Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Pricing is crazy but I still want to try one just to see how well it works. I've often run into issues where a phone screen is just too small and a small tablet would be nicer but I only have a phone and a larger tablet...

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Better first effort than I expected but still too many compromises, especially at that price point. The giant notch in 'tablet mode' is off-putting to my eye and there is too much unused space on the 'phone' side. Also, that square aspect ratio means video content will essentially be as big as it is on my current Max or 3 XL..no benefit there. And considering how terribly Android used existing traditional aspect ratios on tablets, I have little faith that apps will work well on the Fold. The thickness of the device folded and durability of a folding screen are also concerns.

Kudos for a first effort but I think we're still a couple generations away from true viability.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
If the main display was big enough for my liking, I would have paid $2K with no problem. Hopefully 2 gen will have an adequate sized main display. 5.8 inch main display would be perfect, which is the size of the S8 display. Not too big and not too small.

Besides that, I'm impressed!!!

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Brilliant. The Fold is what I was interested in most from this event. Great to see a new form factor enter the market.

They’ve done well to avoid the bendy screen seen on others, to minimise distortion & wear.

The only gripe is the size of the smaller screen & the massive unused area on top/bottom. They may’ve been forced to go that way...will need to watch more videos to see.

Eager for reviews to pop up...& to see how Apple responds to this game...diversifier.

When i saw them unfold it and show full google maps, i finally got my dream device. As someone who has their phone on navigation mode all the time in the car and on a magnetic mount, having this thing unfolded and using google maps is a huge plus for me. I will definitely be giving this a run, not a fan of the small front screen though

That was cool, but if you’ve got Android Auto in your car, then you’ll most likely use that & just tuck the Fold away in folded form.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
to see how Apple responds to this game changer.
I don’t think they respond at all. Why should they? They own the tablet market. No need to canabalize their own iPad sales by releasing a competing hybrid.

Reactions: 09872738

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I don’t think they respond at all. Why should they? They own the tablet market. No need to canabalize their own iPad sales by releasing a competing hybrid.
That’s true. It’ll eat into their iPad market, moreso the Mini, which is why I think they’ll stop producing the Mini in coming years.

But lower end tablets are also at risk of being gobbled up by these foldables, so it’ll be interesting to see manufacturer strategies in coming years.

Reactions: Cryates

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Looks cool, but I'm not keen on the way it looks when folded up. Then again, no first-gen device by anyone looks good. Keep it up, Samsung.

Reactions: 5105973 and Ralfi

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
As of this morning I was pretty convinced I was going to buy this phone.

I was hoping for $1500, but would probably have dropped $2000.

However the deal breaker for me is the 4.3 inch main screen. I'm assuming in my usecase I would primarily be interacting with the front, and then flipping it open a few times per day to enjoy some content, or get some work done. It doesn't seem like using it in tablet mode is appropriate all the time.

4.3 is just too small to live with as my main screen. I have a iPhone see use for the gym, and it is fine for very short periods, but I get very frustrated typing on it.

Reactions: Ralfi

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
However the deal breaker for me is the 4.3 inch main screen. I'm assuming in my usecase I would primarily be interacting with the front, and then flipping it open a few times per day to enjoy some content, or get some work done. It doesn't seem like using it in tablet mode is appropriate all the time.

4.3 is just too small to live with as my main screen.

Yeah the smaller screen (actually 4.6”) will get more use in my day too & going back to sub-iPhone 6S screen size when I’ve jumped to 5.8” recently doesn’t appeal.

Next gen or two will be very interesting though.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
As of this morning I was pretty convinced I was going to buy this phone.

I was hoping for $1500, but would probably have dropped $2000.

4.3 is just too small to live with as my main screen. I have a iPhone see use for the gym, and it is fine for very short periods, but I get very frustrated typing on it.

You have a 7.3 in screen :)
Just fold out for normal use. It would not be much different. Small outer screen is use for basic stuff like phone, music etc

Reminds me of flip phone

Reactions: iSilas and 5105973

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012

How much typing do you need to do in the gym?

If you are going to spend an extended period typing (like 30 seconds or more), how much harder is it to open up the large screen?

If the device isn't for you, then it isn't for you. But I'm having a hard time understanding you rationale. I'm trying to reconcile the time it takes to open and close the device to the time it takes to type out a lengthly e-mail or text.

For me, price puts it out of my reach. But I could certainly see how this would be nice for work. There are plenty of times when I am sitting still without my computer. This could make that time productive time.

My US$0.02 is that Samsung is more interested in selling the technology to this that selling the phone. The phone itself is really a proof of concept. I think Samsung intentionally priced it high to limit the number sold. That way it is easier to control the beta test population.

