Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
When it says rating, caution what actually is that in terms of 12 or 15 etc please?
Don't know how it translates directly, but given the bloody violence seen (one scene in particular) I imagine it will be rated 18 here in the UK (can't find anything on the BBFC site yet)

Reactions: PJ.

PJ.

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
Don't know how it translates directly, but given the bloody violence seen (one scene in particular) I imagine it will be rated 18 here in the UK (can't find anything on the BBFC site yet)

Thanks. Shame Apple can’t put 18. The trailer looked 12 but thought it wouldn’t be.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
I have to admit I like it. Some stuff has me going. How could they have even done that blind, but I’ll suspend realism.

Oh by the way I was like wtf in the 1st episode when we meet the queen. Was not expecting that. Lol.
The first episode...especially that prayer scene...was interesting. Definitely got you watching closely.

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
I don’t get all the bad reviews that critics are giving it.

I've only watched the first episode so far, but how did they get from their "native" settlement to the new one so quickly? I got the idea that it was somewhat far away from the first one so that they could be safe, right? However just by watching the episode it looks like they got there in just a few hours.

The new settlement was far away. The story just speeds through to the clan arriving to their new home.

I kinda like the skipping of “boring” story, in place of getting straight to the point.

I’d ask, do we really need to see ~100 people walk for 30+ days.
[automerge]1572756682[/automerge]
When it says rating, caution what actually is that in terms of 12 or 15 etc please?

I’d compare violence is on par with Game of Thrones, less over all sex, but the sex that is in it is overt (female masterbation and girl on girl oral). I think for 14/15 it’s fine. For 12, fast forward when the Queen wants to pray.

Last edited:

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
The fight scenes crack me up. How do blind people know who they are killing? With all the fighting, how do they not kill their own people by accident?

Perhaps they have developed a very accurate sense of smell so they can recognize their own kin? Maybe the paintings have that purpose assuming they have a specific and unique odor? That’d be a more or less good excuse for that. Far worse and unexplainable are their elaborate clothes, or wearing jewelry. What for if they’re blind? Or how did the kids learn to read without anyone to teach them how to? The third episode was kind of good but more for the action than for the storyline. The two first episodes were painful to watch being introduced to such nonsense.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Or how did the kids learn to read without anyone to teach them how to?
The books were placed in the box in order of complexity with simple beginner picture books on top.

By recognising familiar pictures of objects and associating with the sounds used for them in their every life they would then begin to understand the structure of written words.

They could then move on to more advanced books underneath the ones they’d just read

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
The books were placed in the box in order of complexity with simple beginner picture books on top.

By recognising familiar pictures of objects and associating with the sounds used for them in their every life they would then begin to understand the structure of written words.

They could then move on to more advanced books underneath the ones they’d just read

My thoughts too. Murrell, however his name is spelled, left instructions for the books on top to remain on top... Meaning start with the basic picture book, and figure it out. It sort of makes sense.

As for the scent of the people - there were a few mentions of different woods being burned to identify a tribe - I recall hemlock being mentioned and a couple of others.

I watched the three available episodes and thought it was well done. I wasn't expecting such mature content on AppleTV+, but there ya go.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
I know the Jerlamarel guy left the simpler books on top, still how does a child link each letter and syllable to their phonemes just by looking at pictures?

And the complex garments and jewelry, that remains kind of unexplainable. How do they weave their clothes? How to they craft their jewelry?

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
I know the Jerlamarel guy left the simpler books on top, still how does a child link each letter and syllable to their phonemes just by looking at pictures?

And the complex garments and jewelry, that remains kind of unexplainable. How do they weave their clothes? How to they craft their jewelry?
Hard to say without having seen the books they were reading but it actually doesn’t seem that much of a stretch. Doesn’t Rosetta Stone language learning work in a similar way by associating sounds with familiar pictures and seeing the written word?

No answers on the jewellery/clothing front

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
Why wouldn't blind folk have jewelry and costumes ? They can learn to weave - guide ropes in the village, their writing chords. They've built a society without sight. I would imagine the learning process was very difficult though.

Reactions: Ar40 and Wackery

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Why wouldn't blind folk have jewelry and costumes ? They can learn to weave - guide ropes in the village, their writing chords. They've built a society without sight. I would imagine the learning process was very difficult though.

unless jewelry provides something other than being nice to look at, it really doesn’t make sense for a society to care about it. There is really no point to wearing earrings lol.

I also found it really strange that the clothes of the council or whatever they are, where the queen is talking to them with the row of fire... are all color coordinated lmao.

Reactions: decypher44

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I guess I am the only one that found this show pretty unbelievable. I mean the grizzly bear scene? really? That bear would have had him for a snack...... without sight he would have been helpless against the ferocity of a grizzly. Heck even with sight and just that sword/knife he would have been dinner.

