Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
I bought mine new and unlocked in November 2019. First iPhone and first smartphone. It cost me under £120 for the 16GB model. I kept an eye on the seller's stock and began to get nervous when it seemed I might miss out on what I considered a bargain and so I ordered one. I don't regret it at all. I didn't want a bigger phone as I don't watch movies on it or trawl the Internet very often and I don't take many photos or videos. It's a tool to me that serves a limited but useful purpose and, of course, really comes into its own now and again for various tasks.

Yes, I was a little wary buying what was purportedly a 'new' phone via eBay but the seller's feedback was convincing and at the time there was still quite a bit of 'old new' SE stock circulating in several outlets. I was and remain delighted with my iPhone SE as it is the right tool for me. What I'll replace it with when the SE reaches the end of its useful (to me) life I don't know. I do hope there's something as good and of a comparable ergonomic size and design to suit me.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I returned my 13 mini and went back to my SE1. iOS15, not size, was the issue. It was such as mess, knocked out handsfree in my car, 15 was materially crippling my phone use. So why pay more for less, it went back. With 15.4 handsfree still works with the SE1, runs very well however, this is the first iOS that I've noticed is taxing the cpu.

But I have to say, it’s really nice having a fraction of the size and weight in my pocket and 1-handed operation is a breeze. I’ve skinned mine with gun grip tape, without a case they are quite slippery.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I wish they could just spec bump the camera and processor and leave the rest as is

Call it "iPhone Classic"

And I don't need a "module" of 3 cameras.
Just whatever is a little newer and better that maintains the flat lens/back
Imagine a phone with no camera bump.

Seriously.

Just freakin’ imagine how wonderful that would be 😭

Apple should hire me:
Step One: take Mini
Step Two: make it thicker
Step three: add bigger battery
Step Four: have Schiller say “can’t innovate my ass” again.
Step Five: hire Jonny for a special appearance.
Step Six: have him describe the flat back and gorgeous design.
Step Seven: Have Tim say “we think you’re gonna love it. I am retiring. Elon just bought the company. thank you everyone and have a good night”

Apple is doomed 🙄😂

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
It's still a great phone. No glass back, no camera hump, light, fits easily into a pocket, can be used with one hand, has a headphone jack and imho it's the prettiest of all iphones.

The mini seems fine, but it looks imperfect in comparison. I had a gold 5s. TouchID was not great, and unfortunately it wasn't waterproof - but apart from that, i'd take that form factor over wvery other iphone, especially over the 6--SE3 🤢

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The last time I used the 2016 SE was back in 2018 when my wife and I traveled over to Europe. I had the X as my daily driver, but I purchased an unlocked SE on the cheap and popped a pre-paid SIM in while we were abroad. I only used my X at the hotels we stayed at when we were connected to wifi. Otherwise, I brought the SE with me everywhere to navigate around town and keep in touch bask home. It was perfect to be able to throw in my pocket and not have to worry about it. It took decent pictures as well since I used it as my camera too.

I definitely miss it--I'm not sure why I ultimately sold it. I really loved the space gray color.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
It's still a great phone. No glass back, no camera hump, light, fits easily into a pocket, can be used with one hand, has a headphone jack and imho it's the prettiest of all iphones.

The mini seems fine, but it looks imperfect in comparison. I had a gold 5s. TouchID was not great, and unfortunately it wasn't waterproof - but apart from that, i'd take that form factor over wvery other iphone, especially over the 6--SE3 🤢

I suppose it would be nice if Apple decided to release a Mini 14 due to the purported flat camera.

The biggest complaint with the Mini line is that, although I still consider it a very small phone by today’s standards, it’s still too big to used one handed and the edge-to-edge display makes one handed gestures feel unnatural.

The SE3 doesn’t appeal to me because it is just a a very well constructed budget phone. The key features are Touch ID, no PWM and affordability. It is no longer viewed as the small phone as the Mini has taken that spot.

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
I don’t have an SE but I have just got back from the Apple store getting the battery replaced on my 5S, this is its third battery since new and the technician commented that it was in amazing condition for a phone of its age.

These size phones are the perfect size. While I was there I was looking at the 13 mini, I don’t call that a mini phone.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
The last time I used the 2016 SE was back in 2018 when my wife and I traveled over to Europe. I had the X as my daily driver, but I purchased an unlocked SE on the cheap and popped a pre-paid SIM in while we were abroad. I only used my X at the hotels we stayed at when we were connected to wifi. Otherwise, I brought the SE with me everywhere to navigate around town and keep in touch bask home. It was perfect to be able to throw in my pocket and not have to worry about it. It took decent pictures as well since I used it as my camera too.

I definitely miss it--I'm not sure why I ultimately sold it. I really loved the space gray color.
It really was the perfect jet-setting phone. Miss the world back then.

Reactions: Andeddu

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Imagine a phone with no camera bump.

Seriously.

Just freakin’ imagine how wonderful that would be ?

