Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
If this gets released right around the Note10, I might actually get the fold. I'm willing to pay up to 2Gs on a completely new form factor. Either way, for me, it's the Note10 Pro or the Fold. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung makes a few changes for the re-release. Maybe a larger screen for the outer display, or even a larger device all together. Maybe even an upgraded camera? Who knows, but I'm definitely more interested now, than before. I think it might be because I feel the re-release no longer feels like a first gen device now.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
If this gets released right around the Note10, I might actually get the fold. I'm willing to pay up to 2Gs on a completely new form factor. Either way, for me, it's the Note10 Pro or the Fold. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung makes a few changes for the re-release. Maybe a larger screen for the outer display, or even a larger device all together. Maybe even an upgraded camera? Who knows, but I'm definitely more interested now, than before. I think it might be because I feel the re-release no longer feels like a first gen device now.
I don't care :) just release the dam thing and I will buy it :D

Reactions: Zito Abroad

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Just came here to post a similar article...
http://www.theinvestor.co.kr/view.php?ud=20190619000593

“Most of the display problems have been ironed out, and the Galaxy Fold is ready to hit the market,” said Samsung Display Vice President Kim Seong-cheol in his speech at a conference held by industry organization The Korean Information Display Society on June 18 in Seoul.

Hope so.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I look forward to the posts here from you brave souls who get it. I’d like to, but there are enough extra expenses we undertook this summer, so I’m going to have to be conservative and prioritize an iPhone purchase and then see where I can go beyond that. Probably not gonna go out for something this expensive and experimental. Which is a shame. This is a smart phone hobbyist’s dream, to try a whole new paradigm. But...kids...they’re expensive. :p

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I look forward to the posts here from you brave souls who get it. I’d like to, but there are enough extra expenses we undertook this summer, so I’m going to have to be conservative and prioritize an iPhone purchase and then see where I can go beyond that. Probably not gonna go out for something this expensive and experimental. Which is a shame. This is a smart phone hobbyist’s dream, to try a whole new paradigm. But...kids...they’re expensive. :p
Ya same here, my wallet is telling me to be conservative too... :p I miiiiight go nuts and get the Note 10 but it's looking more likely that I just stay on my trusty 7 Plus (will replace the battery tho) and get a iPad Pro with Pencil for my scribbling and media consumption needs. Will sell my 6T to help with the expenses.

That said, more power to anyone who has the dollahs and wants to have a bit of fun with the Fold. Looking forward to reading about their adventures :cool:
[doublepost=1564074268][/doublepost]
I am not getting one at this point but....

Now taking bets... :D

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Hands on impressions of the revised Fold!

Dave says what should be common knowledge among all us tech fans - we should want the Fold to succeed, big time.

These foldables are becoming more attractive to me, especially if Apple decides to shrink my ideal size phone (5.8”) down to 5.4”....If Foldables become refined to a point where my 5.4” can turn into a mini tablet, then it covers all bases - one-handed device when folded & very large screen unfolded.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Agreed
Hands on impressions of the revised Fold!

Dave says what should be common knowledge among all us tech fans - we should want the Fold to succeed, big time.

These foldables are becoming more attractive to me, especially if Apple decides to shrink my ideal size phone (5.8”) down to 5.4”....If Foldables become refined to a point where my 5.4” can turn into a mini tablet, then it covers all bases - one-handed device when folded & very large screen unfolded.
Agreed! That's why I didn't understand the hate, well I do, it's a Samsung Product. Anytime a company comes out with some new technology I find interesting, I hope it succeeds because the sooner it will be available with the stuff I like. Without other companies coming out with new tech, other than for macs, you wouldn't be buying anything else from Apple.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Another of the revised Fold...

Interesting to see how these ones hold up over the next month or so.
Agreed.

For whatever reason, this time around I really started seeing how great this concept would be if they really got it together. I mean not just because it's 2nd gen so obviously it'll be more polished and one step closer to realisation, but something just kind of clicked as I watched the video. I posted a while back saying meh, I'll rather take a great phone + a great tablet as two separate devices. But now I kind of just started seeing it.

If in a few years they've made it half as thick in phone mode and really nailed the design, especially in phone mode, then...man will this be an awesome device. Oh yeah, of course it has to not break after a week too but I'll just blatantly assume at some point that just won't happen anymore.

Reactions: 5105973

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I would have jumped on this if the main display wasn't so small.
That really highlights how difficult a device this was to pull off.

You can see they were trying to go for each extreme - a one handed device when folded & two handed when unfolded, but the single hinge meant the device was always going to be tall/thin, resulting in a strange looking screen on the front (with its huge bezels).

If they decided to fill the bezels with screen, it’d be pretty impractical, with a crazy aspect ratio & work against their ‘one-handed’ aim of that screen.

It’s a balancing act with these foldables. Having two hinges will help in maintaining practical aspect ratios for both screens, but then it complicates the whole device...

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
It’s a balancing act with these foldables. Having two hinges will help in maintaining practical aspect ratios for both screens, but then it complicates the whole device...

Likely a tri-fold device would be much thicker, much like a tri-fold wallet vs a duo fold. I am not sure people would be happy with that either. But I guess at this time it is almost more a proof of concept than the ultimate goal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.