Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
Just wondering what everyone’s opinion is as to whether or not there will be a ceramic edition Apple Watch available for series 6? I finally find myself in the position of being able to get a ceramic watch but don’t know whether to risk waiting until series 6. I realise given what is going on with the world today these things are not important but your opinions sure would be a nice distraction ?

I might be wrong but I believe there were rumors that Apple was considering re-introducing the gray ceramic for the Series 6. But with the coronavirus disrupting everything I'm no longer sure whether that's still the case. Apple's current focus is getting the iPhone 12 out on time so they might reduce the number of Series 6 casing options this year who knows.

Reactions: Nancy&co

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
My impression is that apple took some time to create the ceramic model for the series 4 design because of it being non-metallic. They had previously said it required precise engineering to achieve the integrity they wanted..

So if series 6 is the same watch design as now, high chance you'd still have the ceramic available.. only unless they changed the entire watch design again..? think it's unlikely though..

So far Apple has (with the exception of the crazy 18K gold Edition Watches) never reduced the available materials unless the design of the Watch itself changed. As the current design will probably be kept for at least another generation, I‘m pretty sure there will be a ceramic S6; actually, I would expect that maybe the grey ceramic (or another colour?) will be added again.

History of the available materials and colours:

S0: Steel (silver + black), Aluminum (silver + grey + gold + rose gold), 18K (yellow gold + rose gold)
S2: added Ceramic (white), lost 18K (both colours)
S3: added Ceramic (grey), lost Aluminum (rose gold)

——— design change ———

S4: added Steel (gold), lost Ceramic (both colours)
S5: added Ceramic (white), added Titanium (silver + black)

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
So if series 6 is the same watch design as now, high chance you'd still have the ceramic available.. only unless they changed the entire watch design again..? think it's unlikely though..

Yeah, the Series 6 is likely to look similar to the Series 5, but we don’t know whether there’ll be internal chassis changes to fit new technology (e.g. more space for a larger battery to support sleep tracking or a new sensor). Those changes will probably require a slightly newer mold and more structural/integrity tests for the ceramic watches which could be affected by the coronavirus.

Mishabella

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
Cali
Hey guys! Anyone received the Peacock colored leather band for their ceramic? I would love to see what it looks like IRL. ♥️♥️

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I agree, I'd put my money on (but not literally) the grey ceramic making a comeback. Also, a September release might be a little optimistic with what's going on at the moment, some are saying more towards the end of the year.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Sorry, I'm sure I missed this somewhere but... Are you able to buy the Ceramic watch - and ONLY get the included white band - not choosing another band to add to the watch? I have so many bands already. I cannot find the ability to do this on the website?

Nancy&co

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Devon
Sorry, I'm sure I missed this somewhere but... Are you able to buy the Ceramic watch - and ONLY get the included white band - not choosing another band to add to the watch? I have so many bands already. I cannot find the ability to do this on the website?
No, you have to choose a band to go with it, but you can always sell the band afterwards ?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Would they need to with a black stainless watch already in the range? Ceramic offers no benefit apart from appearance from what I can tell and the shiny black stainless watch sort of covers this aesthetic IMO.

Maybe guess it could look quite similar. Suppose the look of the ceramic is to stand out which maybe wouldn’t with other colours.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Ok! I'm joining the club! I've been on the fence for a while... But, thankfully I checked my Aeroplan account today and saw the most wonderful thing!

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 3.20.28 PM.png

And so, as I'm in Canada - the total came to $2200... X7 for the miles :) Lovely :)

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 3.20.06 PM.png

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Would they need to with a black stainless watch already in the range? Ceramic offers no benefit apart from appearance from what I can tell and the shiny black stainless watch sort of covers this aesthetic IMO.

To me the main benefit is that it appears almost impossible to damage a ceramic watch. You can knock it against walls all day and it will look as good as the day you got it. Steel on the other hand can still scratch - sure you can buff it back, but I'd rather have something that I don't have to worry about.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
To me the main benefit is that it appears almost impossible to damage a ceramic watch. You can knock it against walls all day and it will look as good as the day you got it. Steel on the other hand can still scratch - sure you can buff it back, but I'd rather have something that I don't have to worry about.
Space black SS from all reports seems also impossible to damage. Normal SS yeah you can get some marks. Mine had a few but managed to buff them out.

twylie

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
I guess I was worried that the S5 ceramic may not be available to buy if they discontinued it like they did with S4 particularly as Apple is the only place to get the ceramic version ?

