Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
how do you trigger a shortcut with Siri? is there a name for each shortcut that you can ask Siri to implement?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
how do you trigger a shortcut with Siri? is there a name for each shortcut that you can ask Siri to implement?

That’s exactly how it works.

Tap the little button on your Shortcut page

789e0d2cd9eb54cd8905d2fe02ee6905.png

Then tap on Siri phrase and create whatever phrase you want to use for Siri to invoke your Shortcut.

e7316b9e7b435697378ba24b733f2037.png

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Can someone help me create a simple shortcut that will do the following, basically I want it to automatically message a specific person in my contacts at a certain time to send them a message to wake them up. For example, my girlfriend wants me to send her a message to wake her up at 7pm. I want this to be automated.

So it would prompt me 'who the intended message is suppose to go to', and then 'what the message should say', and finally 'when the message should be sent'

I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Would appreciate some help.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Can someone help me create a simple shortcut that will do the following, basically I want it to automatically message a specific person in my contacts at a certain time to send them a message to wake them up. For example, my girlfriend wants me to send her a message to wake her up at 7pm. I want this to be automated.

So it would prompt me 'who the intended message is suppose to go to', and then 'what the message should say', and finally 'when the message should be sent'

I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Would appreciate some help.

Alas, Shortcuts can’t be automated by time or location yet. You could build the message sending Shortcut though and then use the Share Shortcut feature to put it in your reminders for the desired time.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Alas, Shortcuts can’t be automated by time or location yet. You could build the message sending Shortcut though and then use the Share Shortcut feature to put it in your reminders for the desired time.

Oh thats a shame, I hope that Apple will make it so that you can automatically perform a shortcut based on time.

But what do you mean use the share shortcut feature and put it into my reminders, could you please elaborate on that. Thanks!

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Is it possible to set up a shortcut so that if one says to Siri 'Drink coffee' then x amounts of caffeine and y amounts of water are logged into health?

aggiesrwe03

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
TEXAS
Is there a way to continue a shortcut already in progress by closing an app? For example I'm building a wake up short cut to open weather channel app as soon as I run the good morning shortcut, next I have a menu set to prompt me to open news or my local news app. The problem is that it will only prompt me with the menu if I return to the shortcuts app which I do not want to do. Is there a workaround so that as soon as I close the weather channel app it'll run the menu to open my news apps.? I can't seem to find a way to "if I close weather, open menu."

Attachments

• E5C2BDCD-0199-4D07-B437-ED19CD968365.png
    E5C2BDCD-0199-4D07-B437-ED19CD968365.png
    436.1 KB · Views: 196
  • 6093942E-45A1-4C33-9C83-844007A96EE2.png
    6093942E-45A1-4C33-9C83-844007A96EE2.png
    494.3 KB · Views: 158

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Oh thats a shame, I hope that Apple will make it so that you can automatically perform a shortcut based on time.

But what do you mean use the share shortcut feature and put it into my reminders, could you please elaborate on that. Thanks!

I hope so too.

Here’s an article about this ==> https://www.cultofmac.com/565129/how-to-run-siri-shortcuts-from-reminder-alerts/amp/

You set this up by selecting the settings button at top right of your Shortcut

b2046d2bfe68ba2cea367dfd793a6c18.png

Then selecting the Share Shortcut command:

c2fe9973ba2febf194d2105c8abba79a.png

And then selecting Reminders from the Share Sheet.

Note: this should pop up a reminder for you at the time you designate and allow you to tap the icon, which will then start the shortcut. Unfortunately, I’ve tried this out, but it is asking me to import the Shortcut, rather than to run one (it will then run the Shortcut, but having to “import” the Shortcut adds one more unnecessary step, but also will add a second instance of your Shortcut to your library. Obviously undesirable. However I am running Shortcuts beta 2.1, so that may be a bug in that beta and it may work just fine for you. It should work as a set out in the article. Post back here how it goes.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Okay guys I'm missing the obvious here.... I'm looking to get FTTT shortcuts working, I've got all the parts I need from maker, but on creating the shortcut I can't work out how to embed the text fields in the URL shortcut:

upload_2018-10-7_15-23-52.png

That is the bits I've highlighted in the above, the IFTTT Trigger and the Key variable.

I'm looking at the tutorial here and that shows what looks like text fields presented ahead of the URL but I can't see a way or naming the fields, and once named passing the variable name into the string in the URL field.

vtboyarc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2011
I made this Shortcut for myself but figured others might find it handy.

I’ve always heard and my vet told me the same, that if the temperature + humidity is over 150, you should not run with your dog. They are more easily susceptible to heat stroke than humans (all that fur!).

So I made a Shortcut to do that for me! Keep in mind, this is on the Shortcuts 2.1 beta and using the new built in weather actions, so this won’t work if you’re not on the beta.

Let me know if you have any feedback/suggestions!

Link: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/fa54ddaae64e436bb208fd7ef84015cd

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I made this Shortcut for myself but figured others might find it handy.

I’ve always heard and my vet told me the same, that if the temperature + humidity is over 150, you should not run with your dog. They are more easily susceptible to heat stroke than humans (all that fur!).

So I made a Shortcut to do that for me! Keep in mind, this is on the Shortcuts 2.1 beta and using the new built in weather actions, so this won’t work if you’re not on the beta.

