Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bulbousnub

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
It's all preference. If you want to pay for Apple care that's your prerogative if I want to pay 5 bucks for some cheap screen protectors that my prerogative. Who cares. That's why the OP said naysayers stay out because this thread is not a out whether you agree or disagree with screen protectors but which ones are out there.

Yeah, but I've never been one to play by the rules. :cool:

Reactions: RadioGaGa1984

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Just remember that there are untold millions of people wearing delicate, elaborate, mechanical watches that cost infinitely more than any Watch, including the Edition, who have never once even remotely considered a screen protector.

If a $7000 Rolex Submariner, which gets worn in the ocean, hiking, hunting, chopping wood, etc. doesn't need a screen protector, your $500 Watch certainly doesn't.

Only Apple people could exceed the persnickety anal retentiveness of some of the most persnickety anal retentive people on the planet; watch collectors.

Reactions: sixtydashone

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012

ninethirty

Suspended
Mar 1, 2006
Yes, Sapphire will scratch... if you're scratching it with diamonds.

I do everything with my watch and in 7 years haven't put even the lightest scratch on it. Nobody needs to be worrying.

Sapphire will scratch too, just not as easy. Just saying.

----------

It's all preference. If you want to pay for Apple care that's your prerogative if I want to pay 5 bucks for some cheap screen protectors that's my prerogative. Who cares. That's why the OP said naysayers stay out because this thread is not about whether you agree or disagree with screen protectors but which ones are out there.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
My Pebble watch was listed as "Scratch Resistant" and I thought I'd go without a screen protector. I made it for about 5 months before I got a nasty scratch on it.

I put a screen protector on it then, and it not only has protected it from further scratches but has done a very good job of concealing the existing scratch.

I'm seriously considering getting a SS version, and since it has the sapphire screen I'm not sure I'll need a screen protector.
I've thought about it because I had to put one on the pebble. I might just wait for the review on the sport, and the protectors.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Yes, Sapphire will scratch... if you're scratching it with diamonds.

I do everything with my watch and in 7 years haven't put even the lightest scratch on it. Nobody needs to be worrying.

I'd say this is probably true but I'm still going to put a cheap protector on mine for the first month or so to satisfy my ocd. After that I won't worry when the newness wears off.

Reactions: Bojan

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Sapphire will scratch too, just not as easy. Just saying.

----------

It's all preference. If you want to pay for Apple care that's your prerogative if I want to pay 5 bucks for some cheap screen protectors that's my prerogative. Who cares. That's why the OP said naysayers stay out because this thread is not about whether you agree or disagree with screen protectors but which ones are out there.

But if you're putting a screen protector on that isn't harder than sapphire, what's the point?

Reactions: RadioGaGa1984

Downs2011

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2013
Maryland, USA
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00S8L6UKM/ref=pd_aw_sim_cps_1?refRID=0MA1M390B7M3VQBQ2V4M
I have the SS model so I won't be buying one but if I was getting one this would be it. I've been using the tech armor HD on my 6 plus since day one and it's been amazing. I know the screens are much more durable but my wife has a 6 without any protector and she mangaged to get tons of hairline scratches on her screen. Don't buy six crappy protectors while there are really good ones that will last you a long time and are super clear so they won't take away the beauty of that retina display!

chillg8r

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Durham,NC
I too have a 25 year old watch with a sapphire crystal and I wore it everyday for years when I was very active and it looks today as it looked the day I bought it.

If I were getting the Stainless watch i wouldn't consider a protector, since I am getting the Sport I am going to try one, and if I don't like it I will throw it away.

JMO

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I bought two screen protectors from Amazon for my two SS watches coming on Friday. People say the Sapphire screens are suppose to be very durable against scratches but I'm not taking any chances. I figured spending $14 for two screen protectors is worthwhile for $1500 worth of Apple watches.

clint-bell

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
I think no matter what the watch is made from it is prone to breaking. I've gone for the sport version which is aluminium and the sapphire glass. I've had a watch for years and it's not got a single scratch on it, but the stainless steel has a few light marks.

I think I'll still go with a glass screen protector even though it won't be the most attractive thing once on, it will still protect the watch which is most important to me.

Quite a lot of sellers listing these on amazon/ebay so waiting to see what they look like once customers have started receiving theirs.

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
Got a Zagg HD Shield for my 42mm SG. Adds no bulk, no loss of touch sensitivity. No bubbles so far. I like it. You can barely see the line of the shield in the pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 716
Reactions: Bojan

VAGolfer

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2015
Got a Zagg HD Shield for my 42mm SG. Adds no bulk, no loss of touch sensitivity. No bubbles so far. I like it. You can barely see the line of the shield in the pic.

Where did you get the Zagg HD Shield? I've been checking their site and it only seemed to show up today for pre-order.

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
Where did you get the Zagg HD Shield? I've been checking their site and it only seemed to show up today for pre-order.

Just went to the ZAGG kiosk at my local mall here in SLC, UT. They are cutting them to order. They have regular and HD.

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Just went to the ZAGG kiosk at my local mall here in SLC, UT. They are cutting them to order. They have regular and HD.

The fit must be complete garbage if they're sitting there in the mall cutting with a pair scissors. I had a 2 pack of ArmorSuit screen protectors come in today. Ordered on Amazon a couple days ago. The watch should be here by end of day.

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
The fit must be complete garbage if they're sitting there in the mall cutting with a pair scissors. I had a 2 pack of ArmorSuit screen protectors come in today. Ordered on Amazon a couple days ago. The watch should be here by end of day.

Lol, no all Zaggs are cut via machine. They load what you want into the machine and it cuts it out. All non-glass is done that way. Zagg is Zagg but I wanted something to protect my glass while new products come out. I've had Zagg since the first iPhone in '07 but I have a Benks 0.2mm on my 6 Plus now. Absolutely amazing quality and its full front. So hopefully more manufacturers start making stuff. Let us know how the TechArmors are when you get your watch!

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Lol, no all Zaggs are cut via machine. They load what you want into the machine and it cuts it out. All non-glass is done that way. Zagg is Zagg but I wanted something to protect my glass while new products come out. I've had Zagg since the first iPhone in '07 but I have a Benks 0.2mm on my 6 Plus now. Absolutely amazing quality and its full front. So hopefully more manufacturers start making stuff. Let us know how the TechArmors are when you get your watch!

Does zagg still use that orange-peel-feeling material? I couldn't stand that about their screen protectors.

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
Does zagg still use that orange-peel-feeling material? I couldn't stand that about their screen protectors.

The HD doesn't as much. The original still does and I hate it. I usually look for clearance deals on the originals at Target or at Radio Shack and just upgrade them at a kiosk. So I paid $8 for an original shield on clearance at Target for my Air 2, then paid $5 to upgrade to the HD, and then another $10 to the Glass. So $23 instead of $50.

ep3forlife13

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
New Jersey
The HD doesn't as much. The original still does and I hate it. I usually look for clearance deals on the originals at Target or at Radio Shack and just upgrade them at a kiosk. So I paid $8 for an original shield on clearance at Target for my Air 2, then paid $5 to upgrade to the HD, and then another $10 to the Glass. So $23 instead of $50.

does it cover the whole screen of the watch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.