Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Sure because you already tried it and followed all of the QC protocols, I'm sure you'd be a good CEO. With your thinking we would still be using Nokia Bricks.
Compromises are obvious to literally everyone here but you. Sounds like a you problem.

I have eyes. I see the compromises. What's your deal, exactly?

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
You're willing to compromise experience on both? Good on you. Samsung has to prove this thing's value to the rest of us who want the best smartphone AND the best tablet without silly compromises.

The $330 iPad is a better tablet than this and the iPhone XR is a better smart phone that this.

You are missing the point :p

It is pocketable smartphone (not tablet) that has a 7.3 inch screen . The big screen enables your phone to do more easier. Tablet is just a complementary device to the phone. You only get a tablet just because you need a bigger screen to consume media/video or easier document editing or games since the current phablet screen size is still not that ideal. Nobody would bother to buy a tablet if the smartphone screen is big enough for those activities.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well the problem is that for some buyers who view this through the eyes of a tech enthusiast excited about the promise in this concept and jazzed by seeing it finally brought to market, @1050792 has a more appealing point, but for others, @AustinIllini drags pragmatism into the equation. They both have good points.

When I first laid eyes on this thing today the part of me who will always be the little Star Trek fanatic felt I just had to have it and damn the cost. It took a while to calm down and think straight.

When I did settle down, the part of me who is a more practical adult who made life comfortable on a frugal budget for decades realized that the S10+ was going to serve me a lot better for a lot less money.

Jeez, with my trade in and pre-order incentives I am getting a very capable phone AND excellent case and $123 ear buds for $487.58 and that includes taxes.:D I already own three iPads of varying size and ages that work fine.

What I lose is the convenience of a phone and tablet all in one, especially a hybrid that works as well as that one appears to with multi tasking. However the convenience factor is sadly mitigated by the very obvious first generation look of the whole device. The S10+ is at this point very refined. The Fold is just getting started. I can see how it still looks in need of a bit more advancement before I would feel less wary of that price tag.

I can't wait for the intensive reviews! This is going to be fun!

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
S10+ is at this point very refined. The Fold is just getting started.

That’s it. One is the best it’s ever been & the other is the ‘worst’ it’ll be.

But ‘worst’ makes it sound bad, which it isn’t, because it’s got the DNA of a market leader. I think the Fold will mature much quicker than the Galaxy (& traditional smartphones in general), becoming an option for many sooner than later.

Reactions: 5105973

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
I mean, I watched the keynote and I understand the 7.3 inch screen open and you can view maps in desktop mode view but the issue I'm having is what's the specific use for the fold? what apps are gonna utilize the fold or what android apps are worth the fold at that screen size? I'm not knocking it, looks cool but this can easily be the iPad pro-2018 with all the looks and speed and blah, blah but the software doesn't really keep up with the actual use of the hardware.

As of right now IMO you can get a ipad and s10+ and save 500 bucks IMO.... best of both words and spend a few bucks on a celluar plan for the tablet but as of right now I don't really know the purpose of it.

The note 9 multitasking is pretty good.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Interesting product and application but feels it is still a few years away from where it needs to be. It is not a foldable flexi phone but a flip phone with a clever hinge which I applaud. It is quite bulky. It is what they did not say that jumps out. Firstly, not sure about battery life if using it using it in tablet mode. They didn’t mention how long it would last or need to charge. Secondly, why is the front screen so small with massive head and chin when they were later boasting about an all screen phone later on with other products? This makes you need to open it out most of the time to use it which is inconvenient. Thirdly, the fact that it is not due for orders until April and they did not let anyone test it out says there is a lot of bugs. Fourthly, app support was mentioned but again did not really show it off that well. Given the poor support for android apps in tablets I would not hold much breathe in how this will look in the real world. Fifth, the notch is really ugly and the screen aspect ratios are weird. Finally, camera experience will vary with use and they did not show what it is like to use it in different modes which kinda suggests it may not be that good an experience.

Will look forward to seeing reviews when it is released.

Reactions: tbayrgs and 5105973

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Well the problem is that for some buyers who view this through the eyes of a tech enthusiast excited about the promise in this concept and jazzed by seeing it finally brought to market, @1050792 has a more appealing point, but for others, @AustinIllini drags pragmatism into the equation. They both have good points.

When I first laid eyes on this thing today the part of me who will always be the little Star Trek fanatic felt I just had to have it and damn the cost. It took a while to calm down and think straight.

When I did settle down, the part of me who is a more practical adult who made life comfortable on a frugal budget for decades realized that the S10+ was going to serve me a lot better for a lot less money.

Jeez, with my trade in and pre-order incentives I am getting a very capable phone AND excellent case and $123 ear buds for $487.58 and that includes taxes.:D I already own three iPads of varying size and ages that work fine.

What I lose is the convenience of a phone and tablet all in one, especially a hybrid that works as well as that one appears to with multi tasking. However the convenience factor is sadly mitigated by the very obvious first generation look of the whole device. The S10+ is at this point very refined. The Fold is just getting started. I can see how it still looks in need of a bit more advancement before I would feel less wary of that price tag.

