Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
In the meantime, a company called Royole (means Royal) has announced their own folding phone, and has promised delivery this year of its developer model (~$1300).

However, their screen folds outwards, while I think the Samsung folds inward with a separate external display when folded.

http://www.royole.com/

2018-royole-flexpai.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralfi

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Reactions: kdarling

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Looks tiny when folded. Relative to hand size looks about a sub 5".

Boils down if you prefer something like a 6.4" unfolded or a 7.5" that you have to unfold every time. Sort of leaning towards former but maybe I'll change my mind if I see it in person.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Not liking it so far...final prototype better remove those bezels....and I don't like the idea of notches(ABC shapes)/open holes on future samsung phones......glad I will happily keep my fully loaded note 9 for next 2 years why Sammy figures this stuff out.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Not liking it so far...final prototype better remove those bezels....and I don't like the idea of notches(ABC shapes)/open holes on future samsung phones......glad I will happily keep my fully loaded note 9 for next 2 years why Sammy figures this stuff out.
That’s not what it looks like. It was disguised in a case. It’s very thin they said. Thinner than any phone they have made before.

Mars56

Suspended
Apr 26, 2018
So did they finally show a product after hyping foldable screens and their rumors for years now?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
IMO foldable screens in a phone are not needed. It would make them thicker, heavier and more awkward to use. Not to mention potentially more expensive.
That's actually the point. Samsung is losing marketshare, and every year their phones as not selling as well as the previous year. So they need to push up the ASP with bleeding edge tech like this while pushing down with cheaper handsets to make up the volume (Samsung is already having somebody else make phones for them and slap Samsung's label on it, first one is the Galaxy A6s). This seems to be Samsung's new strategy as the mid-range market is getting ultra crowded with the Chinese.

As for buying a Samsung phone, why? In a year or two, we will see one of the Chinese OEMs selling foldable phones for half the price. Don't underestimate the Chinese. Even Huawei has figured out how to minimize the chin on their bezelless phones (without folding OLED like Apple did).

Reactions: ramram55 and MarkX

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
That's actually the point. Samsung is losing marketshare, and every year their phones as not selling as well as the previous year. So they need to push up the ASP with bleeding edge tech like this while pushing down with cheaper handsets to make up the volume (Samsung is already having somebody else make phones for them and slap Samsung's label on it, first one is the Galaxy A6s). This seems to be Samsung's new strategy as the mid-range market is getting ultra crowded with the Chinese.

As for buying a Samsung phone, why? In a year or two, we will see one of the Chinese OEMs selling foldable phones for half the price. Don't underestimate the Chinese. Even Huawei has figured out how to minimize the chin on their bezelless phones (without folding OLED like Apple did).

These Chinese companies are going to have a hard time appeasing the spoiled and OCD mentality of the Western World, when it comes to build quality, software, customer support, and etc. Samsung and Apple have damn near unlimited funds for R&D. Chinese companies might be gaining strength in the mid-priced market in other part of the globe, but not in the flagship/top tier market of the Western World.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
and I don't like the idea of notches(ABC shapes)/open holes on future samsung phones
This seems very stubborn to me. Bezels are dated imo, no matter how small. The proposed O/U/V "notches" on future Samsungs will bring many more benefits to users, the main one being a much smaller form factor.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
This seems very stubborn to me. Bezels are dated imo, no matter how small. The proposed O/U/V "notches" on future Samsungs will bring many more benefits to users, the main one being a much smaller form factor.

Stubborn is you preferring a notch....small top and bottom bezels are just fine........no true benefit for users especially if you have to remove other benefits to provide whatever benefits you are thinking of.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Stubborn is you preferring a notch....small top and bottom bezels are just fine........no true benefit for users especially if you have to remove other benefits to provide whatever benefits you are thinking of.
Would you prefer the current Galaxy design over the 1st & 2nd of the below?
upload_2018-11-8_18-24-43.jpeg

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
These Chinese companies are going to have a hard time appeasing the spoiled and OCD mentality of the Western World, when it comes to build quality, software, customer support, and etc. Samsung and Apple have damn near unlimited funds for R&D. Chinese companies might be gaining strength in the mid-priced market in other part of the globe, but not in the flagship/top tier market of the Western World.
I know. Many of us in the West don’t want a knock off almost as good mid range phone.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
How often do you change phones? I'm sure they will have something to entice you, just wait for the Note10, pretty sure it will have 8GB RAM standard and will probably have some super slim bezels. The Note9 in terms of design is mostly a slightly tweaked Note8, so the Note10 will come in with a refreshing new look that will make the Note8 and Note9 look old, much like the S6 Edge made the S6 look completely dated.

