Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
I recently picked up a brand new old stock Gold iPhone SE which had been sold off in bulk by a major phone retailer/carrier to a small online retailer. I couldn’t resist when I saw the price, which was just over $100, as it’s now almost impossible to get ahold of a brand new non-refurbished SE. I was lucky enough to pick up the last available one in stock! The going rate is now over $300 for a sealed unit if you look elsewhere.

I have upgraded iOS to 15.4.1 and the A9 chip is coping surprisingly well with very few animation frame drops. It is definitely a viable phone to own in 2022 despite the age of the hardware. I have a 12 Mini however I just love the feeling of using this one handed as even the Mini requires both hands for me due to the much larger screen.

The screen may be small but it is just about fine for media apps such as YouTube, Netflix and Disney+. It may not be acceptable for some users who are used to big phones but it’s suitable for me. Web-browsing is a joy on this thing too due to the size and accessibility of the screen.

I am enjoying his phone so much that I have decided to keep it as my daily driver for at least six months which will coincide with the release of iOS 16 and the time Apple will likely drop support for it. I’ve slapped a clear gel case on and a tempered glass screen protector to help keep this thing in mint condition.

The reason I am going back is because I never really experienced the SE as my daily driver and I feel like I’ve missed out on something great. I have owned a Space Grey SE for several years but never really used it because I pretty much went straight from the 6S to the 8 to the 12 Mini and it was viewed as a spare phone which ended up completely unused in my cupboard.

I know it’ll probably never happen but I am a big advocate of Apple replacing the shape of the current SE with this one as the old iPhone 5 chassis is peak small phone design.

03A9FDAE-4A89-4A92-B995-350132158F77.jpeg
0EA9528E-19BA-4E90-B703-8099D24ADDB9.png
8DF5275E-A3A2-4201-96F3-E64BD1660E5D.png
78E6BFEE-CCD1-4BC9-95E4-A9446EEF4E2F.png

Last edited:

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I still have my iPhone 5 and the form factor is a thing of beauty. Surpassed for me only by the 12 Pro returning to squared sides and beating the 5/SE with stainless steel. But of course, due to their size and heft, these phones are an entirely different proposition. I reckon OG iPhone SE is a great device in 2022 👍

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Welcome to the club!! What a rare thing for someone to downsize to such a small phone these days—and for the first time!

I agree, the design of the SE 2016 is the pinnacle. Even after 6 years of continual use, I still often look at it with awe. It can’t be improved in my book—functionally for one-handed use and pocketability, as well as aesthetically. I know people say bezels are ugly, but aesthetics are of course subjective, and functionally a thick chin or forehead bezel allows for easier handling in many situations. I also like the physical home button and Touch ID (though Touch ID 2 would be nice).
And I like the small screen size. But that’s because I mostly use my phone as a quick communication and reference tool. I very rarely use the screen for more than a couple minutes at a time (though I use audio longer). I only really use it when I’m out and about, because at home and work I prefer to use iPads, Macs, and TVs. So for me, true one-handed usability is far more valuable than a large screen in a phone.

Truth be told, I actually liked the even smaller original 3.5” 3:2 screen size more. I think that was the optimal screen size for one-handed use (at least for my smallish-medium hands), but otherwise the 5/SE 2016 is the best. All subjective of course.

Oh also because of the small size and squared edges, it’s so secure to hold and use. I’ve never used a case and I don’t think I’ve ever dropped it! (Never had any damage anyway)

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Welcome to the club!! What a rare thing for someone to downsize to such a small phone these days—and for the first time!

I agree, the design of the SE 2016 is the pinnacle. Even after 6 years of continual use, I still often look at it with awe. It can’t be improved in my book—functionally for one-handed use and pocketability, as well as aesthetically. I know people say bezels are ugly, but aesthetics are of course subjective, and functionally a thick chin or forehead bezel allows for easier handling in many situations. I also like the physical home button and Touch ID (though Touch ID 2 would be nice).
And I like the small screen size. But that’s because I mostly use my phone as a quick communication and reference tool. I very rarely use the screen for more than a couple minutes at a time (though I use audio longer). I only really use it when I’m out and about, because at home and work I prefer to use iPads, Macs, and TVs. So for me, true one-handed usability is far more valuable than a large screen in a phone.

Truth be told, I actually liked the even smaller original 3.5” 3:2 screen size more. I think that was the optimal screen size for one-handed use (at least for my smallish-medium hands), but otherwise the 5/SE 2016 is the best. All subjective of course.

Oh also because of the small size and squared edges, it’s so secure to hold and use. I’ve never used a case and I don’t think I’ve ever dropped it! (Never had any damage anyway)
I did not use a case and dropped it a few times which resulted in no damage at all. I used it on a number of vacation trips and was pleased with the many photos I took. Of course my DSLR Nikon would have taken better photos but I was at the stage in life when I had no interest in lugging it around. Live in the moment, take in my surroundings, and take a few photos. No camera bag to worry about.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016

I agree. I think it’s aesthetically the pinnacle of phone design, from a subjective standpoint — obviously! I just believe that, for a design that first arrived to us 10 years ago, it hasn’t really aged and has become somewhat timeless and iconic. It’s still as beautiful today as it was back then. The Mini is the true successor to this phone and despite it still being a stunning piece of industrial design, I still consider the SE easier on the eyes.

