Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Yep still DJ with a MacBook pro, still have 3 Apple TV's, and iPad pro. Love them all. Added a Chromecast ultra to the living room to supplement the missing airplay function on Android.
I do have 1 macbook12, atv 4k and 2 iphones 7 - maybe will sell everything - macbook12 is the most frustrating pc i have ever had (bad buying decission), iphones - will migrate me and wife to android, atv - i will see... my approx 11 years run with apple (first intel mac mini was my 1st apple product) probably ends in 2020...

Reactions: jamezr

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I'm having a tough time deciding between waiting for the s11 plus or getting a Note 10 plus now (great deals) and then trading it in for the Note 11 plus later this year. Im worried if I get the s11 plus I'll be tempted to get another new phone towards the end of 2019 when the Pixel, iPhone, Note all come out. I'm trying to limit myself to 1 phone a year.

Reactions: yui4 and jamezr

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Personally I like note devices, I’d get a note 10+ on a good deal and then chop it in against the note 11+ next year. Samsung normally do really good trade in deals.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Personally I like note devices, I’d get a note 10+ on a good deal and then chop it in against the note 11+ next year. Samsung normally do really good trade in deals.

I was considering it. But thinking it makes more sense financially to buy a used version of whatever phones gets me the best trade In for the S11 plus. There’s a good chance a used s10 will get a preorder trade in value of $550 or so. I can get one used for less than that.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Wait.

U WOT M8, A FLAT SCREEN NOTE AGAIN????? o_O

How had not heard about this yet?? Damn it, I’m going to have to follow the Note 10 Lite rumors like a bloodhound.

And this goes right to what I was saying in another thread just yesterday - I’m absolutely astonished that no one seems to be making a difference between curved and flat screens anymore. Literally not a single one of all the articles I've read about the Note 10 Lite mention the fact that the leaked renders clearly show a flat screen! I mean...a flat screen Note is HUGE!!

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note10_lite_battery_size_new_renders-amp-40446.php

As for the rest of it, if the rumors are true, it's a puzzling release by Samsung. At $900 it's not much cheaper than the regular Note 10+ so why bother with a "Lite" version at that price point? It sounds more like a Note 10 "Slightly Less Premium". It's even supposed to have a bigger battery than the Note 10+..... What gives??

Anyway, being the no. 1 sworn enemy of curved screens, I am of course very interested. Since the "Lite" thing doesn't quite make sense, and neither does the release date coming so close to the S11 release - could this be a test run for gauging the customer preference for flat screens...?

Let's see. If this turns out to be real, my little iPhone 11 Pro might just get a big brother in a few months. My wallet wouldn't take it well though.

But man, I probably wouldn't be able to resist. BIG FLAT OLED + SPEN YEAH BABEHHHHHHH!!

Come on Sammy you know it, those curved screens need to be burned on the stake and that's all there's to it.

EDIT ok looking further at those renders, did I speak too soon? Are those screens actually slightly curved? If so I've gotta ask my GF to hide our razors :oops:
Lovely phones with lovely spec but what a way to kill the resale value of S10 and Note ten before the S11 has even been launched.
?

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Wait.

U WOT M8, A FLAT SCREEN NOTE AGAIN????? o_O

How had not heard about this yet?? Damn it, I’m going to have to follow the Note 10 Lite rumors like a bloodhound.

View attachment 881580

And this goes right to what I was saying in another thread just yesterday - I’m absolutely astonished that no one seems to be making a difference between curved and flat screens anymore. Literally not a single one of all the articles I've read about the Note 10 Lite mention the fact that the leaked renders clearly show a flat screen! I mean...a flat screen Note is HUGE!!

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note10_lite_battery_size_new_renders-amp-40446.php

As for the rest of it, if the rumors are true, it's a puzzling release by Samsung. At $900 it's not much cheaper than the regular Note 10+ so why bother with a "Lite" version at that price point? It sounds more like a Note 10 "Slightly Less Premium". It's even supposed to have a bigger battery than the Note 10+..... What gives??

Anyway, being the no. 1 sworn enemy of curved screens, I am of course very interested. Since the "Lite" thing doesn't quite make sense, and neither does the release date coming so close to the S11 release - could this be a test run for gauging the customer preference for flat screens...?

Let's see. If this turns out to be real, my little iPhone 11 Pro might just get a big brother in a few months. My wallet wouldn't take it well though.

But man, I probably wouldn't be able to resist. BIG FLAT OLED + SPEN YEAH BABEHHHHHHH!!

Come on Sammy you know it, those curved screens need to be burned on the stake and that's all there's to it.

EDIT ok looking further at those renders, did I speak too soon? Are those screens actually slightly curved? If so I've gotta ask my GF to hide our razors :oops:
They’re the best looking (symmetrically) & most practical Samsung devices I’ve seen. Will they finally ditch their form over function mantra? Let’s see...

Reactions: Oohara and kazmac

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Does anyone have any idea why all of a sudden the Google app would be using lots of battery? Even restricted and then disabled it and it's still using a decent amount.

Still on Android 9.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I'm actually kind of intrigued by the S10 lite. I like that it's a large flat screen (no curves) and has the Snapdragon 855. I'll see what the S20+ brings in February but may consider this if the new galaxies underwhelm or are too high on the price.

