Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Did.. di.. Did the US lust lose to Canada?

Yep. Dreadful result. Though observing the hysteria it has created in Canada is amusing. Berhalter will be under a lot of pressure now. He was an excellent manager at Columbus, so I am heavily biased in his favor. But the usual mob of impatient armchair managers will be crucifying him on the interwebs. I find it hard to believe the poor individual performances are down solely to him though. There has been a funk in the USA dressing room for years now.

At least Zack Steffen is getting the credit he deserves.

I should add - I could not possibly care less about the CONCACAF Nations League. It makes some sense for UEFA to do this, but in CONCACAF a Nations League means more meaningless matches against CONCACAF teams.

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Yep. Dreadful result. Though observing the hysteria it has created in Canada is amusing. Berhalter will be under a lot of pressure now. He was an excellent manager at Columbus, so I am heavily biased in his favor. But the usual mob of impatient armchair managers will be crucifying him on the interwebs. I find it hard to believe the poor individual performances are down solely to him though. There has been a funk in the USA dressing room for years now.

At least Zack Steffen is getting the credit he deserves.

I should add - I could not possibly care less about the CONCACAF Nations League. It makes some sense for UEFA to do this, but in CONCACAF a Nations League means more meaningless matches against CONCACAF teams.

Did they apologise for beating us.. ya know, cos they're Canadien ...?

Reactions: Lord Blackadder

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Just as the previous week was filled with ludicrous press hype about Liverpool definitely smashing Man Utd, next week will be filled with equally ludicrous press hype about how terrible Liverpool are and how this is where the season falls apart.

Man Utd were massively up for this derby in terms of effort and morale, the crowd were up for it, and - yes, I will mention the obvious - Origi was absolutely obviously fouled in the buildup to Man Utd's goal. There is simply no arguing that. On the other hand, there was no justification under the current rules to disallow the goal on the those grounds. The ref made a clear mistake, and that is still going to happen from time to time. In this case it results in an unavoidable talking point. No complaints about Mane's goal being disallowed, at least from what I saw live.

Lallana the unlikely hero for Liverpool to rescue a point. Man City claw back some territory. Historically, this is a good result at OT but Man Utd aren't the team they once were. So what would have been a bad day for Man Utd fans back in the Ferg years becomes a good one for a team who have very little else to play for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just as the previous week was filled with ludicrous press hype about Liverpool definitely smashing Man Utd, next week will be filled with equally ludicrous press hype about how terrible Liverpool are and how this is where the season falls apart.

Man Utd were massively up for this derby in terms of effort and morale, the crowd were up for it, and - yes, I will mention the obvious - Origi was absolutely obviously fouled in the buildup to Man Utd's goal. There is simply no arguing that. On the other hand, there was no justification under the current rules to disallow the goal on the those grounds. The ref made a clear mistake, and that is still going to happen from time to time. In this case it results in an unavoidable talking point. No complaints about Mane's goal being disallowed, at least from what I saw live.

Lallana the unlikely hero for Liverpool to rescue a point. Man City claw back some territory. Historically, this is a good result at OT but Man Utd aren't the team they once were. So what would have been a bad day for Man Utd fans back in the Ferg years becomes a good one for a team who have very little else to play for.

Of course Manchester United were up for this game - they were playing at home, after all, and ended to show that they weren't quite as dismal as recent matches had suggested - and Liverpool weren't going to win every match they played. Seventeen sequential victories is a fine statistic to be able to lay claim to.

As things stand, Liverpool are still unbeaten this season, the only team of which this can be said. And they kept fighting, scoring two goals, one of which was disallowed, after they went behind in the first half.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Rojo looked like an amateur during that goal. I feel like Man U could have won this but they still have trouble actually hitting the net and poor individual players like Rojo and Fred don’t help either.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Rojo looked like an amateur during that goal. I feel like Man U could have won this but they still have trouble actually hitting the net and poor individual players like Rojo and Fred don’t help either.

I would have been very surprised if Manchester United had won, though they did play well in the first half.

However, Liverpool are too good for them at the moment, and, once they went behind, were about to throw everything that they had at the match in order to retrieve a point at the very least.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I would have been very surprised if Manchester United had won, though they did play well in the first half.

However, Liverpool are too good for them at the moment, and, once they went behind, were about to throw everything that they had at the match in order to retrieve a point at the very least.
Yeah that’s true, as soon as I saw Liverpool start to complete some more passes and Man U just kick it away, I knew an equalizer was coming. That penalty would have all the conspiracy theorists coming out heh.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Yeah that’s true, as soon as I saw Liverpool start to complete some more passes and Man U just kick it away, I knew an equalizer was coming. That penalty would have all the conspiracy theorists coming out heh.

Derby matches really are self-contained, not jut another league league match; Liverpool should have won but it was always going to be a tight match and the luck fell to Man Utd on the day.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Derby matches really are self-contained, not jut another league league match; Liverpool should have won but it was always going to be a tight match and the luck fell to Man Utd on the day.

The important thing was that Liverpool fought back from the double whammy in the first half of Manchester United's goal (and the foul which preceded it), and their own disallowed goal, to look the stronger team in the second half when they claimed a point, and could well have won the match.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Man U got a victory against Partizan which is a good thing. Getting ready to watch Arsenal/Vitoria De Guimarães. I'm cheering for my Arsenal friends.

Thank you.

We could do with some cheering, because sometimes, it is difficult to raise a cheer for that team of perennial heart-breakers complete with their porous defence.

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Recently catched

Mou & Watzke.jpg

rumors have it the guy on the left is reportedly taking lessons in german

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I was going to put Vardy in my fantasy team last night but didn’t wasn’t to sell one of my other players.
Wish I had. Leicester were very impressive last night.

HT and West Ham are a goal to the good. But plenty of time for us to throw it away yet.

Reactions: Lord Blackadder

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Pulisic with a hat trick today. The jury is still very much out on Lampard and Chelsea, but I am happy to see the USA's best player shine at this level.

I don't want to be a curmudgeon, but all the praise Lampard and Chelsea are getting for playing "the kids" is entirely misplaced. They had to, because they cheated and got caught and can't buy any players. As soon as they can buy more players, they will. Some of the young Chelsea players will benefit from this experience and it will help their development - but again, not through any benevolence on the part of Chelsea.

Incredible scoreline for Leicester, though in matches like this it's really down to the losing team utterly collapsing.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Pulisic with a hat trick today. The jury is still very much out on Lampard and Chelsea, but I am happy to see the USA's best player shine at this level.

I don't want to be a curmudgeon, but all the praise Lampard and Chelsea are getting for playing "the kids" is entirely misplaced. They had to, because they cheated and got caught and can't buy any players. As soon as they can buy more players, they will. Some of the young Chelsea players will benefit from this experience and it will help their development - but again, not through any benevolence on the part of Chelsea.

Incredible scoreline for Leicester, though in matches like this it's really down to the losing team utterly collapsing.

I agree about Pulisic, this will do a lot for his confidence, and hopefully other American players will start to rise to his level of play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.