Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
For peculiar cheese, I do like a nice Layden. I love the flavor of cumin, and in a cheese it is fantastic. Brunost is another weird cheese that's very tasty or disgusting depending on how you feel about it. I've tried my own hand at manipulating soft cheeses with mixed results.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
This cheese goes well with almost everything; a robust beer, a good wine, chutneys, pickles, plain fresh bread, - you cannot go wrong with it.

Even grated, it is excellent.
for me it goes with cheese as I cant eat any of the above. though I have it with prosciutto. my new knife cut so easily through that cheese I almost cut myself.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
for me it goes with cheese as I cant eat any of the above. though I have it with prosciutto. my new knife cut so easily through that cheese I almost cut myself.

Well, one way that I like to serve it (with a rich, robust beer), is to cut it into nice cubes, and serve it in a little bowl, with cocktail sticks and olives.
[doublepost=1566590869][/doublepost]
For peculiar cheese, I do like a nice Layden. I love the flavor of cumin, and in a cheese it is fantastic. Brunost is another weird cheese that's very tasty or disgusting depending on how you feel about it. I've tried my own hand at manipulating soft cheeses with mixed results.

There are some excellent Dutch cheeses made with cumin, and they can be delicious agreed.

Brunost is more subjective; not only is it a cheese that one loves or hates, but I a assured by Norwegian friends that the quality varies enormously.

The Brunost that we manage to lay hands on abroad is usually some version of the commercial variety, but there are small local producers in Norway who make excellent versions, or so I have been informed.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
There are some excellent Dutch cheeses made with cumin, and they can be delicious agreed.

Brunost is more subjective; not only is it a cheese that one loves or hates, but I a assured by Norwegian friends that the quality varies enormously.

The Brunost that we manage to lay hands on abroad is usually some version of the commercial variety, but there are small local producers in Norway who make excellent versions, or so I have been informed.
That is true for just about any cheese. Quality varies, and I wouldn't place more faith in housemade being of higher quality. Stronger flavor, perhaps. I've probably tried about 100 different cheddars in my life from various sized makers. Smaller usually puts out a higher quality product, even though there's some quality mass makers but those carry a very high cost.

Brunost is, as you pointed out, a massive love it or hate it type of cheese. Its flavor always reminds me of condensed milk, not to be confused with sweetened condensed milk. The former has a very peculiar flavor if you've ever had it. Taste, intensity and texture vary wildly in what my cheese guy can get in at certain times of the year. I tend to not be a fan of cooked down condensed milk or its sweet counterpart into a caramel like substance, which I'm aware is another type of Nordic cheese made in the traditional method. It's said to taste like a soft cheese and caramel at the same time. However, this caramel made for sweets purposes isn't a flavor I like. When I was overseas in the Bloc for work many years ago I found most of the caramel candies to be made in this method. It isn't as palatable for me compared to a western style caramel. On the other hand, the Poles make a terrific soft chew caramel using the Bloc method. Slightly crumbly, soft center, richness and then it fades into obscurity. I remember trying to be sold onto the local brands but would pick out anything I could make out as being Polish.

And speaking of that, a good quality salted caramel sauce works well drizzled over a thick slice of brie on bread. This I discovered a while ago. My usual go to was a light citrus flower honey. Or apricot or tart plum preserves.

Edit: Apologies if this post doesn't read right.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That is true for just about any cheese. Quality varies, and I wouldn't place more faith in housemade being of higher quality. Stronger flavor, perhaps. I've probably tried about 100 different cheddars in my life from various sized makers. Smaller usually puts out a higher quality product, even though there's some quality mass makers but those carry a very high cost.

