Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
This doesn't exist yet, but I'm wondering if it's possible for Logitech to add a Siri Shortcut to the UE Boom app, that way instead of turning on your speaker by opening the app, you can turn it on by just telling Siri. Is this just a pipe dream or a real possibility?

Not only a possibility but how Apple wants this to work. But it’s up to Logitech to insert the necessary code to make it work. It’s not hard, but Logitech May prefer you use their app, for any number of reasons.

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
I
I thought it would be cool to get ideas from other users on how to leverage the power of shortcuts. Sometimes I have trouble thinking creatively and would love to hear ideas from others.

I’ll start with one I’m creating:

“Hey Siri - We’re all leaving now” (used when all the family is heading out for the day/night/weekend)
- turns off all living room and upstairs lights
- turns on couch lights (so it looks like someone is home)
- set all thermostats to “away mode”

I saw this on Reddit when Shortcuts was in Beta https://sharecuts.app There aren't too many on there yet but the list will probably grow. I have no doubt many sites like it will start popping up.

Edit: I just thought to have a look, and sure enough, there's a sub-reddit for shortcuts now .... https://www.reddit.com/r/shortcuts/

[doublepost=1537603467][/doublepost]

While Shortcuts are a lot of fun to create and use, the only problem for me is remembering all of the the verbal commands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iceage and GlenK

tks900

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
Am I wrong or is there no straightforward way to create a timer shortcut?? Something like a four minute timer for your coffee to brew? It seems the laundry timer and the tea timer make use of workarounds rather than the default timer app??

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Am I wrong or is there no straightforward way to create a timer shortcut?? Something like a four minute timer for your coffee to brew? It seems the laundry timer and the tea timer make use of workarounds rather than the default timer app??
If you set a timer in the clock app, it will become a Siri suggestion in Shortcuts but you can’t edit the time :(
4A2F362C-81F4-4B58-97AB-810D50A80071.jpeg

Reactions: tks900

tks900

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
If you set a timer in the clock app, it will become a Siri suggestion in Shortcuts but you can’t edit the time :(
View attachment 786825
Thanks!! That does help. But that makes it even weirder, doesn’t it? Why is this not possible in the app?? Look at the tea timer shortcut suggestion. They use the calculator (!) to indicate the seconds to count down. Why not use the timer? Why??

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Thanks!! That does help. But that makes it even weirder, doesn’t it? Why is this not possible in the app?? Look at the tea timer shortcut suggestion. They use the calculator (!) to indicate the seconds to count down. Why not use the timer? Why??
Yeah, it’s odd that Apple didnt bake in more Clock actions.

Related but separate, and goes out to anyone reading:

Clocks obviously supports shortcuts in the way that 3rd party apps can support it: you perform actions in the app and recent or regular actions can be donated to Siri, and then Siri can suggest that action as a shortcut in itself or as an action within a more complex shortcut. All good so far.

But what I had assumed was so, but now I’m not sure about, is whether apps can also add direct steps into the shortcut system that Shortcuts uses; ones that are configurable and have variables on them which can be set, or make use of input, or create new output.

Actions that are automatically added as Siri suggestions based on your actual activity in an app so far seem non-configurable; they can repeat an action you performed and not a variation on it. Inputs are simply passed on to outputs and not made use of.

I really want apps to be able to add their own configurable steps. I’m not sure they can though :(
[doublepost=1537640429][/doublepost]Also: while there are some configurable steps for 3rd party apps, I think these are baked in by Apple rather than integrated by the actual 3rd party app developers. Reasons for thinking this are that some were there before apps had updated for iOS 12, and also this comment on the Instagram one which heavily suggests Instagram didn’t add it.

EBFCB83A-4CAE-4F96-9282-FA0203AF2E83.jpeg

Last edited:

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Shortcuts can only be triggered by you clicking on it, or telling Siri to run it. There's no other way. There are no automatic triggers; they can't even be linked to calendar events or alarms/timers.

