Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Easy fit in pants or shirt pocket; easy in and out; comfortable.
Yes, that home button (plus a screen protector) makes it easier to get a purchase on it to pull out of a pocket too!
In any case, I never use my iPhones without a case or two hands. One-handed use is just asking for a disaster! It's so much easier to hold the phone in one hand and tap out messages or URLs — or tap on icons or links — with the other.

I'm constantly using my phone while doing something else with the other hand -- whether it's carrying a heavy bag, holding a subway pole, holding a dog leash, or stirring a pot of chili. One-handedness is a must-have.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Not being able to reach either far side of the screen with your thumb without dropping it. And Reachability is a joke. Even if you can enable it one handed without dropping the phone, it slows you way down, eliminates almost all the screen real estate with the keyboard open; and I _still_ can’t reach buttons in the corners.
Not being able to reach either far side of the screen with your thumb without dropping it. And Reachability is a joke. Even if you can enable it one handed without dropping the phone, it slows you way down, eliminates almost all the screen real estate with the keyboard open; and I _still_ can’t reach buttons in the corners.
I use the Tapback feature to invoke Reachability. And with the keyboard set to left hand, I can easily reach all of the keyboard with my thumb. No slowdown at all with using those two features as they are pretty much automatic. If that is still too much trouble, then you should stick with the SE.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Yes, that home button (plus a screen protector) makes it easier to get a purchase on it to pull out of a pocket too!

I'm constantly using my phone while doing something else with the other hand -- whether it's carrying a heavy bag, holding a subway pole, holding a dog leash, or stirring a pot of chili. One-handedness is a must-have.

2E7C8CCD-B1F0-4206-8394-5C3CF1A05F19.jpeg
C7DD594E-FDE3-4015-9504-42B457172A8B.jpeg

The dimensions between the SE and Mini are quite similar however the SE is considerably more comfortable to hold with one hand. The far larger screen on the Mini makes it more difficult to use one-handed especially when web-browsing. I don’t use the reachability feature because it feels unnatural and never bothered on my 6S/8 either as I subconsciously gravitated to using both hands. I find myself subconsciously typing and browsing with one hand when using the SE which shows that it’s likely the largest phone you can use comfortably with one hand.

I obviously think that the 4/4S is undoubtably more comfortable with one hand but the 3.5” screen would severely affect the phones usability as a media player and a smartphone. The 4” screen I appears to provide the perfect balance between one-handed use and smartphone usability.

MK500

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
I don’t get the obsession over having a headphone jack on a phone. I use my phone for calls, listening to podcasts, audiobooks, some music — AirPods are perfect for this and much better than wired for the convenience and freedom of movement. I have nice over-ear cans, but these I use directly into my MacBook or an interface because I am stationary.

If you think I’m wrong — just look around. I don’t see anybody wearing wired in public. Anyone that does is in the minority — either they don’t like change or don’t want to spend the $100 on AirPods.
Airpods are great, but sometimes you want the higher audio quality possible without needing to compress your music to the very limited bandwidth available with Bluetooth. While Apple’s AAC 256 is quite decent; the larger dynamic range of Apple’s lossless ALAC at 24/44 is noticeably better. That is why they offer lossless on Apple Music; it’s true to the artist/producer’s original intentions. There is an entire high-end audio industry out there that still sells millions of wired headphones every year.

Eventually headphones will move to a better wireless standard that has more bandwidth and the quality difference will disappear. More than anything this is a limitation of Bluetooth.

And sometimes you have a favorite pair of headphones that just work better for a particular task. I have a pair of sennheisers that are SO comfortable for running, and let in just the perfect amount of outside noise for safety while still having excellent bass. The wire is so thin I barely notice it; and is asymmetric so I always know which is the right/left side. It’s super easy for me to pop the right one out for a conversation and I don’t have to worry about dropping or losing one because they are attached. Also they cost less than $40, so I have a few spares in a drawer (they were discontinued so I bought a few extras).

When my daughter goes to school she puts away her AirPods and insists on old-school wired EarPods. I don’t know her specific reasons; but it’s her choice.

But honestly; you should enjoy what works for you. It’s all about choice and having many options. And I don’t think you are wrong that my daughter and I are in the minority. There is another phrase for the minority…what was it…”Think Different” maybe?

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
I use the Tapback feature to invoke Reachability. And with the keyboard set to left hand, I can easily reach all of the keyboard with my thumb. No slowdown at all with using those two features as they are pretty much automatic. If that is still too much trouble, then you should stick with the SE.

Apparently, my hands are smaller than yours. If I try Tapback, I drop the phone. Because in order to grasp the far edge of the Mini with my fingertips, the near edge rests over the palm part of the finger joints, I can't bend the thumb to reach more than about 3/4 of the way across, and I have to contort to reach the near edge (also encouraging dropping). Plus I tend to switch which hand I use it in, at need, so a handed keyboard doesn't solve the problem.