Apple should hire me:
Step One: take Mini
Step Two: make it thicker
Step three: add bigger battery
Step Four: have Schiller say “can’t innovate my ass” again.
Step Five: hire Jonny for a special appearance.
Step Six: have him describe the flat back and gorgeous design.
Step Seven: Have Tim say “we think you’re gonna love it. I am retiring. Elon just bought the company. thank you everyone and have a good night”

Apple is doomed ??
Exactly how thick would the phone have to be to smooth out the camera bump though? I suspect it would be undesirably thick to a lot of customers.

I think it would be cool if the camera system on all iPhones was a module that could be swapped out, and Apple offered two modules—a basic camera system that was flush with the back, and a “pro” camera system that protruded out. That way people who prefer bigger phones wouldn't have to have a big expensive protruding camera if it’s not worth it to them, and people who prefer smaller phones could still pay to get the better “pro” camera if they want, or people could have both camera modules and swap them back and forth if they usually want a flush camera but sometimes want to take better pictures say on a trip.

But maybe if this was easy (or profitable) to do, Apple or some company would have already done it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian33 and Andeddu

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Exactly how thick would the phone have to be to smooth out the camera bump though? I suspect it would be undesirably thick to a lot of customers.

I think it would be cool if the camera system on all iPhones was a module that could be swapped out, and Apple offered two modules—a basic camera system that was flush with the back, and a “pro” camera system that protruded out. That way people who prefer bigger phones wouldn't have to have a big expensive protruding camera if it’s not worth it to them, and people who prefer smaller phones could still pay to get the better “pro” camera if they want, or people could have both camera modules and swap them back and forth if they usually want a flush camera but sometimes want to take better pictures say on a trip.

But maybe if this was easy (or profitable) to do, Apple or some company would have already done it.
Everyone loved the chonk of the 4s.

Bring back the chonk!

No more camera bump!

Haha

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Everyone loved the chonk of the 4s.

Bring back the chonk!

No more camera bump!

Haha
Of course yes! My post was in favor of a flush camera (as an option)!
What I’m pointing out is that I don’t think we’re actually taking into account the exact thickness of the camera bump. I couldn’t find the exact dimension online, but it looks at least 3mm including the lenses, probably more. (Anybody know where to find the exact measurement? Also maybe depends if we’re talking about the base camera, I was looking at the pro.) That on top of the current thickness of the iPhone would make it a beast, thicker than the 4S, but also significantly worse for handling because it’s quite a bit wider. Not to mention the bigger overall dimensions of the Mini would probably make it much heavier than the 4S. Plus next camera bump is rumored to be even thicker!
So I think my swappable module idea would be a lot more ideal, but probably neither are realistic.

Reactions: JM and Andeddu

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Have you checked the iPhone mini? It is almost the same size as the 5/5s/SE, and it has edge to edge screen. The iPhone mini imo is the true successor to the spirit of the original SE. It's really amazing holding a phone that tiny with all screen.
The mini is markedly heavier and taller. It was a significant change for me when I switched from the OG SE to the 12 mini. I wish the mini was as small and light as the SE. While the mini is better than nothing, it’s not a real substitute for the 5/SE form factor.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I've heard many devs mention how "thrilled" they'll be when 4" screen sizes aren't something they have to worry about anymore.
Those devs are mistaken if they think this is happening with iOS 16, because (besides the iPod touch already mentioned in this thread) the Display Zoom size of the mini corresponds to the 4" size, and the mini will be supported by iOS for a number of years still.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
I don't just use the headphone jack because:

a) it's cheaper
b) it sounds better
c) it's a universal standard (can plug into any device, new or old, Apple or non-Apple, and it will work)
d) they're retro-chic these days
e) it's better for right-to-repear, since there's not li-on batteries constantly degrading...

No, I also use headphones because I despise Apple's excuse of being "brave". I'm not buying it. Airpods are ok, but removing the jack was pure greed.

And now that iPhones are heavy and huge, there's no excuse to say it's about saving space. It's not 2017 anymore.
I believe the Mac still has the headphone jack and will for a long time still have it as Apple views as essential port but they don't view it that way on the iPhone. This is because every new Mac since 2016 after they removed it from the iPhone and then the iPad Pro in 2018 had a headphone jack because Apple knows that the jack is important for the Mac and Apple definitely agrees with you otherwise the headphone jack would have been axed in 2016 with the new MBP's.

Now fast forward to 2022. Every Apple Sillcon Mac has a headphone jack: 2021 iMac, 2021 MBP and 2022 Mac Studio.

Apple knew what they were doing with removing the headphone jack and for a business it makes sense to do it.

Before you say Apple would be stupid to remove the jack on a laptop/desktop well... Dell did it.

Now, what bothers me is when other companies do something first that even Apple did not do and 99% of people are silent. Dell removed the headphone jack in their 2022 13" XPS and it was mostly crickets. If it was Apple that did that, countless articles and outrage videos would have been made.

Now, is Dell removing the jack on a LAPTOP pure greed? Yes it is, even more so than Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: mectojic

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I believe the Mac still has the headphone jack and will for a long time still have it as Apple views as essential port but they don't view it that way on the iPhone. This is because every new Mac since 2016 after they removed it from the iPhone and then the iPad Pro in 2018 had a headphone jack because Apple knows that the jack is important for the Mac and Apple definitely agrees with you otherwise the headphone jack would have been axed in 2016 with the new MBP's.

