Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I have to say I like the S8+ camera :)
68afb225f7c1141cbcf4051a47a0dfb4.jpg

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Yay, my S8+ got an update and now patch level jumped from August to October and BlueBorne got patched. Now I can take the S8+ into full use as also Bluetooth can be enabled.

Reactions: epicrayban

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Been going back and forth on what phone to upgrade to (from my S7), and while the S8 has been the leader, I'm just not sure how much I like the curved edges. They seem especially distracting with their added glare when I am trying to read something online. I know the Active is an option, but not sure I want to spend the extra $100. It's also really slippery, and I wouldn't want to put a case on an already bulky phone. As much as I am not a fan of the huge top and bottom bezels, and wish it had the screen dimensions of the S8, I'm starting to consider the Pixel 2.

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
^put a vinyl/sticker on to counter the slippery back.

I had a Pixel 2 xl ordered but cancelled same day it was set to ship as the S7 from Best Buy via Verizon was $500 activated. I miss stock/ROM'd android but for the price this phone can't be beat @ $500. I hate that while unlocking I still have to touch the screen to get out of the lock screen. Typing my pin should not require to hit done. Notification/status bar modification is much too limited. Many other grips even though its a great phone, just hindered by Samsungs software and locked bootloader.

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
^put a vinyl/sticker on to counter the slippery back.

I had a Pixel 2 xl ordered but cancelled same day it was set to ship as the S7 from Best Buy via Verizon was $500 activated. I miss stock/ROM'd android but for the price this phone can't be beat @ $500. I hate that while unlocking I still have to touch the screen to get out of the lock screen. Typing my pin should not require to hit done. Notification/status bar modification is much too limited. Many other grips even though its a great phone, just hindered by Samsungs software and locked bootloader.

It's the sides that I'm more worried about. And any kind of non-slip stickers I think would be a bit annoying.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
So after initially delivering regular software updates, just noticed my S8 is stuck on the August security patch.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
After witnessing the Pixel 2 camera continuously crash with "fatal error" messages, I stand by the idea that the s8 still presents the most stable Android experience. I seriously cannot remember the last time an app crashed on me. And certainly not the camera app.

Reactions: Tsepz and torana355

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
After witnessing the Pixel 2 camera continuously crash with "fatal error" messages, I stand by the idea that the s8 still presents the most stable Android experience. I seriously cannot remember the last time an app crashed on me. And certainly not the camera app.
Exactly!

I was saying the same thing about the Note8. Yes it's not on Oreo, but I have never in my life of smartphone ownership received a device that is this stable in the 1st batch shipped.

I have punished this device in the 1st month of ownership, endless Web browsing, watching YouTube, 3 email accounts that are constantly going, endless watching on Instagram and Snapchat stories, leaving dozens of apps in the background, taking all sorts of stupid Live Focus shots that I end up deleting etc etc..it has been truly stable.

TouchWiz on Android 7.1 is just such a pleasure to use.

A part of me is glad we are only getting Android Oreo next year, as it means my Note8 will be very stable and running truly mature software going into the Xmas Holiday Season, meaning I know that my Note8 will be a true workhorse onnday trips, family and friend lunches and dinners etc etc..

Our Samsung S8, S8+, Note8s will be great for all that.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Exactly!

I was saying the same thing about the Note8. Yes it's not on Oreo, but I have never in my life of smartphone ownership received a device that is this stable in the 1st batch shipped.

I have punished this device in the 1st month of ownership, endless Web browsing, watching YouTube, 3 email accounts that are constantly going, endless watching on Instagram and Snapchat stories, leaving dozens of apps in the background, taking all sorts of stupid Live Focus shots that I end up deleting etc etc..it has been truly stable.

A part of me is glad we are only getting Android Oreo next year, as it means my Note8 will be very stable and running truly mature software going into the Xmas Holiday Season, meaning I know that my Note8 will be a true workhorse onnday trips, family and friend lunches and dinners etc etc..

I heard 7.1 is amazing on the Note 8, still got 7.0 on my S8!! Hope we get it.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Exactly!

Agree. I've always argued that getting day one software updates are overrated. It's a double edge sword; yes, you get the updates first, but you also get the first round bugs. No, thanks. I like my daily driver as free of bugs as possible. I don't need anything, small or big, disrupting my otherwise stable daily experience.

These days, given how feature-rich and good software experiences have become, day one updates become less necessary, and more about bragging rights.

Google also updates their core apps through the Play store. And Samsung has been pretty good about security updates -- and even those are not really a big deal if you ask me.

Reactions: Roadstar

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Agree. I've always argued that getting day one software updates are overrated. It's a double edge sword; yes, you get the updates first, but you also get the first round bugs. No, thanks. I like my daily driver as free of bugs as possible. I don't need anything, small or big, disrupting my otherwise stable daily experience.

These days, given how feature-rich and good software experiences have become, day one updates become less necessary, and more about bragging rights.

Google also updates their core apps through the Play store. And Samsung has been pretty good about security updates -- and even those are not really a big deal if you ask me.
Of course it depends on the new features and how much you need them, but I've also been burned with early software issues often enough to start almost preferring Samsung's pace. As long as security updates arrive reasonably fast and I don't have to keep an essential component disabled for too long while waiting for a fix, I'm OK with it. With iOS quality having taken a nosedive recently, it's really annoying that Apple stops caring about older iOS versions the minute a newer one is released, basically making users choose between security and stability.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ

So, you would recommend? I have an iPhone 6+ and need to upgrade. Its either the s8+ or the X. I am leaning towards the s8+ for the price and I really like the gear s3 watch.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
So, you would recommend? I have an iPhone 6+ and need to upgrade. Its either the s8+ or the X. I am leaning towards the s8+ for the price and I really like the gear s3 watch.

The S8 has been the most worry-free smartphone experience I've ever had. If you have a chance to try it, I recommend it. Give it an honest shot, and if you have questions, lots of good people here to help.

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010

i can vouch for the S8+. Great phone and not too wide so you can text with one hand reasonably comfortably.

Price is coming down almost weekly now so I returned my purchase of this phone a few weeks back within the grace return period and will be watching for offers on or around Black Friday - Im in the UK btw.

I was never a fan of Touchwiz but Samsung have definitely improved the experience by a lot. I dont see the point in paying silly prices for IPhone X, or Pixel 2 XL.

I used the S8+ for a week before returning it (I needed the money, otherwise would have kept it). Battery life is brilliant and I have a habit of really fiddling with the phone all day, every day.

Use a case to avoid the slippery back. Not sure about screen protector as they generally tend to look horrible on edge screens - unless someone has some recommendations for Glass ones.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Funnily enough, I never accidentally press the Bixby button and have forgotten it even exists.

Also, gone back to Nova Launcher. Wow! When did these Dynamic Badge thingy things come out? Awesome feature!

Nova has gotten better and better. Staying with it for a while now.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Funnily enough, I never accidentally press the Bixby button and have forgotten it even exists.

Also, gone back to Nova Launcher. Wow! When did these Dynamic Badge thingy things come out? Awesome feature!

Nova has gotten better and better. Staying with it for a while now.
I was using Arrow launcher for over a year and decided to go back to Nova when I got my S8, Nova has improved in a big way!

Reactions: JaySoul
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.