Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nothing Phone (2)

• Yes

Votes: 27 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 129 85.4%

• Total voters

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Lack of commitment to updates from manufacturers, even Google only promise 3 years of feature updates to their Pixel devices and most manufactures offer 2. Meanwhile, I am on my 5th year of feature updates for my XS.

App Quality is also lacking compared to iOS as a general rule.

I had an iPhone 4S, 5, 6, then switched to Android for 2 or 3 years, then switched back to iOS with the XS but I use a Pixel 7 Pro for my work phone daily (no restrictions) and have been using Android regularly (before work devices it was with Nexus tablets) for around 12-13 years now and develop apps for both iOS and Android.

App quality really is the big one for me, just seems like even popular apps are less refined. But the most annoying thing is how for say a Samsung device I seem to need to backup in multiple locations and a restore isn’t restoring everything including all settings, and app layouts and stuff. On my Fold 2 I had to factory reset the device due to it draining battery in 2 hours and it took ages to set everything up again while on my iPhone it‘s basically just a normal setup and everything is restored from the backup.

• Sad
Reactions: dk001

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
People talk about this, but it’s a WAY smaller issue on Android than on iOS. I ran the same version of Android for five years and never had an issue. All my apps still worked, and because the system apps are decoupled from the OS, I even got some cool new system apps. Developers do a great job supporting and compiling for older versions of Android due to the fragmentation.

And, sure, you can keep getting iOS updates five years after launch, but goodbye to your battery. My mother’s iPhone 7 Plus, on a BRAND NEW battery, gets 2-3 SOT.

All I’m saying is the OS support argument isn’t black and white.
As a developer supporting old versions is a real PITA but even with this if my iPhone XS gets 7 years of updates then that’s probably still longer than most android devices will continue to run the latest apps.

Yes, batteries are consumable but my 5 year old XS got a new battery a couple years back and still gets me through the day with 5 hrs SOT and 12 screen off on a single charge. This said, battery life whir nice is a non-issue for me as my phone is usually plugged in for things during the day

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
You either have not used it in a while or you chose one that dislikes its users.
Have a few and all receive timely updates.
All of mine have a promise of 3-4 years or more of OS updates and more for security updates.
Android has really changed over the last few years.
This is literally from the Google support page today: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4457705?hl=en

3-4 years is also pretty rubbish. I’d expect 5-7 as a minimum for feature updates and 7-10 for security.

I use an android phone daily.

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
People talk about this, but it’s a WAY smaller issue on Android than on iOS. I ran the same version of Android for five years and never had an issue. All my apps still worked, and because the system apps are decoupled from the OS, I even got some cool new system apps. Developers do a great job supporting and compiling for older versions of Android due to the fragmentation.

And, sure, you can keep getting iOS updates five years after launch, but goodbye to your battery. My mother’s iPhone 7 Plus, on a BRAND NEW battery, gets 2-3 SOT.

All I’m saying is the OS support argument isn’t black and white.
Also, yes, some apps will stay up to date (I think Facebook till support iOS 12/13) but I’d like to be able to continue to run the latest OS.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
App quality really is the big one for me, just seems like even popular apps are less refined. But the most annoying thing is how for say a Samsung device I seem to need to backup in multiple locations and a restore isn’t restoring everything including all settings, and app layouts and stuff. On my Fold 2 I had to factory reset the device due to it draining battery in 2 hours and it took ages to set everything up again while on my iPhone it‘s basically just a normal setup and everything is restored from the backup.

For backups, until my Ultra, it never got everything and usually had to do a 3rd party backup. Not that it is a bad thing by any means. But my Ultra catches everything. Don't use Sammy backup. Google One does a pretty decent job.

Reactions: jamezr

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
This is literally from the Google support page today: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4457705?hl=en

3-4 years is also pretty rubbish. I’d expect 5-7 as a minimum for feature updates and 7-10 for security.

I use an android phone daily.

Why 5-7? For dev purposes? 3-4 years is good for OS updates. Security updates should be longer.
Personally I don't keep any of my devices beyond 3-4 years, iPhones or Android. Most just 1-3.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
Seriously though. I can say that I like the form factor. It reminds me of iPhone 4 or 12. Except the transparency that I don’t like. And lights are childish.

Reactions: danb1979

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
For backups, until my Ultra, it never got everything and usually had to do a 3rd party backup. Not that it is a bad thing by any means. But my Ultra catches everything. Don't use Sammy backup. Google One does a pretty decent job.

So if you factory restore you just have to press one button to restore everything? Homescreens, all settings, even staying logged into most apps? Because if I have to do a factory reset that is what I expect, log into my account and everything should restore itself exactly like it was previously.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Ah ok! I thought this sub-forum was for Android smartphone users who use other Apple products.

I'm an Apple guy all the way so it would be a huge step for me to abandon my iPhone 14 Pro Max. Also love the seamless experiences across all my Apple devices.
Once a thread starts trending it appears on the front page of the site and people often answer without looking at the forum it had been posted in.
That’s unfortunate as context is important.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Lack of commitment to updates from manufacturers, even Google only promise 3 years of feature updates to their Pixel devices and most manufactures offer 2. Meanwhile, I am on my 5th year of feature updates for my XS.