The only solution is to get a third party app launcher app and use that to do the triggering.
Can you name the launcher app to be exact which can trigger shortcuts app? thanks

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
No. I just read on these forums that people are using a launcher app! I don't have one. I'm just waiting with fingers crossed that Apple decides to add triggers to shortcuts in the near future.

The fact the shortcuts app is separately downloadable, rather than being baked into iOS, makes me hopeful that there'll be regular updates to it.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I’ve not used a launcher app either but as far as I’m aware the best they offer is being able to configure location based notifications which, when you tap on that notification to go into the launcher app, automatically launch the shortcut. It’s not as if you can just leave your phone completely and expect shortcuts to happen based on location alone. There’s still a manual interactive element.

I think fundamentally an app can’t launch another in the background so really we just need this stuff baked into Shortcuts.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I’ve not used a launcher app either but as far as I’m aware the best they offer is being able to configure location based notifications which, when you tap on that notification to go into the launcher app, automatically launch the shortcut. It’s not as if you can just leave your phone completely and expect shortcuts to happen based on location alone. There’s still a manual interactive element.

I think fundamentally an app can’t launch another in the background so really we just need this stuff baked into Shortcuts.

And I think it may be awhile before Apple allows completely automatic Shortcuts. There’s a lot of potential for problems there. I can be at my neighbor’s home and get repeated requests from HomeKit asking me to run my “I’m Home” scene. Imagine if that were a Shortcut using the same geo-fence: I’d come home and my garage door would be burned out from constantly going up and down.

Until GPS/location is always accurate to within 3 meters, this sort of thing will be a problem.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
And I think it may be awhile before Apple allows completely automatic Shortcuts. There’s a lot of potential for problems there. I can be at my neighbor’s home and get repeated requests from HomeKit asking me to run my “I’m Home” scene. Imagine if that were a Shortcut using the same geo-fence: I’d come home and my garage door would be burned out from constantly going up and down.

Until GPS/location is always accurate to within 3 meters, this sort of thing will be a problem.
Yeah. I completely understand why this isn’t a feature now, it would be quite a departure from Apple’s usual ethos of not allowing too much to be happening in the background for battery reasons. Then you add what Shortcuts is capable of- like the HomeKit example you give- and you have a variety of potential problems.

I agree it won’t come for a while if at all, and if it does come it’ll be part of some well measured set of background APIs that still impose some restrictions or something.

Reactions: gwhizkids

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I made this UK based one for splitting a bill. It will ask the total price, how many people and if you want to round up to the nearest £5 each. It will then tell you how much each and what the tip will be (in £ and %). Siri reads all the values out to you as well.
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a3dc36cae2ec464b848feb61b6b05221
Nice, thanks!

Regarding your last sentence, the first speech is read by Siri but then it jumps into the app and then all speech is the more robotic voice. Do you experience something different?

(In any case I may just remove the speech and run this from the widget only which is a great experience, does it all within the widget.)

Reactions: stoplis

stoplis

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Nice, thanks!

Regarding your last sentence, the first speech is read by Siri but then it jumps into the app and then all speech is the more robotic voice. Do you experience something different?

(In any case I may just remove the speech and run this from the widget only which is a great experience, does it all within the widget.)
That just seems to be just how Shortcuts seem to work.

Reactions: GreyOS

sterumbelow

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
Why do Siri and the widget button act differently when running a shortcut?

I’ve got a really basic one set up. I have a command that shows a menu of options to set my alarms for work. The menu asks “what time do you start work?” (my hours vary) and the selected option sets the relevant alarms.

From the widget, this works flawlessly. One tap, select start time. End.

Using Siri with the command launches the shortcuts app, shows the menu, then shows the action as run (it’s unselected in the shortcut) and then launches the clock app.

Anything I’m doing wrong?

