Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nothing Phone (2)

• Yes

Votes: 27 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 129 85.4%

• Total voters

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I guess I meant for you guys it's not as easy to get hold of asian brands like xiaomi, redmi, realme, honor, oppo etc and those are the phones that are typically better value for money than Samsung, Google etc.
You are right. The main Chinese OEM are not mainstream in USA.

You are also right they have the most value in terms of the hardware. Software is another ball game.

Until there is a mainstream presence by the major Chinese mobile OEM's and a push into the American market all of the Xiaomi, oppo, honor, realme, etc. are pretty much a no go. Most don't support the cellular bands needed to operate properly. Most have no customer service options in USA.

You can get brands like Red Magic, Nothing phone, Motorola, Google, Samsung, Asus, ZTE, etc.

Samsung and Google offer plenty of value during sales and promotions. Plus after sales support and update support is good.

Reactions: dk001

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I guess I meant for you guys it's not as easy to get hold of asian brands like xiaomi, redmi, realme, honor, oppo etc and those are the phones that are typically better value for money than Samsung, Google etc.
Ahhh yes, that's true.

I have a OnePlus 8T now (that was an excellent value w/ 256 GB storage and 12 GB RAM for $300 USD!). Based on what Oppo is doing, I have no desire to purchase a newer product from them. Google Pixel's can be a decent value either on release with bundled items, when often discounted months further along after initial release or occasionally during major US holiday sales.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

They are not hard to get ahold of. The big issue is whether the carrier will allow or support it on their network (assuming the bands are on device).
Ran into this couple of years back with AT&T. Bought a OnePlus 9 Pro and they would not allow 5G operations. Liked it anyway and later gifted it and bought a 10 Pro. Then AT&T finally allowed 5G.

This happens with all carriers here and for far too many devices.

Reactions: h.gilbert

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I think using one of these 3 things might do a better job:

80d3007c08ca69441df475f9c0cdbfb0.jpg

What’s the thing say in front of the phones??

• Wow
Reactions: kaardowiq

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I had a Pixel 7 Pro before I bought my 14 PM, and as someone fairly deep in the Google ecosystem (phone, speakers, watch, etc), I have to say android isn’t as bad as some make it out to be.

I preferred the Google route because I preferred “stock” android, and it was mostly pleasant to use. My only gripes were with third-party apps (not android’s fault), battery life and overheating. My phone kept throttling and shutting down even in cool environments so I couldn’t take it anymore. I thought about switching to Samsung, but I didn’t want their bloat.

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
I preferred the Google route because I preferred “stock” android, and it was mostly pleasant to use. My only gripes were with third-party apps (not android’s fault), battery life and overheating. My phone kept throttling and shutting down even in cool environments so I couldn’t take it anymore. I thought about switching to Samsung, but I didn’t want their bloat.

I'm a long time Android user who switched to iOS a few years ago because the Android market was a wasteland in North America. At the time, not even Google supported their devices for more than a few years and I just didn't want to be straddled with a poorly made and often flawed Pixel only to have support dropped shortly after buying.

Reactions: boswald

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'm a long time Android user who switched to iOS a few years ago because the Android market was a wasteland in North America. At the time, not even Google supported their devices for more than a few years and I just didn't want to be straddled with a poorly made and often flawed Pixel only to have support dropped shortly after buying.
IDK I'd its still 3 years or 4 but I've never had a phone 3 years. 2 years is my usual but I think I'll have a look at the pixel 8 if the trade in's are like last year....or, hec that Nothing 2 phone (terrible name) looks pretty interesting after watching some reviews. Biometrics in it looks great compared to my P7.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
IDK I'd its still 3 years or 4 but I've never had a phone 3 years. 2 years is my usual but I think I'll have a look at the pixel 8 if the trade in's are like last year....or, hec that Nothing 2 phone (terrible name) looks pretty interesting after watching some reviews. Biometrics in it looks great compared to my P7.

I can confirm the bio’s work well.
Did have to setup 2 Faceid’s as my glasses caused occasional issues.
You can set to auto-open on face unlock.

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
To tell the guy to try the phone out and let us know how it is since I never used an Android. It's not too deep lmao.

Forums > iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch > Alternatives to iOS > Switching to Android

> never used android
> posting advice in "switching to android"

You're right. It's not deep (lmao).

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
To the OP...

I'm not familiar with the Nothing phone, but if you've never used android, you're going to love that aspect of it. You actually do what you want with your phone, which is nice.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Forums > iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch > Alternatives to iOS > Switching to Android

> never used android
> posting advice in "switching to android"

You're right. It's not deep (lmao).
To the OP...

I'm not familiar with the Nothing phone, but if you've never used android, you're going to love that aspect of it. You actually do what you want with your phone, which is nice.

BRO THAT'S LITERALLY WHAT I SAID! And you're chastising me for being positive for the OP. 🥴

Btw I guess my previous statement was a lie because I do have one Android device...kinda. My Meta Quest 2. Though it's a heavily modified version of Android 12 designed for virtual reality so I don't know if that really counts.

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
BRO THAT'S LITERALLY WHAT I SAID! And you're chastising me for being positive for the OP. 🥴

Btw I guess my previous statement was a lie because I do have one Android device...kinda. My Meta Quest 2. Though it's a heavily modified version of Android 12 designed for virtual reality so I don't know if that really counts.

It doesn't.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The best place to start is the almost pure Android on a Sony Xperia phone. After a year or two with that, go get a Samsung and you'll be blown away.

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
It counts in my heart :(

I'd use Android if there was something that I could really use that ran Android. Unfortunately, right now that's just the Quest 2
I don't use my phone for exotic things like VR or gaming etc. Pretty basic, but I do insist on being in control of the things I spend my money on. Android does offer that while ios is just a bad joke when it comes to ownership, options, and respect for any meaningful choice

Reactions: gusmula

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
Also I have found that anything not part of the iPhone "ecosystem" runs terribly, and whether true or not, some developers say it has something to do with an apple specific policy that they can't control.

Reactions: gusmula
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.