Reactions: Oohara

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'm actually kind of intrigued by the S10 lite. I like that it's a large flat screen (no curves) and has the Snapdragon 855. I'll see what the S20+ brings in February but may consider this if the new galaxies underwhelm or are too high on the price.
The Macro lens sounds quite interesting on the S10 lite.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Write up on the new lite phones by the Verge.

It's definitely a weird release in many ways. Apart from the timing, it seems odd to me that they chose different processors with the Note getting the slower one, and that they get different camera setups with the S10 Lite getting a macro lens instead of the Note's telephoto lens.

Together with the sudden move to flat screens, it makes me wonder if this truly is a test run of sorts. Like, maybe they want to collect metrics on popularity of the telephoto vs the macro lenses, as well as of course how well received the flat screens will be. Maybe they're not sure about where to take the Note series in the future...

In that case, I'll be on my knees praying that people love that sexy, pristine, content and productivity friendly flat screen. So far at least Android Authority seems to appreciate it: "...the welcome return of flat screens are appreciated...".

Oh here's another little weird thing:

Samsung’s latest phones also share a similar 6.7-inch FHD+ OLED screen (2,400 x 1,080), although the S10 Lite packs a Super AMOLED Plus display compared to the Galaxy Note 10 Lite’s standard Super AMOLED panel.

Anyone know what the 'Plus' stands for? Higher refresh rate? Both displays seem to have the same PPI and color range, and they both have HDR.

[automerge]1578328252[/automerge]
I had a look at it but it only had 6GB of ram, doesn’t support wireless charging and isn’t IP certified.
"Only" 6 GB of ram? Oh the day and age we live in :D Actually to me we don't live in the day and age quite yet where 6 GB is too little but that's just me :p

Anyway, what I came to post is that according to Engadget, you get to choose between 6 or 8 GB of RAM for both phones.

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Samsung’s line-up is extremely confusing now. Besides their $100 budget phones, they should only offer the S line and Note line. S Lite? Note Lite? What?
Yeah they've always been all over the place but now they're really at peak 'WTF'. I'm still guessing this is a test run for certain features or something, I just can't come up with any other reasonable explanation.

Reactions: drinkingtea

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Yeah they've always been all over the place but now they're really at peak 'WTF'. I'm still guessing this is a test run for certain features or something, I just can't come up with any other reasonable explanation.
Apple will be doing the same thing with their line-up this year. It makes no sense. It just confuses consumers. Just give me two phones to choose between.

Reactions: sunking101

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
It's definitely a weird release in many ways. Apart from the timing, it seems odd to me that they chose different processors with the Note getting the slower one, and that they get different camera setups with the S10 Lite getting a macro lens instead of the Note's telephoto lens.

Together with the sudden move to flat screens, it makes me wonder if this truly is a test run of sorts. Like, maybe they want to collect metrics on popularity of the telephoto vs the macro lenses, as well as of course how well received the flat screens will be. Maybe they're not sure about where to take the Note series in the future...

In that case, I'll be on my knees praying that people love that sexy, pristine, content and productivity friendly flat screen. So far at least Android Authority seems to appreciate it: "...the welcome return of flat screens are appreciated...".

Oh here's another little weird thing:

Anyone know what the 'Plus' stands for? Higher refresh rate? Both displays seem to have the same PPI and color range, and they both have HDR.

[automerge]1578328252[/automerge]

"Only" 6 GB of ram? Oh the day and age we live in :D Actually to me we don't live in the day and age quite yet where 6 GB is too little but that's just me :p

Anyway, what I came to post is that according to Engadget, you get to choose between 6 or 8 GB of RAM for both phones.

I am pleased with the flat screen on my Galaxy S10e and like the total package. My first Android experience after putting my iPhone SE aside and no complaints at all.

Reactions: Oohara

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Samsung’s line-up is extremely confusing now. Besides their $100 budget phones, they should only offer the S line and Note line. S Lite? Note Lite? What?

And to add to the confusion, you have the A90 5G. The S10 Lite and A90 5G seem to be very similar in specs (both hardware AND software, which is unusual for an A-series phone). As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the A90 comes with 5G. Everything else (including cameras) seems to be identical, unless I’m missing something.
[automerge]1578353841[/automerge]
Anyone else with an unlocked Australian Note 10+ (4G)? I not only have not received my January update, but I haven’t even gotten my December update. I’ve been on the November update since the day it came out on my phone (11/11).
Screenshot_20200107-103510_Settings.jpg

Last edited:

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Received the January security update this morning on my unlocked model. 3 months in a row my Note 10 got updated before my Pixel 4, have to give Samsung credit for the improvement so far, hope they can keep it up.
Received the January security update on my unlocked S10e this morning. Impressed so far.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

jsn76

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
And to add to the confusion, you have the A90 5G. The S10 Lite and A90 5G seem to be very similar in specs (both hardware AND software, which is unusual for an A-series phone). As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the A90 comes with 5G. Everything else (including cameras) seems to be identical, unless I’m missing something.
[automerge]1578353841[/automerge]
Anyone else with an unlocked Australian Note 10+ (4G)? I not only have not received my January update, but I haven’t even gotten my December update. I’ve been on the November update since the day it came out on my phone (11/11). View attachment 887080

Yep, Australian Note 10+ here. Still on the November Update also.

Reactions: AnonMac50

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Yep, Australian Note 10+ here. Still on the November Update also.
So it's not just me, what's going on with the updates here? I know some of the carriers are already testing and/or pushing out Android 10 to their Galaxies here, so what's going on with the normal security updates on the unlocked models?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.