Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frebac

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2018
Now here is a real challenge, even Apple support wasnt sure if this was doable :)

The scenario is that I often forget to activate my parking-app when I arrive to work.
To launch the app when I get to a specific address is easy, but since I pass by that area several times each day it want work. So I need a combination of what I have seen you can do in Reminder when you create a reminder when bluetooth connection is lost with the car and a location before the app is launched.
Anyone know how to set this up in shortcuts?:)

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
When I run a shortcut (from the widget) that takes a number input, it opens the shortcuts app. Is there any way to add a final step to my shortcut recipe to have it go back to the iOS home screen?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
When I run a shortcut (from the widget) that takes a number input, it opens the shortcuts app. Is there any way to add a final step to my shortcut recipe to have it go back to the iOS home screen?
I get number input in the widget

Attachments

• 9B0E29D0-BE22-4F3B-A9FC-06FC9B3D1557.jpeg
    9B0E29D0-BE22-4F3B-A9FC-06FC9B3D1557.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 215

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
This is a great shortcut, I got your updated one a few posts down. My only issue is that it won’t hear my voice when connected to Bluetooth in my car. Must be looking for the interal mic instead of the cars. Any idea?

It did work for me during the beta using the car microphone. As I discovered yesterday, however, it now won’t work for me using CarPlay. I hope that’s a bug not a feature!

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
Now here is a real challenge, even Apple support wasnt sure if this was doable :)

The scenario is that I often forget to activate my parking-app when I arrive to work.
To launch the app when I get to a specific address is easy, but since I pass by that area several times each day it want work. So I need a combination of what I have seen you can do in Reminder when you create a reminder when bluetooth connection is lost with the car and a location before the app is launched.
Anyone know how to set this up in shortcuts?:)

When you have the shortcut set to go off at the desired location, try adding a wait script of like a minute? Then check location again? Then if the location was the same you could have it run the app you wanted, not sure if that would work exactly but that’s the idea I had behind your problem.

I have a work hours tracking app, and it has the similar idea, will clock me in when I arrive at a site, but if I leave within a ten minute time frame it will automatically cancel the clock in.

Last edited:

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
I created a shortcut that gets the travel time but it uses Google Maps (Apple Maps) is basically useless where I live. I will share it later.
Can you share this? I bike a lot and I’d like to have the biking eta, Apple doesn’t have this.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
This is a want and maybe I will figure it out as my skills improve:

A shortcut to read unread texts through the internal speakers when connected to Bluetooth.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
This is a want and maybe I will figure it out as my skills improve:

A shortcut to read unread texts through the internal speakers when connected to Bluetooth.

Right now you’re not able to direct audio output. Also, Shortcuts can send messages but not read them (likely for privacy related reasons).

Frebac

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2018
When you have the shortcut set to go off at the desired location, try adding a wait script of like a minute? Then check location again? Then if the location was the same you could have it run the app you wanted, not sure if that would work exactly but that’s the idea I had behind your problem.

I have a work hours tracking app, and it has the similar idea, will clock me in when I arrive at a site, but if I leave within a ten minute time frame it will automatically cancel the clock in.

Well, not a bad idea I think. The only challenge would be if I have a call ongoing when parking and sitting in the car for 5min. But I guess a first check and then a second check after 5min might do the trick. Now I just need to learn how to build that scenario in shortcuts :)
Its a petty that you cant get access to the same objects used for normal Reminders where you have default options to check for bluetooth connections activates or deactivates with the car
[doublepost=1538073658][/doublepost]
Well, not a bad idea I think. The only challenge would be if I have a call ongoing when parking and sitting in the car for 5min. But I guess a first check and then a second check after 5min might do the trick. Now I just need to learn how to build that scenario in shortcuts :)
Its a petty that you cant get access to the same objects used for normal Reminders where you have default options to check for bluetooth connections activates or deactivates with the car

When I start thinking about it, can you really have an action checking for position unless you have activated the shortcut by pressing it?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
[doublepost=1538073658][/doublepost]

When I start thinking about it, can you really have an action checking for position unless you have activated the shortcut by pressing it?

Reminders firing at a location can’t get you fired, divorces, etc... Shortcuts fired off that way have that potential.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Having this issue on a simple shortcut. All it does it get current song and add it to a particular playlist. Weirdly enough.. it usually adds the previous song played. and if I run it again. It adds the current song. It’s weird. Anyone else having problems with the get current song action

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks. Siri can read texts though? You can’t create a shortcut to tell Siri to read texts?

