Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
I do believe you are correct! Sorry!
[doublepost=1538142099][/doublepost]
Unfortunately, Shortcuts won't do anything automatically in the sense you're referring to. You would still have to invoke the Shortcut to create the reminder. In addition, there does not appear to be any action capable of scraping a phone number from the call log to populate the reminder. Probably the best you can do right now is create a shortcut that you would invoke after a missed call where you could use the "Dictate Text" command to input the person's name and then pass that into a Create Reminder action.

Well one thing I noticed is that when I have a call coming in I can hit “Remind Me” in the bottom left and it will give me options of “when I leave”, “in one hour”, etc. I’d like to be able to trigger that but after I’ve already missed the call. For me it sometimes gets lost in all the notifications.

Attachments

• 1E5045FC-BEC8-48DF-9BFE-3B164CCE3442.jpeg
    1E5045FC-BEC8-48DF-9BFE-3B164CCE3442.jpeg
    571.7 KB · Views: 301

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
[doublepost=1538375234][/doublepost]There's a police shortcut that will automatically send your location to a contact, turn on front facing cam, and dim the screen and a bunch of other things that I saw mentioned on a youtube video a few days ago. However I am unable to locate that shortcut. If anyone here knows where I may find that, please do share it. Thanks a bunch.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Regarding this: you do need to dictate a contact in your Contacts app and they do need to have a street address.

What is happening when you dictate a contact name? I just tried it again and it works for me.

Mine got buggy this weekend. First few error massages said something about unknown location, then the massage turned to some programming error code or something. Sorry not helpful. I deleted and added it again and it’s working or I would post the error message

Retroglide08

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Is there a shortcut, that can log my arrival time at home onto that specific day on my calendar.
Have tried myself but haven’t a clue

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
Reactions: 212rikanmofo

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Is there a shortcut, that can log my arrival time at home onto that specific day on my calendar.
Have tried myself but haven’t a clue

Shortcuts, by itself, cannot do anything that calls for automatic triggering.

However, the following does what you’re looking for, I think, if you’re willing to manually trigger it. Just insert your own calendar where I have inserted “Ask when run” You can add the Siri phrase “I’m Home” or something like that to trigger the Shortcut.

2bae080984cee7b3935b025b9963671f.png

Here’s a link to the actual Shorcut:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/7141ef667f1c4efda6f5eda030ff67a0

Last edited:

Retroglide08

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Shortcuts, by itself, cannot do anything that calls for automatic triggering.

However, the following does what you’re looking for, I think, if you’re willing to manually trigger it. Just insert your own calendar where I have inserted “Ask when run” You can add the Siri phrase “I’m Home” or something like that to trigger the Shortcut.

2bae080984cee7b3935b025b9963671f.png

Here’s a link to the actual Shorcut:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/7141ef667f1c4efda6f5eda030ff67a0
That’s actually perfect. Thank you so much

Reactions: gwhizkids

says_stuff

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2017
Trying to keep a log of my reading habits in a text file.

Made a “start reading” shortcut that asks me what i am reading and adds it with current date and time to a txt file in icloud.

Stuck in the “stop reading” shortcut because i can’t get shortcutsapp to get that last logged reading date and time from the earlier text mentioned and calculate the difference (net reading time) so it would say “you stopped reading after x minutes”. Any ideas please?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Trying to keep a log of my reading habits in a text file.

Made a “start reading” shortcut that asks me what i am reading and adds it with current date and time to a txt file in icloud.

Stuck in the “stop reading” shortcut because i can’t get shortcutsapp to get that last logged reading date and time from the earlier text mentioned and calculate the difference (net reading time) so it would say “you stopped reading after x minutes”. Any ideas please?

Split Text with the separator as New Lines, Get Item from List pointed to the Last Item, and then Get Dates from Input.

IMG_0056.jpg

Then get the current date/time again, and follow it with Get Time Between Dates set to other and pointed to the date from the input.

IMG_0057.jpg

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Guys.. I feel so incompetent here. I am trying to edit the Home ETA shortcut to simply open Apple or Google maps after I text the wife my ETA.

However, when I use the “Open Directions” it doesn’t seem to pull the original location?

Seems so simple, yet I’m struggling to find an easy way..

Edit/ found it. Didn’t know I could add the first address step again. All good!

Last edited:

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
Well one thing I noticed is that when I have a call coming in I can hit “Remind Me” in the bottom left and it will give me options of “when I leave”, “in one hour”, etc. I’d like to be able to trigger that but after I’ve already missed the call. For me it sometimes gets lost in all the notifications.

Anyone have any take on this? It must exist since Apple’s already doing it.

OMGitsDaYisus

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2016
Spain
I've recently made my very first shortcut thanks to this forum community . This shortcut entails drawing/writing into a piece of paper and sharing or saving it into your device. To sum up it just edits a .html page (which background color has been previously chosen) and lets you share or delete it. Please send back your feedback and check the comment inside the shortcut. I strongly recommend to use it from the widget.

Download link: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/58c8368d183b476baa1461778169d0c6

Last edited:
Reactions: Jessica Lares

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Is there no way to use a variable or text (dictated input) to search and get a contact? The only Shortcut option I see is Contacts: Select (Multiple) which displays the contacts app and lets you select one. I would like a way to do this while driving or not looking at the phone to add some automated tasks that require a contact.

vtboyarc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2011
For you photographers out there, here’s a Shortcut that a former Workflow team member and I just collaborated on: tells you the Golden Hour for sunset today and sunrise tomorrow.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/28f9ee1de38249dcbfd6c165d115b8ac

(Thanks Matt if you’re reading this!)

Matt C? If so, I’ve gotten a Shortcut from him that’s very similar, but uses Dark Sky - I like how this one uses the new weather stuff from the 2.1 beta! Love the Shortcut!

I made this one today, calculates the total surface area and cost per square inch of two pizzas so you can see which is a better deal!
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/607f2266e2c34da3870824158a29e41e

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Hi is there/could I create a shortcut for my iPhone to start playing music through my car Bluetooth fm transmitter when my engine starts ? Rather than me starting the music from my phone manually each time.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Omg. No wonder I can’t make a shortcut. It’s so many commands things I have no idea what they do either

Play with it. That’s what I did. Also follow people on Twitter who have good tips. @matthewcassinelli @federicoviticci

It’s not that hard to get the basics. Best tip I’ve heard is from Federico Viticci: start by inserting your first action and your last action. Then figure out how to get from A to B. Usually there’s more than one way.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Hi is there/could I create a shortcut for my iPhone to start playing music through my car Bluetooth fm transmitter when my engine starts ? Rather than me starting the music from my phone manually each time.

Unfortunately there are no time/location/event based triggers. Yet.

You have to manually start a shortcut.

That said, create a shortcut that starts your music, when you say “Hey Siri, play music!”

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
[doublepost=1538375234][/doublepost]There's a police shortcut that will automatically send your location to a contact, turn on front facing cam, and dim the screen and a bunch of other things that I saw mentioned on a youtube video a few days ago. However I am unable to locate that shortcut. If anyone here knows where I may find that, please do share it. Thanks a bunch.
How do you trigger shortcuts? Would you have to open your phone, go to the Shortcuts app and click on the shortcut to make this work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.