Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a screen protector?

• Yes, I’m too worried about scratches

Votes: 168 70.6%
  • No, I don’t care/the look and feel bother me

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • No, because I have Apple care

Votes: 21 8.8%
  • No because a bumper is sufficient protection

Votes: 14 5.9%

• Total voters

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
So, do you guys use a screen protector on your 15p/PM?

I tried two different ones and they bother me quite a bit because of the sharp edges all around. The 2nd one that I got is better, but still.
If I put the phone in a case that goes all around it’s barely noticeable, but I have a protector which is open at the bottom and I quite like that.

I do have Apple care, so technically i shouldn’t be worried about the screen cracking but it’s still always nice if you don’t have to worry about it.

How do you guys handle it?

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
AppleCare doesn’t cover scratches, only cracks. Scratches on the display glass will collect over time regardless of how careful you are. This drives my OCD to insane levels. Glass screen protectors have gotten better over the years also. I have used a Zagg borderless glass screen protector for my last few iPhones, and I’ve found them to be fantastic products. Expensive initially, but they replace if there is any issue.

They go nearly to the very edge of the front, so it is almost impossible to tell there is anything on the display.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You could make an argument for screen protectors minimizing scratches, but of course the protector itself still gets scratched and still looks lousy.

As far as “breakage” protection, don’t bother. The “protector” is FAR more fragile than the actual screen, so it’s going to break in conditions where the screen wouldn’t. And if you impact the phone enough to ACTUALLY break the display, that flimsy film ain’t gonna matter.

I didn’t vote because you don’t have “No, because it’s useless” as an option 😉

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
AppleCare doesn’t cover scratches, only cracks. Scratches on the display glass will collect over time regardless of how careful you are. This drives my OCD to insane levels. Glass screen protectors have gotten better over the years also. I have used a Zagg borderless glass screen protector for my last few iPhones, and I’ve found them to be fantastic products. Expensive initially, but they replace if there is any issue.

They go nearly to the very edge of the front, so it is almost impossible to tell there is anything on the display.
I also have one of those “borderless” glasses on which is quite good, but when I swipe up or from the side of the screen there’s quite a harsh edge. Not in your case?

Matcha

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2021
Screen protector on 100% I went without 1 for 2-3 months carefully but under bright light like the sun the screen was covered in micro-scratches.

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020
I’m not using one. I don’t see the point in keeping the surface of the screen perfect if I never use it (and what does applying/removing these protectors do to the coating?). In my case, I’m not planning to upgrade soon or sell so maximum value isn’t a concern. Also, the way I see it, it’s a thing to be used, not an artwork. Having said that, I’ve been pretty easy on my screens to date and the odd small light scratch doesn’t bother me (though gunk collecting around the edge of the protector might). Plus I’m being more careful with this one than past cheaper phones (SEs, which I think have less scratch-resistant glass anyway).

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
I also have one of those “borderless” glasses on which is quite good, but when I swipe up or from the side of the screen there’s quite a harsh edge. Not in your case?
The older ones, especially the Belkin glass protectors had a very harsh edge. I don’t find that with the Zagg product. It’s there, but quite smoothed out. I also have the Apple silicone case on, and the raised edge of the case mitigates this further.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
You could make an argument for screen protectors minimizing scratches, but of course the protector itself still gets scratched and still looks lousy.

As far as “breakage” protection, don’t bother. The “protector” is FAR more fragile than the actual screen, so it’s going to break in conditions where the screen wouldn’t. And if you impact the phone enough to ACTUALLY break the display, that flimsy film ain’t gonna matter.

I didn’t vote because you don’t have “No, because it’s useless” as an option 😉
This is true. It will probably not protect the display from cracking in any real sense.

I like to have the protector though because even if I see scratches, I know it’s on the protector and not the display glass, which doesn’t bother me. Also, Zagg will replace the protector if there is any imperfection. In my case it really is just an obsessive thing…

Reactions: nathasnajperowa

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
With the advent of improved glass screen protectors i always use one. Micro scratches are inevitable and they can turn into deep scratches.

Plus it helps your resale value if your screen is pristine.

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
Spigan screen protectors are smooth around the sides and feel better than the phone’s actual glass screen.

