Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Have you guys read a lot of her stuff? She's always kind of had that "I am reviewing this like your best friend or family might", rather than trying to be real technical. She often keeps it very light, uses props/jokes and tries to keep it at a fairly basic level. If you read her MacBook keyboard review, you might understand what I am referring to.
Well we all have likes and dislikes......we each have our own opinions. Personally I tend to stay away from that kind of sensationalism for any kind of review of a new product. To me it is just ckickbait to get views....
I agree with you and others that the Fold was not ready to be released. But also feel she was unprofessional.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
It is not on Samsung if a reviewer takes it upon them self to to be an arse.

After stunts like that she is looking for clickbait....not respectability...that is what she is missing.....

Look at Forbes...very informative site. Lots of good information there....except for the reviews of Gordon Kelly......who tends like clickbait journalism over anything real...such as this article....

Apple's Ugly New iPhone Is A Crazy Design Decision
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...e-date-iphone-xs-max-xr-upgrade/#2568d62c606c

That is one example of a respectable site that has a dumb reviewer....

Samsung hand picked each arse, so to speak, it’s on them.

Clickbait, respectability, she did her job. If there wasn’t anything wrong with the phone and Samsung didnt cancel the launch, I would say you have a point. But they did, and they had ifixit take down the tear down, so there is that, which in itself gives her perspective credibility.
Once again that’s on Samsung, not the wsj or any reviewers.

You can’t compare Forbes to WSJ or the financial times. It’s not comparable.

I prefer accurate journalism, Kelly isn’t very accurate when it comes to facts, he was the one that started the rumor that Samsung was going to cancel the s8 after the galaxy note 7 explosive launch and subsequent recall. He was also the one that kept claiming iPhone X had terrible sales. His reporting often turns out to be inaccurate. Can’t say the same for Joanna stern, the WSJ or the financial times.

He has been trolling apple for a long time. No surprises there, here is one of his classics.
http://gordonkelly.com/reviewed/apple-iphone-3gs/

Here is one of his gems about the galaxy fold:
Samsung's Galaxy Fold Has A Screen Folding Problem
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...price-release-date-upgrade-galaxy-s10-note10/

If the site was respectable, they wouldn’t publish Kelly.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Samsung hand picked each arse, so to speak, it’s on them.

Clickbait, respectability, she did her job. If there wasn’t anything wrong with the phone and Samsung didnt cancel the launch, I would say you have a point. But they did, and they had ifixit take down the tear down, so there is that, which in itself gives her perspective credibility.
Once again that’s on Samsung, not the wsj or any reviewers.

You can’t compare Forbes to WSJ or the financial times. It’s not comparable.

I prefer accurate journalism, Kelly isn’t very accurate when it comes to facts, he was the one that started the rumor that Samsung was going to cancel the s8 after the galaxy note 7 explosive launch and subsequent recall. He was also the one that kept claiming iPhone X had terrible sales. His reporting often turns out to be inaccurate. Can’t say the same for Joanna stern, the WSJ or the financial times.

He has been trolling apple for a long time. No surprises there, here is one of his classics.
http://gordonkelly.com/reviewed/apple-iphone-3gs/

Here is one of his gems about the galaxy fold:
Samsung's Galaxy Fold Has A Screen Folding Problem
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...price-release-date-upgrade-galaxy-s10-note10/

If the site was respectable, they wouldn’t publish Kelly.
Nothing about the review from Joanna Stern was accurate or respectable...it was clickbait sensationalist journalism.
It was along the same lines as Gordon Kelly and his "Nasty Surprise" headlines for his articles.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Nothing about the review from Joanna Stern was accurate or respectable...it was clickbait sensationalist journalism.
It was along the same lines as Gordon Kelly and his "Nasty Surprise" headlines for his articles.

The fact that she didn’t review a defective product was both accurate and respectable.

The fact that Samsung has delayed the launch and asked to have ifixit remove the rear down, gave her review/lack of review merit.

