Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
It’s good but it is very predictable! Of course uncle & auntie won’t make it, of course Tamar & her boy boy wouldn’t leave…so predictable!?‍♂️

I’ll keep watching see if it gets better.

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Does anyone else start to feel that Apple's insistence on all show characters using Apple products is starting to get ridiculous, especially in a series like this? Really, everyone in Iran (that has been under sanctions and without official Apple presence for the last 20 years) is using iPhones, Macs and iPads? Give me a break. Android probably has a 95% market share there. Probably Eddie Cue's brainchild...

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
Does anyone else start to feel that Apple's insistence on all show characters using Apple products is starting to get ridiculous, especially in a series like this? Really, everyone in Iran (that has been under sanctions and without official Apple presence for the last 20 years) is using iPhones, Macs and iPads? Give me a break. Android probably has a 95% market share there. Probably Eddie Cue's brainchild...
Apple indeed has no official presence in Iran, but iPhones are very widespread there, especially in urban centers like Tehran. Macs less so but you still see them. The Apple TV+ world of course does not match reality and is ridiculous even in shows like Ted Lasso. Ordinary Iranians have been under sanctions for decades and have learned how to cope and get around them, since they want to live like everybody else. And non-ordinary Iranians are not concerned with sanctions very much at all…

Reactions: Alwis and Jxdawg

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Also, keep in mind that the Tehran series was created in Israel and picked up by Apple TV for the U.S. market. Given Apple’s support of the series it is absolutely logical that they would want their products used, just as any company would.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The first 2 episodes were fine, but I hope Milad (the boyfriend) doesn't ruin the season. I want espionage and danger, not Tamar and Milad's love story. Faraz was the best thing about the first season and I am glad he's back front and center. Glenn Close is always great in anything she's in.

Reactions: Canyonero and Alwis

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
. . . Faraz was the best thing about the first season and I am glad he's back front and center. . .
I agree completely! Even more so this year, Faraz looks to be the unappreciated one in the Islamic Guard and if he wasn't the bad guy then you'd have to be rooting for him to prevail over his superiors who don't appreciate how smart he is in figuring out what is really going on! He shows moments of compassion with Tamar's father, and with his wife although the situation with his wife looks very problematic this season.

interstella

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
What's with the audio in season 2? Most of it in Hebrew with the occasional seemingly random line of English dialogue. Hebrew subtitles by default and have to manually change to English subtitles. Anyone else have this?

Edited to add the missing word "random".

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
What's with the audio in season 2? Most of it in Hebrew with the occasional seemingly line of English dialogue. Hebrew subtitles by default and have to manually change to English subtitles. Anyone else have this?
This is a problem with Apple TV+'s other multi-language titles, such as Pachinko. I wish there was a "native" or "automatic" language choice.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I haven't noticed an issue with the subtitles but this is a show that you definitely need to pay attention to because some of the dialogue is in Farsi and you can't follow what is happening without watching the screen constantly, which I don't mind at all.

trhoffmann

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2019
For me, Glenn Close is badly miscast in this. Season 1 plotline was interesting. Season 2 which seems to be all about Tamar getting revenge for her relatives being hanged as traitors holds little interest for me. Hopefully the scope of the operation will expand beyond this into something more interesting.

Alwis

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2017
I to think, that season 1 was better. Season 2 is OK, but not as good as the first.

Milad annoys me most of the time, he is on screen...

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
I actually slightly prefer this season, i feel its a little tighter. It definitely would be improved by Milad being left in the North Tehran Police station jail though. ?

Reactions: Isamilis and Jxdawg

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 17, 2019
I actually slightly prefer this season, i feel its a little tighter. It definitely would be improved by Milad being left in the North Tehran Police station jail though. ?
Same. Milad is the biggest downfall of this season. But otherwise, I think the pace is better than season 1. But more action.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
For me, Glenn Close is badly miscast in this. Season 1 plotline was interesting. Season 2 which seems to be all about Tamar getting revenge for her relatives being hanged as traitors holds little interest for me. Hopefully the scope of the operation will expand beyond this into something more interesting.
Glenn Close's character is given very little reasons to be a westerner. So her involvement feels like stunt casting.

More distracting is how her character mixes Farsi and English. She should speak Farsi when talking to Iranians, and English when talking to Mosad. That aside, Close's performance is very solid and her Faris sounds pretty convincing to me.

Regarding the season, I feel like the stakes are smaller, which helps it stay more focused. The tennis club scene was effective. A bit less effect is how no one but Faraz recognize Tamar walking in plain sight.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
The mission this season is less clear, how it will be accomplished, but the tension each episode is still very high. Faraz is such a good character, more and more conflicted each week but fighting to find Tamar. And now he has found her and what will he do? Remember, Tamar showed mercy to him at the end of the last season (after he told her how he had spared her father)!

Reactions: Isamilis

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I really like the rhythm in the last episode. But the boy boy is so useless. I feel this season is better than the first one with less incoherences.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The latest episode certainly moved things along... and fast.

The final scene felt a bit clumsy though. Also, didn't Faraz's wife touch Faraz's hands? I guess he washed his hands before the meal.

My favorite element about this series is that it portrays both the villains (IRGC) and the heroes (Mossad) as deeply flawed. I am not really sure which side I am rooting for exactly, but I want Faraz and his wife to be happy. And Tamar to finish her misdirected mission, go home, and retire in some tropical island.

Reactions: Phil77354

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
In the last scene, fight between Faraz and Ali looks unnatural. Also, Faraz’s wife suddenly become very normal (contrast to her condition in earlier episodes).

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
So thats it then? Has a third series been greenlit? It did feel a bit like a final finale though they did leave a few threads...

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
So thats it then? Has a third series been greenlit? It did feel a bit like a final finale though they did leave a few threads...
If greenlit, I would like to see Tamar joining Faraz to expose the corruptions and evils within Mossad and IRGC.

I think Faraz closed all the loose ends, so his fate (for now) is probably safe. He will probably rise within IRGC, granting him more inside access and power. The head that succeeds Mohammadi is probably going to be much more evil (Mohammadi was portrayed as pretty cool guy actually, minus the corruptions).

For Tamar,
with Mohammadi gone, her focus is probably exposing Mossad

Reactions: FightTheFuture
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.