Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nothing Phone (2)

• Yes

Votes: 27 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 129 85.4%

• Total voters

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
Never in all my years of smartphones have I seen anyone put their phone face down on a surface. The basic concept is flawed: why put the front side face down, the side that shows you full information and the side that would be bad if it got scratched, in favor of looking at glyphs which only communicate basic info like the fact that you've received a message but doesn't show any actual content?
I don't disagree with the glyphs being novel and fun more than useful, but there's an easy answer for this question: the ever growing camera bump. Putting my phone flat on its back has it rock about and scratch the cameras. Even with a case, the bump's big enough that it isn't flushed out.

There's also the ease of turning it over when you don't want to be distracted; I'm not sure if this is still around, but someone (I think Google) added a feature several years ago that would enable DND automatically if your phone was placed face-down. It's a super intuitive way to just get rid of it, but a handful of glyphs for something important enough for you to still care about might come in handy. In fairness, if you can be bothered to configure them to light up for important notifications, you can set a powerful filter/focus mode that you could just turn on on any phone instead of turning it over.

Reactions: dk001

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
if i would go andoroid route, i would not chose nothing phone...unless im an teenager..i dont see myself using those leds as functions
I think this was made just to be different and appeal for younger audience and nothing more, the rest is just android vs ios thing

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2022
I've read good things about the Asus Zenfone 10. Might want to consider it if you are into compact phones and want an Android experience that is close to stock Android. Apparently it's also got great battery life. I don't care much about the LED lights on the nothing phone.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I've read good things about the Asus Zenfone 10. Might want to consider it if you are into compact phones and want an Android experience that is close to stock Android. Apparently it's also got great battery life. I don't care much about the LED lights on the nothing phone.
Zenfone looks great. I wish there was a Pixel at that size. I also wish the Zenfone worked on Verizon’s bands. I know the 9 didn’t — don’t know about the 10! :(

Reactions: francoismatronis

mossimossimossi

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023
Nothing Phone (2)

Whaddya tink?
Is this your first time trying out Android? Good choice cause it has a flagship CPU in a mid-tier phone. One of my irks, however, is how it comes with Android 12 instead of Android 13. When I buy a phone, I would like to have the most recent OS as possible. Does this bother anyone else?

EDIT: Looks like the comparison site I used had the wrong info when I was comparing it to my Samsung A54. The Nothing Phone 2 does come with Android 13.

Last edited:
Reactions: francoismatronis

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
So out of morbid curiosity I had to look....it hurts my eyes. I had no idea that nothing could. Then again, there are some that think any Citroën is a good looking car. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Are there any viable alternatives to iOS? I don't know. That's like asking if there's life after death. I'm not in a hurry to find out.

My now 82 year old father-in-law got his first smart phone about 6 years ago, just for Whatsapp, reading the news and a few other random things. Some dirt cheap used Motorola. When that phone stopped Android support we just got him an entry level Samsung for €120, but I forget what model it is exactly as it didn't make much of an impression on me. Neither phone did/does. However, I have had the 'pleasure' of setting both phones up. That has made a big impression on me.

Now I think I can talk, because I have actually used Android. So again, why would anyone consciously want to move from iOS to Android? Sure, it might be free and works on almost any non-Apple phone. But I can't see any reason other than that to use it. Don't you also ask yourself why it (Android) is free? What's the catch?

First set up is one thing, but it almost drove me to drink when trying to move even the little data and handful of apps my FIL had on his old phone to his new phone. The other problem was trying to turn things like background tasks and mobile data use for certain apps off. The same stuff that takes seconds on an iPhone to find took me hours on Android, and even then I'm still not sure it was done right. Working with the home screen, trying to move apps around, after you've spent some time looking for the app you just installed. How do backups work? How do you sync photos taken with an Android to a Windows computer? etc etc. I can go on all day about what I think of Android, and Windows....

Or are Android phones and Windows computers only for smart people with Masters degrees? What am I missing here?

Oh, I also used Symbian for a while.....I think there's a reason they're not around anymore.

Last edited:

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Another thing I hated that made me stick to android is iOS lack of a universal back button. Ergonomically such a bad system. With android and gestures on just swipe in from either side of the bottom half of the screen.

francoismatronis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2023
Another thing I hated that made me stick to android is iOS lack of a universal back button. Ergonomically such a bad system. With android and gestures on just swipe in from either side of the bottom half of the screen.

Yes it’s literally unbearable to be honest.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
While I do miss Android’s rooting, custom roms and really miss Nova Launcher, I probably will never go back.

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
Why not? What do you dislike about the Android ecosystem?

The only thing I disliked was having to reboot. With the devices I was on running custom roms, I was having to reboot a few times a day. Not really a big deal, but still.

Today I’m too deep in the Apple ecosystem. Phones, tablets, watches, TV’s, and more $$& in moves that I care to admit.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Why switch when you can have both? That is, if you have the funds/budget...

I use both android and iPhone... I previously used an iPhone 7 Plus but now iPhone 14 Pro Max... On the android side, I have Samsung Galaxy S10+ and I have typed this on my Galaxy Note 4

Nothing phone (2) could be a good start... Even though Google has the Pixel phone, when it comes to smartphone brands, the 2 most well known are Apple and Samsung... There's also Huawei, however, it no longer has GMS and even though there's a workaround, not many would go through great lengths just to make it usable... Apple is the only one who uses iOS so they have monopoly(?)/full control while on android, there are so many brands to choose from...

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Why do you think it sucks?
Primarily due to lack of updates, a brand new pixel fold is only guaranteed updates still June 26, 2026 (so 3 years from launch). Meanwhile, my iPhone XS Max is about to receive it's 5th year of feature updates, and may get more after that.

• Haha
Reactions: dk001

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Craig, I’d also like to know why you think it sucks. How long have you used Android? How long have you used iOS?
Lack of commitment to updates from manufacturers, even Google only promise 3 years of feature updates to their Pixel devices and most manufactures offer 2. Meanwhile, I am on my 5th year of feature updates for my XS.

App Quality is also lacking compared to iOS as a general rule.

I had an iPhone 4S, 5, 6, then switched to Android for 2 or 3 years, then switched back to iOS with the XS but I use a Pixel 7 Pro for my work phone daily (no restrictions) and have been using Android regularly (before work devices it was with Nexus tablets) for around 12-13 years now and develop apps for both iOS and Android.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Primarily due to lack of updates, a brand new pixel fold is only guaranteed updates still June 26, 2026 (so 3 years from launch). Meanwhile, my iPhone XS Max is about to receive it's 5th year of feature updates, and may get more after that.

You either have not used it in a while or you chose one that dislikes its users.
Have a few and all receive timely updates.
All of mine have a promise of 3-4 years or more of OS updates and more for security updates.
Android has really changed over the last few years.

Reactions: edubfromktown

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Lack of commitment to updates from manufacturers, even Google only promise 3 years of feature updates to their Pixel devices and most manufactures offer 2. Meanwhile, I am on my 5th year of feature updates for my XS.
People talk about this, but it’s a WAY smaller issue on Android than on iOS. I ran the same version of Android for five years and never had an issue. All my apps still worked, and because the system apps are decoupled from the OS, I even got some cool new system apps. Developers do a great job supporting and compiling for older versions of Android due to the fragmentation.

And, sure, you can keep getting iOS updates five years after launch, but goodbye to your battery. My mother’s iPhone 7 Plus, on a BRAND NEW battery, gets 2-3 SOT.

All I’m saying is the OS support argument isn’t black and white.

Reactions: h.gilbert and dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.