Now fast forward to 2022. Every Apple Sillcon Mac has a headphone jack: 2021 iMac, 2021 MBP and 2022 Mac Studio.

Apple knew what they were doing with removing the headphone jack and for a business it makes sense to do it.

Before you say Apple would be stupid to remove the jack on a laptop/desktop well... Dell did it.

Now, what bothers me is when other companies do something first that even Apple did not do and 99% of people are silent. Dell removed the headphone jack in their 2022 13" XPS and it was mostly crickets. If it was Apple that did that, countless articles and outrage videos would have been made.

Now, is Dell removing the jack on a LAPTOP pure greed? Yes it is, even more so than Apple.

Years ago Apple actually sent me a survey asking if I used the headphone port on my Macbook Pro. (I replied YES.) So it seems they were considering it, crazily enough! Thank God they didn’t remove it. Probably because there were too many professionals who relied on it for lagless audio, lossless sound, and long work sessions where wireless headphones would have run out of battery. I’m curious though why that didn’t keep Apple from removing it from iPads, considering they’re advertised to be used by creative professionals too.

Reactions: mectojic

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Ipads really should have a headphone jack. To market them as pro and then remove such a useful port is really another way that Apple hinders its iPad line. I keep trying every year to make my iPad Pro a daily driver, but it's just not there...

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Ok, so it's not brand new -- but was a screaming deal so I couldn't pass it up.
64GB model that had screen protector on from day one -- $40!!

I admit, I doubled my investment and went and got a legit Apple battery replacement yesterday (needed it badly).

Basically brand new now!!

Does have a minor touch of screen variation at edges.
I think it's glue or something underneath -- have had that on others before...never really bothers me as I only notice it on all white screens and only if really paying attention to it.

In love!
Great addition to my fleet!

Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 13.37.39.png

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
If anyone is looking for great silicone cases for these, here is the kind I've got a bunch of..
They are a bit more expensive than I paid (I was getting them for $4-6 each), but it might because they are becoming rare.

The quality is better than the photos and all of mine have actually come with an Apple logo on the back, which they omit from pictures for obvious reasons I'm guessing.

Little bit of a deal if you get two and great GREAT color choices too..

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016

I admit, I doubled my investment and went and got a legit Apple battery replacement yesterday (needed it badly).

I think it's glue or something underneath -- have had that on others before...never really bothers me as I only notice it on all white screens and only if really paying attention to it.

In love!

View attachment 2007880
Beautiful! Which model is it? Gold, Rose Gold or Silver? That’s an amazing price your paid for it and, with the new battery, it’ll last for many years to come.

I was suffering with battery issues on my SE too. I ran the phone’s serial number through the decoder and discovered it was made in late June 2016. No wonder the battery was acting strangely given that it has been lying there unused for almost 6 years!

I have had a battery replacement and now the thing lasts almost a full day of fairly heavy use. Still happy with my SE… 5 more months to go before I return to the 12 Mini, lol.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Beautiful! Which model is it? Gold, Rose Gold or Silver?

Thank you!
It's a silver - back isn't quite as flawless, but still pretty good -- covered all the time with these cases I use anyhow.

The battery replacement was a major deal -- I had no idea that a bad battery could even cause problems when plugged in during CarPlay usage. New battery made it an entirely different device.

I see why folks think their older phones are "shot" and they need to upgrade...
Really most of them probably just need a new battery.

SE1 runs latest iOS 15 just fine - great in fact - if the battery is in good/great shape.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Thank you!
It's a silver - back isn't quite as flawless, but still pretty good -- covered all the time with these cases I use anyhow.

The battery replacement was a major deal -- I had no idea that a bad battery could even cause problems when plugged in during CarPlay usage. New battery made it an entirely different device.

I see why folks think their older phones are "shot" and they need to upgrade...
Really most of them probably just need a new battery.

SE1 runs latest iOS 15 just fine - great in fact - if the battery is in good/great shape.

Yeah, a bad battery can make your phone unusable and change your habits completely. I didn’t bother replacing the battery in my 6S until recently. If I had done that back in 2018, I could have saved the cost of a new iPhone 8!

Were you not already using an SE prior to your new purchase? What happened to that phone?

I have iOS 15.5 on my SE and it’s a good experience. I am quite patient and don’t mind waiting an extra second longer for web-pages and apps to load so it’s definitely a good experience for me.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Were you not already using an SE prior to your new purchase? What happened to that phone?

I have it still - it needs a new screen (started delaminating or something)
At $40 I thought about buying this one just for the screen, but when I saw the condition I was like -- nope! new daily driver!

I'll still be on the lookout for a new screen for my previous daily.

I also have a couple others that I've kept on lower iOS versions for a few reasons

(No Checkra1n yet for iOS 15 and in the Fall I really need location faking tweaks - TV sports)

spamaka

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2019

In love!

View attachment 2007880
wow! where did you get it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.