Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a screen protector?

• Yes, I’m too worried about scratches

Votes: 168 70.6%
  • No, I don’t care/the look and feel bother me

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • No, because I have Apple care

Votes: 21 8.8%
  • No because a bumper is sufficient protection

Votes: 14 5.9%

• Total voters

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Yeah the ones with the cutouts for the notch were not a good look at all lol 😂
Yeah. I am not saying that all screen protectors look good. There are ugly ones too. The one I use is a Spigen… I wouldn’t never use a cheapo screen protector with an expensive iPhone because some of them really do detract from both the visual and physical experience.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yeah. I am not saying that all screen protectors look good. There are ugly ones too. The one I use is a Spigen… I wouldn’t never use a cheapo screen protector with an expensive iPhone because some of them really do detract from both the visual and physical experience.

The full screen ESR ones are decent, I’ve used them on my last two iPhones and they are really durable. Harder than the screen too so no scratches after a year of use.

Reactions: Andeddu

wes2006ag

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Houston
I've never used a screen protector on any iPhone but for the first time I scratched up my 12 Pro pretty good. I was going to go no screen protector for the 15PM but noticed a decent sized scratch after a few days of babying the phone and decided it might not be a bad idea to get a screen protector.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I've never used a screen protector on any iPhone but for the first time I scratched up my 12 Pro pretty good. I was going to go no screen protector for the 15PM but noticed a decent sized scratch after a few days of babying the phone and decided it might not be a bad idea to get a screen protector.
Was your phone in your pocket when you got it?

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I am using screen protector on my phone. Just a habit to protect my phone the best I can in addition to a clear case.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
You could make an argument for screen protectors minimizing scratches, but of course the protector itself still gets scratched and still looks lousy.

As far as “breakage” protection, don’t bother. The “protector” is FAR more fragile than the actual screen, so it’s going to break in conditions where the screen wouldn’t. And if you impact the phone enough to ACTUALLY break the display, that flimsy film ain’t gonna matter.

I didn’t vote because you don’t have “No, because it’s useless” as an option 😉
Oh, so millions of people have been wrong about this all these years! :D

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You could make an argument for screen protectors minimizing scratches, but of course the protector itself still gets scratched and still looks lousy.

As far as “breakage” protection, don’t bother. The “protector” is FAR more fragile than the actual screen, so it’s going to break in conditions where the screen wouldn’t. And if you impact the phone enough to ACTUALLY break the display, that flimsy film ain’t gonna matter.

I didn’t vote because you don’t have “No, because it’s useless” as an option 😉
Are you referring to thin plastic film screen protectors?

I think these days most people who use screen protectors use the tempered glass versions which are significantly more substantial. These certainly are not flimsy and do offer protection to the screen in drops. They are also a harder glass than the actual screen and resist scratches much more effectively. The added bonus is the fact there is no difference in appearance or feel to the screen underneath. Judging by how soft iPhone screens are these days, I can not see a benefit of not using one in all honesty.

mauro2524

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2023
I remember when I used to work at T-Mobile years ago, I'd sell screen protectors and customers would come back like "These screen protectors are so flimsy, mine's broken!" And I'm just like... yeah, but your screen is fine? So the screen protector did its job, haha.

RoadCyclistID

Contributor
Oct 18, 2007
Idaho
Trying the screen protector route this time without a case. It will be an interesting year to see how things turn out when the 16 arrives.

pommephone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
My Torras protectors came. I might be the first person to screw it up. I’m returning the remaining one and just paying the $40 for the Belkin so Apple can install it for me 😅
The Torras and Ultraglass appear to be the same with different branding. I got the Ultraglass, and once I figured out how to install it (no instructions, crappy video) it was a perfect fit with no dust or bubbles!

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The Torras and Ultraglass appear to be the same with different branding. I got the Ultraglass, and once I figured out how to install it (no instructions, crappy video) it was a perfect fit with no dust or bubbles!
I got the Torras. I got a perfect install with the new installation mechanism. I could never put on a screen protector properly until now.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
The first thing I did before even turning on my brand new iPhone 15 Pro Max was take out the film and put my screen protector on. Did this with every single smartphone I ever owned. Will never use any screen without protection.
Ditto. Opened the box. Extracted the phone. Applied a screen protector. Powered it on. Set it up.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Are you referring to thin plastic film screen protectors?

I think these days most people who use screen protectors use the tempered glass versions which are significantly more substantial. These certainly are not flimsy and do offer protection to the screen in drops. They are also a harder glass than the actual screen and resist scratches much more effectively. The added bonus is the fact there is no difference in appearance or feel to the screen underneath. Judging by how soft iPhone screens are these days, I can not see a benefit of not using one in all honesty.
Exactly. The screen protector is hard and so doesn't scratch. But it chips and cracks more easily. The iPhone screen is designed not to crack or shatter but to do this the surface is softer and so scratches more easily. Scratches are better than cracks, so I'm OK with this, and yes I use screen protectors (since before the phone is powered on).

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
So, do you guys use a screen protector on your 15p/PM?

I tried two different ones and they bother me quite a bit because of the sharp edges all around. The 2nd one that I got is better, but still.
If I put the phone in a case that goes all around it’s barely noticeable, but I have a protector which is open at the bottom and I quite like that.

I do have Apple care, so technically i shouldn’t be worried about the screen cracking but it’s still always nice if you don’t have to worry about it.

How do you guys handle it?
I always get a screen protector.
I have insurance in case the phone breaks, but I still put a screen protector and case because I know that if or when a phone breaks it often can happen in a time or place where you may not be able to get a replacement device immediately e.g. you are travelling for work or on vacation or it happens around Christmas when stores are closed etc… I would rather avoid the possibility as much as possible.

Reactions: chfilm

NdTonks

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2021
+1 for Torras. I had a $8 Amazon no name protector and it was thick and just felt unpleasant to touch. Upgraded to the $25 Torras and it feels smooth and is much nicer than the former.

M2MaxMan

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
Never had a problem with a screen protector with any iPhone that I owned. Why take the chance when you have the ability to protect it from the start? Better safe than sorry!!!

Blue Titanium 15 Pro Max 512GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.