Yeah, seems Samsung will be embracing the notch with the Infinity - U and Infinity - V displays.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
How often do you change phones? I'm sure they will have something to entice you, just wait for the Note10, pretty sure it will have 8GB RAM standard and will probably have some super slim bezels. The Note9 in terms of design is mostly a slightly tweaked Note8, so the Note10 will come in with a refreshing new look that will make the Note8 and Note9 look old, much like the S6 Edge made the S6 look completely dated.

Yeah, seems Samsung will be embracing the notch with the Infinity - U and Infinity - V displays.
That’s not really a notch though is it? Definitely better than Apple’s notch or Google’s.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I see people laughing now, criticizing, saying "it's too thick in folded mode".

In like two years, this is gonna be everywhere in people's hands. Wait and see.
It doesn’t even look like that. It was inside s case to disguise it. They said that it was the thinnest display they had ever made.

Reactions: Delgibbons

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Where's the pre-order button LOL sign me up now

MS has shown what's possible outside of clamshells and now Samsung will diversify the current rut of smartphones format again

Even if they just inspire others we have lost nothing

Does not matter if your Apple or Samsung or any other OEM top end phone sales are down, Apple solution is higher price because many buy less often, many Apple analysist question this but personally I like the diversity offered by others to suit all pockets and is why Samsung are still the largest producer of phones and Android is the dominant OS

Last edited:
Reactions: Shanghaichica

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014

I change phones every year, but Im thinking for the first time in several years to keep my current phone for 2 years. Yeah I complain now but I'm a Sammy fanboy at heart so I will see what happens next year as usual.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Glad to see this is finally becoming a reality. While first iterations will probably suffer from both apps and websites not making ideal use of the tablet mode, eventually we should have better tablet optimization on Android as devices like these become the new norm.

I already like that the folded size is not a 6" phone. Smaller phone is easier to handle then you just fold it out to a bigger one when you need more screen for say videos or maps. Best of both worlds. I'm still sure some Chinese OEMs wil try to peddle a 6" phone that folds out to a 12" tablet.

I want to try it but don't see myself buying a first gen device.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm not sure OS and app wise why so many are concerned :)

Firstly Android has already had the additional functionality of switching between a front screen and a inner or outer alternative Screen added to the OS

Android already has many tablets that use larger screens and multiple window use and it's not like we are doing massive upscaling like IOS from Iphone to IPP, this is a 7.3" screen

Looking at the brief insights we have had of the "F" re running 3 continuous apps these are 1 plus 2x 1/2 windows so no upscaling for many scenarios

Samsung tablets already have most native apps that will run in a full window and this is smaller than the Tab 3/4

The front screen appears slightly smaller than the say the S8/S9 so no issues there

I'm not sure what others are expecting of the new foldable screen. If is does as a minimum what Android tablets and phones do which in terms of multi windows which is already superior to iPhone/IP/IPP the rest is all icing on the cake and we haven't even mentioned possible SPen use :D

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I'm not sure OS and app wise why so many are concerned :)

Firstly Android has already had the additional functionality of switching between a front screen and a inner or outer alternative Screen added to the OS

Android already has many tablets that use larger screens and multiple window use and it's not like we are doing massive upscaling like IOS from Iphone to IPP, this is a 7.3" screen

Looking at the brief insights we have had of the "F" re running 3 continuous apps these are 1 plus 2x 1/2 windows so no upscaling for many scenarios

Samsung tablets already have most native apps that will run in a full window and this is smaller than the Tab 3/4

The front screen appears slightly smaller than the say the S8/S9 so no issues there

I'm not sure what others are expecting if the new foldable screen does as a minimum what Android tablets and phones do which in terms of multi windows which is already superior to iPhone/IP/IPP the rest is all icing on the cake and we haven't even mentioned possible SPen use :D

We know tablet is out of favor and is dying a slow death. The F makes a tablet pocketable so it may change a lot of things including more use cases which are not possible/convenient now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.