Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I didnt mean to come off too harsh on you or anything but 99% of all anti-virus, anti-malware, cleaner, permissions apps, etc. are ********. They're either placebo effect nonsense that just clears some caches and temp files or worse, they are malware from unreliable companies.

The best way to not have app secretly accessing your camera is to not give camera permission to sketchy apps...or better yet, dont install sketchy apps on your phone. Its just like the people that have all these anti-virus and cleaners on their PC when in reality, Windows Security and common sense are more than enough to keep you clean.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
I didnt mean to come off too harsh on you or anything but 99% of all anti-virus, anti-malware, cleaner, permissions apps, etc. are ********. They're either placebo effect nonsense that just clears some caches and temp files or worse, they are malware from unreliable companies.

The best way to not have app secretly accessing your camera is to not give camera permission to sketchy apps...or better yet, dont install sketchy apps on your phone. Its just like the people that have all these anti-virus and cleaners on their PC when in reality, Windows Security and common sense are more than enough to keep you clean.

Harsh? What harsh? No man relax take it easy its called fun discussion. The problem is people talk about things (am not saying you) without even trying them first.
Never follow what others think or say without experiencing things yourself. Without testing , using and experiencing any product you would not have a clue whats it is about. So here we go...

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
Why i bought this app ?
-It prevents accidental camera touches.
- it prevents unauthorised use including trusted nasty apps
- it identifies which apps have permission to your camera and alert you of any suspicious activity.

Every penny i spent on this is well worth it.

Screenshot_2019-11-27_213111.jpg

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Haha i had the last laugh hahaha ;)??

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...dreds-of-millions’-of-users-affected.2212338/
[automerge]1574850426[/automerge]
https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveyw...s-of-millions-of-users-affected/#1f44ff364f4e

Thank you Tzepz people laughed when i told them about the camera blocker
No, you didn’t and your app doesn’t change anything here. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what you’re reading.

The security flaw has to do with the permission system in the OS. Your app would not have helped. Oh and btw, the company that make that app, that you’re giving full permissions to, is Slovakian based. Do you know anything about them? Are they reputable?

You paid $7 for an app that lets you know what apps have camera permissions. Android by default in the settings has a screen that shows you all the apps that have camera permissions. You got charged money for an app that shows you the android camera permissions screen with a lock by it to make you feel secure. If that’s what you need in your life then that’s fine, but I wouldn’t gloat about it.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
you didn’t and your app doesn’t change anything here. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what you’re reading.

Vice versa. Its simple, the apps we downloading are misusing permission granted and fiddling around with the camera recording and uploading pics and videos.

The security flaw has to do with the permission system in the OS. Your app would not have helped

Thats the whole point of the apps existence, it prevents all apps with permission from using the camera.

Oh and btw, the company that make that app, that you’re giving full permissions to, is Slovakian based.

So? Are you saying Slovakians are crims? I don't need to know them, its Google's job to figure out if the company legit or not. At least they have excellent reviews, oh by the way Slovakia is not a notorious nation, it use to be part of Czech republic which is a very civilized Western nation.

You paid $7 for an app that lets you know what apps have camera permissions. Android by default in the settings has a screen that shows you all the apps that have camera permissions. You got charged money for an app that shows you the android camera permissions screen with a lock by it to make you feel secure.

Problem is you are talking about something you didn't even try, so you are not in position to comment about something you did't experience, sorry!

Last edited:

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Vice versa. Its simple, the apps we downloading are misusing permission granted and fiddling around with the camera recording and uploading pics and videos.

Thats the whole point of the apps existence, it prevents all apps with permission from using the camera.

So? Are you saying Slovakians are crims? I don't need to know them, its Google's job to figure out if they are legit or not. At least they have excellent reviews, oh by the way Slovakia is not a notorious nation, it use to be part of Czech republic which is a very civilized Western nation.

Problem is you are talking about something you didn't even try, so you are not in position to comment about something you did't experience, sorry!

First, its the apps you are using that is misusing permissions, not everyone. Common sense goes a long way. Don't download shady apps from shady devs and you wont have to worry about it.

Second, what I highlighted is that this app of your, from reading what it does, just lets you know when an app is using your camera app. Its basically just adding a notification to the camera permissions settings screen. It doesnt regulate anything with permissions, and if it does, congrats you have just given admin permissions to a random app from a random, unknown company/dev.