My guess is that we'll see deals offered on these to targeted groups to encourage them to become beta testers.

Reactions: 5105973

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
What does it do better than a tablet or better than a smart phone? That's the question Samsung has to answer. If it's a worse smart phone and a worse tablet, for $2000 you're better off buying any smartphone and the $330 iPad.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
What does it do better than a tablet or better than a smart phone? That's the question Samsung has to answer. If it's a worse smart phone and a worse tablet, for $2000 you're better off buying any smartphone and the $330 iPad.
They just showed on the presentation on how useful it is to multitask and how easy it is to fold and use it regularly just like a normal smartphone, and this all in one gadgets that fits your pocket, so I don't really understand your point...

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I want the Fold....but will wait to see it and try it out in person before ordering it. I'm sure it will be in some stores when it gets released. But I loved what I saw in the demonstration!

Reactions: 5105973

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
They just showed on the presentation on how useful it is to multitask and how easy it is to fold and use it regularly just like a normal smartphone, and this all in one gadgets that fits your pocket, so I don't really understand your point...
Is the smartphone experience better than the top flagships?

Is the tablet better than the top tablets?

If the answer to both of these is "no", Samsung has a problem at this price point.

Honestly, I'm not sure this is going to be as good at either task, let alone better.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Is the smartphone experience better than the top flagships?

Is the tablet better than the top tablets?

If the answer to both of these is "no", Samsung has a problem at this price point.
How are we supposed to know if it hasn't been released? You can take your own conclusions from watching the presentation, if looks like a phone and a tablet when opened, so the experience is the same as a smartphone or vice versa.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
How are we supposed to know if it hasn't been feleased? You can take your own conclusions from watching the presentation, if looks like a phone and a tablet when opened, so the experience is the same as a smartphone or vice versa.
So for $2,000, you get a tablet the size of the iPad mini and a phone the size of iPhone 6.

I'm not saying it will fail, I'm saying there is a lot to prove here.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
So for $2,000, you get a tablet the size of the iPad mini and a phone the size of iPhone 6.

I'm not saying it will fail, I'm saying there is a lot to prove here.
There's really not much to prove, as I keep saying if you watch the presentation you see the phone is capable of everything and does it better, because it's versatile with a big screen that can be closed.
I agree the price is high but it's something new and unique, it's obvious they would take advantage of it to make profit.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
There's really not much to prove, as I keep saying if you watch the presentation you see the phone is capable of everything and does it better, because it's versatile with a big screen that can be closed.
Again, you're missing the elephant in the room here.

If it's a worse smartphone than a smartphone and a worse tablet than a tablet, why not save $700+ and buy a tablet, which is a better tablet than the Galaxy Fold, and a Galaxy phone, which is a better phone than the Galaxy fold?

You're just completely missing why this is such a tough sell. Samsung would be bankrupt with you in charge.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Price is high because it's an artificial price. The people who'll be buying the device are people who spend thousands in frivolities each month or dare I say week. That said, the thickness when folded up isn't alluring.

As long as Samsung can get the device into a certain group of people's hands and learn from whatever issues come up, these devices will never improve and come down in price.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
More interested in the engineering such as crease/no crease, durability (open/close cycle rating) and if there's a dead touch spot along where it folds.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Yeah, here's the thing: in 2019, this is an unacceptable smartphone experience. The bezels are just huge
galaxy-fold.jpg

This is better, but it's still a little weird for a tablet
galaxy-fold-1.jpg

Samsung needs to justify the compromises of both. Especially at that price point.

Reactions: swarlos

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Again, you're missing the elephant in the room here.

If it's a worse smartphone than a smartphone and a worse tablet than a tablet, why not save $700+ and buy a tablet, which is a better tablet than the Galaxy Fold, and a Galaxy phone, which is a better phone than the Galaxy fold?

You're just completely missing why this is such a tough sell. Samsung would be bankrupt with you in charge.
Because I can take the fold in my pocket and use whatever mode I want?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Because I can take the fold in my pocket and use whatever mode I want?
You're willing to compromise experience on both? Good on you. Samsung has to prove this thing's value to the rest of us who want the best smartphone AND the best tablet without silly compromises.

The $330 iPad is a better tablet than this and the iPhone XR is a better smart phone that this.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
You're willing to compromise experience on both? Good on you. Samsung has to prove this thing's value to the rest of us who want the best smartphone AND the best tablet without silly compromises.

The $330 iPad is a better tablet than this and the iPhone XR is a better smart phone that this.
Sure because you already tried it and followed all of the QC protocols, I'm sure you'd be a good CEO. With your thinking we would still be using Nokia Bricks.

Reactions: iSilas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.