Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Just started binge watching (a quarter way through episode 5).

Watching the trailer few weeks ago, I thought this was an Israeli-Alias. Boy was I wrong. This series seems to be more about the fallout from decades-long ongoing Iran–Israel proxy conflict. Real people forced to deal with geopolitical-religious conflict.

Few minor details aside, the depiction of Iran feels very accurate with lots of humanity, which is all the more astounding considering the series is made by Israelis and Iran expats. Some amazing performances, led by Shaun Toub of Iron Man fame (a doctor who saved Tony Stark in the cave).

After the first couple of episodes, which were not at all what I expected (in a good way), the story becomes more pedestrian and predictable. But I am continued to be fascinated by the depiction of struggle and life in Iran, and richly developed characters. To me, a good TV series is all about characters.

I am not a big fan of inaccurate portrayal of computer hacking however, especially the way passwords are routinely compromised. Mr. Robot this is not.

Production values are somewhat mixed. Greek locations serve as convincing backdrop for Tehran, but the cinematography is not as polished as other Apple TV+ series. A minor quibble: Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos are rarely utilized.

I, for one, am a big fan of foreign series and movies with subtitles. Non-English greatly contribute to authenticity, a quality that I found jarring on say, Hollywood's The Last Emperor or Mulan.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
the cinematography is not as polished as other Apple TV+ series
I believe this (as is the case with some other Apple TV+ content) wasn't soothing that Apple TV+ created and produced, but basically content that they purchased (given that this was something that already aired in various places, like Israel, before, outside of Apple TV+).

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
Well there goes Masoud. He was defiantly one of my favorite characters. But towards the end, it was clear he wasn’t going to last long. Questions is, was is Mossad or Faraz?

YatBob

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2014
Louisiana
When Masoud was laying on the ground his shirt seemed to be tight, thinking he was wearing a vest and the assassination staged, went and replayed the part where he exited his car to the shooting and shirt appears to fit normally

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
When Masoud was laying on the ground his shirt seemed to be tight, thinking he was wearing a vest and the assassination staged, went and replayed the part where he exited his car to the shooting and shirt appears to fit normally

That is a curious theory...what about the blood?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The whole ecstasy rave felt like a filler. I get it, Iranians are not all that different from us. Now get back to espionage/thriller story line.

iDron

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
That is a curious theory...what about the blood?
I also was wondering about that. Faraz was still pointing his gun at Masoud laying on the ground, made me feel like he is checking if he is actually dead.

GrampaJiiji

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2018
Overlooking The Bay
I'm enjoying the tense drama of this series, however, how would a mossad intelligence agent sent into Iran not know that a 'thumbs up' sign is an obscene insult meaning “sit on it” which is their equivalent to holding a middle finger up.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I just watched the episode 6.

The first half was painfully slow. The whole Milad-Tamar relationship just bores me to death. Thankfully, that came to a quick end as things quickly escalated on the second half.

And just as the show started to become all too predictable, this episode throws the wrench -- alternate plans of Kamali (with Arezoo) and Yael (going to Tehran).

I heard the final episode 98 scheduled to stream in 2 weeks is going to be a huge surprise.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

The first half was painfully slow. The whole Milad-Tamar relationship just bores me to death. Thankfully, that came to a quick end as things quickly escalated on the second half.

And just as the show started to become all too predictable, this episode throws the wrench -- alternate plans of Kamali (with Arezoo) and Yael (going to Tehran).

I heard the final episode 9 scheduled to stream in 2 weeks is going to be a huge surprise.

Don't see an episode 9. Next week is 7: "Tamar's Dad" and on 10/30 is episode 8: "5 Hours to the Bombardment".

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019

I heard the final episode 98 scheduled to stream in 2 weeks is going to be a huge surprise.
Indicative of a second season?

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I’m a bit confused. Who is the person Arezoo called & why is he needed?

Arezoo was the one that let Tamar stay for a couple of nights, right?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I’m a bit confused. Who is the person Arezoo called & why is he needed?

Arezoo was the one that let Tamar stay for a couple of nights, right?

Mordechai is Tamar's father. His wife, Yasamin, was Arezoo's sister. When she was dying of cancer, Arezoo refused to speak with Yasamin, and that has caused a rift between Mordechai and Arezoo. In an earlier episode, Tamar visits Mordechai and the show talks about Mordechai and his family fleeing Iran, but Arezoo and her husband (Dariush) and daughter (Raziah) remain in Tehran because of Dariush's position within the government. In episode 6, Faraz forced Arezoo to reach out to Mordechai in an effort to get to Tamar.