I had the same concern right before the Series 4 came out. I bought the S3 Ceramic through Apple the day before the S4 announcement. If they had released a ceramic S4, I'd have returned my S3 and bought the S4. I'm still wearing the white ceramic S3 and will now likely do the same thing right before the S6 announcement. Figure I'll either get a S5 white ceramic or be able to buy an S6 for roughly the same price.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

It’s a hell of a lot of money to spend just to satisfy a desire not to put some tiny scratches on it in my view. At least with the white ceramic it looks like nothing else in the range and the black SS is pretty hard to scratch anyway by all accounts. I’m an aluminium fan anyway and enjoy the watch for what it is during its very short life span.

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
It’s a hell of a lot of money to spend just to satisfy a desire not to put some tiny scratches on it in my view. At least with the white ceramic it looks like nothing else in the range and the black SS is pretty hard to scratch anyway by all accounts. I’m an aluminium fan anyway and enjoy the watch for what it is during its very short life span.

Yeah and that's why Apple is offering various finishes in different price points to suit people's tastes. For me, I love the look and durability of the ceramic body and I appreciate good craftsmanship. As a material science guy, I know crafting a durable watch body out of ceramic is not easy. That's why I'm willing to spend that much money because it's not just a watch for me but also a work of art.

Of course, if I were just looking for the most bang out of my buck the aluminum would make the most sense.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yeah and that's why Apple is offering various finishes in different price points to suit people's tastes. For me, I love the look and durability of the ceramic body and I appreciate good craftsmanship. As a material science guy, I know crafting a durable watch body out of ceramic is not easy. That's why I'm willing to spend that much money because it's not just a watch for me but also a work of art.

Of course, if I were just looking for the most bang out of my buck the aluminum would make the most sense.

Not trying to do it down as we all buy what we like. Money isn’t an issue for me I just like the aluminium for what it offers for the money and from an engineering point of view. I love aluminium and it’s something I work a lot with. They are all essentially the same watch, enjoy! :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It seems every year I come across this thread with the ceramic Apple Watch, and I always end up passing on it. The reality is, I actually really want the ceramic model, but the problem I have, is I upgrade my the Apple Watch on annual basis, and to spend over $1200 on a ceramic Apple Watch that I’ll probably have less than a year just isn’t worth it to me. If I were to keep my Apple Watch for a duration longer than three years, then I would totally be on board with the ceramic.

What I found out also, when I tend to resell the current Apple Watch model, [which I usually opt for the stainless], locally nobody ever seems to want it, because they don’t want spend that type of money on the more expensive casing, when they would rather have a cheapest/entry level aluminum Apple Watch, simply because they all perform the same watchOS.

Reactions: AJ44

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Guess if I was to get a Ceramic watch it would have to use it for many years and not upgrade it every year. Be one of those where I would wear it for nights out, work and special evenings and still have another Apple Watch for sport,gym etc that’s the only way I could justify it but then I would be using two Apple watches? Maybe not a good idea

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Guess if I was to get a Ceramic watch it would have to use it for many years and not upgrade it every year. Be one of those where I would wear it for nights out, work and special evenings and still have another Apple Watch for sport,gym etc that’s the only way I could justify it but then I would be using two Apple watches? Maybe not a good idea

That's what I do. You get an extra year with AppleCare+, so you're good for 3 years and that makes things a little easier to swallow. I kept my old grey ceramic for the gym.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
I would wear it for nights out, work and special evenings and still have another Apple Watch for sport,gym etc that’s the only way I could justify it but then I would be using two Apple watches? Maybe not a good idea
No different than someone who wears a Rolex etc for work and nights out and uses a different watch for the gym. This is just the apple watch version of that scenario - and if you find yourself in that scenario it's not a bad problem to have :)

Reactions: The Game 161

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
Out of curiosity, does anyone workout with their ceramic Apple Watch? Personally, I keep my ceramic for daily wear and switch to my Nike for workouts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.