Brunost is, as you pointed out, a massive love it or hate it type of cheese. Its flavor always reminds me of condensed milk, not to be confused with sweetened condensed milk. The former has a very peculiar flavor if you've ever had it. Taste, intensity and texture vary wildly in what my cheese guy can get in at certain times of the year. I tend to not be a fan of cooked down condensed milk or its sweet counterpart into a caramel like substance, which I'm aware is another type of Nordic cheese made in the traditional method. It's said to taste like a soft cheese and caramel at the same time. However, this caramel made for sweets purposes isn't a flavor I like. When I was overseas in the Bloc for work many years ago I found most of the caramel candies to be made in this method. It isn't as palatable for me compared to a western style caramel. On the other hand, the Poles make a terrific soft chew caramel using the Bloc method. Slightly crumbly, soft center, richness and then it fades into obscurity. I remember trying to be sold onto the local brands but would pick out anything I could make out as being Polish.

And speaking of that, a good quality salted caramel sauce works well drizzled over a thick slice of brie on bread. This I discovered a while ago. My usual go to was a light citrus flower honey. Or apricot or tart plum preserves.

Edit: Apologies if this post doesn't read right.

Salted caramel is a flavour I like; whether it would appeal to me in a these, I cannot say.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Serious cheese purchases at the market and in the cheesemonger's: Gorgonzola Cremosa, Taleggio, Époisses, mature Brie, two types of aged Pecorino, mature Gouda, mature Comte, Shropshire Blue, and aged Cashel Blue.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Enjoy.

Saw two different Cambozolas today, but Gorgonzola and mature Brie wooed me instead.
Enjoyed this one more than the last few I'd bought. Very delice-esque. Went nicely with some whole meal (whole wheat) bread from the baker's over lunch with an escarole salad. Hot outside and calls for a light lunch and dinner.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'd love a half wheel of gouda right now. And keep the other half in the refrigerator for snacking. Fall's here. Almost. Tis gouda a season.

I used that line the other day. A long groan was heard coming from the other side of the kitchen.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I jut figured out how much cheese I was eating for lunch. with so many different cheeses it is easy to eat a lot. till last month I bet it was about 3/4 of a pound and I bet about 1500 or more calories. with my wacky body I lost weight on that and another 1200 or calories in meat and nuts. I had been cutting down as I did not feel I needed as much and I brought a scale to work. 8oz of cheese when you have added cheese is not a lot of cheese. but that's still around 1000 calories getting my total down to about 2200 a day. if my body ever rejected cheese I doubt I could eat enough calories.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
1 oz of firm to semi-hard cheese is around 110 calories. So around 2,000-2,400 calories. Which honestly isn't much if you move around quite a bit.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'd love a half wheel of gouda right now. And keep the other half in the refrigerator for snacking. Fall's here. Almost. Tis gouda a season.

I used that line the other day. A long groan was heard coming from the other side of the kitchen.

Yes, autumn is Gouda season; an aged Gouda is a real treat, - sweet, salty, savoury, crystalline - and keeps for a good long time.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
1 oz of firm to semi-hard cheese is around 110 calories. So around 2,000-2,400 calories. Which honestly isn't much if you move around quite a bit.
my body is strange I need more then normal calories. I think when I cut out all carbs I needed less and thats why I have been cutting back. this is 8oz of cheese and 6oz of pork loin. it seem a bit much but I don't want to go to low my body goes into starvation mode if I don't eat enough easily.
IMG_1633.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Went shopping for cheeses today: My haul included: Camembert Rustique; Delice de Bourgogne; Ballylisk; St Nectaire; Parmigiano Reggiano; Mimolette (a sort of French cheddar); Morbier; mature Cashel Blue.

Reactions: JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Went shopping for cheeses today: My haul included: Camembert Rustique; Delice de Bourgogne; Ballylisk; St Nectaire; Parmigiano Reggiano; Mimolette (a sort of French cheddar); Morbier; mature Cashel Blue.

That should make the weekend better. Did you pick up some wine to go with them?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That should make the weekend better.

Agreed.

French bread and good wine (or, a robust beer) will always help to make the week-end go better.

Did you pick up some wine to go with them?

No, as I still have two crates of (very good) wine.

I plan to purchase a few bottle over the coming days, however.

However, a crate of Belgian beers was delivered this morning.

Reactions: JamesMike
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.