ many Apple Watches seems exhausting, and quite frankly, it’s a bit obsessive.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
No snark, but this is a bit ridiculous. (You’re Probably flagged in Apples data-base FYI.). I mean, I totally understand the frustration when you’re spending that kind of money on a stainless steel Apple Watch when you expect something to look new without damage, but to exchange 9 Apple watches is extreme. What I would do, is teach Apple a lesson by not giving them your money if their quality control is poor and give them feedback regarding your experience. But to invest that much time in purchasing _that_ many Apple Watches seems exhausting, and quite frankly, it’s a bit obsessive.

I drew the line at 4, that was my cutoff. The ceramic obviously is pristine though lol

otisblack

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009

Agreed that it's obsessive, but for its cost, it shouldn't be scratched out of the box. I'm not scared of being "flagged in Apple's databases" lol. That's not even a thing, FYI. Also, I doubt I'd be teaching a trillion dollar company "a lesson" by having them miss out on my $800 purchase.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Agreed that it's obsessive, but for its cost, it shouldn't be scratched out of the box.

I totally agree with you. When you’re paying for a quality product, you would expect something not to be damaged out of the box, even if it’s a minor imperfection. But that’s the risk you take when you purchase a mass produced tech product.

I'm not scared of being "flagged in Apple's databases" lol.

I’m not sure why you’re using the word ‘scared’ (Nor did I imply you should be), that seems a bit overdramatic. My point is, I wouldn’t be surprised if you are flagged in their system for ‘multiple returns’ on the same product. It’s not that they’ll deny you future returns, but most retailers anything after three returns of the same product, will flag you for excessive returns (Especially if you made multiple returns to different Apple stores in a short amount of time).

I doubt I'd be teaching a trillion dollar company "a lesson" by having them miss out on my $800 purchase.

This is poor mentality. How do you think Apple became 1 trillion dollar company? [Rhetorical]They did that by putting out a good product, reputable customer service and quality services. If they lose business to a customer who’s willing to spend $800 on an Apple Watch, I’d say they care to a degree to make it right and/or pass your feedback along to a quality control engineer as example. That’s why I suggested to you, why don’t you give them feedback on your situation versus making all these excessive/obsessive returns.

Reactions: bobsamm

otisblack

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
I totally agree with you. When you’re paying for a quality product, you would expect something not to be damaged out of the box, even if it’s a minor imperfection. But that’s the risk you take when you purchase a mass produced tech product.

I’m not sure why you’re using the word ‘scared’ (Nor did I imply you should be), that seems a bit overdramatic. My point is, I wouldn’t be surprised if you are flagged in their system for ‘multiple returns’ on the same product. It’s not that they’ll deny you future returns, but most retailers anything after three returns of the same product, will flag you for excessive returns (Especially if you made multiple returns to different Apple stores in a short amount of time).

This is poor mentality. How do you think Apple became 1 trillion dollar company? [Rhetorical]They did that by putting out a good product, reputable customer service and quality services. If they lose business to a customer who’s willing to spend $800 on an Apple Watch, I’d say they care to a degree to make it right and/or pass your feedback along to a quality control engineer as example. That’s why I suggested to you, why don’t you give them feedback on your situation versus making all these excessive/obsessive returns.

1. Apple doesn't make it easy to pass along feedback to engineering/manufacturing departments; I got my situation resolved faster by making returns within the two week window in person vs. going through AppleCare support, making a case, waiting for a replacement, etc. Not my job to go out of my way to tell Apple how to quality control their products; the number of returns with the reason being "scratched out of the box" (which I did mention to the Apple Store employees handling my returns each time) is enough of a message.

2. Even if I was "flagged in their system", which is only speculation on your part, it won't affect me in any way, so I don't care. The only point of you saying that was to be dramatic and cautionary. No idea why my actions bother you so much. But please, continue to lecture strangers on the internet about their "poor mentality" because it differs from your own.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple doesn't make it easy to pass along feedback to engineering/manufacturing departments

How Would you know? Did you actually attempt to? [Those are both rhetorical questions, because we know you didn’t make an attempt at all, besides complain on here.]

