Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MK500

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
I knocked surface mount components off the motherboard of my daughter‘s SE changing the battery (apparently not so hard to do as there is a YouTube video about the resistor problem). Even with all the right tools and years of experience mistakes still happen. Be very careful when prying up the battery connector. You can see the 4 dots on the left that should have components similar to the right:

DF88D0DF-7314-4960-B5C1-137327136BB2.jpeg

Anyway I was able to find a 128GB A1723 for $140. It came from China; but so far seems to be perfect. Even the battery appears new. It was packaged extremely well.

I‘ll follow up after a couple of weeks, but I’m so relieved to have this replacement.

She really needed more storage space, so this is a nice upgrade from her 64GB.

Let me know if anyone wants the eBay link; as they still seem to have some. It’s $129 + shipping, etc.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Does anybody have some good links on where to buy a new screen?
Perhaps some first-hand experience with a particular model or a reseller somewhere?

Reviews are so mixed on some of them…

CC91UK

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2018
Norwich, UK
Currently using an old SE as an iPod! Got it on eBay for about £35. There was already one small crack at the top of the screen before I added another one 😒 I did actually have an iPod Touch in the past, but I sort of wish I hadn't sold it when I got my iPhone. Have since found my spare iPod screen protector and bought a gel case.

I'd almost forgotten how good the sound quality is when you're using wired headphones!

iphone SE.JPG

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
BA96DF63-31E8-4AE2-9E14-772C4BAFCB1C.jpeg
9194638F-B8AE-498A-9268-E895161A10EA.jpeg
7357415D-782F-4EC1-8F67-452D26DA9774.jpeg

Time passes quickly but that’s me used my SE’16 for exactly 6 months as a daily driver and I am now returning to my trusty 12 Mini. To be honest, it has been a joy using this plucky little thing with the A9 processor still surprisingly snappy on iOS 15.7 which is the last available major update on this device. It’s astounding how long Apple can keep a device up-to-date and viable despite technology improving so rapidly. It’s not something we see at all in the Android space.

I used this device for pretty much everything from basic phone functionality to WhatsApp, Skype, web-browsing, Netflix, Disney+, iPlayer, YouTube, Among Us, Apple Pay, online banking, GPS Maps, music, emails, podcasts, etc… and it has performed handsomely in all of those tasks. The little screen took a short time to get used to for media but it was suitable in the end, especially when in bed where the trade-off is the comfortable weightless chassis that can be held so easily in one hand.

It’s an awesome phone and it did everything I asked of it. I’ll miss the size and weight as Apple are never going to make a phone as pocketable as this ever again. It’s such a shame because I’d immediately jump on an updated SE using this classic old design.

Oh well, back in the box it goes!

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
@Andeddu

I feel ya'

I got a great deal on a green mint 13 Mini 128 ($400) and I've made that my main phone at this point. CarPlay was just becoming too non functional for me on the SE1 (audio skipping, maps taking too long too often, Siri and dictation barely working at times) and I wanted to be able to use 5G also.

I still have my fleet in use for other things, but just not as my main phones

I miss the size/weight basically "always", but the internals are just so much faster/better (obviously) on the latest Minis

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
@Andeddu

I feel ya'

I got a great deal on a green mint 13 Mini 128 ($400) and I've made that my main phone at this point. CarPlay was just becoming too non functional for me on the SE1 (audio skipping, maps taking too long too often, Siri and dictation barely working at times) and I wanted to be able to use 5G also.

I miss the size/weight basically "always", but the internals are just so much faster/better (obviously) on the latest Minis
That’s an amazing deal you got there on that 13 Mini. I never used CarPlay as I don’t have a compatible car so didn’t have any issues in that regard. I just had my SE constantly connected to Bluetooth and streaming off of Apple Music. No skipping there due to there being only a small amount of processing required.

You are right though that it’ll be hard to overcome the limitations now that the A9 is beginning to really show its age. I just wanted to hop on iOS 16 and get my MagSafe battery back, haha.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
That’s an amazing deal you got there on that 13 Mini.

Thx - yeah -- I have to admit, that pushed me over the edge on going this direction.
I always feel better about this stuff if I at least got a good deal on it.

I'd wanted a 256gb model for the longer term, but I might just keep my eyes open for a deal on one eventually -- not super critical

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Thx - yeah -- I have to admit, that pushed me over the edge on going this direction.
I always feel better about this stuff if I at least got a good deal on it.