She told her readers not to buy the device because it wasn’t ready and for that reason she wouldn’t review the device, Samsung then proceeded to delay the launch. She did her job, Samsung didn’t do theirs.

Agreed.

I'm a tech enthusiast... so I watched nearly all the Youtube tech review videos of the Galaxy Fold. Lew, Marques, etc.

But is Joanna and the Wall Street Journal the only "normal" news publication that received the Galaxy Fold? Of course she's gonna make her review geared towards a non-tech audience. That's her beat.

And when there is a product that is clearly NOT ready for release... she's gonna have fun with the situation.

I bet if the Galaxy Fold didn't have a bunch of problems... and it was scheduled for release as promised... her opinion would have been different.

But that didn't happen. Her piece couldn't be a review.

So instead she made lemonade out of lemons. I like Joanna's style.

It's funny how people are slamming her for being "unprofessional"

Well... the Galaxy Fold wasn't ready and had to be recalled literally days before launch... :p

Shouldn't we be slamming Samsung for believing this product was ready to go out to thousands of paying customers?

It didn't even survive 20 reviewers.

That’s pretty much the situation in a nutshell.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The fact that she didn’t review a defective product was both accurate and respectable.

The fact that Samsung has delayed the launch and asked to have ifixit remove the rear down, gave her review/lack of review merit.

She told her readers not to buy the device because it wasn’t ready and for that reason she wouldn’t review the device, Samsung then proceeded to delay the launch. She did her job, Samsung didn’t do theirs.
The fact that she used that photo as a prop showed what her intent was....not to be factual. But to attract as many viewers using sensationalistic journalism.
No one here is disputing the Fold failed and wasn't ready for release. No one.....
The hotdog photo was poor taste and her being sensationalistic and using it as clickbait.

Then if you like her when she lauds Samsung like that.....

Do you still like her when she does the same to Apple?

The third generation of the butterfly keyboard on Apple's Mac laptops was supposed to fix all the problems. But nope. WSJ's Joanna Stern explains why the keyboards on the newest and most expensive MacBooks keep breaking—and the few things you can do about it.

blob:https://www.wsj.com/ba7f3c58-7668-4b83-bc2e-8bf27b7d1bff

Last edited:
Reactions: Zito Abroad

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
The fact that she used that photo as a prop showed what her intent was....not to be factual. But to attract as many viewers using sensationalistic journalism.
No one here is disputing the Fold failed and wasn't ready for release. No one.....
The hotdog photo was poor taste and her being sensationalistic and using it as clickbait.

Not sure what all the fuss is with this particular reviewer other than poor reporting

Too most she a nobody maybe in the US she has a limited following but hardly influential giving her daming report on the now ridiculous 3rd gen apple butterfly KB made little or no impact and these are users/owners who have shelled out good money

Let's move on too someone who gives value to those that read or view their articles

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Well we all have likes and dislikes......we each have our own opinions. Personally I tend to stay away from that kind of sensationalism for any kind of review of a new product. To me it is just ckickbait to get views....
I agree with you and others that the Fold was not ready to be released. But also feel she was unprofessional.
I agree, everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions. Joanna has stayed true to herself for years now, I think all of her content is like this. It may be getting a wider exposure lately due to the Macbook keyboard article, and now this Galaxy Fold review. I find her refreshing in a sea of click-bait YouTubers, and the very detailed work that some tech sites provide. It's nice to have variety.
[doublepost=1556631147][/doublepost]

That, or it was just having fun with a bad situation. She is a pretty light hearted person making a joke.

Last edited:

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

Perhaps, but she did come out and plainly state her intent. She openly admitted that it wasn’t a review and she wouldn’t be able to review it until the product was ready.

Once Samsung issued the recall and ifixit took down the tear down, it gave her lack of review more substance and validation.

You might not agree with her but that is integrity right there. That’s quite a contrast from most of the other reviewers giving the fold a handicap or a pass and reviewing the unit as though nothing was wrong with it, glossing over negatives without going into too much detail. Then Samsung cancels the launch. I think it pissed off some of those YouTube reviewers that defended the fold, to be honest.