Let me know if you have any feedback/suggestions!

Link: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/fa54ddaae64e436bb208fd7ef84015cd

Just saw this over at Reddit. Good one!

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I’ve noticed we’re getting a lot of “can you tell me how to make x Shortcut “ posts. I think we may need a separate thread for these (or posters should use the Shortcuts help thread for this).

But I would note that the best way to learn shortcuts is to use shortcuts. At the very least, familiarize yourselves with the basic capabilities of Shortcuts before asking questions here. I’ll say this, Shortcuts is not the answer to every jailbreak or Android mod out there. The number of “Can Shortcuts find me magic unicorn dust?”-type posts gets a bit tiresome after awhile.

And, finally, the biggest thing is: you have to manually trigger Shortcuts. They will not trigger at a certain time or place or when something happens. (There are ways to do this, but if you have to ask, they’re probably not for you). Give it time. Apple will probably make those kinds of triggers available in the future (though there may be some good security reasons why not to).

Reactions: vtboyarc and Nugget

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
How do you guys get Shortcuts 2.1 beta?
[doublepost=1538972079][/doublepost]
I hope so too.

Here’s an article about this ==> https://www.cultofmac.com/565129/how-to-run-siri-shortcuts-from-reminder-alerts/amp/

You set this up by selecting the settings button at top right of your Shortcut

b2046d2bfe68ba2cea367dfd793a6c18.png

Then selecting the Share Shortcut command:

c2fe9973ba2febf194d2105c8abba79a.png

And then selecting Reminders from the Share Sheet.

Note: this should pop up a reminder for you at the time you designate and allow you to tap the icon, which will then start the shortcut. Unfortunately, I’ve tried this out, but it is asking me to import the Shortcut, rather than to run one (it will then run the Shortcut, but having to “import” the Shortcut adds one more unnecessary step, but also will add a second instance of your Shortcut to your library. Obviously undesirable. However I am running Shortcuts beta 2.1, so that may be a bug in that beta and it may work just fine for you. It should work as a set out in the article. Post back here how it goes.

Thanks, I appreciate the help! :)

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
How do you guys get Shortcuts 2.1 beta?
[doublepost=1538972079][/doublepost]

Thanks, I appreciate the help! :)

To get the 2.1 beta you have to be registered in the Apple Developer program. If you are, you go to the Downloads page on the developer portal. There is a request button there for the Shortcuts 2.1 beta. You select that and if you ere picked as a tester, you will get an invite from Test Flight.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
re the 2.1 beta: Does anyone have it? Anything new and exciting? For example automatic triggers, ability to update stuff, a new Siri who understands what I say etc. :)

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
re the 2.1 beta: Does anyone have it? Anything new and exciting? For example automatic triggers, ability to update stuff, a new Siri who understands what I say etc. :)

I have it.

Probably the most exciting thing is the ability to get weather conditions/forecasts. This is actually a pretty useful feature for integrating into things like ThermoWatch (operating Nest thermostat), etc...

Some new app integrations for obscure (to me) apps: 2do, Captio, Clear, Day One, Due, The Hit List, Things (have heard of that!), Todoist and Wunderlist.

No automatic triggers. Probably not til v3.0 at earliest, I’d think.

No, no Siri. Same old Siri we know and love!

Reactions: adrianlondon

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Wow it is getting some hate tho! People are quit picky, might not share anymore over there haha
They just don't like the 150 concept or are critical of how the Shortcut is put together? It is a tough crowd there, for sure.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Created a shortcut for expense reporting. When triggered, it opens the camera so you can take a picture of a receipt. The photo is saved to an “Expense” album. Then you are prompted for the date (defaulting to the current date), the amount of the expense and a description. Then, using IFTTT’s Maker Webhooks, this info is posted to a Google spreadsheet.

The shortcut link is:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/c9e053ff8a5a4e709a684f72c437b112

A link to the description of how to create the spreadsheet (by Federico Viticci) is here:

https://www.macstories.net/ios/how-to-trigger-ifttt-applets-with-ios-12s-new-shortcuts-app-and-siri/

hortod1

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
New to shortcuts, so please bear with me.

Anyone know how to create a shortcut to connect a Bluetooth device? I’ve got a Bluetooth speaker at home and I usually play music to it from my phone. But when I’m not playing to it I prefer it disconnects so I don’t have to listen to misc phone noises through it. So in short, I want to say, “hey siri, connect to onyx 4” (or “disconnect from onyx 4”).

Thoughts?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
New to shortcuts, so please bear with me.

Anyone know how to create a shortcut to connect a Bluetooth device? I’ve got a Bluetooth speaker at home and I usually play music to it from my phone. But when I’m not playing to it I prefer it disconnects so I don’t have to listen to misc phone noises through it. So in short, I want to say, “hey siri, connect to onyx 4” (or “disconnect from onyx 4”).

Thoughts?

You can turn your iPhone's or iPad’s Bluetooth on or off from Shortcuts, but you can’t direct it to connect or disconnect from a particular device (without using a helper, like Webhooks from IFTTT). Read the link from Macstories that I posted just above your post. That actually details how to connect to a Sonos using Shortcuts and IFTTT, so it may work for you, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.