Dialing a 1-800 number for customer relations makes it difficult where a representative couldn’t pass it along to the appropriate source? Not sure how that’s really all that difficult, especially being that Apple list these numbers directly on their website.

Even if I was "flagged in their system", which is only speculation on your part, it won't affect me in any way, so I don't care.

Ok. Says the the guy who purchased/returned _eight_ Apple Watches just to ensure he could receive the perfect one, but yet says he ‘doesn’t care’, yet cares enough to complain on a tech forum, but won’t pass direct information to Apple about issues with their manufacturing process. Because that makes complete sense.

Point is, (even if you don’t want accept it), is if you went through that much trouble to spend your time, money and resources to go to an Apple store to purchase eight Apple Watches, yet you wouldn’t give them feedback based on on your experience by dialing a simple phone number? (Or even an E-mail would suffice).

otisblack

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
How Would you know? Did you actually attempt to? [Those are both rhetorical questions, because we know you didn’t make an attempt at all, besides complain on here.]

Dialing a 1-800 number for customer relations makes it difficult where a representative couldn’t pass it along to the appropriate source? Not sure how that’s really all that difficult, especially being that Apple list these numbers directly on their website.

Ok. Says the the guy who purchased/returned _eight_ Apple Watches just to ensure he could receive the perfect one, but yet says he ‘doesn’t care’, yet cares enough to complain on a tech forum, but won’t pass direct information to Apple about issues with their manufacturing process. Because that makes complete sense.

Point is, (even if you don’t want accept it), is if you went through that much trouble to spend your time, money and resources to go to an Apple store to purchase eight Apple Watches, yet you wouldn’t give them feedback based on on your experience by dialing a simple phone number? (Or even an E-mail would suffice).

I would know because I've returned other Apple products in the past and returning/rebuying was easier/less time consuming than going through AppleCare for a replacement if I am within the 14-day return window. More importantly, please re-read my previous post about how I already gave feedback to Apple about the defective Watches through the most appropriate channel-- the return process questions the employees ask about reason for return when making a return in-store. Also, there is no simple e-mail or phone call to relay this information; they would want to see the device in question, which would involve me mailing the watch to Apple, waiting for replacement, etc. Or, I could go to the store, explain the problem, and walk out with a new one in 10 minutes. Let me know if I need to clarify or re-type this again for you. Otherwise, good talk, and good night.

Reactions: bobsamm

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Ok, all in all I bought 7 Apple Watches since 2015 and none of them had a „scratch out of the box“. Also, considering the huge number of Apple Watches sold, I’ve read very few times about such things happening. So I have a VERY hard time believing someone can have such incredibly bad luck to get 8 Watches in a row „scratched out of the box“. Sounds really, really improbable and far-fetched to me.

To be clear, as with any and all mass-produced items, these things do happen occasionally. But not 8 times in a row.

And @Karim: 4 times in a row? Wow. Also kinda hard to believe ... You didn‘t yet provide pictures in the titanium thread, did you? I‘m just glad mine came in flawless.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Ok, all in all I bought 7 Apple Watches since 2015 and none of them had a „scratch out of the box“. Also, considering the huge number of Apple Watches sold, I’ve read very few times about such things happening. So I have a VERY hard time believing someone can have such incredibly bad luck to get 8 Watches in a row „scratched out of the box“. Sounds really, really improbable and far-fetched to me.

To be clear, as with any and all mass-produced items, these things do happen occasionally. But not 8 times in a row.

And @Karim: 4 times in a row? Wow. Also kinda hard to believe ... You didn‘t yet provide pictures in the titanium thread, did you? I‘m just glad mine came in flawless.