Yup and because of her article and others like it, apple is offering a 1 day repair program.
https://www.cultofmac.com/621214/apple-macbook-keyboard-repairs-next-day/

I bought a 2018 MacBook Pro, no issues with the keyboard so far, but if something pops up, it’s good to know it will only take a day to repair. I have no qualms regarding apple support.

The alternate keyboard view was hilarious and similar in spirit to her having the galaxy fold used as a hot dog receptacle.

Doesn’t that article prove she is not biased or an apple sheep?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well, I saw a lot of opinions here I don’t agree with, but at least they were intelligently expressed and I could comprehend them without caffeine in my system, so I’m happy.

So, what’s the latest news on the Fold? Is it dead as in dead, dead dead, not coming back at all? I’ve been busy with school fund raising stuff and haven’t gotten a chance to dig for the latest news. Last I heard, they were going to release it at an indefinite time in the future. Is that still true or did I miss more bad news?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Well, I saw a lot of opinions here I don’t agree with, but at least they were intelligently expressed and I could comprehend them without caffeine in my system, so I’m happy.

So, what’s the latest news on the Fold? Is it dead as in dead, dead dead, not coming back at all? I’ve been busy with school fund raising stuff and haven’t gotten a chance to dig for the latest news. Last I heard, they were going to release it at an indefinite time in the future. Is that still true or did I miss more bad news?
As far as I know it is getting a redesign, so the Fold we will see in store will be slightly different from the early versions the reviewers initially had.

To what extent the redesign will be, who really knows. Hopefully we see something in the next few weeks.

Reactions: jamezr and 5105973

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
And another example of how to come across as a credible tech reviewer.

By telling people they’re wrong? :D

Look, people who do/don’t desire the Fold, are both correct. But there are so many online who are unable to express that opinion in a non-confronting/condescending/immature manner. Ignore them all, & stick to those who can put some words together in a respectful manner. :)

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Samsung delays Galaxy Fold indefinitely
The Samsung Galaxy Fold was ready for a star-studded launch, but issues discovered in early review units caused Samsung to recall them and postpone the launch. The company was supposed to announce a new release date after evaluating the issues, but now the launch of its first foldable phone has been delayed indefinitely.

Samsung sent out emails to those who pre-ordered the Galaxy Fold, saying that it’s “making progress” and will release updated shipping info “in the coming weeks”.

The pre-orders will be automatically canceled by the end of the month, unless buyers explicitly request otherwise or the company manages to ship the Galaxy Fold before then (which sounds unlikely).

If you’ve pre-ordered, you can cancel at any time before the phone ships. Samsung will only charge your account once it ships the $1,980 phone, so it doesn’t cost you anything to keep your place in line. But you might want to cancel anyway and wait until first reviews confirm that the durability issues have been resolved.
https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_delays_galaxy_fold_indefinitely-news-36927.php

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Wow so I guess that's it, so anti climatic. Hopefully they work stuff out by the next release. Even if the Fold worked perfectly and had no screen issues it was really hampered by poor design decisions. The tiny front screen stands out as a poor design decision, along with the huge notch. Hopefully with something like Huawei's model Samsung will feel some pressure into making better decisions.

So for the moment nothing for us in NA unless Huawei decides to sell over here.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Wow so I guess that's it, so anti climatic. Hopefully they work stuff out by the next release. Even if the Fold worked perfectly and had no screen issues it was really hampered by poor design decisions. The tiny front screen stands out as a poor design decision, along with the huge notch. Hopefully with something like Huawei's model Samsung will feel some pressure into making better decisions.

So for the moment nothing for us in NA unless Huawei decides to sell over here.
I think pressure from Huawei is what already had Samsung trying to get the Fold out as early as possible in the first place, and it came back to bite them.

I'm sure there's a lot of pressure at the top in both companies to beat the other to the punch on a lot of areas, but Samsung knew that they had an advantage in the USA as Huawei is banned there, hence Samsung took this advantage and gave the devices to mostly US tech influencers, as they do have heavier influence on tech globally, but it ultimately backfired when the biggest guys like MKBHD had failures.

