Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Out of curiosity, does anyone workout with their ceramic Apple Watch? Personally, I keep my ceramic for daily wear and switch to my Nike for workouts.

I do. I only take mine off to shower/eat breakfast which is when I charge it. I'm only using free weights, and no machines though. If I was at a gym using machines I might use my S4 aluminum for that. But the home gym, only free weights and floor exercises I'm not concerned about it getting damaged.

More chance of it to get damaged in my daily hiking and mountain biking and all other outdoor activities 🤣 I don't treat it any different than my aluminum S4. If it does get smashed - it's just $99CAD to get it replaced through Applecare+

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
I do. I only take mine off to shower/eat breakfast which is when I charge it. I'm only using free weights, and no machines though. If I was at a gym using machines I might use my S4 aluminum for that. But the home gym, only free weights and floor exercises I'm not concerned about it getting damaged.

More chance of it to get damaged in my daily hiking and mountain biking and all other outdoor activities 🤣 I don't treat it any different than my aluminum S4. If it does get smashed - it's just $99CAD to get it replaced through Applecare+

Fair enough! I know the ceramic's no different from the other models is terms of handling sweat etc, but it just feels weird to me working out with a $1300 watch haha

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
No different than someone who wears a Rolex etc for work and nights out and uses a different watch for the gym. This is just the apple watch version of that scenario - and if you find yourself in that scenario it's not a bad problem to have :)

I’d say the comparison would be better with a Tag Heuer rather than a Rolex as the price is more in line with the ceramic lol.

Reactions: G.McGilli

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Fair enough! I know the ceramic's no different from the other models is terms of handling sweat etc, but it just feels weird to me working out with a $1300 watch haha

You’re right, it is an expensive smart watch, but at the end of the day, it’s.... just a smart watch. The scary part, if you look at the resale of the ceramic model, it’s terrible. So What’s my point? I try not to worry If I get a scratch anymore, as I did originally where I felt like I had a polish out the scratches on the stainless model for example. The price tag isn’t cheap on the ceramic model, But it starts to get kind of silly when you worry about scratching a smart watch, When it has no financial longevity whatsoever.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I currently use a SBSS, been given the chance to buy a perfect condition used 44mm S5 ceramic at about 50% of retail, which is tempting to see me through to S6. I’ve not seen many used ceramics for sale, any thoughts on whether that’s a reasonable price ?.... I’m happy to lose a bit when I sell again at S6 time. Only slight downside is it doesn’t have Apple Care, but obviously has the remainder of the 2 year warranty to Feb 22.

thanks

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I currently use a SBSS, been given the chance to buy a perfect condition used 44mm S5 ceramic at about 50% of retail, which is tempting to see me through to S6. I’ve not seen many used ceramics for sale, any thoughts on whether that’s a reasonable price ?.... I’m happy to lose a bit when I sell again at S6 time. Only slight downside is it doesn’t have Apple Care, but obviously has the remainder of the 2 year warranty to Feb 22.

thanks

Your best option to compare the ceramic prices is on eBay from private sellers (Not commercial). With that said, you will see availability based on conditions, straps/accessories included, and if there’s any warranty attached.

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
I recently noticed a black stain on my ceramic pin that doesn't seem to go away with water and soap no matter how I hard I scrub it. Personally I'm a little baffled how the it got stained in the first place. Polished ceramic doesn't seem like something that would stain easily and the rest of the band is miraculously stain-free. The stain and my OCD are driving me nuts.

IMG_1492.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: iosgino

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Looks like you scraped it against something. My band has a defect as well right out of the box, but Apple cannot seem to order a replacement band. Annoying considered the price of the watch.

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
@nattK this happened to mine too. I’m not sure whether it’s some kind of crack. The pin surface still feels smooth.

That is most bizarre! Makes me think whether this is a defect with the ceramic pin itself. I no longer think it’s a stain - what are the chances both of us would stain just the pin and not the band. I don’t think they are scratches either since ceramic’s pretty scratch-proof and it still feels smooth. I wonder whether it’s internal cracks or something
[automerge]1593405893[/automerge]
Looks like you scraped it against something. My band has a defect as well right out of the box, but Apple cannot seem to order a replacement band. Annoying considered the price of the watch.

Were you the one who posted on reddit about his nightmare of an experience in trying to get a replacement band?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I recently noticed a black stain on my ceramic pin that doesn't seem to go away with water and soap no matter how I hard I scrub it. Personally I'm a little baffled how the it got stained in the first place. Polished ceramic doesn't seem like something that would stain easily and the rest of the band is miraculously stain-free. The stain and my OCD are driving me nuts.