I've thought about that as a reason to go back to iOS but then realised that the Android phones I typically buy are mid tier around $500 which is about half the price of an iPhone and similar or better in specs (e.g. you can get 120Hz easily for $500 but the iPhone 14 Plus doesn't have it).

So typically I'll buy new, sell 3 years later, then buy new again etc etc. It's the same price as buying an iPhone every six years, except now you get a new phone more often.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
You either have not used it in a while or you chose one that dislikes its users.
Have a few and all receive timely updates.
All of mine have a promise of 3-4 years or more of OS updates and more for security updates.
Android has really changed over the last few years.
Agree.

I switched when Pixel 4a came out August 2020 (having used iPhone from 3gs to 8Plus). Overall, the OS was surprisingly improved over my past couple of attempts.

These days it is even more polished in terms of OS features, app look & feel/consistency, etc.

For a 1st switch, I'd recommend Google hardware as it is a relatively seamless migration (assuming contacts already sync to Google on macOS/iOS), well documented/supported and big G has the least carrier infested Android offering (of the big manufacturers anyway).

I may order a Nothing 2 for the heck of it and see how it stacks up against my trusty OnePlus 8T 5g.

Last edited:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Friends don’t let friends use Android.

Bro it's just a phone. Who cares?

Remember when Mac users were made fun of 15 years ago for having a Mac? "Man look at you ya dumb Macslur. Your overpriced underpowered Crapintosh with a Fisher Price OS that can't even game."

The constant phone warring makes you no better than those trolls.

Reactions: jamezr

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
So if you factory restore you just have to press one button to restore everything? Homescreens, all settings, even staying logged into most apps? Because if I have to do a factory reset that is what I expect, log into my account and everything should restore itself exactly like it was previously.

Not sure what you are exactly asking as I cannot get that on any device including my Apple products.

For the most yes. I recently reset my S23 Ultra and on identifying what account to use it asked if I wanted to restore from my latest backup. On completion I had the device restored and ready to go except for choosing my default launcher as I use Nova.

If you want to use a physical backup, I do that weekly on an Extreme SSD. On restore if you plug in the SSD, the device will ask if you want to restore from the latest backup.

btw - I have to ask, what is the situation? Other than restoring on my beta test devices, I seldom have to do a reset/restore on any device.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Not sure what you are exactly asking as I cannot get that on any device including my Apple products.

For the most yes. I recently reset my S23 Ultra and on identifying what account to use it asked if I wanted to restore from my latest backup. On completion I had the device restored and ready to go except for choosing my default launcher as I use Nova.

If you want to use a physical backup, I do that weekly on an Extreme SSD. On restore if you plug in the SSD, the device will ask if you want to restore from the latest backup.

btw - I have to ask, what is the situation? Other than restoring on my beta test devices, I seldom have to do a reset/restore on any device.

On my Apple products I press restore from backup and enter the passcodes and stuff and then don’t have to do anything more except that some apps do not remember my login credentials (but most are still logged in), and everything is exactly as it was before. So a factory reset and being back to how it was before takes 15-20 minutes tops.

On my Fold 2 I had to factory reset once a month minimum, among other things it started draining 20-60% battery overnight and having high standby drain in general. Only a factory reset would fix it before it started happening again after a while. Took me hours to restore it every time since all my settings weren’t restored, everything with my home screens weren’t restored.

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
Your point is well taken. And with that in mind: Why did you make this comment?

Because I was given a platform to make it on. Why should I not make it? Because it’s not what some want to hear? But, it was meant TIC, much like I always question why anyone drives a Toyota. (I drive a Landrover)

To each their own, and all that. If it works for you, go right ahead.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
On my Apple products I press restore from backup and enter the passcodes and stuff and then don’t have to do anything more except that some apps do not remember my login credentials (but most are still logged in), and everything is exactly as it was before. So a factory reset and being back to how it was before takes 15-20 minutes tops.

On my Fold 2 I had to factory reset once a month minimum, among other things it started draining 20-60% battery overnight and having high standby drain in general. Only a factory reset would fix it before it started happening again after a while. Took me hours to restore it every time since all my settings weren’t restored, everything with my home screens weren’t restored.

Thanks for the clarification.
For recertification for login and bio login, on all I always have to redo those, iOS or Android.
I use Bitwarden (switching to Proton Pass) for all devices so it is a bit more work than keychain.

For the restore, this is my options on my Ultra (see attached). Very similar to my iPhone.

Wife has a Flip 3 and has been error free except for fold cracks starting to develop :(
All our Android devices are on 13. Pretty rock solid. All our iPhones/iPads are on 16 except a couple for beta testing on 17.

For my use case, restore for either is pretty simple excluding the financials ;)

Attachments

• img1.jpg
    img1.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.