Third, I'm not saying Slovakia is full of criminals. I'm saying this is an app outside of the US, from a unknown developer, outside of an area where they could be charged with anything if found to be doing something wrong.

Fourth, your argument of "you haven't tried it so you don't know if its good or bad" is a dumb argument. I haven't tried lighting myself on fire and running around but I can tell you that it would suck.

Look, I'm not saying this app is malicious. I'm saying its placebo and fools gold. If you don't download shady apps, its completely useless. Anyone who needs an app that makes sure shady apps arent secretly accessing their camera needs to look at the real issue...why are you downloading shady apps? Anti-virus is completely unnecessary on mobile devices. Anyone with knowledge of mobile OSes will tell you the same thing.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
First, its the apps you are using that is misusing permissions, not everyone. Common sense goes a long way. Don't download shady apps from shady devs and you wont have to worry about it.

Second, what I highlighted is that this app of your, from reading what it does, just lets you know when an app is using your camera app. Its basically just adding a notification to the camera permissions settings screen. It doesnt regulate anything with permissions, and if it does, congrats you have just given admin permissions to a random app from a random, unknown company/dev.

Third, I'm not saying Slovakia is full of criminals. I'm saying this is an app outside of the US, from a unknown developer, outside of an area where they could be charged with anything if found to be doing something wrong.

Fourth, your argument of "you haven't tried it so you don't know if its good or bad" is a dumb argument. I haven't tried lighting myself on fire and running around but I can tell you that it would suck.

Look, I'm not saying this app is malicious. I'm saying its placebo and fools gold. If you don't download shady apps, its completely useless. Anyone who needs an app that makes sure shady apps arent secretly accessing their camera needs to look at the real issue...why are you downloading shady apps? Anti-virus is completely unnecessary on mobile devices. Anyone with knowledge of mobile OSes will tell you the same thing.
Just sayin, Slovakia is member of EU, would say quite civilised part of the world with quite strong law enforcement... just sayin;)

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019

You wasted time writing 6 pointless & repeated paragraphs . Anyway lets leave it here, am not going to educate you everything in one week ???

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
You wasted time writing 6 pointless & repeated paragraphs . Anyway lets leave it here, am not going to educate you everything in one week ???
Yeah, the guy that uses several anti-virus apps on his mobile device is educating me. Good one. You're right, this is pointless. Can't help those that dont want to be helped.

Btw, I heard Norton 365 is having a sale on their mobile app. You should probably buy the yearly subscription, just to be safe.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
Yeah, the guy that uses several anti-virus apps on his mobile device is educating me

That would make sense if you said that 15-20 years ago when we had Nokia 61xx or Sony Ericsson k800....

Now days smart phones operate almost the same way like pc's so for me its very important specially on Android devices.

In fact, we need to shield and protect our phones more than our pcs because we are glued to them 24/7 with a very sensitive data, pics, videos and other personal documents.

https://insights.samsung.com/2018/08/09/your-phone-is-now-more-powerful-than-your-pc/

Last edited:

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
Again, make your very own tests and analysis on any app independently rather than follow the flow.
There are hundreds excellent honest and reliable apps just like there are trash and malicious one's. Your job is to test them and make your own decision without relying on "Peter" or "Charlie" from some article.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Just want to say that a few months later I am still Loving my note 10+. Still think it is the best phone on the market.

Don't see anything challenging it for my heart in the near future besides the s11+.

Even then I don't think I am planning on upgrading unless the new camera is a total game changer

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I just wish there was no pwm, would buy note instantly.. hoping s11 will be pwm free:) sick of ios

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Yep agreed. Other than cameras, this phone is amazing. Not saying the cameras are bad, but they’ve fallen behind Apple and were already behind Pixel.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Samsung uk reduced note 10 + 5g model by £200

Samsung giving £200 for any old iPhone. My friend just bought a 5s for £60 and traded it in for the £200 off.

Added to the £200 reduction for Black Friday already and that seems a very good deal

£759 from original £1099 advertised for note 10+ 5g model

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Good deal today as you can get up to $500 Samsung credit with a Note 10. Basically you could get the Buds and Watch Active for free.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
So, a couple months ago I wrote about how I tried a note 10 for a weekend and switched back to iPhone 11. Well I have to confess, I decided to pick up a Note 10 again. And this time I'm gonna keep it.
It's funny how many people are switching from the iPhone 11 to something else considering it's such a great phone. It's just boring I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.