View attachment 928801

It’s entirely possible it perhaps it arrived that way from the factory, and you never noticed it until you thought maybe with something you caused. That happened with my iPhone 6 with a scratch on the back of the 6000 Series space gray aluminum, which I thought I caused, little did I know, actually it arrived that way from the factory.

chengengaun

Contributor
Feb 7, 2012
@ukms I was responding to @Relentless Power (sorry if that was not clear). It must have happened through abrasion over the past few months. Apparently the pin was not solid ceramic but a ceramic "shell" coating with a stainless steel "core" inside. [Picture available here.] I am not sure if the thickness of the ceramic caused the issue, since the watch case itself has no scratches or marks at all.

Reactions: ukms

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
That is most bizarre! Makes me think whether this is a defect with the ceramic pin itself. I no longer think it’s a stain - what are the chances both of us would stain just the pin and not the band. I don’t think they are scratches either since ceramic’s pretty scratch-proof and it still feels smooth. I wonder whether it’s internal cracks or something
[automerge]1593405893[/automerge]

Were you the one who posted on reddit about his nightmare of an experience in trying to get a replacement band?
It wasn’t me on reddit, but it is a nightmare because Apple can’t order a replacement band. Apparently it is not in their system.

• Sad
Reactions: chengengaun

Pitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Has anyone put ceramic lugs on any of their bands? I was thinking of picking up some of the classic buckles in colors the leather loops don’t come in but I don’t think they work with the ceramic and the silver lugs. I found this old reddit post where someone shows a picture of a third party band with separate ceramic lugs they bought for it but the Amazon listing they bought from is no longer up and I can’t find them anywhere. Looked on Amazon, AliExpress, AliBaba, Google, eBay and Etsy for ceramic adapter, ceramic lug, ceramic connector and turned up nothing. They must not be made anymore. Guess no classic buckles for me unless anyone has a lead!

Nancy&co

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Devon
Have been patiently waiting to hear of any leaks that might suggest whether or not there will be a ceramic version for Series 6 but nothing thus far. It was suggested on this forum that if I wanted to be on the safe side to get a S5 ceramic just before series 6 is launched as there is the 14 day money returns and so I could exchange for S6 if there is a ceramic version. It has been leaked today that for the first time AW6 will be announced via a press release w/c Sept 7th because of the Iphone launch being delayed until Oct. whether or not this turns out to be true remains to be seen but my question is - if Apple discontinues the Ceramic again do they take all remaining stock of the ceramic off the shelves upon the announcement of AW6 OR when they start taking orders for the AW6?

Reactions: Pitch

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
Have been patiently waiting to hear of any leaks that might suggest whether or not there will be a ceramic version for Series 6 but nothing thus far. It was suggested on this forum that if I wanted to be on the safe side to get a S5 ceramic just before series 6 is launched as there is the 14 day money returns and so I could exchange for S6 if there is a ceramic version. It has been leaked today that for the first time AW6 will be announced via a press release w/c Sept 7th because of the Iphone launch being delayed until Oct. whether or not this turns out to be true remains to be seen but my question is - if Apple discontinues the Ceramic again do they take all remaining stock of the ceramic off the shelves upon the announcement of AW6 OR when they start taking orders for the AW6?

When Apple announces the Series 6, the ceramic Series 5 is likely to be removed from the online store as soon as the Series 6 is available for sale or preorder. However, you would still be able to buy one from a brick-and-mortar Apple Store assuming they still have one in stock. You should be aware that standard Apple Stores usually do not carry the Edition watches, only large flagships like Apple Fifth Avenue, Apple Michigan Avenue, Apple Champs-Élysées, etc.

Reactions: Nancy&co

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

There’s never been fruitful leaks with the ceramic Edition watch. As a matter fact, there’s very few hard work leaks with the Apple Watch at all. They have such a tight control over their suppliers (There is only two suppliers) Compared to how large Foxconn and Pegatron is.

I suspect the ceramic edition Apple Watch will be back, probably offered in an additional color. But keep in mind, the ceramic edition Apple Watch is like for 1% of Apple targeted consumers, that’s why there’s no traction for a product like this.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
When Apple announces the Series 6, the ceramic Series 5 is likely to be removed from the online store as soon as the Series 6 is available for sale or preorder. However, you would still be able to buy one from a brick-and-mortar Apple Store assuming they still have one in stock. You should be aware that standard Apple Stores usually do not carry the Edition watches, only large flagships like Apple Fifth Avenue, Apple Michigan Avenue, Apple Champs-Élysées, etc.
You don’t necessarily need to buy it from Apple though of course. They’ll be other retailers with stock and discounts.

Nancy&co

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Devon
You don’t necessarily need to buy it from Apple though of course. They’ll be other retailers with stock and discounts.
Unfortunately this time around the Ceramic version is only available via the Apple online store or one of their flagship stores.
[automerge]1597402374[/automerge]
I could be wrong, but aren't the Edition models only sold through Apple directly? I thought only the Aluminium and perhaps SS were the only models sold through third parties as well.
Correct 🙂

Reactions: Pitch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.