I agree. For years I went screen protector free. After I got my AWU, I somehow scratched the screen on my iPhone 11 with the AWU's case while sleeping. Put a cheap screen protector on the 11 and while it does protect the screen it felt tacky.

When I got my 15 Pro I ordered a bunch of different protectors and went with a Spigen even though it was 2x as much. That extra bit of money was worth it. Like you said, it feels exactly like or even better than the actual screen. The other ones I ordered had a bit of a tacky feel to them.

Its alignment mechanism is much better than the others as well. Even if I replace it every year, thats money well spent.

My only complaint was my own doing. Even after cleaning it I still wound up with a small piece of dust under the screen.

Reactions: Andeddu

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I agree. For years I went screen protector free. After I got my AWU, I somehow scratched the screen on my iPhone 11 with the AWU's case while sleeping. Put a cheap screen protector on the 11 and while it does protect the screen it felt tacky.

When I got my 15 Pro I ordered a bunch of different protectors and went with a Spigen even though it was 2x as much. That extra bit of money was worth it. Like you said, it feels exactly like or even better than the actual screen. The other ones I ordered had a bit of a tacky feel to them.

Its alignment mechanism is much better than the others as well. Even if I replace it every year, thats money well spent.

My only complaint was my own doing. Even after cleaning it I still wound up with a small piece of dust under the screen.
„Feels better than the actual glas“ is a bold statement. How is that working? The phone by itself is just flat with no edges whatsoever whereas all those glasses create an edge.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Sure, but just replace the screen protector when it starts looking bad (5 min job). Cheaper than replacing the screen...
If the micro-scratches that aren't at all visible when the screen is actually on/in use bother you more than the cost & general ugliness of the screen protector... Go for it! For me, they do not.

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
„Feels better than the actual glas“ is a bold statement. How is that working? The phone by itself is just flat with no edges whatsoever whereas all those glasses create an edge.
I have a case so it sits just slightly below the lip of the case and aligns almost perfectly so my fingers don't feel that edge.

Also, I don't appreciate you misquoting my post where you cut off the first part of my statement which was, "it feels exactly like or..."

zuckuss00

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
No screen protector here. I prefer the direct feel of the screen especially while the oleophobic coating is still intact.

Also, I simply don’t drop my devices. In 13 years I’ve never broke a screen or really scratched it intensively. I just make sure to keep keys, etc… away from the same pocket.

Also, my old devices tend to be pass down or traded in to Apple. Neither of which will care about micro scratches. I use the device and don’t think about it.

Reactions: NeonIbis

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Sure, but just replace the screen protector when it starts looking bad (5 min job). Cheaper than replacing the screen...
I did that 5 min job before when I was trying to use screen protector on my iPhone 4. Ended up nearly ruining the screen as the touch became intermittent and annoying to use. Took me 10 painful minutes to slowly get rid of it and cleared residue. Never bothered about screen protector since.
No scratches on screen, higher resale value. Scratches on screen, less resale value. Speaking from experience. So I use screen protectors.
I don’t sell my iPhone after upgrading, just give it to close family members. If I want to save some cash, trade-in is my preferred choice. It’s just a hassle for me to engage with strangers just for the sake of a bit extra, not to mention if someone wants to hurt you during the process, that saving doesn’t mean anything. (Extreme case yes but I did hear a true story near me from someone who suffered that, fatal injury too, almost dead)

BadBuoy

Suspended
Oct 3, 2023
[...] not to mention if someone wants to hurt you during the process, that saving doesn’t mean anything. (Extreme case yes but I did hear a true story near me from someone who suffered that, fatal injury too, almost dead)
Selling it online works just fine. Most cities have designated areas at police stations for doing deals as well or you can even go inside the police station lobby to trade. Don't do deals in questionable locations where nobody is around.

Reactions: klasma

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
In well over a decade of iPhone ownership, I’ve never used a screen protector, never had AC+, and only rarely used a case. I’ve had some minor scratches, but only very occasionally. I prefer using the phone as-is.

Reactions: one more

BadBuoy

Suspended
Oct 3, 2023
In well over a decade of iPhone ownership, I’ve never used a screen protector, never had AC+, and only rarely used a case. I’ve had some minor scratches, but only very occasionally. I prefer using the phone as-is.
It must be nice not being a gigantic klutz like myself. I wish I could do that, but I can't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.