And I did stick with the SE. It died irreparably about a year ago, and was impossible to replace on short notice. And at this point, I wouldn't be able to run the apps on it that I need to for work anymore anyway. Besides, one shouldn't have to use 6-year-old+ technology in order to have a usable device.

I'm glad the Mini works for you, but I still agree with the OP that the 2016 SE was peak small phone design and wish Apple would update and revive it in the same form factor.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
The dimensions between the SE and Mini are quite similar however the SE is considerably more comfortable to hold with one hand. The far larger screen on the Mini makes it more difficult to use one-handed especially when web-browsing.

I think your SE case may be bulkier than your Mini case. I compared the two after purchasing the Mini, and found that the Mini without a case was a couple mm wider than the SE with a case. I had no problem using the SE one-handed with a case. I struggle with the Mini without one (and find it's more slippery than SE with case) and can't use it one handed at all with one. The SE was small enough to allow me to hold it with just my fingers, allowing them to flex relative to the palm, giving the thumb much more mobility relative to the screen.

And agreed about the screen size. Ironically, having more of the width taken up by bezels (and case) meant that less of the screen was those nearest and furthest areas that I can't reach with the thumb at all.

Reactions: klasma and Andeddu

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Apparently, my hands are smaller than yours. If I try Tapback, I drop the phone. Because in order to grasp the far edge of the Mini with my fingertips, the near edge rests over the palm part of the finger joints, I can't bend the thumb to reach more than about 3/4 of the way across, and I have to contort to reach the near edge (also encouraging dropping). Plus I tend to switch which hand I use it in, at need, so a handed keyboard doesn't solve the problem.

And I did stick with the SE. It died irreparably about a year ago, and was impossible to replace on short notice. And at this point, I wouldn't be able to run the apps on it that I need to for work anymore anyway. Besides, one shouldn't have to use 6-year-old+ technology in order to have a usable device.

I'm glad the Mini works for you, but I still agree with the OP that the 2016 SE was peak small phone design and wish Apple would update and revive it in the same form factor.
I loved my SE 2016. I purchased a 13 mini and it is not a light weight feeling phone and too big but I probably would have reluctantly adapted. However, I had to sell it after a few days because it caused my eyes to feel a burning sensation. I was not recently coming from the SE 2016 but a wonderful Samsung Galaxy S10e with an AMOLED display. It caused me no eye problems or headaches but the iPhone 13 mini was a problem. There are many many posts from people who cannot use the recent iPhones due to the displays.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
I think your SE case may be bulkier than your Mini case. I compared the two after purchasing the Mini, and found that the Mini without a case was a couple mm wider than the SE with a case. I had no problem using the SE one-handed with a case. I struggle with the Mini without one (and find it's more slippery than SE with case) and can't use it one handed at all with one. The SE was small enough to allow me to hold it with just my fingers, allowing them to flex relative to the palm, giving the thumb much more mobility relative to the screen.

And agreed about the screen size. Ironically, having more of the width taken up by bezels (and case) meant that less of the screen was those nearest and furthest areas that I can't reach with the thumb at all.

I agree that the big corner bumpers on my SE case can distort how small the device is compared to the Mini.

You are spot on with the bezels providing perfect screen placement for one handed use. Even an SE with the exact dimensions but with a full screen and no bezel would be challenging to use due to lack of chin which would then require the user to engage in finger gymnastics to reach the bottom resulting in two-handed use once more.

Seems like a bezel is a key ingredient to the one-handed phone experience.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
The SE1 looks and feels like it was designed to use in your hand

The Mini looks and feels like “make the biggest screen you can jam in there”..

I don’t personally understand the desire on the Mini to have edge to edge screen all over. It just creates many areas that are hard to reach and uncomfortable to manipulate within.

I guess I am weird, but I have no desire at all to be watching movies or whatever on my phone, and I find it to be a drawback, at best very “neutral”, that they have spent so much energy making every millimeter into screen

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
@Andeddu

These photos you are posting are killing me -- I love seeing these in "brand new condition"
So crisp and striking -- just beautiful devices.

They really are works of art, aren’t they?

If you are persistent on eBay you will come across brand new devices every now and again at varying price scales. I had scoured every night for 10-20 mins for a week and eventually came across this beauty. I was willing to pay a lot more than I did but I was lucky enough to pay refurb prices for a genuine brand new SE.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
The 13 mini is 142 gr while 4S was 141 gr.
4S was smaller but stainless stell, I remember when I swap from 3GS how that thing seems heavier.
Btw for me 13 Mini (just for A15 and more battery than 12 mini) is the only compromise we could wait from Apple.
I really hope Apple in future could rethink SE/mini series to make a new slim/pocket iPhone for everyone who don’t need a phablet, but I don’t think there will be some chance.