I'd wanted a 256gb model for the longer term, but I might just keep my eyes open for a deal on one eventually -- not super critical
That’s my issue with the 12 Mini I have. I love it and it’s a beast of a phone however it’s only 64gb and I am already reaching capacity. I plan on using a Mini indefinitely so perhaps an update to a standard 128gb 13 Mini is in my future. I would hang off just now if I knew the Mini would return as an SE but there is really no credible information to say that we will see this design return which leaves me in the lurch.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
@Andeddu

I feel ya'

Ah so it is probably my phone that’s the issue… I”m still using my SE1 and recently got a car with (wireless) carplay and it gives me trouble sometimes. Wasn’t sure if it was the phone or the car. The phone also tends to get extremely hot while using carplay and has overheated (or maybe it’s only while also charging, got to check on that). It’s to the point that I sometimes have to hold it up to the air conditioning to cool it down. I wonder if that’s also the phone.
Another reason I think I have to move on to another phone is the old radios. I get terrible reception at my apartment. I can’t send any pictures through SMS. But another person with a newer phone on the same carrier gets better reception. Still bad, but they can send pictures.
I knew I’d have to give up this phone eventually, but I was hoping to put it off a little longer, until I lost app support. I’m thinking it might be sooner. It’s such a bummer. This is the best phone by far.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
he SE’s time as a supported device by Apple is coming to an end so it’s really now or never for me to experience it.
I downgraded from an iPhone 8 to an SE 32GB for 4-5mths before purchasing a 12 mini 256GB full retail. The miniscule size really felt great, not to mention the 3.5mm headset jack at a time I was still on the fence with AirPods Pro. During this time 32GB wasn't enough for the 2016 SE to surving on 15.x - it crippled its performance.
I still have my 2016 SE that is kept for emergency backup use. Now that I have the 13 mini, I have no desire to keep using the SE. The 13 mini is still small and is much better for me than the SE in day to day use.
with 15.7.1 + indeed the 12/13 mini will fly vs the SE.

Great, iconic, design. Ive's best since the TiBook or the G4 Cube quite honestly

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
I downgraded from an iPhone 8 to an SE 32GB for 4-5mths before purchasing a 12 mini 256GB full retail. The miniscule size really felt great, not to mention the 3.5mm headset jack at a time I was still on the fence with AirPods Pro. During this time 32GB wasn't enough for the 2016 SE to surving on 15.x - it crippled its performance.

with 15.7.1 + indeed the 12/13 mini will fly vs the SE.

Great, iconic, design. Ive's best since the TiBook or the G4 Cube quite honestly
The size and weight are hugely appealing to me. I can’t just slip the Mini in and out of my pocket like I did with the SE and when I am in bed watching something on Netflix with one hand, I can feel the additional weight which can become tiresome after 30+ minutes.

I made good use out of the 3.5mm earphone Jack also while at the gym too but it’s not a huge loss.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The size and weight are hugely appealing to me. I can’t just slip the Mini in and out of my pocket like I did with the SE and when I am in bed watching something on Netflix with one hand, I can feel the additional weight which can become tiresome after 30+ minutes.

I made good use out of the 3.5mm earphone Jack also while at the gym too but it’s not a huge loss.

I really had to read your post 4x to try to really get where you’re coming from. “in and out” of your pocket while “in bed” can get “tiresome”?? :O I’m thinking how can that get tiresome, it’s not a Pro Max, just how many times are you doing this in bed …. but then oooh I get it ;) /s

Sure the 13 mini’s weight at 143g is sígnica toy heavier than the SEE 2016 is, you’d notice the 12 mini being slightly light would make a difference.

I’m still thinking 💭 🤔 I’m misunderstanding what mean above , or at least I hope so. Especially who’s wearing pockets to bed that you’d need them? Hope you’re more comfortable now?

Question is will the SE 2016 continually get security updates going forward? I’ll be watching that closely as it may be my turn in 6-7yrs long ok’ing at my 13 mini.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
I really had to read your post 4x to try to really get where you’re coming from. “in and out” of your pocket while “in bed” can get “tiresome”?? :O I’m thinking how can that get tiresome, it’s not a Pro Max, just how many times are you doing this in bed …. but then oooh I get it ;) /s

Sure the 13 mini’s weight at 143g is sígnica toy heavier than the SEE 2016 is, you’d notice the 12 mini being slightly light would make a difference.

I’m still thinking 💭 🤔 I’m misunderstanding what mean above , or at least I hope so. Especially who’s wearing pockets to bed that you’d need them? Hope you’re more comfortable now?

Question is will the SE 2016 continually get security updates going forward? I’ll be watching that closely as it may be my turn in 6-7yrs long ok’ing at my 13 mini.
Haha, I have used ‘and’ as a conjunction to signify I am speaking about two separate things. In and out of pockets AND holding up the phone whist in bed are two separate instances where the SE’s size and weight are a benefit. Perhaps I should have wrote it as two separate sentences to avoid any confusion.

I am back to the Mini now and it’s fine, getting used to it again along with the benefits of having a far more powerful machine at hand.

Even though the SE will be receiving no more major updates, I am fairly certain that we will see security updates appear for a couple more years.

Annv

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2019
I've looked into this as I'm planning to hold to my 1st gen SE for as long as it lasts.

As I've found out, iOS 12 and iOS 15 are supported. iOS 13 and 14 are not, but that's because all devices that can install them, can also install iOS 15.

In August 2022, iOS 12 received a major security update: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213428

So, I think iOS 15 will be receiving security updates for a long time. I read somewhere (I cannot find a link anymore) that those are not small updates you receive on Windows now and then, but large patches of major vulnerabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.