Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
New update is coming, which makes the built-in browser independent of YouTube and Live-TV, so you can browse while watching YouTube in a PiP-window. Now I'm done :)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Hello guys

I have bad news, it has happened. Today in the morning law enforcement came to my home asking questions about suspicious activity on rented servers running under my name. They also froze my Apple developer account. I didn‘t tell and show them anything. But I guess my service is no longer safe to use and I‘ll shutdown and delete the servers later. Don‘t know what this means for SwizzVPN in the future, but I guess I‘m gonna retire from this business.

Thanks for all your support

• Wow

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Hello guys

I have bad news, it has happened. Today in the morning law enforcement came to my home asking questions about suspicious activity on rented servers running under my name. They also froze my Apple developer account. I didn‘t tell and show them anything. But I guess my service is no longer safe to use and I‘ll shutdown and delete the servers later. Don‘t know what this means for SwizzVPN in the future, but I guess I‘m gonna retire from this business.

Thanks for all your support
Wow that's absolutely amazing. I always wondered about this. My work - we used to house an SFTP server that was used all over the world by 20-30k people. Eventually it was getting hammered by bots from China, Canada, Russia so often that we even had the FBI showing up at the door wondering what was going on. lol.

I can't imagine that happening at my home.

Always wondered how the big VPN companies do it - say a nefarious customer uses my VPN servers to hack a State Government or steal money from a bank - everything would point back to my VPN servers. I guess even in Switzerland, the police would have to at least do something.

Sorry to hear - and hopefully this wasn't your primary source of income. I can't imagine all the things you learned doing this (jealous). I'm very happy to have been a very small part of it. Thanks for being active on Macrumors. That breed of developer is rare today.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Other locations are soon coming back.

Update on law enforcement: They just confirmed that they couldn‘t find any data on the servers at all. This is due to not logging anything and also shutting the servers down, so no active connections could be looked at. So everything‘s safe :)

EDIT: Again due to law restrictions, unfortunately I have to disable TV channels on the next update. If you still want/need it, PM me for more info.

Last edited:

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I got the first build of SwizzVPN running on Apple TV with tvOS 17.0 beta 😃 Still needs some UI changes. So it's definitely coming to Apple TV. As soon as I got my servers back running I'll have a fully VPN solution for all Apple devices.

Attachments

• 2023-08-05 07.58.52.jpg
    2023-08-05 07.58.52.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 64

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Why are we back to only having Switzerland as the only option to connect? The previous update allowed for USA.

I also noticed that you stopped noting what the update involved. Saying minor fixes doesn’t fly, especially when the update is removing a feature, which isn’t the first time such hasn’t been reported in the update description. You need to stop doing that. I consider that lazy and shady practice.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Didn't change anything, still the same (about half of servers are online). Try to hit the refresh button in server list.

Minor fixes refers to internal code optimizations or other smaller UI related fixes which aren't noticable, or when I just need to change the App Store description, that also needs a new build.

Which feature did I remove?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Why are we back to only having Switzerland as the only option to connect? The previous update allowed for USA.

I also noticed that you stopped noting what the update involved. Saying minor fixes doesn’t fly, especially when the update is removing a feature, which isn’t the first time such hasn’t been reported in the update description. You need to stop doing that. I consider that lazy and shady practice.
Click the right arrow on location - it brings up all the locations:

IMG_1041.jpeg

IMG_1040.png

Reactions: pvalerio

Silverstring

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
Glad to see this app continue on!

Feature request (unless it’s already in there and I missed it): allow manual reordering of the “Favorite Locations” list.

As of now, it appears that the list order can only be determined by the order the favorites are added in (with the latest Favorite going at the top of the list).

Reactions: pvalerio

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Very nice!!! Getting them back. Hope you’re doing well? Work has been super busy for me - may do some work related travel here in a week. Will make sure to use your VPN :).
Yeah I'm fine :) Just submitted first version of SwizzVPN for tvOS to App Store, let's see if it gets approved. Hope SwizzVPN works good for you when you travel :)

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
SwizzVPN for Apple TV got approved. It will be in App Store at launch day of tvOS 17.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
New small updates are on the way, which should fix the latest UI bugs and also make them ready for iOS 17 and macOS Sonoma.

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
Hi!

I'm an independent developer from Switzerland who created a VPN service for iOS and macOS.

Featuring private & secure VPN access to worldwide locations with a lifetime purchase option.
No logs, no data collection, no registration needed. With unlimited bandwidth, speed and devices.
Works in VPN blocked countries using an automatic stealth mode. Also bypasses firewalls using TCP 443 mode.
Geo-unblocking streaming servers, integrated Adblocker, Kill Switch, DNS-over-TLS and IPv6 support.
Integrated ad free web browser with YouTube PiP and background audio playback.
Running in Switzerland on my own managed servers, protected by strong Swiss privacy laws.

Feedback wanted. Thanks!

App Store
Quick question. Now it's available on TVOS17, does this VPN have split tunneling?

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Quick question. Now it's available on TVOS17, does this VPN have split tunneling?
Saw your answer on the other thread, didn't know about that feature! Currently not, but I will look into it, sounds good. Shouldn't be hard to implement it.

Reactions: mikelets456

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I will check out your service tonight....I believe using the USA server should suffice for Amazon, Paramount + and my other online TV services while keeping my location and information encrypted.
Nice to hear! BTW I just tried NordVPN and ProtonVPN on my iPhone but I couldn't find a setting where you can select Apps or Websites to not go through the VPN. Where can I find it? May you send me a screenshot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.