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I made this UK based one for splitting a bill. It will ask the total price, how many people and if you want to round up to the nearest £5 each. It will then tell you how much each and what the tip will be (in £ and %). Siri reads all the values out to you as well.
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a3dc36cae2ec464b848feb61b6b05221

Is it easy to remove the Siri speaking part? Not sure I’d want it at a restaurant table. Great shortcut though
Edit - super easy to remove, just did it :)

Is there any way to access notifications? I’d like a home/work widget to enable or disable eg slack/outlook notifications. Doesn’t need to be a toggle - happy to have separate widgets

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Is it easy to remove the Siri speaking part? Not sure I’d want it at a restaurant table. Great shortcut though
Edit - super easy to remove, just did it :)

Is there any way to access notifications? I’d like a home/work widget to enable or disable eg slack/outlook notifications. Doesn’t need to be a toggle - happy to have separate widgets

Unfortunately it’s not that granular yet. You can set Do Not Disturb but that would affect all notifications, not just on an app by app basis.

Reactions: mrklaw

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Unfortunately it’s not that granular yet. You can set Do Not Disturb but that would affect all notifications, not just on an app by app basis.

thanks. Maybe some of the app makers could expose notification switching to shortcuts?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
thanks. Maybe some of the app makers could expose notification switching to shortcuts?
Are you able to disable notifications from within Slack now? If so, try doing that and then go to Settings>Siri & Search>Siri Suggestions and see if that action appears there. If it does, you can turn that into a Shortcut.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Here’s one I created that lets you automatically text someone you’re traveling to visit with your current location and how long until you arrive. The best part is that you input their name using Siri!

Note: The contact has to be in your address book with a street address.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/3762ec7d36ef4a96866b438254252880

This is a great shortcut, I got your updated one a few posts down. My only issue is that it won’t hear my voice when connected to Bluetooth in my car. Must be looking for the interal mic instead of the cars. Any idea?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Been a VERY busy week. Gone through 7 pages thus far and I’m VERY surprised nobody mentioned nor tried this idea yet

Shortcut Task: prevent 1-8xx/9xx calls from alerting or ringing, just send to voicemail or provide a failed DND signal.

Why: DND iOS function will deny all calls and texts in a specific timeframe, and will only allow favourites yet using a FULL phone number, email from a contact you’ve saved.

This entire 3wks I’ve been slammed by employers (job hunting), and first newbie recruiters using “No Caller ID” (blocked ID), or 1-8xx numbers (telemarketers) calling me fat too many times. Unfortunately the previous owner to my number posted this on Google+ account and hasn’t frequent their site enough nor deleting it. (Childcare or hospital workers trying to reach a female mother is excruciatingly annoying, especially after 8mths!)

Is it possible to have a Shortcut deny numbers in a range without invoking iOS DND function and disabling sms?
[doublepost=1537930332][/doublepost]
Instructional video on Shortcuts from one of the Workflow guys, Matthew Cassinelli

Excellent thank you!

Thanks. probably true but hopefully someone kind can find a work around. I'm trying to create an "At The Gym" shortcut. Opens Health app, opens SiriusXM, then disables wifi. Can't seem to get it to work. I've tried Wait (at various seconds), Return, and pause. Nothing works so far..

Interesting. Looking to see how you do with this when you share it. Although I’ll be modifying it subtly:

At The Gym:
Connect to gym WiFi
Launch “Strong!” Workout app, prompt for workout (provide list)
(When I finish my weight training, this app syncs workout data to iPhone while it’s in locker at my gym over wifi),
Stop playing iTunes on phone
(I use public transit so music playback is from iPhone, until I’m at gym using watch),
Play Watch playlist - prompt for Day 1/2/3.

Finish workout, prompt to fill protein shaker bottle with water,
Launch “Transit app” to find next bus route home.
Stop playing Watch Playlist,
Start iTunes iOS playlist.

(Finally figured out a Great worthwhile Shortcut for me - just now have to figure out how this will work when I get Watch in 2wks).

Reactions: GlenK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.