Yes, four times in a row, believe what you like, doesn’t bother me one bit. I haven’t provided pictures as I’ve been busy

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
1. Apple doesn't make it easy to pass along feedback to engineering/manufacturing departments; I got my situation resolved faster by making returns within the two week window in person vs. going through AppleCare support, making a case, waiting for a replacement, etc. Not my job to go out of my way to tell Apple how to quality control their products; the number of returns with the reason being "scratched out of the box" (which I did mention to the Apple Store employees handling my returns each time) is enough of a message.

2. Even if I was "flagged in their system", which is only speculation on your part, it won't affect me in any way, so I don't care. The only point of you saying that was to be dramatic and cautionary. No idea why my actions bother you so much. But please, continue to lecture strangers on the internet about their "poor mentality" because it differs from your own.
I’m not sure Apple receives a lot of feedback. When we return an item to the store the Apple employee just takes it and gives us a replacement without seemingly recording the issue.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
anyone wanna buy my 44mm ceramic?

Your best option if you want to sell to a member on here, is use the ‘community forum marketplace’. [You meet the requirements as a member], and you would have the option of having more of a focus group would be interested in purchasing in general versus just this thread.

Nancy&co

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Devon
Just wondering what everyone’s opinion is as to whether or not there will be a ceramic edition Apple Watch available for series 6? I finally find myself in the position of being able to get a ceramic watch but don’t know whether to risk waiting until series 6. I realise given what is going on with the world today these things are not important but your opinions sure would be a nice distraction ?

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Just wondering what everyone’s opinion is as to whether or not there will be a ceramic edition Apple Watch available for series 6? I finally find myself in the position of being able to get a ceramic watch but don’t know whether to risk waiting until series 6. I realise given what is going on with the world today these things are not important but your opinions sure would be a nice distraction ?

So far Apple has (with the exception of the crazy 18K gold Edition Watches) never reduced the available materials unless the design of the Watch itself changed. As the current design will probably be kept for at least another generation, I‘m pretty sure there will be a ceramic S6; actually, I would expect that maybe the grey ceramic (or another colour?) will be added again.

History of the available materials and colours:

S0: Steel (silver + black), Aluminum (silver + grey + gold + rose gold), 18K (yellow gold + rose gold)
S2: added Ceramic (white), lost 18K (both colours)
S3: added Ceramic (grey), lost Aluminum (rose gold)

——— design change ———

S4: added Steel (gold), lost Ceramic (both colours)
S5: added Ceramic (white), added Titanium (silver + black)

Reactions: Nancy&co

Norre8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2018
With only 3-4 months to go, I’d wait. Best case scenario you get a ceramic series 6, worst case you get a ceramic series 5 for cheaper.

Nancy&co

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Devon
With only 3-4 months to go, I’d wait. Best case scenario you get a ceramic series 6, worst case you get a ceramic series 5 for cheaper.
I guess I was worried that the S5 ceramic may not be available to buy if they discontinued it like they did with S4 particularly as Apple is the only place to get the ceramic version ?

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002

Well, Watches usually are released alongside new iPhones in late September, so it‘s at least 5,5 months from now - without any virus-related delays.

I guess I was worried that the S5 ceramic may not be available to buy if they discontinued it like they did with S4 particularly as Apple is the only place to get the ceramic version ?

This is exactly the problem - there will be no “old“ inventory with other vendors and Apple themselves never sell remaining stock after the new Watch is released. You may find a used one on ebay of course. Maybe we‘ll get a reliable rumour from Ming Chi-Kuo before the S6 release wrt available materials.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

That depends if Apple offers the ceramic again for the Series 6. They’re really unpredictable in terms of casing materials/colors on an annual basis, I would like to believe they would probably re-introduce the gray ceramic this year, but then again, They may not offer the ceramic at all. I think one thing is for certain, the Ti finish will definitely make a second appearance, probably in another finished color as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.