I can't wait for the intensive reviews! This is going to be fun!
It's certainly something that looks like coming from a sci-fi movie. I can't wait to lay my hands on it also. :D

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am very excited about the Fold! Can't wait to get my hands on one and see it for myself.
I am sure there will be little things it probably won't do well. But you can say that about any phone or tablet.
But it will combine a tablet and phone together with a killer camera.
Samsung has to nail the overall user experience imho. But from what I saw they are trying to do just that.
But final judgement will be when I can get my hands on one :D

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Yeah, here's the thing: in 2019, this is an unacceptable smartphone experience. The bezels are just huge
galaxy-fold.jpg

This is better, but it's still a little weird for a tablet
galaxy-fold-1.jpg

Samsung needs to justify the compromises of both. Especially at that price point.

Thank you finally someone who gets it! I can’t believe all the passes being given to this POS device just because it’s Samsung all because it’s innovative. I get that point but sheesh in this state it still isn’t ready for prime time.

I mean the freaking front looks ugly as hell those bezels plus they’re not even asymmetrical haha the left bezel is bigger than the right. Don’t even get me started on that giant notch on the “tablet” portion nobody is even talking about that!! Just annoys me that Samsung is able to get away with soooo much but Apple sneezes and it makes front pages in the news.

Last edited:

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
I see people laughing now, criticizing, saying "it's too thick in folded mode".

In like two years, this is gonna be everywhere in people's hands. Wait and see.

I highly doubt that. This is probably the biggest gimmick the smartphone industry has come up with yet.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I highly doubt that. This is probably the biggest gimmick the smartphone industry has come up with yet.
Disagree with you....
This is a first gen product that has a very high upswing. It can evolve into so many things if they can nail the user experience.

Then you know Apple is rumored to have a folding phone in the next 2 years as well......
Wonder if you will be just as critical of that effort......

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Disagree with you....
This is a first gen product that has a very high upswing. It can evolve into so many things if they can nail the user experience.

Then you know Apple is rumored to have a folding phone in the next 2 years as well......
Wonder if you will be just as critical of that effort......

Just like phablets and OLED were gimmicks, and now iPhone's have it too.

c45467183840ece44abb595e8c0966b0.jpg

So I like how nobody is talking about this ad. This chick in an official Samsung ad is using a foldable phone which looks a million times better than what we actually got. This is false advertising. If Apple did this I wouldn’t buy it either but Samsung loves to release products before they’re remotely ready for production. They didn’t even mention anything about the Galaxy Home yesterday which we still have no info on regarding release date or price.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

So I like how nobody is talking about this ad. This chick in an official Samsung ad is using a foldable phone which looks a million times better than what we actually got. This is false advertising. If Apple did this I wouldn’t buy it either but Samsung loves to release products before they’re remotely ready for production. They didn’t even mention anything about the Galaxy Home yesterday which we still have no info on regarding release date or price.
We get it now....you don't like the Fold....great for you.
You want to say something negative....we get it by what you are posting in both of the Samsung threads you are active in.....
We get it.....

Reactions: Mendota and Oohara

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016

This is an AD about what Samsung wants to bring to the future. You're trolling hard and trying to find arguments to your biased opinions, but sorry that won't work around here.

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
This is an AD about what Samsung wants to bring to the future. You're trolling hard and trying to find arguments to your biased opinions, but sorry that won't work around here.

Oh I forgot that I’m on Macrumors where Samsung gets a pass on everything but  gets criticized on everything.

The rest of the ad shows everything Samsung can already do. I like the S10 I don’t have a problem with those they look really nice but this Fold is a joke but I can’t have an opinion around here.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Oh I forgot that I’m on Macrumors where Samsung gets a pass on everything but  gets criticized on everything.

The rest of the ad shows everything Samsung can already do. I like the S10 I don’t have a problem with those they look really nice but this Fold is a joke but I can’t have an opinion around here.
Apple gets criticized when they need to get criticized because they haven't been doing anything worth the money for the past 6 years. Samsung doesn't get a pass, they actual innovate and show great products, the Fold is at the first stage, the first iPhone was nothing like how it is today, same for the first Note. Things evolve and become better.
You don't like the Fold? Good for you. Have a nice day.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
When i saw them unfold it and show full google maps, i finally got my dream device. As someone who has their phone on navigation mode all the time in the car and on a magnetic mount, having this thing unfolded and using google maps is a huge plus for me. I will definitely be giving this a run, not a fan of the small front screen though
Yep, I am also not a fan of the small front display.

I think the Galaxy Fold 2 or Fold 3 will bring a front display much like what we have now at 6-6.39inch.

They need to work out how to make the hinge smaller and the font display thinner.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Thank you finally someone who gets it! I can’t believe all the passes being given to this POS device just because it’s Samsung all because it’s innovative. I get that point but sheesh in this state it still isn’t ready for prime time.

I mean the freaking front looks ugly as hell those bezels plus they’re not even asymmetrical haha the left bezel is bigger than the right. Don’t even get me started on that giant notch on the “tablet” portion nobody is even talking about that!! Just annoys me that Samsung is able to get away with soooo much but Apple sneezes and it makes front pages in the news.

It’s obvious it’s a gen 1 product. I will say though again it seems Samsung did it again, making fun of the notch on the iPhone then putting a big, uncentered one on this Fold. And it looks like there’s a nice gap when closed due to the hinge.

Gen 2- should be better. Price is seemingly high though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.