Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I have an idea. I'm changing the app icon to this (it's from Apple library, don't know if Apple will accept it).
Then depending on system dark mode setting, it will show the light or dark one. Friendly enough as light, punchy enough as dark. What do you think?

Attachments

• appicon-512-dark.png
    appicon-512-dark.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 130
  • appicon-512-light.png
    appicon-512-light.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 44

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Can you be more specific? Which services are covered? Netflix? Which countries?
Why don't you include WireGuard too? WireGuard is approximately twice as fast as OpenVPN.
Right now US (all services covered), and UK/Switzerland (some services covered).
For my implementation WireGuard isn‘t suitable as it is (authentication, stealth mode), and would need heavy modifications. Don’t have that time/resources now, maybe in the future.

Reactions: pacorob

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Next update is on the way, I reverted back to the (new) dark icon as default. On iOS devices, the icon will change upon app start depending on system dark mode setting. This should also work on Mac as documentation says it's supported, but it doesn't on mine, don't know why. Maybe it works on your devices, or maybe it will start working with macOS 14.

I'll also have to raise the prices for now, till I better figure out how to gain more users. The change will be effective on Monday (only for new customers of course). Still cheaper than the big ones, and a lot cheaper than those other unknown VPN apps floating around (don't know why they're so expensive?). Then I'm thinking to implement in-app ads for the free users, as there are quite a bit of them using my app right now.

After that I'll setup a proper website, where I also plan to share some of my server configurations, which may gain more trust.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Hey guys

I made an adfree YouTube app, but Apple keeps rejecting it, no matter what I try. So I just built the functionality inside SwizzVPN and "hide" it as a simple browser. Let's see if it works that way. I really want to have that :)

It will provide adfree videos, picture-in-picture mode and background playback, without the need of an account. Also it may be handy for some as a simple browser. You can't type in an URL, but you can open DuckDuckGo and go from there. I also added a toggle for private browsing and the ability to add favorite links.

Oh and I read that tvOS 17 will finally support native VPN apps. I just ordered an Apple TV 4K and see how far I can get, hope to get SwizzVPN working on Apple TV before the release.

Greetings.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Thanks. Yeah I know, but there are still apps that offer that and even promote it, like YouPiP and Video Lite. That‘s why I don‘t understand. Regardless, in SwizzVPN it will look like that:
I think as long as Google/YT doesn't threat them they think they are safe. There are already great options out there in the App Store and some indeed for years which are great, however I wouldn't risk your VPN (and AI) business by offering this to avoid lawsuits/legal threats with Google and possibly Apple closing your account.

Reactions: pvalerio

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I think as long as Google/YT doesn't threat them they think they are safe. There are already great options out there in the App Store and some indeed for years which are great, however I wouldn't risk your VPN (and AI) business by offering this to avoid lawsuits/legal threats with Google and possibly Apple closing your account.
Yeah you‘re right. It‘s just something I always wanted to have, would have been a great trio of apps. I just saw that the macOS version got approved with the changes, so maybe it will also for the iOS app. I think if it gets threaten, then I may only need to remove the YouTube link, while keeping all the functionality. Users can still add the link to YouTube themselves then if they want.

Attachments

• IMG_1400.png
    IMG_1400.png
    543.5 KB · Views: 54

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
New update is online, with integrated YouTube. I also integrated SwizzTV (works only when connected to Switzerland server).

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
New update is online, with integrated YouTube. I also integrated SwizzTV (works only when connected to Switzerland server).
I don't see the YouTube option in the app anymore. It was there before this last update. It looks like you removed it even though you say it is integrated. I am connected to the Switzerland server and also don't see any sight of SwizzTV

Last edited:

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I don't see the YouTube option in the app anymore. It was there before this last update. It looks like you removed it even though you say it is integrated. I am connected to the Switzerland server and also don't see any sight of SwizzTV
Yep, something went wrong when compiling. It comes back on the next update 3.6.5 which I just submitted, I also made the window resizable.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I am very pleased with your app. Lots of good work since the release. I would like to see Wireguard offered, if possible.
Thanks, nice to hear that! I don‘t know yet about WireGuard, it‘s pretty complex to do, maybe in the future. Don‘t really see the benefit of it for the work it needs. Biggest priority now is to make the app working for AppleTV, before tvOS 17 gets released. Just got an Apple TV today.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks, nice to hear that! I don‘t know yet about WireGuard, it‘s pretty complex to do, maybe in the future. Don‘t really see the benefit of it for the work it needs. Biggest priority now is to make the app working for AppleTV, before tvOS 17 gets released. Just got an Apple TV today.
I will definitely make use of Apple TV VPN ability. :D

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I need an opinion. For the app description in App Store, I'm using a SEO marketing text, because I read that it will be better. I personally don't like it though, I'm more for a short text with a list/bullet-points of the features. Do you look for such stuff, or doesn't it matter?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I'm probably not a good vote for "the average consumer" but for me the bullet points of features is something I definitely look at. That and when the app was last updated. Then I check to see how much it costs. If it passes those 3, I usually get it. lol.

Screenshots of the app are big too I guess but the other 3 are more of a have to pass before I even look at the screenshots.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I'm probably not a good vote for "the average consumer" but for me the bullet points of features is something I definitely look at. That and when the app was last updated. Then I check to see how much it costs. If it passes those 3, I usually get it. lol.

Screenshots of the app are big too I guess but the other 3 are more of a have to pass before I even look at the screenshots.
So how would you rate my app store entry then? :)

New version 3.6.5 is now online.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Doing Mac OS just cuz I got that open right now:

1687538516469.jpeg

So the 5.0 rating is great, it's got a small number of reviews but the fact that they're all 5.0 is great.

The fact that 2h since the last update is A+.

1687538564665.jpeg

To me this is a little short and too blocky compared to most of the apps I see. Not a bad thing! But it would be nice to have bullet points going: Here's the feature this has - why is this better than other VPNs? I'd make No registration its own line, its own bullet point, and the first thing in a list with smaller paragraphs.

Next, highlighting privacy - steps taken to maintain privacy - and what not is the next thing I look for. Anything more than a few lines hurts the lazy consumer eyes.

But that's just me. And I'm no pro, no SEO expert, and definitely not a good representative of most customers. lol.

1687538692338.jpeg

Lastly, for a VPN, prices are pretty good. For Nord VPN, I dropped $70 something on a 2 year sub. So the fact that I can get a lifetime for $70 or yearly for $50 is amazing.

I would prefer an option for 1 price for both iOS and Mac but the fact that there are separate options HUGE PLUS for me (something I didn't think about till SwizzVPN came out) as I almost never use VPN on my iPhone.

Last edited:

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
It's funny how you keep saying that you're no pro/expert, still you give always one of the most valuable feedback :) Thank you very much! Will incorporate this on the next update(s). BTW, I didn't forget about Peru server, just couldn't find one yet.

• Love

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
It's funny how you keep saying that you're no pro/expert, still you give always one of the most valuable feedback :) Thank you very much! Will incorporate this on the next update(s). BTW, I didn't forget about Peru server, just couldn't find one yet.
Haha, thank you for the kind words. No worries at all about a Peruvian server - I noticed not even Nord has a server there, haha. Thank you for being active on MR. Rare to get devs so friendly/communication with customers. :D

Proud SwizzVPN customer here!

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Next update will improve the behavior of the status menu bar window, it will be a bit more independent if you open another SwizzVPN main window. I also added a toggle which will resize the window in 2 predefined sizes (the normal narrow view, and a 16:9 size for watching videos)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.