No. Sorry.

All the actions Shortcuts is capable of are listed in the app. A good way to start learning Shortcuts is to spend a lot of time in that list and reading the little info bubble detailing what each action does.

dawso1ba

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Does anyone now how I can find my wife’s location and have it notify me when she leaves her current location? An ETA home from her current location would be a bonus! I’ve found the shortcut for find my friends but no clue how to do the rest.

Leggee

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
Japan
Does anyone now how I can find my wife’s location and have it notify me when she leaves her current location? An ETA home from her current location would be a bonus! I’ve found the shortcut for find my friends but no clue how to do the rest.
Surely the locations would be constantly changing? Anyway I think it's been mentioned above that there's no geocaching just now so it's impossible without using a launcher app. Would it not be easier just messaging her and asking when she'll be home?

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
I’m still in the process of reading thru all the awesome shortcut ideas here. This is really too cool.

I usually forget to call people back when I miss/ignore their call. I want to make a shortcut where when I miss a call it automatically puts a reminder for a predetermined amount of time to call that number back. Does that seem possible?

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium

Can be done with the Find My Friends app, but you'll have to enable it manually every day. No clue if there are shortcuts for Find My Friends. iPhone is charging across the room and I'm too lazy to go check ;-)

stoplis

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Having this issue on a simple shortcut. All it does it get current song and add it to a particular playlist. Weirdly enough.. it usually adds the previous song played. and if I run it again. It adds the current song. It’s weird. Anyone else having problems with the get current song action
If you add a “Play Music” at the start it will fix it.

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I’m still in the process of reading thru all the awesome shortcut ideas here. This is really too cool.

I usually forget to call people back when I miss/ignore their call. I want to make a shortcut where when I miss a call it automatically puts a reminder for a predetermined amount of time to call that number back. Does that seem possible?

Unfortunately, not possible. Your wife could have a Shortcut like that on her phone to let you know, however.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I created a shortcut to show my coffee Dunkin Donuts wallet card. I can’t recall how I did this, but I’m fairly certain if was there or suggested as an option when messing around creating shortcuts.

I would love to create a similar shortcut for my gym wallet pass, but for the life of me, I can’t figure out how. I thought I could copy the DD shortcut and edit it, but it is not an option.

Any ideas?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I think you quoted the wrong post.
I do believe you are correct! Sorry!
[doublepost=1538142099][/doublepost]

Unfortunately, Shortcuts won't do anything automatically in the sense you're referring to. You would still have to invoke the Shortcut to create the reminder. In addition, there does not appear to be any action capable of scraping a phone number from the call log to populate the reminder. Probably the best you can do right now is create a shortcut that you would invoke after a missed call where you could use the "Dictate Text" command to input the person's name and then pass that into a Create Reminder action.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Can someone create a shortcut app, that will scan your calendar to see if there are any birthdays on the current day and if so bring up a message prompt with a built in message saying "happy birthday <name>, wishing you the best!"

Kind of like on Facebook where it will auto notify you if there are any upcoming birthdays, and then give you a message window to write a message.
[doublepost=1538201198][/doublepost]
I made this UK based one for splitting a bill. It will ask the total price, how many people and if you want to round up to the nearest £5 each. It will then tell you how much each and what the tip will be (in £ and %). Siri reads all the values out to you as well.
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a3dc36cae2ec464b848feb61b6b05221

This is awesome, could you please do one for American USD currency? We usually tip between 10%-15% here.
[doublepost=1538201912][/doublepost]
Here’s one I created that lets you automatically text someone you’re traveling to visit with your current location and how long until you arrive. The best part is that you input their name using Siri!

Note: The contact has to be in your address book with a street address.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/3762ec7d36ef4a96866b438254252880

I don't understand how to get this shortcut working. When i run it, it prompts me to dictate something. I've tried saying a name in my contact, an address, location, but it's not working. What am I suppose to say here?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I don't understand how to get this shortcut working. When i run it, it prompts me to dictate something. I've tried saying a name in my contact, an address, location, but it's not working. What am I suppose to say here?

Regarding this: you do need to dictate a contact in your Contacts app and they do need to have a street address.

What is happening when you dictate a contact name? I just tried it again and it works for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.