Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nothing Phone (2)

• Yes

Votes: 27 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 129 85.4%

• Total voters

francoismatronis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2023
I think it's a phone

...what else did you want me to say? It's just a phone lmao. You wanna switch to Android with the Nothing Phone (2) being your first Android, knock yourself out. Be sure to let us know what you think of it though. :)

Is it a good phone to start with Android for the first time?

I love the LEDs on the back. It has real function.

francoismatronis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2023
Wouldn't know. I've never used an Android

So have fun going in sight unseen and let us know how you like it. Blind first impressions are the best

Ah ok! I thought this sub-forum was for Android smartphone users who use other Apple products.

I'm an Apple guy all the way so it would be a huge step for me to abandon my iPhone 14 Pro Max. Also love the seamless experiences across all my Apple devices.

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
I think using one of these 3 things might do a better job:

80d3007c08ca69441df475f9c0cdbfb0.jpg

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
For $599 the Nothing Phone 2 is a nice vanilla Android smartphone, sort of like a modern Nexus phone, not top of the line, but still very good specs, running stock Android so it will be smooth.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Android has always had nice hardware(well the last 8-10 years anyway) but the software has always left plenty to be desired. Even with all the features it may have, it always feels half-baked and average at best.

The nothing phone looks to be a gimmick at best and largely will be irrelvant.

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Just know Android Auto sucks a$$. There’s many threads about  music, Spotify and YouTube music not showing peoples full library’s when either choosing artist or album.

• Wow
Reactions: nowtvman

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Is it a good phone to start with Android for the first time?

I love the LEDs on the back. It has real function.

Seems like a pretty good spec for the price, plus you get a feature that no iPhone has.

I'd say go for it and give android a try. If you can afford it why not. I've switched back and forth a few times and I'm currently on android for two main reasons; value and the ability to install apps from outside the playstore.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Just know Android Auto sucks a$$. There’s many threads about  music, Spotify and YouTube music not showing peoples full library’s when either choosing artist or album.
Android Auto works great for me 🤷‍♂️. I haven't used those though, i use SiriusXM and Amazon music with it and it's been great.

Reactions: nowtvman

tcatsninfan

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2022
I think Carl Pei is a great showman, a master marketeer, but that doesn't mean I think he makes good products. He does a lot of doublespeak, saying that Nothing will be better than Apple but then also saying that Nothing should copy Apple.

The Nothing phones are...fine. This new one has a waterproof rating, which is better than the first one. The glyphs are a gimmick, something being used to set Nothing apart from the sea of other Android phones. Never in all my years of smartphones have I seen anyone put their phone face down on a surface. The basic concept is flawed: why put the front side face down, the side that shows you full information and the side that would be bad if it got scratched, in favor of looking at glyphs which only communicate basic info like the fact that you've received a message but doesn't show any actual content?

The clear back looks cool even though about half of the inside components you see aren't real components but just things they put in to make the phone look interesting.

Ultimately, using Android means moving away from the Apple ecosystem in favor of more customization. Some people like that, some people don't. Some Android phones are good, some are not. Usually, but not always, there's some downside to Android phones. Some Android manufacturers have limited software updates. Some Android phones have weak cameras. And so on.

You do you. I think the issue with the Nothing phones at this point is servicing: they're new to the market, so if you have problems you'll probably be mailing the phone off and so on.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Android is absolutely killer and I love it. The Nothing Phone would be a great entry point if you’re wanting to test the waters. It is close to stock Android. Stock Android is the best Android. Surely they have a return period if you are unsure.

I’ll tell you though — any new OS takes some time to get used to. Sometimes you’ll be frustrated until you figure out how something works. Just make sure to give it a fair shake before you make a judgment call.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Ah ok! I thought this sub-forum was for Android smartphone users who use other Apple products.
You’re right, this is the Alternatives section. I don’t know why there seems to be a lack of real discussion here. Feels like we’re in the iPhone section of the forum. o_O

Maybe because this showed up on the front page carousel. That’s how I found it.

Android is wonderful and I always recommend people try new things. Trying new things is fun. Android, iOS, Windows, macOS…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.