Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi folks.
Does anyone use the S8/S8 Plus without a screen protector? Which curved glass protector would people recommend, that is case friendly?
[doublepost=1507819927][/doublepost]

Thats why I opted for a brand new S8 Plus this time earlier this week - I usually buy used phones , but thought at that price point its worth going for a brand new S8 Plus - I didnt fancy paying a lot more for a Pixel XL 2, which doesnt have wireless charging (they'll probably add it in Pixel 3 !), and at the moment a headphone jack is important to me, although most phones I guess this time next year will be without one.

On a good side I'm lucky that I'm located outside of the US because I get the Exynos CPU. One thing I did do is under power settings I removed all the applications that try to bypass the Android power manager which has improved my battery life substantially and I haven't noticed any issues other than a few delayed notifications but they weren't critical. End of the day it is up to the application vendors to do their job and make their applications run efficiently. Probably the thing I like is the microsd slot - bought a 256GB one, put all 209GB of my music library on the phone and I won't have to worry about copying music across unless I get a new album.

Regarding a case, I got a wallet like case from the Spark store which does a good job protecting the screen.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Interestingly I met a friend this weekend for first time in 6 months. She's been on iOS for 8 years and was always going to stay on it.

She turned up yesterday with an S8 and absolutely raved about it, she loves it! She was very pleasantly surprised. Now she wants a Samsung smartwatch.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Interestingly I met a friend this weekend for first time in 6 months. She's been on iOS for 8 years and was always going to stay on it.

She turned up yesterday with an S8 and absolutely raved about it, she loves it! She was very pleasantly surprised. Now she wants a Samsung smartwatch.
You cant deny the design and the screen of the S8. I tried one out for 2 weeks and the display hits you right in the face.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008

The Gear S3 is a great watch. I like it much more than the Apple Watch, after having the Apple Watch for 2 years and wearing it daily.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
How is the battery life on it with Always on watch face enabled?

It greatly depends on what you are doing. Given its LTE, if you do a lot of that it impacts the battery.

Today, I topped it off last night before I went to bed... wore it to bed and all morning and I'm at 68% at noon time. I wear it 24x7 so I get sleep tracking and if I don't top it off it usually has about 25% left at bed time, but I'll usually throw it on the charger at some point during the day when I'm just sitting at my desk. I'm still adjusting to not charging it while I sleep like I did with AW.

The answer to your question is that AOD doesn't impact battery that much... its what you are doing with other apps. I'm still learning the balance.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I have to say after 6 months my S8 has not experienced any slowdown that Samsungs were notorious for a few years back. This thing has just been a great phone.

Same here. It's been stellar. It edges out the Pixel 2 that I'm currently experimenting with by a hair or two.

Reactions: DakotaGuy

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The s8 is a gem. If the fp was in the screen, the camera was a bit better and the battery a bit bigger, it would be perfect for me. It's just such a nice device to look at and play with.

I'm not confident we'll see the FPS under the screen until the Note 9. But hey, I don't mind being surprised. As long as they've sorted out the rumored kinks.

I'm not confident if Samsung will even change it from the current FPS location. They might just reuse this design language for one more go, with added dual cameras.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm not confident we'll see the FPS under the screen until the Note 9. But hey, I don't mind being surprised. As long as they've sorted out the rumored kinks.

I'm not confident if Samsung will even change it from the current FPS location. They might just reuse this design language for one more go, with added dual cameras.
I wonder why they would leave the FPS in the same location though. I'm sure they have gotten enough feedback saying people don't like it there.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I wonder why they would leave the FPS in the same location though. I'm sure they have gotten enough feedback saying people don't like it there.

It’s obvious the only reason it’s there is because there was room inside the phone in that location. A round sensor centered a little lower like LG and others do is how a rear fingerprint sensor should be done. I think they had plans for an in screen solution early on in the development of the S8 and Note 8. When it didn’t happen instead of redesigning the insides to put it in a more optimal location they just stuck it up by the camera where there was a little extra room.

With that said, I’m used to it now and use it along with the iris scanner depending on the situation. With a case on the phone it’s easy to locate without smudging the camera. There are times I want to unlock it without looking at it like when I’m pulling it from my pocket.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
I have to say after 6 months my S8 has not experienced any slowdown that Samsungs were notorious for a few years back. This thing has just been a great phone.
Just wondering how much space of internal storage do you have left, because I’m noticing lag just not as often as my old Samsung phones. I used about 50gb of the 64 available and I noticed lag in keyboard/texting and in some apps.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
anyone to give some suggestion to get a s8+ screen protector? Mine is too ugly.
I haven't tried one but the Whitestone dome glass look like the better screen protector for curved screens.
Downside is price and the application is a bit fiddly.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Just wondering how much space of internal storage do you have left, because I’m noticing lag just not as often as my old Samsung phones. I used about 50gb of the 64 available and I noticed lag in keyboard/texting and in some apps.

I’ve used 42 GB out of 64 GB of internal storage. All of the pictures and video I take go on the 32 GB card I have installed.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
The s8 is a gem. If the fp was in the screen, the camera was a bit better and the battery a bit bigger, it would be perfect for me. It's just such a nice device to look at and play with.
What is wrong with the camera? I havent used one so I dont know but I would figure it should be one of the top cameras you can get in a phone. I had a Galaxy S7 Edge and that was an already amazing camera, the 8 should be even better

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
What is wrong with the camera? I havent used one so I dont know but I would figure it should be one of the top cameras you can get in a phone. I had a Galaxy S7 Edge and that was an already amazing camera, the 8 should be even better

The camera Is great. But it can only be better.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
I'd be shocked if the S9 had the fingerprint sensor in the same crappy spot.

I hope not, I think it hurt the resale value. I'm trying to trade and people keep on telling me they have a 6s they'll trade for my s8.

Samsung screwed up with the placement, hurt the resale value alot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.