And I still hate the subtitles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jxdawg

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Mordechai is Tamar's father. His wife, Yasamin, was Arezoo's sister. When she was dying of cancer, Arezoo refused to speak with Yasamin, and that has caused a rift between Mordechai and Arezoo. In an earlier episode, Tamar visits Mordechai and the show talks about Mordechai and his family fleeing Iran, but Arezoo and her husband and daughter remain in Tehran because of his position within the government. In episode 6, Faraz forced Arezoo to reach out to Mordechai in an effort to get to Tamar.

And I still hate the subtitles.
Thank you. How the hell have I missed all of that? Seriously. Which episode does Tamar visit him?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jxdawg

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
One more episode left. I really hope there is a 2nd season.

If this was made by Apple I think we would have seen a renewal notice by now. But since it is made by KAN, the ball is in their court.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Penultimate episode 7, "Tamar's Dad", started wobbly with some wooden performances (Gorev, head of Israeli Mossad and Tamar) and tiresome Tamar-Milad plot line.

It seems Faraz's gambit was merely a tool toward Tamar's emotional conflict? I was hoping for more. I liked the exchanges between Tamar's dad and Faraz, which adds some humanity to Israel-Iran conflict. Things are looking bad for the fate of Faraz's wife, however. I don't think she will make it.

Ali (Faraz's protege) is the central figure on this episode. He's at least one step ahead of everyone, shaking things up.

Yael (Liraz Charhi is so stunning on this episode) is one of the most charismatic characters on this series, a nice counterbalance for Tamar, who is becoming more timid and unstable.

I am not sure what Israel's next move is. I think their air raid will go south, leaving Yael and Tamar to salvage it. Whatever happens, I think someone will die on the next episode.

All in all, Tehran has defied my expectations. I expected Israeli/Iranian Alias. What we got instead of a series that feels authentic in its portrayal of life in Iran. Everyone's imperfect, making human mistakes and no one is pure evil nor pure good. The series definitely feels more low rent, but to me, that adds to realism.

Last edited:

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018
A number of people have commented about disliking the subtitles but does anybody think that these subtitles are not on the screen long enough to read and also trying to take in what is happening in the action?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
A number of people have commented about disliking the subtitles but does anybody think that these subtitles are not on the screen long enough to read and also trying to take in what is happening in the action?
I am totally fine with subtitles. Subtitles add to authenticity. Iranians talk Farsi and Israelis talk Hebrews. Not everything has to cater Americans.

With that out of the way, the last episode "Tamar's Dad" was particularly bad. Hebrews were spoken very fast and subtitles flashed by more than once or twice. I think show runners did not anticipate international success and wrote the screenplay with Israelis in mind.

YatBob

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2014
Louisiana
I am totally fine with subtitles. Subtitles add to authenticity. Iranians talk Farsi and Israelis talk Hebrews. Not everything has to cater Americans.

With that out of the way, the last episode "Tamar's Dad" was particularly bad. Hebrews were spoken very fast and subtitles flashed by more than once or twice. I think show runners did not anticipate international success and wrote the screenplay with Israelis in mind.
I found myself going back in 10 second intervals and sometimes pausing in order to read the captioning, thought it was just my 80+ eyes and brain, just didn't want to miss anything

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The season (series?) finale was a meh for me. Yes, the twist was surprising but I am not sure how Yael's actions helped her cause. Israelis sent bombers to Iran (to their doom) regardless.

The whole Ababil hacking scene felt like a cheap knockoff of Mr. Robot 4x05 "Method Not Found" episode.

Sole saving grace is Faraz.. Faraz pretending to be Tamar's dad was suspenseful and unexpected. But his actions ultimately didn't amount to anything either.

I expected a bit more from Ali, who has been very resourceful. The way he just gives up was rather uncharacteristic.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightTheFuture

GrampaJiiji

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2018
Overlooking The Bay
"Season" may be gradually replacing "series" in the UK, but historically "series" refers to a single batch of episodes, not the whole run.

I agree Ali's part could have been bigger.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
Finished the series final. Wouldnt say this is my favorite ATV+ series, but I did love the style. Hope for another season and for more related content!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.