Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm not sure why so many always come from a one handed perspective of any screen. There are many 2 handed users especially those with preferences of cases with flip covers etc

Whilst obviously the unfolded tablet like format suits 2 handed use the outer smaller screen IMO is the best notification dedicated screen available that can be used one or 2 handed use for short replies and/or actions. Its up to the owner to decide at what point they decide when to open the fold to continue actions etc

The smaller single outer screen can be as complicated or as simple as you wish and adapting to this format and not dragging it backwards with habits of other devices just hinders development

I would of liked 2 screens on the front with a small top screen with scrolling AOD info and the current larger screen more shifted to the lower section for interaction

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I would of liked 2 screens on the front with a small top screen with scrolling AOD info and the current larger screen more shifted to the lower section for interaction

I was also thinking of this earlier - move the main screen lower & fill the rest with either another screen, or the option to split the screen as you described.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I would have jumped on this if the main display wasn't so small.

My feelings exactly.

Was watching MKBHDs redo, and thinking to myself, how awesome this is, it looks like Samsung have taken care of all the issues, but that stupid front screen and that huge notch in the inside screen .

Exciting times nonetheless, who is getting it!?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I will purchase the Fold 2 if they can get the price way down, up the screen to 8” unfolded (like the Mate X), and offer a proper screen size when folded.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I will purchase the Fold 2 if they can get the price way down, up the screen to 8” unfolded (like the Mate X), and offer a proper screen size when folded.
I would buy an iPhone 11 Pro Max top spec if it was $600 LOL

We can all have a wish list but given that the fold gen 1 is give or take $100 the same as a maxed out iPhone when comparing what's in the box and you still want more, I doubt your wish will come true :)

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010

We can all have a wish list but given that the fold gen 1 is give or take $100 the same as a maxed out iPhone when comparing what's in the box and you still want more, I doubt your wish will come true :)
My bet is that you will easily be able to buy a folding phone from a reputable brand for $1500 next year, and have a wide selection in the $1000 range in 2021.

Things move insanely fast in the Android space.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
My bet is that you will easily be able to buy a folding phone from a reputable brand for $1500 next year, and have a wide selection in the $1000 range in 2021.

Things move insanely fast in the Android space.
Probably if you pare back whats in the box and memory the Gen 1 Fold would be close to $1500 now but that's not how it's being marketed currently :)

It would appear by some reports it is its unique wow factor at a price above the rest is part of the appeal

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

I expect a Galaxy Fold 2 at a much lower starting price next year. Probably $1,500.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I don't care if it is Samsung or another brand but there will be a foldable phone sold for less than €1000 euro next year. Probably Xiaomi or another Chinese brand. And if so I'm going to get it.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I expect a Galaxy Fold 2 at a much lower starting price next year. Probably $1,500.
As I noted before its approximately $1500 now but it comes bundled with extras and services unique to the fold that bumps the boxed price.

Sure if Samsung decide to market as not an elite device there is no reason that a base model would not be available at a lessor price, but I suspect this would distract from its status position

Reactions: jsn76

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Yes watched that last night, had to turn volume down when he was scraping the sides
As soon as I saw his hand with dirt & stones I grimaced.

I’m still trying to work out how the grit got into the hinge. I’m thinking the finer pieces snuck in under the front bezel, where the screen tucks under?

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
As soon as I saw his had with dirt & stones I grimaced.

I’m still trying to work out how the grit got into the hinge. I’m thinking the finer pieces snuck in under the front bezel, where the screen tucks under?
I think that's where the T plugs are I more suspect selective editing left it vague :)

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I think I would get the Fold if it cost say $1500. Would use it for a year on Next and then get the sequel which I think will be much better. My eyes would really prefer that larger screen.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
After watching Zach's teardown on JRE, I've concluded you must have a spare $2000 that you were getting ready to burn if you think buying the Fold is a good idea.

And to be clear, I don't begrudge Samsung for taking this swing at a foldable handheld device. Companies willing to put in the money and effort to try and innovate are what pushes technology forward. But the Fold isn't anywhere close to being an everyday usable primary smart device. The crunching sound every time he folded and in folded the device after just placing some dirt and dust on top of the screen made my skin crawl, like nails on a chalkboard. :oops:?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralfi

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
This is a pretty good unboxing.

As a package, it’s impressive - wireless buds, fast charger, carbon fibre case. If only it was more durable & had a better front screen.

& since no one’s linked it yet, here’s Flossy’s unboxing...

Reactions: co.ag.2005

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I absolutely would buy a Galaxy Fold if it cost say $1000 - $1200. At $2000 I think you are crazy to purchase. (Unless you are rich or work pays for your phone.)

I believe without a doubt that folding phones are the next wave in the smartphone area. They will only get better over time and Apple will offer their own version in two years time.

Exorbitant price aside, the first-gen of the Fold is pretty flawed. That outer screen is too small. 7.3" is a weird size. (8" is better, and is rumored for the Fold 2 and already found on the Mate X.) It's also super thick folded which I imagine is not fun to carry in a front pocket. (The Mate X is much thinner folded.)

With all that said, these folding phones make every other phone on the market look dated and boring IMO.

justlexi

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
I don't think that this smartphone will be durable enough in the long run. I won't invest my money into this type of gadget I will rather get myself the Nokia 2720.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Nobody in their right mind should buy this, even if they have 2k to burn. Samsungs wording in the in-box instructions and their offer to replace the 1st broken screen for cheap shows that they know how fragile this thing is. If you buy this, you're essentially paying them 2k to be an alpha tester for a prototype. Im sure they'll have a legitimately great folding device within 2 years but this isnt it.

Reactions: jamezr

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
While I agree the frailty of the screen is some concern the fact is many buy expensive goods that are also frail (eg shoes or coats that can't be worn in the rain etc) or too a lessor degree even Apple's own Stainless Steel watch strap cant be used for swimming etc

It is something we do not associate with a smartphone normally but others will accept especially to be more exclusive

If it's a compromise your not willing to accept that's fine, but many do with many products for various reasons that others fine unacceptable or price prohibitive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.