Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nothing Phone (2)

• Yes

Votes: 27 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 129 85.4%

• Total voters

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Why 5-7? For dev purposes? 3-4 years is good for OS updates. Security updates should be longer.
Personally I don't keep any of my devices beyond 3-4 years, iPhones or Android. Most just 1-3.
These phones cost more than some MacBooks - I’d expect a similar level of support for them which is 7 years min. Only reason we classify 2 year as “good” is because that’s what we have been conditioned to expect

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I've thought about that as a reason to go back to iOS but then realised that the Android phones I typically buy are mid tier around $500 which is about half the price of an iPhone and similar or better in specs (e.g. you can get 120Hz easily for $500 but the iPhone 14 Plus doesn't have it).

So typically I'll buy new, sell 3 years later, then buy new again etc etc. It's the same price as buying an iPhone every six years, except now you get a new phone more often.
Depends what you’re buying - you can get a current gen iPhone for $500 as well (when it gets refreshed).

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Actually my experience is that Android 13 is more stable and bug free compared to iOS 16.

With my iPhone 12 PM I was forced to restart 2-3 times a week because of bugs.
And my current S23 never needs to restart, besides from updates.
In my experience I’ve had very few issues on iOS 16 but plenty on Android 13.

I never restart my iPhone apart from for updates even on the iOS 17 beta.

Shame your phone will only support 1 or 2 OS versions though which is what I mean by the software sucking.

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
In my experience I’ve had very few issues on iOS 16 but plenty on Android 13.

I never restart my iPhone apart from for updates even on the iOS 17 beta.

Shame your phone will only support 1 or 2 OS versions though which is what I mean by the software sucking.
It's quite interesting that 2 people can have the exactly opposite experience with similar software🙂
If you don't mind me asking, what iPhone are you using?

I don't use my 12 PM any more so it's no big deal for me now🙂

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Bro it's just a phone. Who cares?

Remember when Mac users were made fun of 15 years ago for having a Mac? "Man look at you ya dumb Macslur. Your overpriced underpowered Crapintosh with a Fisher Price OS that can't even game."

The constant phone warring makes you no better than those trolls.

”who cares?”, why are we having a thread about this here then?

Granted, my comment is pretty much tongue in cheek. Of course anyone can use whatever phone they want. But Android is pretty meh. The apps are
just so mediocre. Of course many people don’t care, they just want a phone. And go right ahead. But it seems to me that people who care about the software they use usually use iPhone.

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I'm old and set it my ways! so its a no from me. anything non apple just seems to goofy to use

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
I have been forced to use an Android phone for work, and coming from many years of iPhone use I find Android unintuitive and hard work to understand user actions. It’s not to say that Android is bad, it’s just different to what I have become familiar with.

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
These phones cost more than some MacBooks - I’d expect a similar level of support for them which is 7 years min. Only reason we classify 2 year as “good” is because that’s what we have been conditioned to expect

Think that depends....
I don't keep things 7 years min when it comes to computational devices.
The 2 years (now a thing of the past) was driven in the US by the Carrier contracts.
Now adays most keep 2-4 years before the wear, tear and battery becomes bothersome to maintain. There are exceptions. These though are not the norm. Some iPhone users tend to keep theirs beyond 4 years if cost effective. But 7 years min? More power to you.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I have been forced to use an Android phone for work, and coming from many years of iPhone use I find Android unintuitive and hard work to understand user actions. It’s not to say that Android is bad, it’s just different to what I have become familiar with.

That is one thing many forget (or ignore).
Android is not iOS and iOS is not Android. Then add in OEMs.
It can vary from familiar to very foreign no matter which direction you are coming from.

Reactions: h.gilbert

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Depends what you’re buying - you can get a current gen iPhone for $500 as well (when it gets refreshed).

I'm talking about current gen. For example right now I would get the new Poco F5 for $460 . An iPhone of that trades blows in terms of specs would be the 14 Plus at $1100 where I am. So if I can upgrade my Android twice as often I do with an iPhone I'll essentially get the same software support and also have a more current gen phone.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
It's quite interesting that 2 people can have the exactly opposite experience with similar software🙂

I mean until you actually have a good amount of data to glean anything meaning from it then anecdotal experiences are pretty much pointless.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux

That's the key. If you're used to using iOS then iOS is more intuitive. If Android, then Android.

For example I've been using android now for a few years. Every time I have to use an iPhone again I can't fathom how they don't have a universal back button gesture. I could call it bad design, but it's just that I'm used to Android now.

Reactions: gusmula

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
That's the key. If you're used to using iOS then iOS is more intuitive. If Android, then Android.

For example I've been using android now for a few years. Every time I have to use an iPhone again I can't fathom how they don't have a universal back button gesture. I could call it bad design, but it's just that I'm used to Android now.

I use both and that is one of the things that bugs me and I find myself unconsciously trying on my iPhone. 🙂

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019

I made a thread recently complaining about how the presence of that back gesture ruins swiping right to left to go forward in web browsers.

I agree with your premise, because I pointed out that no other major operating system, including Windows and macOS have such a back gesture… so it really shouldn’t be “unfathomable.“ It really is all about what we’re used to.