Reactions: sorgo †

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
4s was a chonk -- but at least small.
iPhone 5/5s/SE1 -- all very light and wonderful in hand and pockets

View attachment 1993307
Obviously, one is built in aluminum and anybody had a Mac/tablet/phone/watch in the last 30 yrs know how it is weak, while the 4S was built in steel.
The point isn’t the 113 gr of 5/5s (iPod touch’s weight 88 gr) but the 142 gr of 13 mini.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
I bet once Apple pulls the plug on the iPhone Mini you’ll have the constant moaning and complaining from the same obsessive vocal yet small group of iPhone SE1 users about why Apple is the devil and how they don’t care about people who like small phones.

Apple pretty much gave small phone lovers everything they wanted in a small phone and yet none of them bought one, haha such a shame.

The irony is that these small phone lovers are the problem. As am I, but that will change as soon as I can snatch a deal on a 13 Mini.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Oh hey! I heard from the other seller offering "new" iPhone SE's
Notice anything?

Exact same language -- basically copy/paste
So the same scamming and selling "not new" as "new"
Shameful

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 22.35.26.png

Reactions: bousozoku

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I agree that the big corner bumpers on my SE case can distort how small the device is compared to the Mini.

You are spot on with the bezels providing perfect screen placement for one handed use. Even an SE with the exact dimensions but with a full screen and no bezel would be challenging to use due to lack of chin which would then require the user to engage in finger gymnastics to reach the bottom resulting in two-handed use once more.

Seems like a bezel is a key ingredient to the one-handed phone experience.
Yet Apple has this uncanny way of giving us something new, something that will take time to adjust to yet with such minimal time it becomes second nature to use.

iPhone OG: just be great at using a phone. Period!
3G/3GS: style
iPhone 4: impeccable built quality functionality, a clear 720P camera n easy software to use it. Siri.
iPhone 5S: TouchID how accurate abs rapid it was over any previous implementation of biometrics!!
IphoneX FaceID the exception as that took them longer to get it right

Reactions: Andeddu

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Have you checked the iPhone mini? It is almost the same size as the 5/5s/SE, and it has edge to edge screen. The iPhone mini imo is the true successor to the spirit of the original SE. It's really amazing holding a phone that tiny with all screen.

The OP has a 12 mini.

Yeah I’m also thinking behind preference of TouchID or design, @ian87w is right the mini has the appeal of the original SE. not realizing the narrow screen could also be a factor as the SE2/3/6s/7/8 all have what appears to be a wider screen. Curious if this affects in favor of older apps still in App Store or restored from purchase history or full restore. ?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I bet once Apple pulls the plug on the iPhone Mini you’ll have the constant moaning and complaining from the same obsessive vocal yet small group of iPhone SE1 users about why Apple is the devil and how they don’t care about people who like small phones.

Apple pretty much gave small phone lovers everything they wanted in a small phone and yet none of them bought one, haha such a shame.

The irony is that these small phone lovers are the problem. As am I, but that will change as soon as I can snatch a deal on a 13 Mini.
I don't mind the size of the iPhone 13 Mini but I dislike Face ID and all the gestures. I don't like the extra gestures on Android, either. I have virtual buttons at the bottom.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
So -- about those "new" iPhone SE's on ebay..

View attachment 1993550

Here's the listing: ebay link

I messaged and asked specifically if these were new/sealed and 100% genuine OEM parts

To the sellers credit - they replied honestly -- but seriously, how is this allowed on ebay?

View attachment 1993548

I saw a lot of these sellers during my search. They appear to have purchased refurbished stock from other companies and are now flogging them on eBay as “new” when they are merely refurbs.

You’ll see them say contradictory things such as “new/sealed” in the same sentence as “ex-display” and “barely used”.

I couldn’t believe how rare these phones are as new devices now. 2 years ago, when I purchased the Space Grey SE which I have now sold, you could purchase genuine new SE’s for 20% more than these refurbs and they were so easy to get ahold of in any colour or configuration.

Most genuine new/sealed SE’s are going for ridiculous money due to supply/demand because of their clear value to collectors.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My biggest concern purchasing a ‘factory new’ sealed iPhone SE that’s been in somebody’s possession for XYZ time frame, will likely have a fully depleted Li-ion battery or 10%-under, and if you know anything about lithium ion technology, it’s absolutely not recommended to let a battery ever fully deplete, because it may not fully recover and/or recover at all to it’s original state of charge.

I mean, I get it….you can totally have the battery replaced, but that doesn’t come without a cost either.

It’s a ‘good phone’, but it’s a scrap bin part phone at best that Apple was totally utilizing casings from previous Gen designs in all likeliness. I don’t think I would go as far as purchasing this phone given the risks. And I don’t trust eBay for a second with any sellers only when it comes to iPhones, as there’s _way_ too much fraud on that site.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.