Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'm not sure OS and app wise why so many are concerned :)

Firstly Android has already had the additional functionality of switching between a front screen and a inner or outer alternative Screen added to the OS

Android already has many tablets that use larger screens and multiple window use and it's not like we are doing massive upscaling like IOS from Iphone to IPP, this is a 7.3" screen

Looking at the brief insights we have had of the "F" re running 3 continuous apps these are 1 plus 2x 1/2 windows so no upscaling for many scenarios

Samsung tablets already have most native apps that will run in a full window and this is smaller than the Tab 3/4

The front screen appears slightly smaller than the say the S8/S9 so no issues there

I'm not sure what others are expecting of the new foldable screen. If is does as a minimum what Android tablets and phones do which in terms of multi windows which is already superior to iPhone/IP/IPP the rest is all icing on the cake and we haven't even mentioned possible SPen use :D
They already showed some forward thinking with regards to apps and the OS. Continuity, whatever your looking at on the small screen opens when it’s ubfolded, running 3 apps simultaneously and partnering with google to develop the is for foldable displays.

So they have given a lot of thought as to how this thing will actually work rather than just making something because they can like that Chinese company.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
They already showed some forward thinking with regards to apps and the OS. Continuity, whatever your looking at on the small screen opens when it’s ubfolded, running 3 apps simultaneously and partnering with google to develop the is for foldable displays.

So they have given a lot of thought as to how this thing will actually work rather than just making something because they can like that Chinese company.
I agree and that was my point :)

I'm sure they have more than just what an Android tablet can do :) but as a minimum it would not be a bad start and the rest is icing :)

Being simplistic:

If you hinged two Note 9's together, chucked out one CPU, antenna sim tray, jack etc, rolled the batteries a bit thinner due to extra space etc and added another smaller screen on the back

You would have a front screen that's going to run for 2 or 3 days and a larger inner folding screen that behaves like a tablet for a day or maybe two with combined use with an overall thickness several mm less

Job done LOL

Reactions: jamezr

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
IMO foldable screens in a phone are not needed. It would make them thicker, heavier and more awkward to use. Not to mention potentially more expensive.
I can only see this breaking if it creates a viable tablet, not just a "phablet". It's neat tech but a non-starter for me.

Mars56

Suspended
Apr 26, 2018
So it's still Samsung hyping themselves as they've done - with the help of some poor, guillible souls - for years now?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Who's tuning into the livestream at 11am PST? I normally don't watch the Samsung ones (for good reason) but today's gonna be a doozy!!

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Yes I’ll be watching. I wonder if we will also get to see the foldable phone today.
Based on the leaks I think we might. I've been waiting for around four years to see the dang thing! That'd be really cool if some press got hands on time with it. I think after the lukewarm sales of 2018's flagships Samsung knows they have ti pull out all the stops. This'll get picked up by the media much more than a typical S announcement.
[doublepost=1550689509][/doublepost]Live stream:
[doublepost=1550689871][/doublepost]They should have hired Jordan Belfort to deliver the keynote :D

Reactions: 5105973

maj71303

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Maryland
$1,980 made me almost swallow my tongue. Imma say not just No, but Helllllll Noooooo to a price like that.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wow at $2,000! Even the crowd was like, woahhhh. Lol. But I respect Samsung for pushing this out on April 26th.

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
kinda cool but not worth it. i think the screen looks ugly when it's folded up

i like phones the way they are now.

Reactions: Aneres11

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Normally I would be the first to balk at a price like this…
But considering when unfolded it’s essentially an iPad mini…

I think a lot more people than we think we’ll see the value here in combining two devices into one, both in terms of functionality, and the money they would allocate towards individual devices in the past.

Super kudos to Samsung for pushing the envelope here.

Apple has been stagnant as hell lately…
They do little more than spec bump and raise the prices for very marginal gains of late.

What Apple needs most is other big/key players moving the goal posts.

I am a very big Apple fan and I know what they need the most is some competition on the innovation front.

Reactions: rhinosrcool

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
This is being priced at the same level that an iPhone XS and 12.9" iPad Pro together could be purchased for. Crazy. Cool as hell, but crazy.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Stunning device. Bravo for innovation in design and technology.

Battery life will make or break this device. A tablet and phone in one is great but seeing how battery in my iPad depletes when I have watch netflix on my commute, I would have high battery anxiety owning this device.

Needless to say I can't wait to play with it.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I'm excited to see all the negative takes about the Fold around here in the days ahead...

...so we can compare those same people reacting when Apple does something similar but does it first** and best**

lol
Haha! You know how it goes around here

Anyway, I wish they added an SPen on this beast, would have made a lot of sense with all that screen real estate

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
When i saw them unfold it and show full google maps, i finally got my dream device. As someone who has their phone on navigation mode all the time in the car and on a magnetic mount, having this thing unfolded and using google maps is a huge plus for me. I will definitely be giving this a run, not a fan of the small front screen though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.