Reactions: h.gilbert

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020

I’m using a XS Max my main device but as others have said our individual anecdotal experiences mean nothing

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I'm talking about current gen. For example right now I would get the new Poco F5 for $460 . An iPhone of that trades blows in terms of specs would be the 14 Plus at $1100 where I am. So if I can upgrade my Android twice as often I do with an iPhone I'll essentially get the same software support and also have a more current gen phone.
Comparing purely on spec for spec isn’t really valid though as a method of understanding UX. A quick look suggests the iPhone SE 3 at the same price produces higher quality photos with a lower quality sensor (on paper) - indeed, it can record 4K 60fps where the Poco F5 is limited to 4K 30 despite it having a larger megapixel count. Also, it’s processor is crushed by the A15 in the SE3.

Now the SE3 is about to be updated to the SE4 which will make it even better value, and you get 5 years feature updates with it with even longer security updates.

I’d say the SE 3 (while feeling older) presents a better experience than a Poco F5. Depends what you value.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Nothing Phone (2)

Whaddya tink?
Just make sure you get an Android that do get updates, gets them regularly and for some time.

Its quite tricky to get that info sometimes and sometimes one manufacturer offer different support for phones released.
A good example is Samsung where the S series get monthly security updates while some of their A models only gets it quarterly or every 6 months.

If you are considering Android go for Pixel, they seem to have least bloat, quick with updates and you get at least 2 major android updates.

Odessa

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2021
+1 for Pixel. it has the best android support with a lot of great google features. Also Sony while kinda overpriced, can be found second hand for much more reasonable price. it has really good battery life, sd card support and a headphone jack with good sound quality. I think Nothing Phone is just a gimmick with really good marketing and fancy look.

That said, Android is only worth it if you want to do geeky things like sideloading apps painlessly (i.e. NewPipe is just the tip of the iceberg, tons of great stuff not available on the play store) have a need for custom launchers, a proper file manager, a terminal, uncensored manga reader, block ads at the system level, etc...
There is plenty of things that makes Android worthwhile.
However if all this does not appeal to you, iOS is noticeably nicer to use IMO.

Reactions: StoneJack

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Comparing purely on spec for spec isn’t really valid though as a method of understanding UX.

I was never talking about UX. I was talking about Android representing better value.

A quick look suggests the iPhone SE 3 at the same price produces higher quality photos with a lower quality sensor (on paper) - indeed, it can record 4K 60fps where the Poco F5 is limited to 4K 30 despite it having a larger megapixel count. Also, it’s processor is crushed by the A15 in the SE3.

Now the SE3 is about to be updated to the SE4 which will make it even better value, and you get 5 years feature updates with it with even longer security updates.

I’d say the SE 3 (while feeling older) presents a better experience than a Poco F5. Depends what you value.

Depends what you value but I would absolutely say the Poco F5 would be a better experience than an iPhone SE 3.

The newer TSMC fab'd Snapdragons are getting closer to Apple chips. The multicore geekbench score of the Poco F5 is 80% that of the SE 3. I wouldn't exactly call that being "crushed".

The camera on the iPhone SE may be better, though I doubt it as I don't think iPhone's colour is very good, but the F5 has two more cameras so more versatility. You could argue both ways.

If you look at this comparison I'd wager most would agree the F5 is the better prospect, unless someone really dislikes Android or Chinese phones. Bearing in mind where I am the SE 3 still about 15% more expensive than the F5, and that the base 64/4GB model compared to the base 256/8GB F5.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I made a thread recently complaining about how the presence of that back gesture ruins swiping right to left to go forward in web browsers.

I agree with your premise, because I pointed out that no other major operating system, including Windows and macOS have such a back gesture… so it really shouldn’t be “unfathomable.“ It really is all about what we’re used to.
You can set swipe gestures in Windows. I have set this on my Windows 11 tablet (browser).
Yes it was because of this feature in Android.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
That said, Android is only worth it if you want to do geeky things like sideloading apps painlessly (i.e. NewPipe is just the tip of the iceberg, tons of great stuff not available on the play store) have a need for custom launchers, a proper file manager, a terminal, uncensored manga reader, block ads at the system level, etc...
There is plenty of things that makes Android worthwhile.
However if all this does not appeal to you, iOS is noticeably nicer to use IMO.

I think a lot of is that most users here are American and so you guys don't have much of a choice when it comes to android phones. It seems like "android" just means "samsung" for most american consumers and Samsungs are basically the same price as iPhone.

Odessa

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2021
I think a lot of is that most users here are American and so you guys don't have much of a choice when it comes to android phones. It seems like "android" just means "samsung" for most american consumers and Samsungs are basically the same price as iPhone.
it's true, if you look at the price of the iphone SE vs an android phone, android is worth considering. I don't like phones so I have a cheap xiaomi I bought for about 200USD 3 years ago and it still work really well. The battery life is about 8hrs of SoT and with an unlocked bootloader, I can use the latest stock android version for many years to come.

People complains about update support but when you look a custom roms, you have phones that have been supported for over 10 years sometimes. (like the galaxy SII)

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Android does not mean Samsung to me and many other 'muricans.

There are plenty of other options (some with less carrier colluded garbage built in on the default/non-removable apps and elsewhere).

Reactions: dk001

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Android does not mean Samsung to me and many other 'muricans.

There are plenty of other options (some with less carrier colluded garbage built in on the default/non-removable apps and elsewhere).

I guess I meant for you guys it's not as easy to get hold of asian brands like xiaomi, redmi, realme, honor, oppo etc and those are the phones that are typically better value for money than Samsung, Google etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.