Reactions: MTShipp and Wackery

jsk108

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
Watching only three episodes, I already have strong yes or no-s about the series plot and how one dimensional, egomaniac and deprived of diversity of storytelling it feels. It raised already few red flags about the old boring american style of seeing things - fighting, insinuating wars, lack of vision, downgrading humanity.. nothing new and inspiring (yet). If that's how the future will be only portrait, no doubt why we're still stuck in the mud of "modern" television. I appreciated though the acting of some of the cast, but for now I don't see much of a great prospect for this show. Unless they really step up with the plot.. but we'll see..

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
I guess I am the only one that found this show pretty unbelievable. I mean the grizzly bear scene? really? That bear would have had him for a snack...... without sight he would have been helpless against the ferocity of a grizzly. Heck even with sight and just that sword/knife he would have been dinner.

You're not the only one. That's why its rating is dropping by the hour on IMDb. I wish I could sacrifice logic for the sake of enjoyment but this show exceeds the limits of the nonsense I may allow in order to do that.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
This is probably the dumbest show I’ve seen. Well the whole 10 mins I could tolerate of it.

I do wonder if this show was on Netflix would you even have heard it. Would you have watched it? That’s apples marketing at work. It’s the advantage these shows have right now.

But then again I wonder if anyone other than Apple would’ve spent millions making this. I don’t think this show exists without Apple being desperate for content. Apple is reduced to only being able to buy this kind of garbage because few want to risk being on atv or controlled by Apple who obviously has no idea what they’re doing.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Guess they developed their other senses, like smell and hearing ?

I only watched largely the first episode, not sure if I like it.
If that's the case, blind people today would be serving on the front line in a battle.
[automerge]1572807696[/automerge]

Why not just use the braille books? I'm sure there would have been enough blind people who survived the wipeout to teach others how to read and write braille. And there had to be some sighted people who survived, because someone would have had to help the first group of blind people being born to teach them braille too. It wasn't as if everyone became blind at once. The silliness is totally absurd.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You're not the only one. That's why its rating is dropping by the hour on IMDb. I wish I could sacrifice logic for the sake of enjoyment but this show exceeds the limits of the nonsense I may allow in order to do that.
I mean...it just common sense the things blind people couldn't do that they do on this show. Like riding horses...how would the horses know where to go if you don't steer them? Can't do that if you can't see :)

Last edited:

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
Did anyone else find it weird that the top guy in the tribe, their strongest warrior, is okay with adopting someone else‘s children? The story goes he’s infertile, but how would he know? Then at least there should be several disgruntled ex-wives adding dynamics to the storyline...

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
Why does the queen masterbate while she prays? Lmfao. I’m not sure how I feel. It’s like really good but also really dumb.

This is just a guess; masterbating may feel like a fire inside of you. So when she masterbatres, she is getting closer to the fire god (the sun). So if she wants to understand the god’s will, “praying” is.getting into a state of being that most resembles the fire god.

unless jewelry provides something other than being nice to look at, it really doesn’t make sense for a society to care about it. There is really no point to wearing earrings lol.

If notice, the jewelry is all very noisy. Metals and beads that provide sound. It is a way to communicate with others without talking. Just like when we put reflectors on bikes and clothes for night time walking/riding. The clothes also helps communicate. The smells that the tribe imparts, either directly (with fragrants), or indirectly (everyone in the village gets their clothes made by the same few people. So everyone should have a base smell that says “I’m part of this community”.)

It is the same way that when they are fighting in episode 1. The people chant and make clicks and pops that let your allies know your a friend. The foes have different armor and different ways of communicationg. Of course there is bound to be friendly fire. It happens with us and we can see what we are shooting at.

The fighting is a little unbelievable, but not by much. Baba Voss uses echo location tricks to confuse his enemies. He threw pebbles in an arc to hide his approach vector. He also threw his sword along the ground to make it sound like he as with his sword, not a moment behind it; this delay in timing allowed him to avoid the stike, but also let him know that he could do an attack once he got his sword back because he heard where his enemy struck.

I think we all need to not judge this show based on our abilites.

We have to remember, this is at least 10 generation of all people being blind. Natural selection says the people with extraordinary sense (the four remainging senses) would be able to pass their traits along much better than those with average senses. Overtime, leading to people gaining the ability to use echolocation, or smell the number of enemies and how fart away they are.

Did anyone else find it weird that the top guy in the tribe, their strongest warrior, is okay with adopting someone else‘s children? The story goes he’s infertile, but how would he know? Then at least there should be several disgruntled ex-wives adding dynamics to the storyline...

You must remember, the urge to pass on your legacy is very strong with animals, people included.

We have women now a days who will pregnent women, take the baby out of the now dead woman’s womb, and raise it as theirs (or sell it). It is not incomsivable for a man to want to pass on his lineage through any means, including if all he is passing on is his culture instead of it just being all about furthering his genes.
[automerge]1572837686[/automerge]
Apparently not that long because a sighted person built them a bridge to escape on.

It could be as simple as a gene random mutation that gave him immunity to the plague that took sight from mankind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.