Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Another cheese that I am not sure has been mentioned thus far is the wonderful Lincolnshire Poacher, a cross between a sturdy cheddar and a Swiss mountain style cheese. Delicious, if you can lay hands on it.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I was watching some Buzzfeed like video today or yesterday of a man trying a few hundred dollars worth of cheeses from the Americas and Europe. One British cheese he tried was interesting. It was spongy like Lancashire bomb cheese. I need to ask my cheese guy if he can source it for me or make the trip out to the store they sourced the cheeses from and try it there and see if it's good or not. Snowdonia?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was watching some Buzzfeed like video today or yesterday of a man trying a few hundred dollars worth of cheeses from the Americas and Europe. One British cheese he tried was interesting. It was spongy like Lancashire bomb cheese. I need to ask my cheese guy if he can source it for me or make the trip out to the store they sourced the cheeses from and try it there and see if it's good or not. Snowdonia?

Any further details? Such as a name - many of the English cheeses have a clue to where they come from in their very name as they are named for where they have been made: Cheddar, Stilton, Bath Blue, Shropshire Blue, Lincolnshire Poacher, Red Leicester, Wensleydale, etc.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Any further details? Such as a name - many of the English cheeses have a clue to where they come from in their very name (Cheddar, Stilton, Bath Blue, Lincolnshire Poacher, Red Leicester, etc).
Its name was in the post? Snowdonia.

They make that Black Bomber cheese. Excellent stuff just has a very dodgy name that sounds strange when spoken out loud. Ruby Mist is the name of the particular cheese I saw. The Nature's Nectar is very good. I bought it last year around the holidays. It goes well with fruit, though that's a given since it's a flaky aged English cheddar impregnated with bits of dried fruit and honey crystals. Leans toward a dessert cheese; something you'd consume after dinner.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Cheese purchases today included: Gorgonzola Cremosa, Taleggio, Chaource, Brie de Meaux, Brillat Savarin, Stilton, Morbier, Époisses, Bleu d'Auvergne, Schnebelhorn and sheep's Gouda.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Yes, I have had this on occasion, a sort of blue Brie and very creamy, if my memory is correct.
When I bought the kilo wedge, I thought I had in my hand a brie. It wasn't until I opened up the refrigerator later that, no, it was in fact not a brie at all.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
When I bought the kilo wedge, I thought I had in my hand a brie. It wasn't until I opened up the refrigerator later that, no, it was in fact not a brie at all.

Cambozola is marketed as a blue Brie, and - the ones I have had - have always been an exceptionally mild, creamy, very soft blue cheese.

Personally, I wouldn't describe it as a blue Brie, more a sort of blue La Delice.

The good ones can be lovely, but, in general, I like a bit of bite in my blues.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Why remind me I was unable to secure La Delice this year? :( Winter needs to come soon enough to lower the custom order prices from Cheese Man TM.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Why remind me I was unable to secure La Delice this year? :( Winter needs to come soon enough to lower the custom order prices from Cheese Man TM.

I tried both La Delice and Brillat Savarin last week-end in the cheesemonger's, and, of the two, the Brilliat Savarin was the more mature.

But, at its best, La Delice is superb.

This morning, had Brillat Savarin, and Brie for breakfast with toasted French bread.

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I tried both La Delice and Brillat Savarin last week-end in the cheesemonger's, and, of the two, the Brilliat Savarin was the more mature.

But, at its best, La Delice is superb.

This morning, had Brillat Savarin, and Brie for breakfast with toasted French bread.
That's what surprised me. I first presumed there was a dairy shortage, which I know wasn't the case as prices hadn't soared via future padding. Second, I figured they'd forgotten but it was impossible to find everywhere. I'm not sure why... possibly denied of import due to something. Mass spoilage on the ship or plane.

I place reserves on large cheese orders each year around September-October for the holidays. I reserved the usual amount of Delice only to be told there was to be none available for the holidays. I had to break those reservations up into other cheeses equaling to that amount to maintain my reservation amounts. Difference of being able to reserve 10 kg of cheese or limited to 2 kg at most during peak.

I don't pay to reserve my sales amount. I reserve so I have plenty of wiggle room.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
So I eat so much cheese for lunch at work my little knife I have used it just not up to the leverage to cut the rind off hard cheeses. so I bought a hand forged Japanese knife made here in Portland to use instead. the little guy is made from the mater that taught the apprentice that made the bigger knife. I even made a little magnetic knife block to stick ot to my fridge.
IMG_1608.jpg
IMG_1606.jpg
IMG_1607.jpg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
great stuff.
Parmigiano Reggiano PDO"Vacche Rosse/Red cows" seasoned 40/48 months, not expensive only about 25.00 a pound but shipping from Italy is 50.00 so I bought 4 pounds and ti was the same shipping cost.
Thanks! I'll have to ask my cheese guy if he sells it or knows something similar. I take it has a buttery aftertaste?

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Thanks! I'll have to ask my cheese guy if he sells it or knows something similar. I take it has a buttery aftertaste?
buttery? no it is intense parrm taste good but it is more sour then the 2 year stuff but a lot more flavorful. the rind is hard as a rock and flavorless and thicker then usual so you loose some cheese because of it. . but I keep it on the counter it tastes better that way. I wish I could find it locally but it keeps well so buying 4 pounds is not a big a deal. https://www.amazon.com/Parmigiano-Reggiano-Vacche-Rosse-cows/dp/B01DMJL9BE/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2SKAKC6KKTGH2&keywords=parmigiano+reggiano&qid=1566522807&s=gateway&sprefix=parmi,aps,208&sr=8-7

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
buttery? no it is intense parrm taste good but it is more sour then the 2 year stuff but a lot more flavorful. the rind is hard as a rock and flavorless and thicker then usual so you loose some cheese because of it. . but I keep it on the counter it tastes better that way. I wish I could find it locally but it keeps well so buying 4 pounds is not a big a deal. https://www.amazon.com/Parmigiano-Reggiano-Vacche-Rosse-cows/dp/B01DMJL9BE/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2SKAKC6KKTGH2&keywords=parmigiano+reggiano&qid=1566522807&s=gateway&sprefix=parmi,aps,208&sr=8-7

No, buttery as in the aftertaste once the saltiness goes away. Like a film on the tongue.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
No, buttery as in the aftertaste once the saltiness goes away. Like a film on the tongue.
I see what you mean. it is not as salty as you would except. it leaves a tang in your mouth. myself it tends to irritate my esophagus like most things so I follow it up with another mellow cheese. everyone I have given some to for the most part has loved it but it can make you pucker a bit. not like cheddar though but it is so much better then most of the 24 month stuff we find .

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
So I eat so much cheese for lunch at work my little knife I have used it just not up to the leverage to cut the rind off hard cheeses. so I bought a hand forged Japanese knife made here in Portland to use instead. the little guy is made from the mater that taught the apprentice that made the bigger knife. I even made a little magnetic knife block to stick ot to my fridge. View attachment 854256 View attachment 854257 View attachment 854258

The knives look amazing and that wonderfully aged cheese (I had assumed aged Parmigiano Reggiano even before you confirmed it - the only other cheese I have seen with such crystallisation is an exceedingly aged - and stunning - Gouda) looks absolutely mouth-watering.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
The knives look amazing and that wonderfully aged cheese (I had assumed aged Parmigiano Reggiano even before you confirmed it - the only other cheese I have seen with such crystallisation is an exceedingly aged - and stunning - Gouda) looks absolutely mouth-watering.
I think I like the aged Gouda a bit better its not as strong. I just ordered some 7 year as I have not seen it locally in awhile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.