Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
My husband has trouble with lag from time to time. I did but found it was caused by one app (Pokémon go) messing with the camera app. You do need to be able to troubleshoot from time to time. The annoyance factor between iOS these days and Samsung Android is about the same. My husband and I have recently had some nasty freezing on iOS 11.

Thank you for the reply!

Others opinions?

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
1) My camera still has this blur problem where you have to shake it into life, really frustrating

2) My screen has MASSIVE burn-in problems, never had this before!! I use Google Maps everyday driving and that's the culprit.

Really frustrating. Any advice?

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
1) My camera still has this blur problem where you have to shake it into life, really frustrating

2) My screen has MASSIVE burn-in problems, never had this before!! I use Google Maps everyday driving and that's the culprit.

Really frustrating. Any advice?

How long have you had the phone for? I'd be tempted to take the phone back if it had burn in so soon.

Nancy bout

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2013
Not yet lol that's the reason I jumped thunk iOS
Worse case I'll sell and jump to iOS in Dec next program paid off lol

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
How long have you had the phone for? I'd be tempted to take the phone back if it had burn in so soon.

Got it around May time, but it was on eBay.

I know Samsung have a warranty but I've heard horror stories of how long it takes.

Downloaded an app for "fixing" burn-in but it is only a temporary fix.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Update: Samsung told me to take it to my local walk-in warranty centre (I didn't know it existed, only 5 miles away!).

But I think we know how this is going to end - not well. It's probably a sign from the universe to start preparing for a Pixel XL 2 :D

Reactions: Nancy bout

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
Hi,

I'm thinking to change to the S8 from my arcaic iPhone 6. But I have a question:

Can you say that the S8 is lag or shutter free?

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Hi,

I'm thinking to change to the S8 from my arcaic iPhone 6. But I have a question:

Can you say that the S8 is lag or shutter free?

No, I don't think it is lag-free - but that's because there are so many amazing and useful features that simply weigh it down a bit.

I'm fine with a little bit of lag if it makes my life easier overall.

The camera is super fast, no lag there.

Reactions: Nancy bout

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I got rid of my OnePlus 5 and a local carrier had a deal of the S8+, so I ordered it for 599€, i.e. 200€ off. I’ve been considering also the iPhone 8 Plus, but with that discount the S8+ was 510€ less than the 256GB iP8+ and the cameras are really close. I hope it won’t take too long to ship.

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
I'm just pointing out that it does consume more battery life. I remember even on my S7 Edge that when I kept Adguard Pro off, my battery life almost doubled.

Well for me it doesn't consume more battery. Like I said no issues at all.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I got rid of my OnePlus 5 and a local carrier had a deal of the S8+, so I ordered it for 599€, i.e. 200€ off. I’ve been considering also the iPhone 8 Plus, but with that discount the S8+ was 510€ less than the 256GB iP8+ and the cameras are really close. I hope it won’t take too long to ship.

How much did you get the s8 + for?

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Update: Samsung told me to take it to my local walk-in warranty centre (I didn't know it existed, only 5 miles away!).

But I think we know how this is going to end - not well. It's probably a sign from the universe to start preparing for a Pixel XL 2 :D

Sounds like a good plan. End of the day, when you buy second hand you never know how badly the previous owner used it or what it was used for. My experience with the Nexus 6P in the 18 months I owned it I never saw any but I I'm so the previous owner must have really hammered the display, keeping it on 24/7.

Reactions: unclejamaal

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Sounds like a good plan. End of the day, when you buy second hand you never know how badly the previous owner used it or what it was used for. My experience with the Nexus 6P in the 18 months I owned it I never saw any but I I'm so the previous owner must have really hammered the display, keeping it on 24/7.

Oh no, this S8 was actually 100% new on eBay. An unwanted upgrade.

The irony is my S7 Edge? I got that from eBay for a bargain as it had a minute crack in the screen - that thing was perfect, zero problems and I've kept it within the family. Still going strong, never had any burn-in or any other trouble!!

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
Got it around May time, but it was on eBay.

I know Samsung have a warranty but I've heard horror stories of how long it takes.

Downloaded an app for "fixing" burn-in but it is only a temporary fix.

That sucks. I’ve seen a few screens that have the burns.
I was looking forward to the s8+ or the Note 8, but don’t want my screen burned after 6 months.

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
Hi folks.
Does anyone use the S8/S8 Plus without a screen protector? Which curved glass protector would people recommend, that is case friendly?
[doublepost=1507819927][/doublepost]

Thats why I opted for a brand new S8 Plus this time earlier this week - I usually buy used phones , but thought at that price point its worth going for a brand new S8 Plus - I didnt fancy paying a lot more for a Pixel XL 2, which doesnt have wireless charging (they'll probably add it in Pixel 3 !), and at the moment a headphone jack is important to me, although most phones I guess this time next year will be without one.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I use mine completely naked. No screen protector. And I ain't ever going back!

I do have an nice pouch from Etsy that I put my S8 into if I have to throw it into a bag or anything.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
I've got a Spigen case (which has saved my phone more than once), but no screen protector and I put the phone in the same trouser pocket as my keys at least once a day

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
next question: looks like Smartswitch doesnt work in IOS11 :(. Shame, cos when it works, it works flawlessly. The only workaround I can see is on IPhone sync contacts to Gmail, and then sync them back to your android phone when you set up your samsung! Anyone have a better way, especially for SMS, and whatsapp (which I guess is not possible cross platform)

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Nice, my S8+ has finally shipped. Now if only Samsung would also hurry up with delivering BlueBorne fix also to NEE phones. I can’t take the phone into full active use before I can have Bluetooth enabled.

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
My S8+ is just downloading apps etc from a previous android setup I have, so not as smooth as a Smartswitch, but better than nothing. Anyway, battery seems to be being drained away! was 100% only 50 mins ago, down to 90% now. Ive only made one call on it while its downloading.

Is there a way to quickly optimise this, or is this draining away because this is still on first charge?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.