Smart strategy, would have worked well if the devices had not failed.

Reactions: spinedoc77

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I think pressure from Huawei is what already had Samsung trying to get the Fold out as early as possible in the first place, and it came back to bite them.

I'm sure there's a lot of pressure at the top in both companies to beat the other to the punch on a lot of areas, but Samsung knew that they had an advantage in the USA as Huawei is banned there, hence Samsung took this advantage and gave the devices to mostly US tech influencers, as they do have heavier influence on tech globally, but it ultimately backfired when the biggest guys like MKBHD had failures.

Smart strategy, would have worked well if the devices had not failed.

I think your overstating the influence of English speaking reviewers :)

There are far more non native English speakers who are owners out there

Approximately only 20% of the world speaks English and only 350m are native English speakers out of 7.5b

Given no user actually received a unit it remains just idle speculation just how many real potential buyers view this negatively and are put off buying, opposed to armchair critics who were never in the running :rolleyes:

Reactions: jamezr

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
I think your overstating the influence of English speaking reviewers :)

There are far more non native English speakers who are owners out there

Approximately only 20% of the world speaks English and only 350m are native English speakers out of 7.5b

Given no user actually received a unit it remains just idle speculation just how many real potential buyers view this negatively and are put off buying, opposed to armchair critics who were never in the running :rolleyes:
We're there non-English speaking influencers who got the Galaxy Fold?

I believe MKBHD is one of the biggest tech reviewers by subscriber base on YouTube, but I if I am wrong please do correct me on who the biggest ones are.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Lets try and stay on point :)

You said this

I simply suggested you are over stating the influence these English only speaking tech reviewers have globally

I believe MKBHD is one of the biggest tech reviewers by subscriber base on YouTube, but I if I am wrong please do correct me on who the biggest ones are.

This is just a distraction to the point I raised however this does not detract that they are well known in their part of the sphere and are well received but influence globally is questionable even with translated re-quotes

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Lets try and stay on point :)

You said this

I simply suggested you are over stating the influence these English only speaking tech reviewers have globally

This is just a distraction to the point I raised however this does not detract that they are well known in their part of the sphere and are well received but influence globally is questionable even with translated re-quotes
Lol, I am pretty sure Samsung globally have insights on how far the influencers they use reach, hence they chose the particular ones that got the devices.

I am not overstating anything. They knew who best to give the devices to, to get the greatest reach globally.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Lol, I am pretty sure Samsung globally have insights on how far the influencers they use reach, hence they chose the particular ones that got the devices.

I am not overstating anything. They knew who best to give the devices to, to get the greatest reach globally.
Of course this is what Samsung do but not as you note with US/English speaking reviewers to penetrate in to markets where English is hardly spoken and certainly not via YouTubers when it comes to China market. These influencers cannot penetrate and have an influence due to language and simple statistics show they are in the minority.

Samsung pick the correct ones for each demographic which includes languages among other things however popular MKBHD maybe in the US etc he's likely to be unknown elsewhere and the same goes for other ones in reverse like Technical Guruji who has 50% more subscribers the MKBHD using your metric

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Of course this is what Samsung do but not as you note with US/English speaking reviewers to penetrate in to markets where English is hardly spoken and certainly not via YouTubers when it comes to China market. These influencers cannot penetrate and have an influence due to language and simple statistics show they are in the minority.

Samsung pick the correct ones for each demographic which includes languages among other things however popular MKBHD maybe in the US etc he's likely to be unknown elsewhere and the same goes for other ones in reverse like Technical Guruji who has 50% more subscribers the MKBHD using your metric

Like I asked:

And as I said

I feel like you are looking for something that is not there.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Not really just a simply observation that you now made complicated, enough said :rolleyes:
Nothing complicated, Samsung chose relevant influencers that could drive reach and awareness, they happened to be mostly US based, knowing how influential they are, as I originally said.

Nothing more nothing less.

Not quite sure what you were looking for but I hope you found it.

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.