My only real improvement in relation to design, if Apple were to release another SE like this one, would be to implement Touch ID 2 on a capacitive button and improve water resistance to IP67/68 levels. I would keep the bezels too along with the LCD panel to keep costs down. A loud speaker on the ear to provide surround sound would be a big improvement also!

Everything else is kind of perfect for a more causal smartphone user. I just wish Apple would realise that rather than rehashing the iPhone 6, which is more of a small phablet, again and again.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Have you checked the iPhone mini? It is almost the same size as the 5/5s/SE, and it has edge to edge screen. The iPhone mini imo is the true successor to the spirit of the original SE. It's really amazing holding a phone that tiny with all screen.
The OP has a 12 mini.

Reactions: sorgo †

childu

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
I recently picked up a brand new old stock Gold iPhone SE which had been sold off in bulk by a major phone retailer/carrier to a small online retailer. I couldn’t resist when I saw the price, which was just over $100, as it’s now almost impossible to get ahold of a brand new non-refurbished SE. I was lucky enough to pick up the last available one in stock! The going rate is now over $300 for a sealed unit if you look elsewhere.

I have upgraded iOS to 15.4.1 and the A9 chip is coping surprisingly well with very few animation frame drops. It is definitely a viable phone to own in 2022 despite the age of the hardware. I have a 12 Mini however I just love the feeling of using this one handed as even the Mini requires both hands for me due to the much larger screen.

The screen may be small but it is just about fine for media apps such as YouTube, Netflix and Disney+. It may not be acceptable for some users who are used to big phones but it’s suitable for me. Web-browsing is a joy on this thing too due to the size and accessibility of the screen.

I am enjoying his phone so much that I have decided to keep it as my daily driver for at least six months which will coincide with the release of iOS 16 and the time Apple will likely drop support for it. I’ve slapped a clear gel case on and a tempered glass screen protector to help keep this thing in mint condition.

The reason I am going back is because I never really experienced the SE as my daily driver and I feel like I’ve missed out on something great. I have owned a Space Grey SE for several years but never really used it because I pretty much went straight from the 6S to the 8 to the 12 Mini and it was viewed as a spare phone which ended up completely unused in my cupboard.

I know it’ll probably never happen but I am a big advocate of Apple replacing the shape of the current SE with this one as the old iPhone 5 chassis is peak small phone design.

View attachment 1992708 View attachment 1992705 View attachment 1992706 View attachment 1992707
I completely agree and still using my mint unit from 2017. Great phone and I wish a modern phone with the same dimensions.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Have you checked the iPhone mini? It is almost the same size as the 5/5s/SE, and it has edge to edge screen. The iPhone mini imo is the true successor to the spirit of the original SE. It's really amazing holding a phone that tiny with all screen.

Yup, I have a 12 Mini. It is the 2nd smallest phone available with a larger screen than a SE ‘22 and a smaller overall footprint. The SE is considerably smaller than the Mini though and can legitimately be used with one hand. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Mini still and plan to return to it after my brief liaison with the SE, lol.

The SE’s time as a supported device by Apple is coming to an end so it’s really now or never for me to experience it.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
I still have my 2016 SE that is kept for emergency backup use. Now that I have the 13 mini, I have no desire to keep using the SE. The 13 mini is still small and is much better for me than the SE in day to day use.

I purchased a brand new Space Grey SE 3 years ago as they were going for next to nothing ‘boxed and sealed’ back then. I planned to use it as a spare phone in the event of an accident as I do not subscribe to Apple Care+. I ended up not needing the phone and sold it in favour of a Gold one, purely due to the colour preference.

Reactions: sorgo †

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The iPhone 5 was my first brand new iPhone purchase on a launch day (I pre-ordered that year). I find it interesting that Apple essentially brought it back in 2016. After the launch of the 6 Apple seemed to be done with that phone.

I still have my iPhone 5. The SE was my son's first brand new iPhone purchase and he still has his, although we got him the SE 2020 last year.

In its time, the iPhone 5 was the bigger phone. If you lay it down next to a 3GS you'll see it's taller. Next to an HTC Touch Pro, it's not only taller, it's wider and the screen is much larger. The 3GS and the Touch Pro are the phones I was using before the iPhone 5. So, the 5 and the SE are not small phones, it's just that newer phones got larger.

I've moved on to larger phones, but having owned my 5, I understand your enthusiasm for the SE. Enjoy it. It's an iPhone.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
The iPhone 5 was my first brand new iPhone purchase on a launch day (I pre-ordered that year). I find it interesting that Apple essentially brought it back in 2016. After the launch of the 6 Apple seemed to be done with that phone.

I still have my iPhone 5. The SE was my son's first brand new iPhone purchase and he still has his, although we got him the SE 2020 last year.

In its time, the iPhone 5 was the bigger phone. If you lay it down next to a 3GS you'll see it's taller. Next to an HTC Touch Pro, it's not only taller, it's wider and the screen is much larger. The 3GS and the Touch Pro are the phones I was using before the iPhone 5. So, the 5 and the SE are not small phones, it's just that newer phones got larger.

