Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a screen protector?

• Yes, I’m too worried about scratches

Votes: 168 70.6%
  • No, I don’t care/the look and feel bother me

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • No, because I have Apple care

Votes: 21 8.8%
  • No because a bumper is sufficient protection

Votes: 14 5.9%

• Total voters

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
I’m looking for a recommendation for a 15P matte screen protector. Anyone have one?

raf66

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I’m a screen protector guy as my phone often resides in my briefcase during my work commute, where keys and other items are in close proximity to the phone. I installed the Spigen tempered glass screen protector (along with a Spigen case) the day my iPhone 15 PM was delivered. It gives me some piece of mind.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
I bought Belkins screen protector for my 12PM two times. Both occasion, I had to change them because they started coming off after a few weeks. I hate looking at screen protectors those are broken or coming off. So, I started buying cheap ones. To be true, they sit better and have saved my mobile display several times. So, I bought cheap one for my 15PM. Looks Ok for the money.

Khavik

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
I feel like screen protectors are not as tough as screen so it is easier to scratch them than screen. My protector after 4 years looks like surface of ice after heavy hockey match, still happy that there is a screen underneath without flaws

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
So, do you guys use a screen protector on your 15p/PM?

I tried two different ones and they bother me quite a bit because of the sharp edges all around. The 2nd one that I got is better, but still.
If I put the phone in a case that goes all around it’s barely noticeable, but I have a protector which is open at the bottom and I quite like that.

I do have Apple care, so technically i shouldn’t be worried about the screen cracking but it’s still always nice if you don’t have to worry about it.

How do you guys handle it?
Very poor poll choices that require one to choose some form of protection. Some of us would never mess up a double-tough modern iPhone by adding a silly screen protector. No bumper (whatever that is), no screen protector, no case.

• Haha
Reactions: Lihkin

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
You could make an argument for screen protectors minimizing scratches, but of course the protector itself still gets scratched and still looks lousy.

As far as “breakage” protection, don’t bother. The “protector” is FAR more fragile than the actual screen, so it’s going to break in conditions where the screen wouldn’t. And if you impact the phone enough to ACTUALLY break the display, that flimsy film ain’t gonna matter.

I didn’t vote because you don’t have “No, because it’s useless” as an option 😉
Your breakage comment is not accurate. The “flimsy” glass on top of the screen most definitely protects your glass.

I don’t use a screen protector for scratches. I use to to protect the glass from breaking and I’ve seen it succeed 4-6 times over the last 10 years. Situations where a sharp rock, pebble, or table top hits the phone and the glass breaks. One could argue a few of those instances would not have broken the phones glass, but I will tell you, it almost certainly would - at least 3-4 of them.

It’s simple physics. It takes energy to break the glass screen protector. The energy that would otherwise have threatened my phone screen is diminished by breaking the screen protector. No question.

The rest of your comment I 100% agree with.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
So, do you guys use a screen protector on your 15p/PM?

I tried two different ones and they bother me quite a bit because of the sharp edges all around. The 2nd one that I got is better, but still.
If I put the phone in a case that goes all around it’s barely noticeable, but I have a protector which is open at the bottom and I quite like that.

I do have Apple care, so technically i shouldn’t be worried about the screen cracking but it’s still always nice if you don’t have to worry about it.

How do you guys handle it?
Buy a decent screen protector then. Don’t buy one with sharp lips. I buy Caudabe screen protectors. You could NOT tell I have a protector on unless you took my case off. If you have an exposed bottom, the curved edge shouldn’t be a problem at all though you would be able to see an edge. No sharp sides, no cutout at the top.

Reactions: Andeddu

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
I haven’t been able to buy a screen protector for my 15PM yet. I absentmindedly put my phone in the pocket with my keys and of course I now have 3 considerable scratches close together on my screen. I can feel them, they’re not micro scratches. I’m so upset lol I have the Torras protectors coming on Tuesday now.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
Whatever Apple did to the display glass in the 11 Pro made it extremely scratch prone. Since then I've put screen protectors on my 12 Pro and 14 Pro.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I normally don't use a screen protector (also, I suck at putting screen protectors on), but the install mechanism for the Torras Diamond Shield is so damned good that I installed one on my 15 PM this morning with perfect results.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Buy a decent screen protector then. Don’t buy one with sharp lips. I buy Caudabe screen protectors. You could NOT tell I have a protector on unless you took my case off. If you have an exposed bottom, the curved edge shouldn’t be a problem at all though you would be able to see an edge. No sharp sides, no cutout at the top.
Mhhhhh I felt like I did buy a pretty decent 25€ one with an amazing application mechanism. When I have a full case on it’s fine, but with the one with the open bottom, well.

Lex404

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US)
So for me it's my first iPhone with Apple Care+ and the first naked since iPhone 7.

I won't put a screen protector, because it will feel like 💩

I'm not too worried about scratches, even when I had these protectors I didn't change them so they stayed with scratches and my 13PM even had a broken corner.

You can still trade in with small scratches.

Tinkerbellaa22

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2019
I remember way back when I never used screen protectors, I just had a way of getting my screen scratched like crazy so it meant when time came to resell it I'd lose value because of that alone so I just use screen protectors now (the second the phone comes out the box) I don't like it but I do it anyway, the don't actually bother me.

lionofthesouth

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2021
Always use them. Whatever phone I have. First thing I do when I take phone out of box is install one, then straight into a case.
Had a few break after drops, so I change it. Gets scratched, I change it. In the grand scheme of things they are as cheap as chips. If I get a brand that don’t feel great, I still use them, but change them sooner rather than later. Used ESR armorite, now use Spigen EZ fit.
I wouldn’t even know if they feel worse than the actual screen in daily use, as the only time I feel the screen (through the cloth I’d use to wipe it) is when I wipe it down before putting a new screen protector on.

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
I use screen protectors on all of my iPhones I have owned as well as a otter box defender case may make the phone more bulkier but better to have it protected I use iPhones for there functions and stuff and don’t like to spend money to fix a broken screen oh I do have Apple care as well just in case but I have hardly used it.

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Yes, because a 3-4 pack on Amazon can be had for $10. Change every 3-6 months.
With a thin case, phone is still in great condition to pass to the kids in 2 years.

And to those that say the protectors do not protect against breakage.....my daughter has broken the back glass of every phone she has had. All phones with a case. One with an Otterbox. Her last phone had the camera lens glass broken......but she has never broken a screen.....many screen protectors, yes, but never a screen. The 13 Max I just passed down to her has a case, screen and camera lens protectors on it.......

Reactions: Andeddu

ArthurDent

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Using an Apple supplied and fitted Belkin screen protector. No sharp edges, and feels no different to the naked screen - I swipe/type and it’s silky smooth.

Reactions: Mrs. Jobs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.