Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a screen protector?

• Yes, I’m too worried about scratches

Votes: 168 70.6%
  • No, I don’t care/the look and feel bother me

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • No, because I have Apple care

Votes: 21 8.8%
  • No because a bumper is sufficient protection

Votes: 14 5.9%

• Total voters

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
even though I have applecare and don't use a case, I choose to put a screen protector to avoid all the little scratches that I got on the phone when I didn't use a protector

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
No screen protector and/or case here, 'cause AppleCare+.
AC+ won’t cover scratches to body/screen: What‘s not covered: “The policy does not cover your Apple device for loss or theft, normal wear and tear, intentionally- caused damage, fire or cosmetic damage which does not affect the functionality of the device.”

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
For one, I definitely like the protection from scratches. I like the idea of being able to get my phone out of its case and screen protector and still having a pretty great looking phone. And, even if it doesn’t impart any further crack protection than you’d get from the screen itself, I still like the placebo effect.

Reactions: AlecEdworthy

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I only run one because the oleophobic coating does eventually wear off. Easy enough to replace a glass screen protector with a fresh copy and it saves from minor scratches.

For the first time since the iPhone 4, I am daring to run without a case, but in this case I do have a screen protector.

Reactions: kc9hzn

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
I only run one because the oleophobic coating does eventually wear off. Easy enough to replace a glass screen protector with a fresh copy and it saves from minor scratches.

For the first time since the iPhone 4, I am daring to run without a case, but in this case I do have a screen protector.
I’m still hesitant to run without a case, but then again, I only switched to using screen protector + hard case when I upgraded to the XR, because the old style OtterBox impact cases started to become harder and harder to find. Heck, I lost my 6s to a water mishap, but that’s because waterproof cases (like I had on my 5s) had basically vanished by that point. I don’t feel the need for that level of protection anymore, but I still feel that some protection is necessary.

I’ve used the Apple clear case on my iPhone XR for four years now (granted, the case itself is in terrible shape and is horribly yellowed, and will effectively be retired when my iPhone 15 Pro arrives soon), so that’s a pretty good level of service. Given that phones have been water proofed quite effectively since the iPhone 7, and how good of a job screen protector + case has done for me for the past four years, that‘s probably what I’ll do this time. Sometime in the future, I can see myself using just a screen protector (and maybe eventually just a naked phone), but I’m rather hesitant to change the level of protection I give to the most expensive item I bring with me everywhere. (I may own more expensive items, but they don’t go everywhere with me.)

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I use a film style screen protector because it protects my display from scratches and doesn’t collect dust around the edges and that’s really what I’m looking for. Plus it comes in a three or four pack to replace it when needed.

That being said using the screen without a screen protector feels pretty awesome as well.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
Yes but not so much for protection. When my wife and I got new 15s we were going to go without a screen protector but the screen itself was kind of grippy, my finger didn’t glide across the screen. With a Belkin screen protector it makes using the phones easier.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I've used a screen protector with every phone up until the last two. On both of those phones I have risked not having a screen protector installed. And so far, nary a scratch on them. I just use a case and then just be careful where I am putting the phone. It's always by itself in a pocket -- never with anything else that could possibly scratch the screen on it.

So going forward I think I'll abstain from getting one.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I think your poll is missing “yes, but not worried about scratches, but more about cracking”

On my 13 Pro I went through 2 glass screen protectors after dropping the phone twice (more than any other iPhone since the 4) from a height while in a thicker TPU case. Both times, the phone landed on a corner with the case taking the brunt of the force but pushing onto the screen on a downward angle. Both times the screen protector shattered but left the phone screen unharmed entirely. I’ve always used screen protectors and never had to replace one due to drop damage until the 13 Pro. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
AC+ won’t cover scratches to body/screen: What‘s not covered: “The policy does not cover your Apple device for loss or theft, normal wear and tear, intentionally- caused damage, fire or cosmetic damage which does not affect the functionality of the device.”

Yeah, I'm aware. But minor scratches don't bother me and if it happens to shatter somehow then there's AppleCare as a safety net. So I'm not too worried about anything going south. :)

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
My Torras protectors came. I might be the first person to screw it up. I’m returning the remaining one and just paying the $40 for the Belkin so Apple can install it for me 😅

Reactions: Mrs. Jobs

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Never used a screen protector. Micro scratches do not bother me and have never impacted my trade in value with Apple.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
17B9EC93-B881-4672-BC07-408F0DB8F3AB.jpeg

“Screen protectors are ugly”

Lol.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You can’t even see the screen protector on my iPhone, not bothered if others don’t use them though as it’s not my problem. The threads here with people complaining about scratches are usually mildly amusing.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Not an option on the poll, but I use a screen protector for privacy.

Attachments

• IMG_0389.jpeg
    IMG_0389.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 46

fessura

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2009
In the eye strain thread, I think some mention such increases with a screen protector. Perhaps such can change how light reaches the eye and increase eye fatigue even if barely noticable.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
In the eye strain thread, I think some mention such increases with a screen protector. Perhaps such can change how light reaches the eye and increase eye fatigue even if barely noticable.
Eh, I was just talking with someone about this earlier today. Eye strain has more to do with focal length, it’s your ocular muscles getting tired the same ways your arms would get tired if you were continually holding dumbbells. If you let focal length adjust naturally instead of staring at a fixed focal length, your eyes generally get less tired. That’s why they tell you to take a break from screens and look at stuff at a distance.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I did not vote on this as it did not have the option of yes but because of the environment I have my hobbies of fixing up my vehicles and lots of hard manual labor in the yard. I realize that the screen protector will not protect against breakage of the screen but preventing scratches on the screen is why I have one on my 15 Pro. Since I acquired my screen protector when I got my phone at the cellular store if it gets to scratched up or delaminates I just run to the cellular store and it is free replacement of the screen protector

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I realize that the screen protector will not protect against breakage of the screen but preventing scratches on the screen is why I have one on my 15 Pro.
Well, anecdotally speaking, I had a router fall a couple of feet onto my old iPhone a few years ago. The corner of the screen protector was shattered. However, the actual screen was perfectly intact. I'd like to think that the protector absorbed enough of the impact to protect the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.