I've moved on to larger phones, but having owned my 5, I understand your enthusiasm for the SE. Enjoy it. It's an iPhone.

I remember thinking it was a big phone when I saw it on release back in 2012. I guess it’s a big phone but it’s tiny compared to the phablets that are considered average sized by today’s standards. It’s tiny even compared to the Mini as it’s shorter in height and thinner too. The PM in contrast is like a tablet rather than a phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I remember thinking it was a big phone when I saw it on release back in 2012. I guess it’s a big phone but it’s tiny compared to the phablets that are considered average sized by today’s standards. It’s tiny even compared to the Mini as it’s shorter in height and thinner too. The PM in contrast is like a tablet rather than a phone.
When my wife and I were first getting cellphones back in 1999, there was this tiny flip phone that I considered. Ultimately, I decided against it because I just knew I'd lose something so small. Even then that little phone was tiny compared to the other flip phones.

So, yeah, size is relative. I have the 11 Pro Max now (so does my wife) and as much as I like my 5, I won't go back to that size.

But I can empathize with how you see the SE and feel about it because I have owned the 5.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
When my wife and I were first getting cellphones back in 1999, there was this tiny flip phone that I considered. Ultimately, I decided against it because I just knew I'd lose something so small. Even then that little phone was tiny compared to the other flip phones.

So, yeah, size is relative. I have the 11 Pro Max now (so does my wife) and as much as I like my 5, I won't go back to that size.

But I can empathize with how you see the SE and feel about it because I have owned the 5.

That’s why I believe Apple should offer consumers an updated cheap Touch ID phone in this exact form factor. The SE ‘20 and onwards are still essentially small phablets whereas the Mini is still a flagship device priced at $100 less than the Regular.

I speculate that Apple may release the SE ‘24 in the shape of the Mini but with an LCD screen and do away with the Mini line altogether.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
@Andeddu

You're killing me!

Where'd you buy it -- any chance I can snag one still?

I had been searching on eBay for a brand new & non-refurbished Gold SE and there weren’t any at a reasonable price other than this one which was the final one in stock. I obviously snapped it up within a millisecond, haha. The only remaining new SE’s are in the $300+ range.

I suppose it’s still possible to get refurbs which look new for less than $100… I’ve seen plenty on eBay!

MK500

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
My daughter absolutely loves her SE, and I also love my 6S (which has very similar internals). Both work perfectly fine with the newest iOS, and have incredibly good sound quality with high end wired headphones. These are the last true audiophile Apple iPhones.

I predict they will continue to go up in price used up until Apple decides to no longer support them with iOS updates. They have enough RAM (2GB) that they could probably continue to support them for a few more years if they decide to. RAM is usually the deciding factor for ending iOS support for older iPhones.

Wireless headphones/AirPods are fine for their intended purpose; but there is no reason I should have to carry around dongles to connect quality headphones to my device.

As an aside; DAP devices are getting more and more popular, and can run $700++. An iPhone SE or 6S can compete with many of these for efficient headphones/IEMs that don't require ridiculous amounts of power.

Apple could easily earn $1500 from me if they shipped any modern iPhone with a headphone jack. I thought these guys were supposed to be the biggest Music company (production, streaming, etc). At least their pro laptops still have decent audio jacks.

When you offer a teenager a modern iPhone and they prefer to keep their SE; that is saying something. "Sorry, Dad, I need my headphones. And I don't want to carry around my AirPods when running around the city; I'd probably lose one."

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
I adored my black & slate iPhone 5, my first iPhone, from which I moved to a space gray 6 (less favorable), and then space gray SE right before taking my first—and hopefully not my last—trip to Japan in spring 2016. The compact size and improved performance and camera helped make that trip really special, and in a complementary fashion the beautifully unfamiliar surroundings positively reflected back onto the device itself.

Later on, out of sheer temptation, I switched to a space gray 8 Plus, then a purple 11, then a black 12, and now finally to a green 13 mini which I plan to hold onto for years to come. While the SE will forever rank among my most-loved iPhones (probably at the #1 spot), the 13 mini helps alleviate the pain of having traded in that little treasure with its lovably-familiar square shape and relatively compact size—along with its excellent capability and “future-proofing.”

I’m glad other end-users (and apparently Apple itself given the more recent trends in its design language) recognize that special, “magical” golden age spanning from the iPhone 4 through the still-performative, original iPhone SE.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I wish they could just spec bump the camera and processor and leave the rest as is

Call it "iPhone Classic"

And I don't need a "module" of 3 cameras.
Just whatever is a little newer and better that maintains the flat lens/back

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Yes same I want a new boxed OG SE, but don’t know where to get them in the UK. I would gladly pay £250-£300 for a brand new one.

My problem is that I don't trust any of the units out there are actually "new"

I've bought two "new/sealed" ones and it wasn't true in either case.
Both had been "refurbished" and repackaged and, very unethically, sold as "new".

Returned them both.
If you decide to try this out - make sure you select "free returns" on the eBay search criteria.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.